Something to put you Nelson doubters

From the BB.com OTA summary

"Xavier Omon found the end zone on an outside run play inside the 10-yard line with Shawn Nelson making a good lead block on the play. "

I know its only practice but still....

Well...one can only hope that members of the OTA defense didn't ruffle their sun dresses or spill their pink lemonade fizzes. :w00t:

Fine will be the blocking back (and it looks like he's making plays in the passing game in OTA's) while Nelson will be the pass-catcher. Any blocking on Nelson's part will be gravy.

On the other hand, here's an excerpt from BB.com and Chris' Fan Friday edition for today:

"As for your receiver axiom, that’s usually the case. Anybody remember Eric Moulds’ breakout year? It was 1998, his third season in the league. Shawn Nelson is working hard here in OTAs, but his head is swimming.

Tight ends coach Charlie Coiner is constantly on him for his route execution and assignment errors. As more college players come to the NFL from the spread offense, more and more of them will struggle to adjust to a pro style offense in year one.

The route concepts and reading coverages are all foreign to rookies that come from that system. It’s going to take some time with Nelson I believe, so I don’t know that anyone should expect too much from him as a rookie."

Fine will be the blocking back (and it looks like he's making plays in the passing game in OTA's) while Nelson will be the pass-catcher. Any blocking on Nelson's part will be gravy.

Won't that be tantamount to telegraphing the coming play to the opposing defense?

Given that it seems that the OL will be an exercise in musical chairs, Royal might be missed more than suspected.

It will be interesting to see how the draft crop of college spread offense TEs will pan out in the pros.

Apparently, Fine has been lighting it up during the OTAs, and catching a ton of balls.

Remember those old signs at Sabres games about Lindy Ruff and Larry Playfair that said, "Lindy is and Larry doesn't."... At Bills games there should be ones that say "Roscoe will and Derek isn't".

Won't that be tantamount to telegraphing the coming play to the opposing defense?

Given that it seems that the OL will be an exercise in musical chairs, Royal might be missed more than suspected.

It will be interesting to see how the draft crop of college spread offense TEs will pan out in the pros.

The way to negate telegraphing that it's a pass if a pass-catching TE like Nelson is in the game...is by running the ball. And why will the OL "be an exercise in musical chairs?"

The way to negate telegraphing that it's a pass if a pass-catching TE like Nelson is in the game...is by running the ball. And why will the OL "be an exercise in musical chairs?"

Two rookies reportedly to be depended upon to start, and play in different spots than their college play, a new center who might be ok, or might have not been thought worth keeping by his former team, a large RT shifting over to LT.

Now rumor has it that they want to emphasize some level of "no-huddle" offense.

Strike up the band...

Two rookies reportedly to be depended upon to start, and play in different spots than their college play, a new center who might be ok, or might have not been thought worth keeping by his former team, a large RT shifting over to LT.

Strike up the band...

My only real beef with the draft.... Michael Oher seemed too perfect for the Bills.. even @ #11. I do think you will be happy with the rookie O-Linemen, and if the FA Center is a bust then maybe Wood becomes the starting Center. Still too many holes on Defense but they should score more(and hold on to the ball longer).

Remember those old signs at Sabres games about Lindy Ruff and Larry Playfair that said, "Lindy is and Larry doesn't."... At Bills games there should be ones that say "Roscoe will and Derek isn't".

I, for one, enjoyed that post.

Apparently, Fine has been lighting it up during the OTAs, and catching a ton of balls.

Fine will surprise you this year, he understands the offense, knows how to block, knows Trent, and did OK when given the chance last year. He will help Nelson get better with his Knowledge.

Strike up the band...

The Panthers wanted Hangartner back, but didn't have the money. Walker has played LT in the pros. Butler played RT in college. And shifting from college OC and OT to NFL OG is much easier than vice versa.

From the BB.com OTA summary

"Xavier Omon found the end zone on an outside run play inside the 10-yard line with Shawn Nelson making a good lead block on the play. "

I know its only practice but still....

Well that's terrific. I just hope Shawn is studying his 2000 page playbook, or he might have to stand on the sidelines in the "Hardy spot" all season. But it's nice to see Turk-ey allowing him to play on the what....4th team, blocking for Omon? Lucky Nelson made that block, or Turk-ey might have put him on the practice squad 4 months early!

Strange, try as I might, I just can't seem to envision "missing" Royal......