Just Say The Redskins Broke "Tampering" Rules

H2o

I think i heard that Albert's agent met with the redskins at the combine.

What I've read so far is that his agent officially met with Redskins personnel to discuss some of his other clients, but it's more than likely that there was also some talk of Haynesworth. But good luck proving it.

If the Redskins did tamper with Haynesworth than they should get draft picks taken away as well as fines and their cap lowered for a few seasons.

But if they do get draft picks taken than shouldn't the Titans receive them? It was the Titans who should get compensation for a player they lost due to the Redskins tactics. If I am the NFL I take away the Redskins second round choice if they don't make the playoffs but their first if they do make the playoffs and give that pick to the Titans. Than I would just take away their next third round draft choice. Which would take away either their first and third of their second and third.

You have to compensate the victim a little bit at least considering that they lost a free agent by shady means. I think the Titans wouldn't mind losing Haynesworth as much if they got an early second or late first back and didn't have to pay his contract on top of that.

If you make stiffer punishments for tampering teams will think twice about doing it. I know things like this usually get a fifth or fourth round pick taken away but teams that want a guy just usually see that as a small price to pay for a guy they wanted. If you take away two out of the first three picks than you make a team hurt

If the Redskins did tamper with Haynesworth than they should get draft picks taken away as well as fines and their cap lowered for a few seasons.

But if they do get draft picks taken than shouldn't the Titans receive them? It was the Titans who should get compensation for a player they lost due to the Redskins tactics. If I am the NFL I take away the Redskins second round choice if they don't make the playoffs but their first if they do make the playoffs and give that pick to the Titans. Than I would just take away their next third round draft choice. Which would take away either their first and third of their second and third.

You have to compensate the victim a little bit at least considering that they lost a free agent by shady means. I think the Titans wouldn't mind losing Haynesworth as much if they got an early second or late first back and didn't have to pay his contract on top of that.

I don't know that the Titans were penalized much more than the rest of the league. The real issue is that Haynesworth was about to be a free agent, and some of the other teams that might have pursued him by the book maybe didn't get that chance (assuming Hayneseworth actually did have discussions or an agreement with Washington before the opening of free agency.) Tennessee had plenty of chance to sign him, so I don't really think they lost out on anything.

I don't know that the Titans were penalized much more than the rest of the league. The real issue is that Haynesworth was about to be a free agent, and some of the other teams that might have pursued him by the book maybe didn't get that chance (assuming Hayneseworth actually did have discussions or an agreement with Washington before the opening of free agency.) Tennessee had plenty of chance to sign him, so I don't really think they lost out on anything.

There's also a proposal currently on the table to open a short window before free agency begins where agents can talk with other teams; this would prevent teams from gaining an advantage by breaking / bending the early contact rules.

Link: http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/...ering-rule.html

What will happen: the redskins will lose a 2nd day draft pick.

What should happen: Redskins lose a 1st rounder, give it to the titans, and the redskins cap # should be reduced by the size and length of haynesworth's contract value.

I guess its more the principle of the whole thing. The Titans might have been able to negotiate a contract if Hayneseworth didn't have knowledge of a huge offer coming his way from the Redskins. Its more of a precedent for future cases. If you tamper with a guy you should be prepared to give that team draft choices.

I don't know maybe its more of a the punishment should fit the crime deal. If you snake a teams player unfairly than they get your picks.

I guess its more the principle of the whole thing. The Titans might have been able to negotiate a contract if Hayneseworth didn't have knowledge of a huge offer coming his way from the Redskins. Its more of a precedent for future cases. If you tamper with a guy you should be prepared to give that team draft choices.

I don't know maybe its more of a the punishment should fit the crime deal. If you snake a teams player unfairly than they get your picks.

Not arguing with the 'Skins losing picks, I'm just saying that the reason that the Titans don't get those picks is because the whole league misses out by not having a fair shot at A.H. The Titans already had their shot, and Haynesworth was obviously going to wait to hit FA no matter what.