Smart move obama.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One day they are drooling at their prospects, and the next they are frothing... who can tell the difference?

The release of those could serve the public no good. Then again, why would the ACLU care about our troops in theater.

In a dramatic and high-profile reversal for his young administration, President Barack Obama is seeking to block the release of 44 photographs depicting abuse of detainees in U.S. military custody in Iraq and Afghanistan.

If Obama releases the photo's he's wrong, and it he doesn't release the photo's he's wrong.

What a perfect life.

If Obama releases the photo's he's wrong, and it he doesn't release the photo's he's wrong.

What a perfect life.

It's called playing both sides of the fence. It's what he does. You're just foolish enough to have not figured it out yet. It's what people here have pointed out since he was elected. The masses will see through his schtick soon enough though.

It's called playing both sides of the fence. It's what he does. You're just foolish enough to have not figured it out yet. It's what people here have pointed out since he was elected. The masses will see through his schtick soon enough though.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he realized after the first batch of releases that it maybe wasn't a great idea in the grand scheme of things, and that perhaps after several months he's starting to see the difference between idealism and realpolitik.

Changing his mind, though... :thumbsup: It's usually better to appear decisive and wrong than it is to appear indecisive.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he realized after the first batch of releases that it maybe wasn't a great idea in the grand scheme of things, and that perhaps after several months he's starting to see the difference between idealism and realpolitik.

Changing his mind, though... :thumbsup: It's usually better to appear decisive and wrong than it is to appear indecisive.

But wasn't it just a few weeks ago he was against proscution for Bush admin officials before he was for it? And isn't the release of the memos/pictures in direct support of that decision? Now that the truth is out that his peeps knew about this tactic also it seems to be blowing up.

Make no mistake about it, I'm glad he came to his senses, for whatever reason. I personally think he's trying to provide shelter to rubber face Pelosi and calm the firestorm.

The release of those could serve the public no good. Then again, why would the ACLU care about our troops in theater.

Dude they have a lot of work to do over there and I doubt there is much time to watch movies.

:thumbsup::lol::nana:

I would imagine there are some pretty incendiary photos in there. But he didn't order them withheld, he ordered the attorneys to object to their release. The ACLU is already filing to get them released. And I imagine eventually some will be released, and some will be withheld.

Obama's point that there was abuse, and it was bad, is being made by his decision to withhold them - without letting the rest of the world see them.

I personally don't really care if they come out, or not. I won't look at them any more than I want to hear the audio tapes of that freaking Colgan Air plane coming down in Clarence.

At least this President is letting us see all the dead soldiers' caskets coming home instead of pretending they didn't exist. Those are all the photos we need to remind us that war sucks.

Changing his mind, though... :thumbsup: It's usually better to appear decisive and wrong than it is to appear indecisive..and right??.

Up the meds tom.......

Or kill the cats......

seems to work for you......not the cats, though.

Damn you, President Obama! Damn you for keeping your promise to act pragmatically!

Only a true leader will do on Thursday what they said they would do on Tuesday, no matter what happens on Wednesday! Oh, how will America survive a leader who uses pragmatism to arrive at a correct decision?

Damn you, President Obama! Damn you for keeping your promise to act pragmatically!

Only a true leader will do on Thursday what they said they would do on Tuesday, no matter what happens on Wednesday! Oh, how will America survive a leader who uses pragmatism to arrive at a correct decision?

Actually, it's very unpragmatic to say your going to do something, then change your mind 48 hours later. Much better (and more honest) to say "I'm giving it all due consideration, but I haven't decided yet."

Actually, it's very unpragmatic to say your going to do something, then change your mind 48 hours later. Much better (and more honest) to say "I'm giving it all due consideration, but I haven't decided yet."

Oh, yeah, that's so much different . . .

Oh, yeah, that's so much different . . .

Yes...it is. Only a child who hasnt developed multi dimentional thinking yet would feel otherwise.

You want Obama to think and make decisions like a child would?

Maybe thats it...liberals are children. Its all about "feelings", casting away reality and one dimensional thinking.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-ed-...0,1797091.story

What a bunch of liberal bs.

"But what's the alternative? For one thing, it will be very difficult to keep the photos under wraps at this point. Shouldn't the administration at least get credit for making them public, rather than waiting for them to be leaked to Seymour Hersh (as the Abu Ghraib pictures were)?"

So Obama should ask for them to be released, putting our troops waging war in further danger and potentially igniting more anger across the mideast....just so he can take credit for the photos being released?

"Like most Americans, we have not yet seen the images and don't know what they'll portray. But until they're made public, they seem likely only to inflame the imaginations of America's friends and enemies. The worst will be assumed."

More BS - the only people who want to see them are angry liberals and those who already hate America. In the 24 hour news cycle of today, if these aren't released they'll be forgotten by most Americans, who I think have had enough.

Yes...it is. Only a child who hasnt developed multi dimentional thinking yet would feel otherwise.

Maybe thats it...liberals are children. Its all about "feelings", casting away reality and one dimensional thinking.

I think we can cut him some slack on this point - he *is* a child in the sense that he has not had any exposure to or formative experiences in nearly everything he is dealing with, from business to foreign affairs. Chrysler and Gitmo are just shiny blocks to play with right now, and he is only now discovering that playtime has boundaries. We may not like it, but we're going to have to live with it for a year or so while he grows into the job.

More to the point...Obama made a statement, then upon further reflection changed his mind.

Then why did he make the first statement to begin with? If you want to give something more thought, don't make policy statements on it without giving it more thought.