Geeky John Clayton has Bills as one team "set to shock"

This is linked on the front page of TBD:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=4163640

Excerpt:

Buffalo Bills: This one might be a surprise because I'm going against the formula. The Bills' .570 schedule is the sixth-hardest in the league. Whether they've played hard schedules or easy schedules, the Bills have finished 7-9 for three straight seasons. Their break is "non-common" non-division games against the Cleveland Browns and Kansas City Chiefs, which are winnable. Plus, Terrell Owens should add scoring punch to their offense. He usually takes an offense to an average of 24.0 ppg or better because of his ability to catch touchdown passes. The Bills averaged 21.0 ppg last year. A two-point improvement could put them at 9-7.

First John Clayton announced the Bills are one of his surprise teams

I just read similar from Don Banks

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...ider/index.html

Buffalo -- Was the Bills' 5-1 start last season a mirage? It's possible, given the five teams Buffalo beat in that span finished a combined 24-56 (.300), with only one of them (the 8-8 Chargers) turning respectable later in the season. It's a make-or-break season in Buffalo, because Dick Jauron and his staff know a fourth consecutive 7-9 finish spells the end, and that should lend both clarity and urgency to the situation.

Signing Terrell Owens was the ultimate win-now move, but a good short-term fix for an offense in desperate need of more points and production. The Bills' reworked offensive line remains a work in progress, but the season should rise or fall on the progress Trent Edwards makes in his second full season as a starter, and the development of offensive coordinator Turk Schonert as a play-caller.

If both aren't markedly better, the Bills will stretch the AFC's longest playoff drought to a decade

Six 2008 playoff teams who won't repeat

Miami -- The Dolphins' 10-win improvement last season was a turnaround for the ages, but Miami might wind up wishing it hadn't set the bar quite so high in the first year of the Tony Sparano era. I like what the Dolphins are building, but I can't see them duplicating their 2008 success, when they won eight of their 11 games by margins of nine points or less. Last year, Miami had the NFC West and AFC West on its schedule. The party's over, because this season it's the considerably tougher NFC South and AFC South that the Dolphins draw.

Miami helped itself in the secondary in the draft and free agency, but that's not going to be enough to separate the Dolphins in the AFC East because I think the Patriots, Jets and Bills all got better on defense. And if I were a Fish fan, it would make me nervous that Chad Pennington has rarely put together two big seasons in a row without an injury or a benching.

WOW, he has us going 9-7 What a terrific breakthrough year. We need Sean Salisbury back in his face.

I don't think he predicts the Bills to finish at 9-7. He makes the statement that an increase in offensive production of only two points/game over last year would put them at 9-7.

Either way, it's just Clayton spit-balling.

I don't think he predicts the Bills to finish at 9-7. He makes the statement that an increase in offensive production of only two points/game over last year would put them at 9-7.

Either way, it's just Clayton spit-balling.

Move over Albert Einstein. 7+2 = uhmmmmmmm........-I envision a Brian Regan bit....

He said the same about the Bills last year.

and he would have been right if we had no division games. our bad record was partly as the result of miami and the NY getting better than we expected. we probably expected to beat them each at least once, which would have put us at 9-7.

I agree that with one exception the bills are set to shock, but that exception is the offensive line. Not one truly seasoned player on the line playing in his regular position, two rookies and an offense that almost HAS to rely on the outside receivers getting open and TE having time to get the ball off. I think they will shock, but not in a positive way. I think Maybin will help a bit on defense,but I'm going on a lick and promise regarding our passing game. By the fourth game of the season if TO is getting open and not getting the ball, Evans noticing what gets attention (and trades) Lynch back off suspension and vying with Jackson for playing time...I could see things getting extremely toxic. God I hope that doesn't happen.

WOW, he has us going 9-7 What a terrific breakthrough year. We need Sean Salisbury back in his face.

You should stay off of message boards if you are illiterate or just struggle with general reading comprehension.

A two-point improvement could put them at 9-7.

That statement in no way whatsoever implies he believes they will finish 9-7, since we have no way to predict how many PPG the Bills will score this year. All he is saying is that with TO we can expect AT LEAST 2 more PPG, which should translate AT LEAST into a 9-7 record, which could make the playoffs (but I doubt it will in the AFC).

an offense that almost HAS to rely on the outside receivers getting open and TE having time to get the ball off. I think they will shock, but not in a positive way.

Tennessee Boy I usually agree with your posts but I'm not really sure what you are talking about here. All offenses have to rely on receivers getting open in the passing game and the QB having time to get the ball in the air. But the Bills offense is much more dynamic than most in that we have a dominating running game with several tiers of talented backs to throw at people to offset a very dangerous looking passing game. Our O-line play is going to be critical, but at worst we should be able to rely on a ground-n-pound running game to carry us while our line builds chemistry and experience. At best, we could see the Bills explode into an offensive juggernaut pretty much overnight. It all depends on the tackle play I think.

in other news Chris Mortensen predicts the Bills will go 0-20 and be relegated to Div 3 college ball. Is heard saying, "Never would have happened under Donahoe..."

As Tigger would say, "That's ridicerous". How do you have them being 0-20 and a div. III college ball team when the last 3 seasons they have finished 7-9 as an NFL franchise. I see the humor but please. As far as picking on Chris, hell yeah but find something else that really makes him the ass.

Guest dog14787
Tennessee Boy I usually agree with your posts but I'm not really sure what you are talking about here. All offenses have to rely on receivers getting open in the passing game and the QB having time to get the ball in the air. But the Bills offense is much more dynamic than most in that we have a dominating running game with several tiers of talented backs to throw at people to offset a very dangerous looking passing game. Our O-line play is going to be critical, but at worst we should be able to rely on a ground-n-pound running game to carry us while our line builds chemistry and experience. At best, we could see the Bills explode into an offensive juggernaut pretty much overnight. It all depends on the tackle play I think.

Couldn't have said it better, all of our RB's think they belong on the field and are going to be more than willing to prove it and now that we have a decent prospect at the TE position, between Nelson and TO, defenses will be on their collective heels trying to slow down Buffalo's short and intermediate pass and run game.

Couldn't have said it better, all of our RB's think they belong on the field and are going to be more than willing to prove it and now that we have a decent prospect at the TE position, between Nelson and TO, defenses will be on their collective heels trying to slow down Buffalo's short and intermediate pass and run game.

agree w you and the quoted post.

imo, the idea for our o line is that young smart nasty hungry guys PLAYING AS A UNIT will beat out allstar giant softies (like our old line, or dallas, or philly a couple of years ago). we are going the pats, packers of early 2k, ny giants route. we will of course have some growing pains, but if they can run block well, and do just enough in the passing game, teams blitzing us will get hurt due to the great set of skill talent we've got.

with marshawn and jackson, we have a threat in the running game from all formations and with two top level studs on the outside, along with some role players closer to the line, we can hurt teams in the passing game for the first time in a long while.

it comes down to trent growing into his role, and i think he will.

All these look out for the Bills threads reminds me of all those picks going into last year. Last year we were picked to shock a lot of people and early on those picks looked good but we all know how that turned out.

Over the great drought of the 2000's there have been at least five or six seasons where we were picked to shock and get into the playoffs. The Bills this year are the epitome of the typical mid-level NFL team. They have the same amount or close to the same amount of talent as 70% of the NFL. They are better than 15% of the NFL and worse than 15% of the NFL.

Like most teams the Bills season depends on three factors. One the injury bug, two the in game luck factor, and three just the talent clicking. If the bills can avoid massive injuries, get a lucky call/bounce that swings a game or two our way, and have these new additions work out than we will be 10-6 and make the playoffs. If not we will finish 6-10 to 8-8 or worse if all of those things don't go our way.

With all that being said I like this team but it also depends on our coaching if DJ can just avoid making big mistakes and if our OC can maximize all of our weapons. While I know the coaching staff doesn't exactly inspire confidence there have been worse staffs to make the playoffs.

First John Clayton announced the Bills are one of his surprise teams

I just read similar from Don Banks

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...ider/index.html

Buffalo -- Was the Bills' 5-1 start last season a mirage? It's possible, given the five teams Buffalo beat in that span finished a combined 24-56 (.300), with only one of them (the 8-8 Chargers) turning respectable later in the season. It's a make-or-break season in Buffalo, because Dick Jauron and his staff know a fourth consecutive 7-9 finish spells the end, and that should lend both clarity and urgency to the situation.

Signing Terrell Owens was the ultimate win-now move, but a good short-term fix for an offense in desperate need of more points and production. The Bills' reworked offensive line remains a work in progress, but the season should rise or fall on the progress Trent Edwards makes in his second full season as a starter, and the development of offensive coordinator Turk Schonert as a play-caller.

If both aren't markedly better, the Bills will stretch the AFC's longest playoff drought to a decade

Six 2008 playoff teams who won't repeat

Miami -- The Dolphins' 10-win improvement last season was a turnaround for the ages, but Miami might wind up wishing it hadn't set the bar quite so high in the first year of the Tony Sparano era. I like what the Dolphins are building, but I can't see them duplicating their 2008 success, when they won eight of their 11 games by margins of nine points or less. Last year, Miami had the NFC West and AFC West on its schedule. The party's over, because this season it's the considerably tougher NFC South and AFC South that the Dolphins draw.

Miami helped itself in the secondary in the draft and free agency, but that's not going to be enough to separate the Dolphins in the AFC East because I think the Patriots, Jets and Bills all got better on defense. And if I were a Fish fan, it would make me nervous that Chad Pennington has rarely put together two big seasons in a row without an injury or a benching.

I read those and questioned Banks logic. We will be playing the same tough southern divisions that Miami has on its schedule. Is T.O. going to make that big a difference?