McGahee not the answer?

JP-era

Does anyone else out there have a feeling, in your gut, that McGahee may not be the answer?

Sure, I love what he has done and I love the potential.

But, he doesnt have his full speed back; will he ever?

He doesnt have Henrys ability to seem to bowl through defenders; dont we need that?

And, my biggest question is can he be trusted not to cough it up yet? Henry developed a problem in year 2

Do we know yet if he is injury prone? Henry has been pretty injury free and yet other comparable backs to McGahee are injury prone like Fred Taylor. He may be great on the field but what if he rarely see it due to injuries?

There is something to be said for a known quantity in Henry. We know hes durable, we know he will break tackles every game, we know he is productive for whole seasons not just some games.

When you have a stud back, dont you want to hang on to him like hes gold? Do we really have 2 studs? a PROVEN 2 stud RB's?

My opinion still is that McGahee should be our guy and Travis should be traded but I recently have been posing these questions in my head. There is some truth in keeping what works.

McGahee still wins as far as im concerned because of potential but the word implies that the potential is unrealized and the unrealization is where we should have some question marks still. What if next year McGahee is a flop and Henry is gone, what then?

My gut still tells me McGahee is the real deal and to be fair he does things Travis cant, but I feel we should be a touch conservative here and not be willing to toss away a proven stud before we know that the replacement is truly better.

Does anyone else out there have a feeling, in your gut, that McGahee may not be the answer?

He doesnt have Henrys ability to seem to bowl through defenders; dont we need that?

And, my biggest question is can he be trusted not to cough it up yet? Henry developed a problem in year 2

Do we know yet if he is injury prone? Henry has been pretty injury free and yet other comparable backs to McGahee are injury prone like Fred Taylor. He may be great on the field but what if he rarely see it due to injuries?

There is something to be said for a known quantity in Henry. We know hes durable, we know he will break tackles every game, we know he is productive for whole seasons not just some games.

When you have a stud back, dont you want to hang on to him like hes gold? Do we really have 2 studs? a PROVEN 2 stud RB's?

My opinion still is that McGahee should be our guy and Travis should be traded but I recently have been posing these questions in my head. There is some truth in keeping what works.

McGahee still wins as far as im concerned because of potential but the word implies that the potential is unrealized and the unrealization is where we should have some question marks still.  What if next year McGahee is a flop and Henry is gone, what then?

My gut still tells me McGahee is the real deal and to be fair he does things Travis cant, but I feel we should be a touch conservative here and not be willing to toss away a proven stud before we know that the replacement is truly better.

104861[/snapback]

The verdict is impending, but incomplete, on McG. What seems essential is that we get a qualified figure on his value-- starting him now gives us the sum of the season to measure him-- before we make a decision on what comes next. Henry plays hurt, but is hardly durable-- that he plays through injuries is commendable, but to what extent they affect his play is the real measure of his durability.

I agree that Henry is a better-known commodity, and that is to be valued, but I doubt he will be shipped for less than that value, or BEFORE we know McGahee's. We don't currently have two stud RB's, two known commodities. We don't even truly have one. We know Henry is a better than average back (who still has unrealized potential: what would he make of an entire season as a feature back, with his experience and knowledge of the new offense, without the enduring nag of injuries, old and new?) and we know that McGahee is likely better than average (and still has unrealized potential, with, essentially, the same questions as Henry); we don't know who is better, and likely never will-- there just isn't the time, or luxury, for mid-season comparative analyses.

While I agree that we should be thorough in our analysis, I don't think a full-term, comparative analysis is necessary, or to be expected.

You say that you should go with the proven veteran, instead of with a 2nd year player who has only played a few games (albeit good ones). By that logic, Belichick made a mistake when he chose to give Bledsoe's starting role to Brady. Travis Henry is our Drew Bledsoe. And Drew Bledsoe? He's our Drew Bledsoe too.

McGahee still wins as far as im concerned because of potential but the word implies that the potential is unrealized and the unrealization is where we should have some question marks still.  What if next year McGahee is a flop and Henry is gone, what then?

104861[/snapback]

Hell, I had the same worries about Thurman his first year. Not every RB is a rookie free-agent walk-on with the Broncos...some of them actually need time to prove themselves.

And for someone who's not a rookie free-agent walk-on with he Broncos, McGahee's acquitting himself rather well so far. Good to be aware he's unproven...but there's no need to dwell on it.

the only thing mcgahee has proven thus far is that if he starts, he gets 100+ yards and the bills win.  here's to extending that streak tomorrow.

105258[/snapback]

Here here.

Willis is like Thurman in that it just seems nobody gets a real clean shot on him, he twists and turns and the defenders get glancing blows, but no straight ahead sitting duck shots.

I think that, along with his better vision, will mean Willis won't be subject to putting the ball on the carpet as frequently as Travis did there for awhile. Also, Travis' forearms are pretty short, elbow to wrist. I think that contributed to his fumblitis as well, and that's a problem Willis doesn't have to worry about.

If he gets all of his speed back, he'll be much better than the very good he is now.

Ah-hah! It is Rudy!

He must have a hell of a rough time forming any relationships with that attitude.

Gee, she is a fabulous gal, and says she loves me, but what if she lying? Is she prone to being struck by a bus? Maybe she has some illness. Shoot I better break up with her before she implodes!!!!

104861[/snapback]

Wow, how do you define "bowling through defenders"?

If you mean giving LB's a stiffarm and putting them on their a$$, or if you mean gaining extra yards after the first hit, or if you mean ability to get the tough yards in short distance or goal line situations, ahhhhhh, I think we'll be "OK" with Willis.

Actually, Willis has already convinced me that he far surpasses TH in all of these categories.

104861[/snapback]

Yes. You're right. Let's keep him on the bench where he belongs.

In fact, we should opt out of the draft entirely.

Remember in every rookie draft pick there's lurking a rotten under-achieving malcontent who's just waiting to disappoint his fans. I say, "Don't give 'em a chance to crush our feelings."

Who do these rookies think they are anyway? Who needs 'em?

[/sARCASM]

1. You must not be watching closely because Willis has shown tremendous power since he got here, way more than most people thought. He's bigger and stronger than Travis and has proven it. He has also shown a tremendous straight-arm, like Travis, and shoves defenders to the ground or away from him.

2. Travis had a history of fumbling at Tennessee, as AKC will quickly point out. It wasn't as pronounced as it became in year two with the Bills but there is no denying that he has small hands, and tends to be careless. He is a lot better than he used to be protecting the ball and it no longer seems to be a huge issue with him but Willis never had a history of fumbling and I havent seen him drop it yet.

3. Willis is a stud, and complete back. He was a stud in college. Travis was great in college and racked up yards but was never considered a stud by scouts, which is why he lasted until late in the second round in the draft. Even with the horrible injury, Willis was picked by the same drafting team a full round earlier, and as everyone knows would have gone in the top 3-5 without the injury. Travis had no such pedigree.

I love Travis. I think we should keep him next year, too, simply because we are never likely to get in trade what he is worth as a player, even if he rides the bench. And you never know what will happen, a team needs a good to great back-up running back. Willis could easily sustain an injury completely unrelated to his formerly bad knee. But Willis does all the things well that Travis does well, and can block better, catch better, and likely break a long one better. He has proven all he needs to prove, for the most part. This isn't like a guy from nowhere, Mewelde Moore, for example, who wasn't expected to do well and suddenly puts up good numbers in his first couple games. This is a big, fast, strong, talented, major college stud who scored 28 TDs on the biggest stage.

Yes. You're right. Let's keep him on the bench where he belongs.

In fact, we should opt out of the draft entirely.

Remember in every rookie draft pick there's lurking a rotten under-achieving malcontent who's just waiting to disappoint his fans. I say, "Don't give 'em a chance to crush our feelings."

Who do these rookies think they are anyway? Who needs 'em?

[/sARCASM]

105460[/snapback]

ah ha nanker, remember we cant ditch the draft, the onyl way to get good rookies is to trade down and get all 7th rounders, because everyone drafted before then will just turn into an overpriced bust...

Ah-hah!  It is Rudy!

He must have a hell of a rough time forming any relationships with that attitude.

Gee, she is a fabulous gal, and says she loves me, but what if she lying?  Is she prone to being struck by a bus?  Maybe she has some illness.  Shoot I better break up with her before she implodes!!!!

105446[/snapback]

ha