Assuming Byrd is our FS...

Have you ever played the game of football and played it with a seperated shoulder as Donte Whitner did last season?????????? The guy was playing hurt and was trying to get an angle on him to avoid further injury which happened anyway. THe guy has been the teams #2 2006 and #3 2007 in tackles on this team when he is 100% healthy. I unlike some here do not think he sucks and understand his problem last season was the seperated shoulder and if he comes back 100% healthy this season then we will see.

How can you guys be so quick to defend the brittle regressing skills of TRent and use the concusion as an excuse for him but dont us a seperated shoulder as an exuces for a person who needs to health shoulders to make hits and tackle????? :wallbash:

Hmmmm. Yes I have played organized football my whole life, injured too.

So what your saying is that if you walk on the field injured your not expected to perform. That is rediculous. There was a million ways he could have approached hitting Morris while protecting his shoulder. He's just not a great tackler. And once again I said that play isn't the reason he sucks, but hurt shoulder or not that was embarrasing.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's crazy to think that we may well have 4+ rookies starting this year (2OL, DE, FS and maybe TE & a '1st' year guy @ OLB), yet we don't think we're in a complete rebuilding era. Crazy, but that's what it seems. I really can't envision a scenario where we suffer through another losing season and Juron and staff are kept. There's just very little history to suggest that re-tooling with rookies translates into a winning team immediately. This said, I believe in the upgrades through the draft.

Maybe it's the flavor of the Kool-aid..

Yeah!! Some brains on this board!! If we have 4 rookies starting , that would be 2 guards (who were not guards), a safety who was a CB and a 4th rnd TE not to mention our first round pick who played 1 year of college ball..and lets not forget Ellison and Kelsy who already suck . it's 3-13 and REBUIDING time !

Why does everybody use the Sammy Morris play as evidence that Whitner sucks? Donte got nailed squarely on his injured shoulder on that play and he crumpled just like anybody here would have. Admittedly he was preparing to make a pretty badly formed tackle but again whats the point in citing just one play?

Because when you don't have any real solid evidence to back up a point, resort to anecdotal evidence.

See today is my one day off this month so I've been blurring right along since the AM.

I will however "Blur" one for you, in your honor until you get home. :wallbash:

I'm home, and your efforts are no longer required.

As David famously asked after dentist: "Is this real life?"

rediculous.

Easy to say...hard to spell.

IMO, no SS's going to look good if he's asked to cover for a mediocre DL or LB corps...especially in a Tampa-2 scheme where he's playing backed out of the box. Whitner's not a Pro Bowler, but he's in the top half of the league talent-wise. Give him a better FS (like the rookie-year version of Simpson) and he'll be plenty effective.

I'm interested to see what the Bills do with Whitner after this year. He will have one more year left on a contract that averaged 6 mil per year. Unless he raises his level of play a LOT, they aren't going to offer him anything close to this in terms of a new contract.

I'm interested to see what the Bills do with Whitner after this year. He will have one more year left on a contract that averaged 6 mil per year. Unless he raises his level of play a LOT, they aren't going to offer him anything close to this in terms of a new contract.

So let's get this straight... Whitner was moved to free safety because he's not suited for SS, the very position he was drafted for.

Then we draft our free safety of the future in the second round, a player known for making plays (unlike Whitner). Bryan Scott was more effective at free safety than Whitner.

I wouldn't be surprised if Whitner is let go after his expensive rookie contract expires. All depends on how Byrd pans out.

So let's get this straight... Whitner was moved to free safety because he's not suited for SS, the very position he was drafted for.

Then we draft our free safety of the future in the second round, a player known for making plays (unlike Whitner). Bryan Scott was more effective at free safety than Whitner.

I wouldn't be surprised if Whitner is let go after his expensive rookie contract expires. All depends on how Byrd pans out.

No. Whitner was moved to FS because they were getting atrocious play from Simpson and Scott was a better replacement at SS than anyone else BUT Whitner at FS. It also protected his injury a bit more. I'm glad Whitner has the ability to play FS when called upon.

If Byrd shows anything in camp and pre-season, he will start at FS with (a healthy) Whitner moving back to "the position he was drafted for."

GO BILLS!!!

If Byrd shows anything in camp and pre-season, he will start at FS with (a healthy) Whitner moving back to "the position he was drafted for."

I'm sure Whitner will be moved back to strong safety... but unless he outshines Bryan Scott (which he has failed to do thus far), it's hard to imagine he'd be retained beyond his expensive rookie contract.

I'm sure Whitner will be moved back to strong safety... but unless he outshines Bryan Scott (which he has failed to do thus far), it's hard to imagine he'd be retained beyond his expensive rookie contract.

So if he plays worse than Scott the Bills will DELIBERATELY play the worse player until his contract is up and THEN move Scott back to his rightful spot in the lineup? Makes sense to me.

Here's a radical thought: Scott looked better at SS BECAUSE Whitner was able to play FS so much better than Simpson. Only it's not that radical. That's precisely what happened.

GO BILLS!!!

Here's a radical thought: Scott looked better at SS BECAUSE Whitner was able to play FS so much better than Simpson. Only it's not that radical. That's precisely what happened.

GO BILLS!!!

Very very interesting point.

What do you base it on?

I'm not asking to put you on the spot, I'm actually curious about the X's and O's of this possibility.

Donte Whitner will have trouble making the Bills team this year. He was outplayed by Ko as a rookie, outplayed by Wilson 2 years ago and outplayed by Scott last year. No way Donte starts over Scott. Byrd very well may be his replacement not Simpsons.

So if he plays worse than Scott the Bills will DELIBERATELY play the worse player until his contract is up and THEN move Scott back to his rightful spot in the lineup? Makes sense to me.

They'll give Whitner every chance to succeed... they should given his salary and draft status. :wallbash:

It's crazy to think that we may well have 4+ rookies starting this year (2OL, DE, FS and maybe TE & a '1st' year guy @ OLB), yet we don't think we're in a complete rebuilding era. Crazy, but that's what it seems. I really can't envision a scenario where we suffer through another losing season and Juron and staff are kept. There's just very little history to suggest that re-tooling with rookies translates into a winning team immediately. This said, I believe in the upgrades through the draft.

Maybe it's the flavor of the Kool-aid..

After watching the post-TD front office draft players and sign UFA's who never lived up to expectations it's clear that they know fans like something new. It's kinda like the kid who gets a new toy, plays with it for 10 minutes, and demands another. Casual uniformed Bills fans have no idea about the player, but because they're new, it has to be better.

Four rookies starting is not good, especially when so many positions will see a new starter. And many of those guys are changing positions. It's not a formula for success and knowledgeable Bills fans know it's not ideal team-building. After all, this is the same front office minus Marv that signed 14 UFA's in 06-07 and only one remains. Heckuva track record.

Let's see, Donte Whitner: slow, so can't cover (see him burned last year inceoverage?)

not a good tackler

fairly small

mouthy

Great pick there, Marv. Lot of money for a back-up safety.

It's ironic that those invested in Marv's rampant success aren't around like they used to be. The Whinter pick was not heralded 3 years ago, and it's only gotten worse. You don't build around the secondary, and there are plenty who have said this. But there are posters who protected Whitner because they thought Marv was nearly infallible. It took 3 years, but the reality is Whitner is not a difference maker and he never will be.

But there are posters who protected Whitner because they thought Marv was nearly infallible. It took 3 years, but the reality is Whitner is not a difference maker and he never will be.

Is is as one poster stated: Solid. I'm not so sure he'll ever be more then that, which is too bad.

However, if we build a top 5 defense around him he might excel as a leader on this defense, he has the right qualities to be a leader but not a star.

Is is as one poster stated: Solid. I'm not so sure he'll ever be more then that, which is too bad.

However, if we build a top 5 defense around him he might excel as a leader on this defense, he has the right qualities to be a leader but not a star.

I think that's a huge problem with this team. Our leaders show good qualities of leaders but not the talent many leaders possess.