Tim Tebow

I live in Fla and it seems like the guy can do nothing wrong. He is home schooled and does missionary work overseas. He reminds me of a much bigger version of Doug Flutie. Say what you want, all the guy does is win. We have not had a passer of merit since Kelly. Tebow has the mental toughness of Kelly. Tebow has the size to do well in the frigid northeast. We could do worse at qb.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Fla and it seems like the guy can do nothing wrong. He is home schooled and does missionary work overseas. He reminds me of a much bigger version of Doug Flutie. Say what you want, all the guy does is win. We have not had a passer of merit since Kelly. Tebow has the mental toughness of Kelly. Tebow has the size to do well in the frigid northeast. We could do worse at qb.

Please don't insult Tebow like that, LOL

I love Tebow. I think he's got as much football skill as any college player in the last 5 years.

That said, he's going to have to go to a team that isn't afraid to let him do what he does well, whether it's taking snaps from the single-wing, spending time at H-back, lining up with 2 QBs in the backfield, whatever.

If a guy like say, Jon Gruden (teaser?) got his hands on Tebow, I think he'd change the pro game.

So I guess, in short, I would be thrilled if Tebow came to Buffalo, provided the right staff were in place to take advantage of his skills.

I agree on Tebow. I also disagree with early mocks that have him going late in the first round. The guy has top 15 value written all over him (probably top 10). He is way better that Matt Leinart and Brady Quinn when they came out. That said, I'm hoping the Bills aren't picking that high in 2010. If they are, Tebow would be a great pick.

at UT all vince young knew was to win. look how that worked out. tim has played more and am not comparing the two. im just saying, winning at the college level doesnt necesarily translate to the pros. just speculation, anybody think he may be a system quarterback, remember that other guy, alex smith, that played for urban meyer, how did he turn out.

How many of these posts are we going to see for the next year? Everything I've read and heard is that Tebow is not considered to be much of a pro QB prospect beyond a wildcat/special situations guy. Bad delivery, not a pro system, etc.

I agree on Tebow. I also disagree with early mocks that have him going late in the first round. The guy has top 15 value written all over him (probably top 10). He is way better that Matt Leinart and Brady Quinn when they came out. That said, I'm hoping the Bills aren't picking that high in 2010. If they are, Tebow would be a great pick.

I believe, when all is said and done, he'll end up a top 5 pick.

Especially if Gruden has anything to say about it...there's some sentiment in league circles that Gruden is spending his season out of coaching studying single-wing offenses (the Wildcat is merely a variation of the single-wing that features an un-balanced line) in the hopes that he'll get another head coaching gig. Assuming he catches on with a team that didn't perform so well (i.e. 6-10 or worse, which I'd think most of the coaching vacancies will be on teams with such records), he'd easily have a high enough draft position to get his man.

Please don't insult Tebow like that, LOL

I love Tebow. I think he's got as much football skill as any college player in the last 5 years.

That said, he's going to have to go to a team that isn't afraid to let him do what he does well, whether it's taking snaps from the single-wing, spending time at H-back, lining up with 2 QBs in the backfield, whatever.

If a guy like say, Jon Gruden (teaser?) got his hands on Tebow, I think he'd change the pro game.

So I guess, in short, I would be thrilled if Tebow came to Buffalo, provided the right staff were in place to take advantage of his skills.

Meaning no disrespect, but if Tebow went to a team and they started running single-wing, H-back, 2 QBs, etc. they wouldn't be changing the pro game at all. In fact, especially with regards to the single-wing, the game would regress. The athletes on NFL defenses are just too good, even on the worst teams. Sophomoric offenses like those don't have a chance. Like Miami's Wildcat, it's only gonna be good for a few plays a game, it's too limited in terms of what you show vs. run out of it, and superior athletes on D will make plays against it.

I'd like to see how Tebow does his senior year. He may adapt just fine to a traditional pro-set and, with his physical gifts, may end up just fine. One thing's for sure, he's too good an athlete not to find a place on a team. Whether or not that's at QB remains to be seen. I hope he refines his game and succeeds at QB.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

Meaning no disrespect, but if Tebow went to a team and they started running single-wing, H-back, 2 QBs, etc. they wouldn't be changing the pro game at all. In fact, especially with regards to the single-wing, the game would regress. The athletes on NFL defenses are just too good, even on the worst teams. Sophomoric offenses like those don't have a chance. Like Miami's Wildcat, it's only gonna be good for a few plays a game, it's too limited in terms of what you show vs. run out of it, and superior athletes on D will make plays against it.

I'd like to see how Tebow does his senior year. He may adapt just fine to a traditional pro-set and, with his physical gifts, may end up just fine. One thing's for sure, he's too good an athlete not to find a place on a team. Whether or not that's at QB remains to be seen. I hope he refines his game and succeeds at QB.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

None taken. I do feel, however, that I should clarify my viewpoint to avoid any misconceptions:

It sounds like you took my post to mean that such a team would use those formations as their base set, which wasn't really my intent. My belief is that there'd be scripted plays, maybe 15-20 each game, for those offensive packages.

As far as whether or not such an offense would have a chance to be effective, well, I suppose time will tell. After all, with more college offenses moving to spread options/run-and-shoot style schemes, more than a few coaches are going to mix this stuff into their game.

I don't really see it as regression, I see it as cyclical. For example, in the early-80's, more than half the league employed the 3-4 defense as their base package. When offenses went to smaller and quicker personnel, defenses began to shift to the 4-3 scheme, and in the mid-90's nearly 90% of teams employed the 4-3 as their base package. Fast forward to today, and you're seeing the re-emergence of the 3-4 league wide, given that as many as 12 teams will use it as their base package for the 2009 season (NE, Miami, NYJ, Pit, Cle, KC, Den, SD, Ari, SF, GB, Dal). Maybe the offensive cycle is such that now, since teams are specializing so much defensively, offenses will start tossing in single-wings, wish-bones, etc. to shake them up a bit.

None taken. I do feel, however, that I should clarify my viewpoint to avoid any misconceptions:

It sounds like you took my post to mean that such a team would use those formations as their base set, which wasn't really my intent. My belief is that there'd be scripted plays, maybe 15-20 each game, for those offensive packages.

As far as whether or not such an offense would have a chance to be effective, well, I suppose time will tell. After all, with more college offenses moving to spread options/run-and-shoot style schemes, more than a few coaches are going to mix this stuff into their game.

I don't really see it as regression, I see it as cyclical. For example, in the early-80's, more than half the league employed the 3-4 defense as their base package. When offenses went to smaller and quicker personnel, defenses began to shift to the 4-3 scheme, and in the mid-90's nearly 90% of teams employed the 4-3 as their base package. Fast forward to today, and you're seeing the re-emergence of the 3-4 league wide, given that as many as 12 teams will use it as their base package for the 2009 season (NE, Miami, NYJ, Pit, Cle, KC, Den, SD, Ari, SF, GB, Dal). Maybe the offensive cycle is such that now, since teams are specializing so much defensively, offenses will start tossing in single-wings, wish-bones, etc. to shake them up a bit.

Excellent points re: the cyclical nature of the NFL. That is true but not to as great an extent as it used to be given the rules changes that opened up the offensive game over the years. Good point also about the early use of the 34 defense. Remember, it was created as an offshoot of Bud Wilkinson's famous 44 defense at OK. and was primarily designed to stop the run. It's become much more refined over the years, especially with the advent of the zone blitz, but with the superior athletic abilities of the LBs required in the 34, it's gonna stop those old college offenses with ease. I just don't see teams utilizing those formations even for the 15-20 times a game you mention. From time to time, maybe you'll catch a team by surprise but again, pro D personnel is just too superior over the long haul.

But then again, stranger things have happened.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

why are they sophmoric? college teams in big divisions win with the offenses all all the time. They are creative offenses that put defenses in conflict. The KC Chiefs put up good offensive numbers with the pistol offense? it might have gimmicky but so what? it worked at the nfl. the team was no good, but the offense was more competitive becasue of it.

The single wing worked for the dolphins and other teams last year. why would it be regression? please explain.

You've obviously never seen him attempt to throw a pass. Yes, the guy has won a lot at florida and has had a huge amount of success as a collegiate player running urban cryer's system. His game doesn't translate to success as an NFL QB. He's not going to be bigger and faster than almost everyone like he is at UF. DLs and LBs will be salivating at the thought of decapitating him on one of his patented runs. As TE or an H-back with the right coach, sure he could have success in the NFL. He'd probably do well throwing the ball 5 times per game as a wildcat QB. But as a regular QB? hell no.

It all comes down to, have you ever seen his pass attempts? When the guy tries to throw the ball, you'd swear there are coaches on the sideline yelling, "Pull."

why are they sophmoric? college teams in big divisions win with the offenses all all the time. They are creative offenses that put defenses in conflict. The KC Chiefs put up good offensive numbers with the pistol offense? it might have gimmicky but so what? it worked at the nfl. the team was no good, but the offense was more competitive becasue of it.

The single wing worked for the dolphins and other teams last year. why would it be regression? please explain.

The Wildcat, single-wing, wing-T, are all sophomoric because it they can't hold up against the superior personnel and schemes of the NFL over any length of time. They are throwback offenses, that's why I use the word regress. They are offenses that put defenses in conflict UNTIL defenses adjust. Witness the continuing decline of Miami's Wildcat once it was exposed for what it was. A few plays here and there and yeah, it'll work. And it might even work over a longer period against lesser defenses. But I doubt it simply because of the athletic ability of defenders in the NFL. What puts defenses in conflict is superior personnel on offense more than anything else.

The Pistol is interesting and I think it has potential with a superior QB, WRs, and OL to run it. It's a unique kind of hybrid that will give defenses fits again, with the proper personnel to run it. There isn't a regressive element to it at all and it actually expands the options that can be run from it. It might be tailor made for Tebow if he can improve his accuracy. If he's not accurate, defenses will kill him and that offense won't succeed. But with a superior QB, yeah it can do a LOT of damage.

I'm not impressed by the success colleges in big divisions have with their schemes. College teams in big divisions are just that: college teams in big divisions. How do you honestly feel the best college team in the land would fare against the Detroit Lions? It wouldn't be close. Everybody on that lousy NFL team is good enough to play in the NFL. How many on the BEST college team are going to make an NFL team, let alone start on one? A few on offense? A few on defense? That's a LOT to ask for.

GO BILLS!!!

The Wildcat, single-wing, wing-T, are all sophomoric because it they can't hold up against the superior personnel and schemes of the NFL over any length of time. They are throwback offenses, that's why I use the word regress. They are offenses that put defenses in conflict UNTIL defenses adjust. Witness the continuing decline of Miami's Wildcat once it was exposed for what it was. A few plays here and there and yeah, it'll work. And it might even work over a longer period against lesser defenses. But I doubt it simply because of the athletic ability of defenders in the NFL. What puts defenses in conflict is superior personnel on offense more than anything else.

The Pistol is interesting and I think it has potential with a superior QB, WRs, and OL to run it. It's a unique kind of hybrid that will give defenses fits again, with the proper personnel to run it. There isn't a regressive element to it at all and it actually expands the options that can be run from it. It might be tailor made for Tebow if he can improve his accuracy. If he's not accurate, defenses will kill him and that offense won't succeed. But with a superior QB, yeah it can do a LOT of damage.

I'm not impressed by the success colleges in big divisions have with their schemes. College teams in big divisions are just that: college teams in big divisions. How do you honestly feel the best college team in the land would fare against the Detroit Lions? It wouldn't be close. Everybody on that lousy NFL team is good enough to play in the NFL. How many on the BEST college team are going to make an NFL team, let alone start on one? A few on offense? A few on defense? That's a LOT to ask for.

GO BILLS!!!

good point with the talent level, but these schemes in time will also evolve, new wrinkles will be added to counteract the defensive adjustments. as far as the pistol, it is just an updated version of a single wing offense. the only difference is that the ball is always snapped to the qb instead being snapped to a spinning fullback (which the qb often resembles in this offense), or another man in motion.

these new offenses will be fun to watch and i hope more teams attempt them. i would like to see the bills do more than what they do.

he's gonna be a nice tight end in the NFL