Why did the Bills hire Jauron?

Almost everybody likes Dick Juaron. He's an intelligent guy who treats his players respectfully, and who communicates well with the media and fan base. I don't think he's ever been given a really good roster - nor had the time to build one until now. My reserve extends to this year with him. We'll see what he can do with a roster fit to his ideas. It ultimately depends on the owner, but I believe he'll have to do awfully good this year to keep his job, just because there are so many high profile and proven coaches coming back next year. I'd say we need to go deep into the playoffs for him to stay. If we show we can win against NE and the other division teams, and play like we expect to win.... I think we almost have to be dominant this year for him to keep his job.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost everybody likes Dick Juaron. He's an intelligent guy who treats his players respectfully, and who communicates well with the media and fan base. I don't think he's ever been given a really good roster - nor had the time to build one until now. My reserve extends to this year with him. We'll see what he can do with a roster fit to his ideas. It ultimately depends on the owner, but I believe he'll have to do awfully good this year to keep his job, just because there are so many high profile and proven coaches coming back next year. I'd say we need to go deep into the playoffs for him to stay. If we show we can win against NE and the other division teams, and play like we expect to win.... I think we almost have to be dominant this year for him to keep his job.

Yes he is an excellent communicator, often begins with small talk about the weather.

Yes, there is. No coach has ever, nor will ever, win a game in the National Football League without doing anything right.

When the Bills win a football game, it means Dick Jauron did his job that week. The problem, obviously, is that he hasn't won enough football games. Thats no reason to deny credit for the wins he has gotten. To do so IS lunacy.

Teams don't win in the NFL when coaches don't get them prepared to play-- particularly young teams.

I don't think anyone is realistically denying that Jauron doesn't do anything right. The fact of the matter and history proves this beyond any shadow of a doubt, is that Jauron has a consistently losing record over 8 seasons as a head coach with 3 different teams.

You read that any way you want to. To expect that all of a sudden, he will start winning, is ..... well......

I think he did very well his first 2 years here. And made some terrible calls that cost us games last year. This is the year where I think we will really know how good of a coach he is. Plain and simple.

I think he did very well his first 2 years here. And made some terrible calls that cost us games last year. This is the year where I think we will really know how good of a coach he is. Plain and simple.

I agree with your assessment. It seems to me that there is a vast majority of fans who want to cling to his inequities and don't want to recognize any of his attributes. That MNF game against Dallas was a huge testiment of a greatly undermanned squad playing against a Goliath. It's too bad that it slipped away at the end.

I believe that jauron will stick to more of his strong suit and not gamble in a pressure situation. I'm not calling for a completely conservative gameplan but instead I'm expecting for him to take a couple of calculated shots down the field at oppotune times during the course of a game.

Btw, it's nice to see Edwards and Evans slated to appear at the Toronto-Yankee baseball game on May 14. Remember when Evans denounced Edwards as his QB? It's good to know that these two are forming a bond. I'm expecting Evans to be the break out receiver for this team instead of TO.

I don't think anyone is realistically denying that Jauron doesn't do anything right. The fact of the matter and history proves this beyond any shadow of a doubt, is that Jauron has a consistently losing record over 8 seasons as a head coach with 3 different teams.

You read that any way you want to. To expect that all of a sudden, he will start winning, is ..... well......

Right now, I'm just talking about the guy not getting credit when he does win, because thats what Tipster is asking about...the perception of Jauron among Bills fans IF he were to start winning more games this year. It really has nothing to do with his track record, or whether we actually expect him to do it.

Its just this "we won in spite of him!" garbage I read about after every win, its enough to drive a guy up the wall. When the team wins, the coach got the job done.

BTW, what are his attributes?

He has, and in that game especially, had teams that have played gritty at times. He's a class act as a person and other than Bills' fans I haven't heard anyone else ever say anything derogatory about him. All the players that I ever heard comment about him had nothing but praises to say about him. Take it for what it's worth but when I met Hargrove awhile back he couldn't say enough good things about him.

I'm wondering, what did this guy do that has so many fans pissed? Is it because he blew a few calls last year? I think that everything should be evaluated before drawing a final conclusion. What I mean by this is the guy might have tried to coach out of his comfort zone because of the level of players that he has. This doesn't excuse or justify him but it might help shed some understanding to what may have happened last year in those couple of games.

We can run him out of town but that doesn't mean that we're going to replace him with a Cowher or a Shannahan. There is always the realistic possibility that we end up with a Gregg Williams or a Mike Mularkey. For some of the older fans around here it could also be a Kay Stephenson or a Hank Bullough, we got that kind of capability in our decision making.

He has, and in that game especially, had teams that have played gritty at times. He's a class act as a person and other than Bills' fans I haven't heard anyone else ever say anything derogatory about him. All the players that I ever heard comment about him had nothing but praises to say about him. Take it for what it's worth but when I met Hargrove awhile back he couldn't say enough good things about him.

I'm wondering, what did this guy do that has so many fans pissed? Is it because he blew a few calls last year? I think that everything should be evaluated before drawing a final conclusion. What I mean by this is the guy might have tried to coach out of his comfort zone because of the level of players that he has. This doesn't excuse or justify him but it might help shed some understanding to what may have happened last year in those couple of games.

We can run him out of town but that doesn't mean that we're going to replace him with a Cowher or a Shannahan. There is always the realistic possibility that we end up with a Gregg Williams or a Mike Mularkey. For some of the older fans around here it could also be a Kay Stephenson or a Hank Bullough, we got that kind of capability in our decision making.

I like what Jauron did his first two years,the team played tough hard nosed football every week and the Bills were usually in every game.

My problem with Jauron is his decision to promote inexperienced coaches on offense, and it really hurt the Bills big time last season, and this season the O line is a disaster waiting to happen and Edwards will take the brunt of it.

Bobby April :lol:

I'm wondering, what did this guy do that has so many fans pissed?

Just a guess, 1 winning season out of 8?

A pathetic record vs. the better teams during the year?

A collapse so epic, the Bills are only the third team in the history of the NFL to do it?

Is it because he blew a few calls last year? I think that everything should be evaluated before drawing a final conclusion. What I mean by this is the guy might have tried to coach out of his comfort zone because of the level of players that he has. This doesn't excuse or justify him but it might help shed some understanding to what may have happened last year in those couple of games.

We can run him out of town but that doesn't mean that we're going to replace him with a Cowher or a Shannahan.

So what?

There is always the realistic possibility that we end up with a Gregg Williams or a Mike Mularkey. For some of the older fans around here it could also be a Kay Stephenson or a Hank Bullough, we got that kind of capability in our decision making.

Again, so what?

We know what kind of HC we have now. A suck ass one.

If we cannot have an established winner, I'll take my chances with an up and comer.

Heck, the Bills could end up with the next Bill Cowher.

I wanted him gone at the end of last year.

2006- How the hell did we finish 7-9? The talent on that team should have never won more than five games. It was a massively impressive job by the coaches... though at the time, despite some seriously good defensive game planning, I was hoping the offensive calls and formations were a result of a temporarily protective coaching staff- not based on the philosophy/history of the coaches, but in response to how we took a major shift with the roster.

2007- They over-performed in '06. I didn't expect a lot. I was amazed when we beat the vaunted Cowboys. I was even more un-amazed when we figured out how to lose that game. That's the Bills, right?

No, it ain't.

I've had the privelege of watching this team fight with a messed-up Joe Ferguson, and lose in the playoffs. That was the ballsiest performance, ever, by a quarterback- and I don't even consider the outcome of that game to tarnish anything on his performance.

I've seen them pull off the impossible with Frank Reich... and I got to watch THAT donkeys game.

This isn't terminal... The Bills being able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory is a fluke that happens in sports.

2008- For the first time since the pre-Bledsoe days (never liked him as a quarterback), I did expect a lot from this team. Those fourth quarter comebacks at the beginning of the year were sweet. Still though, there were the same signs of an unimaginitive offense from two years before. Josh Reed goes in motion, and if he resolves as essentially a tight end, it's a run. I get that you want your best blockers to be in a position to block for a run play, but no need to be blatently obvious about it.

We sign Tinoisamoa and get a DT that comes through... this coaching staff has no excuses in my book.

Besides the bad game day coaching, the thing that most annoys me about Jauron is that he says things like "its hard to win games in the NFL". How does that help young players feel confident! It doesn't seem to be hard for New England to win games, even when Brady goes down for the season. Also, Jauron is way too polite in talking about New England, for example, before and after losing games to them. How about saying we will do anything it takes to beat New England after losing all these games in a row. At least give New England the impression they are going to get really smacked around by the Bills. I wonder how somebody like Buddy Ryan would have dealt with losing to New England 16 out of 17 times. There would have probably been a bounty on Brady's head.

Anyway, the Bills love to talk about how various players they draft have a nasty streak. Jauron needs a little bit of a nasty streak himself, especially against New England. This team needs to learn to punish teams that repetitively beat them.

Wow! However lukewarm, this is the most support for Jauron that I have seen in quite some time.

A few questions:

1) Does anybody here like the cover-2 defense that Jauron employs? You know.....the one in which first and second round defensive backs wait by the endzone while the small, non-aggressive front 7 gets beat up and shoved around.

2) Is anybody happy with Jauron's record on challenging plays?

3) What other team aside from the Bills would have hired Jauron in 06?

4) If Jauron was fired today, what other team would hire him now?

5) If Marty Schottenheimer was available and hired in 06, would this team have made the playoffs by now?

The Dean raised a very good point in another thread. Levy was probably brought in with a mission to keep this team from losing 12 or 13 games, make nice with the fans to keep revenues up.

Levy is a nice man, etc., but he was by no means a credible GM at the age of 80. Nobody would have hired Levy as a GM so in essence, we had a GM who nobody wanted, who in turn hired his crony as head coach, and nobody wanted him either.

Jauron is 58 years old. It isn't as if he is a developing young coach. His record was marked by losing when he got here and this hasn't changed. I like and respect the man. He seems like a kind, highly educated man; a total gentleman. Is he a good coach? No, he never was, and odds are that he never will be. :rolleyes:

I believe that it was mostly due to his cost, demeanor and of course Marv's big recommendation.

In his first year he was given a mulligan and ended up with a 7-9 record. The following year the Bills gave a valiant effort after they were hit by the injury bug and then they had a great start in the first 6 games last year and the future was looking great but when last season ended with another 7-9 record his popularity took a severe hit. Needless to say that he needs to get the Bills in the play-offs this year or it's bye-bye to Jauron. Do you think that is fair or unfair? If he/Bills do make the play-offs and does fairly well, then how do you think the Bills' fans will perceive him? Do you think that the fans will still want to run him out of town? I'm asking these questions sincerely.

I'll answer your questions sincerely. (1) Levy hired DJ because he thought DJ was a younger version of himself. (2) It's already unfair to Bills nation that DJ is still the coach after his amazingly pathetic streak of 3 straight exact 7-9-0 seasons. Sincerely, I really don't think DJ will get the Bills into the playoffs this season, and will get fired. If by some miracle this team does make the playoffs, why in the world would the Bills fire him then?? :rolleyes:

I'm wondering, what did this guy do that has so many fans pissed?

Seriously? Maybe it has something to do with being 6 Games under .500 as The Bills HC, and 19 Games below .500 as a HC in his career...Shanahan and Gruden got freaking fired and we can't get rid of this career loser?.?..And you wonder why some Folks are pissed? HE'S A LOSER!!! Yes He's a nice guy...Who the hell cares? His Job is not helping old ladies across the street...His Job is to win Football Games...Period...And He has gone 7 out of 8 Seasons as an NFL HC without winning more than he loses...

Jauron had his chance in Buffalo...Now He's getting a 2nd chance and those of us who are pissed off simply don't want to sit through another 7-9 Season...Another 7-9 Season where we lose 5-6 Games we could have, should have, won but did not cause our Coach is WAY overmatched on Sundays....

What did Jauron do? Not nearly enough... :rolleyes:

Wow! However lukewarm, this is the most support for Jauron that I have seen in quite some time.

A few questions:

1) Does anybody here like the cover-2 defense that Jauron employs? You know.....the one in which first and second round defensive backs wait by the endzone while the small, non-aggressive front 7 gets beat up and shoved around....

:wallbash::rolleyes:

Best description of the "Cover-0", "11-Gap", "Tampa of 1976-2"*, Perry Fewell defense I've heard so far!!

*For you younger posters, the 1976 Tampa Bay Bucs went 0-14. Their coach that season, when asked about his team's "execution" after one of the losses, said; "I'm in favor of it."

Besides the bad game day coaching, the thing that most annoys me about Jauron is that he says things like "its hard to win games in the NFL". How does that help young players feel confident! It doesn't seem to be hard for New England to win games, even when Brady goes down for the season. Also, Jauron is way too polite in talking about New England, for example, before and after losing games to them. How about saying we will do anything it takes to beat New England after losing all these games in a row. At least give New England the impression they are going to get really smacked around by the Bills. I wonder how somebody like Buddy Ryan would have dealt with losing to New England 16 out of 17 times. There would have probably been a bounty on Brady's head.

Anyway, the Bills love to talk about how various players they draft have a nasty streak. Jauron needs a little bit of a nasty streak himself, especially against New England. This team needs to learn to punish teams that repetitively beat them.

NO Team would own a Buddy Ryan team like New England has owned us for awhile now. Buddy Ryan would not have let that miserable fourth quarter last season against New England, where they used up the entire time and scored when they decided they were done playing keep away, occur. That was just sad.

Seriously? Maybe it has something to do with being 6 Games under .500 as The Bills HC, and 19 Games below .500 as a HC in his career...Shanahan and Gruden got freaking fired and we can't get rid of this career loser?.?..And you wonder why some Folks are pissed? HE'S A LOSER!!! Yes He's a nice guy...Who the hell cares? His Job is not helping old ladies across the street...His Job is to win Football Games...Period...And He has gone 7 out of 8 Seasons as an NFL HC without winning more than he loses...

Jauron had his chance in Buffalo...Now He's getting a 2nd chance and those of us who are pissed off simply don't want to sit through another 7-9 Season...Another 7-9 Season where we lose 5-6 Games we could have, should have, won but did not cause our Coach is WAY overmatched on Sundays....

Well said, if we see anything resembling last years ineptitude at times I hope I turn the T.V. off and leave it that way. It has become very painful to watch. I don't enjoy losing at all.

A few questions:

1) Does anybody here like the cover-2 defense that Jauron employs? You know.....the one in which first and second round defensive backs wait by the endzone while the small, non-aggressive front 7 gets beat up and shoved around.

2) Is anybody happy with Jauron's record on challenging plays?

3) What other team aside from the Bills would have hired Jauron in 06?

4) If Jauron was fired today, what other team would hire him now?

5) If Marty Schottenheimer was available and hired in 06, would this team have made the playoffs by now?

The Dean raised a very good point in another thread. Levy was probably brought in with a mission to keep this team from losing 12 or 13 games, make nice with the fans to keep revenues up.

Levy is a nice man, etc., but he was by no means a credible GM at the age of 80. Nobody would have hired Levy as a GM so in essence, we had a GM who nobody wanted, who in turn hired his crony as head coach, and nobody wanted him either.

Jauron is 58 years old. It isn't as if he is a developing young coach. His record was marked by losing when he got here and this hasn't changed. I like and respect the man. He seems like a kind, highly educated man; a total gentleman. Is he a good coach? No, he never was, and odds are that he never will be. :rolleyes:

Jauron's a middling coach... and NO!, I don't want him. We're stuck, though... and as suck, I've got no choice but to give him another year(gag). Maybe, by the grace of some god more powerful than Ra, he can pull his game-day out of his bee-hind.

I think he's a good theoretician- on defense. I have no idea how someone can be so unable to make a game-plan on defense, and not, at the same time, be able to find a way to exploit that defense with, at the very least, your own offense. I guess I just don't understand how a defensive coach can be so clueless about tipping his offensive hand to other defensive coaches.

No. I'm pretty cool with not having Martyball coach the Bills, ever... and yes, I'd give most anything to get away from the mighty-mite defense. The one thing I'll say, beyond the fact that we're stuck in cover-2 hell, is that as other teams move away from the Tampa-2, we'll get a better variety of talent available to us to run it.

I'll go point by point in my next life.