Rogers group to buy Rams?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not?

Well gosh, let's see....could it be because the Ralph Wilson Bills are just going into year two of their 5 year 78 Million Dollar mega-deal they signed with Rogers Communications to bring at a regular season Bills game to Toronto each season? If Rogers turned around and brought the Rams into Toronto, I guess that would mean the NFL Toronto Rams wouldn't really still need to add a Bills "home" game to their schedule, would it? And on top of that, all of those Southern Ontario Bills' fans would now have their own NFL team to root for up in Toronto, meaning even less Bills fans for Buffalo. :lol:

Well gosh, let's see....could it be because the Ralph Wilson Bills are just going into year two of their 5 year 78 Million Dollar mega-deal they signed with Rogers Communications to bring at a regular season Bills game to Toronto each season? If Rogers turned around and brought the Rams into Toronto, I guess that would mean the NFL Toronto Rams wouldn't really still need to add a Bills "home" game to their schedule, would it? And on top of that, all of those Southern Ontario Bills' fans would now have their own NFL team to root for up in Toronto, meaning even less Bills fans for Buffalo. :flirt:

Yeah brilliant. I'm pretty sure Rogers, who is eager to buy an NFL team, would work out the details of the Ralph Wilson deal to bring Bills game up there. Even if meaning getting an NFL team up there (which they want badly), would mean eating the money paid for the Bills games and giving them back to the Bills. To them the lost money would be part of the cost to buy the Rams. Ralph would let it happen because he then would get more games back at his stadium and he could then sell them twice. This would sweeten the deal to get the Rams and Rogers would most likely have Ralph in his pocket for a "yes" vote. Yeah, I'm sure the Rogers group couldn't figure that out I guess huh? :lol:

Secondly, all of those southern Ontario fans wouldn't switch just because Toronto has a team. You kind of remind me of the defeatist attitude that the city of Buffalo currently has. Buffalo would virtually still have about the same amount of fans they do now. If they would just win, oh say more than once every ten years or so, they would have an even greater market share. Even though the Bills sellout most of their games while losing, alot of NFL cities fans would be sitting there like this: :w00t:

Like SF-Oak.....Balt-Wash.....

I think it would be great.

people are idiots. they have a contract with the bills. unless ralph chooses to break it, and i do not think he will, then there is no chance that the Rogers group could even talk to the STL team estate about buying it.

people are idiots. they have a contract with the bills. unless ralph chooses to break it, and i do not think he will, then there is no chance that the Rogers group could even talk to the STL team estate about buying it.

And there are other idiots who don't think this couldn't be taken care of. Gimmie a break. As a matter of fact, this contract could be broken, Ralph given the money and his games back as a way to get a "yes" vote in support of Rogers to get the Rams.

Wake up. Jesus. Have any of you ever done business? That contract wouldnt' hold them up if they want them bad enough.

Toronto's the same distance from Buffalo as Cleveland is? You're not from around here, I take it?

why yes, he must be from just 'round the corner, living in nearby atlanta.

sorry, couldn't resist.

but seriously, if you go back to The Associated Press story from the first press conference in Toronto announcing the series, i'm pretty sure it was noted that the Rogers Group would be open to going after any franchise and not strictly -- some people here write "strickly" so i'll use both -- the Bills.

jw

why yes, he must be from just 'round the corner, living in nearby atlanta.

sorry, couldn't resist.

but seriously, if you go back to The Associated Press story from the first press conference in Toronto announcing the series, i'm pretty sure it was noted that the Rogers Group would be open to going after any franchise and not strictly -- some people here write "strickly" so i'll use both -- the Bills.

jw

Yeah, I was just looking for that. Someone asked if the eight-game contract with the Bills would preclude them from striking a deal to buy and move another team, and the answer was no. I've been trying the Globe and Mail -- Brunt did some solid work on that story -- but I'll check AP instead. Was that your byline, or someone based in Toronto?

Yeah, I was just looking for that. Someone asked if the eight-game contract with the Bills would preclude them from striking a deal to buy and move another team, and the answer was no. I've been trying the Globe and Mail -- Brunt did some solid work on that story -- but I'll check AP instead. Was that your byline, or someone based in Toronto?

i wrote it but can't find that story online. i do know this to have been true at the time, according to one person inside the rogers group, who said the bills wouldn't have to be the only team they targeted and expressed confidence that teams in toronto and buffalo could co-exist. take that for what it is as i'm merelyl reporting what i was told.

that said, there has been a bit of a shakeup since, including but not entirely related to Ted Rogers' passing. so i don't know if the goal posts, as they put it, have changed.

keep in mind, however, that Goodell, when asked about addressing north america's 5th largest market with an nfl team, sidestepped the question by saying his first priority is addressing the 2nd largest market -- L.A.

jw

This is no difference than Cleveland and Buffalo and about the same distance. It may work, I don't think the NFL belongs outside the USA, the north has their product and we have ours. Keep the NFL in America only, their is plenty of money. players hate getting paid in Canadian coin or pesos for that matter.

If you have ever driven to Cleveland and to Toronto, I think you would realize, Toronto much much closer. Cleveland?

This would be terrible for us. I hate to say it, but I am counting on Rogers buying the Bills after Ralph dies, maybe playing in Hamilton. The Bills are gone, face it, when the old guy passes. I would rather have them close, than in LA or some godforsaken city in Texas or Florida.

The reality of them leaving Buffalo is here, just a matter of when.

Maybe Ralph will outlive us all!

It will be hard to maintain a rivalry when the Bills play in Los Angeles. That would be the net result of Toronto getting it's own team FYI.

PTR

Thanks Zoltan!

I hate to say it, but I am counting on Rogers buying the Bills after Ralph dies, maybe playing in Hamilton. I would rather have them close, than in LA or some godforsaken city in Texas or Florida.

You should be banned for offensive remarks like this

All contracts are voidable.

Ralph already has his money from Rogers. He was paid the entire amount up front. Ralph has NOTHING to lose in terms of the games already agreed to be played in TO.

The Rogers group would stand to make more with their own team.

Did I mention all contracts are voidable.

GO BILLS!!!

You should be banned for offensive remarks like this

OK, get ready to have Cleveland be your hometown team while the bills play in SoCal.

After all, Cleveland is only an hour and a half drive, easy for you.

I work for Rogers Communications in Toronto and I can tell you they are NOT looking at buying the Rams.

To throw moldy cold water on the inane rumour :lol: -

NFL does not allow corporate ownership of a franchise. After Ted Rogers passed away, there isn't a clear cut successor to his estate, given the wife & four children. Add the minor complication that NFL frowns on owners who also have controlling interests in other sports franchises (although select waivers have been granted), and this rumour is fleeting, at best.