Assuming Byrd is our FS...

With Byrd playing "center field," I think the strong safety's main priority will be stopping the run. Therefore, if Whitner is not as good a tackler/ run stopper, could he possibly end up not starting this year because of Scott? Whitner just doesnt seem to fit at either S position and I remember several times last year when Scott played really stout against the run. Thoughts? What a shame it would be if our number 8 overall pick didnt even start....

Andrew

I think he will continue to start. The defensive philosophy being to chew up time to make sure that the dynamic offense is well-rested and therefore poised to strike with razor-like precision.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's crazy to think that we may well have 4+ rookies starting this year (2OL, DE, FS and maybe TE & a '1st' year guy @ OLB), yet we don't think we're in a complete rebuilding era. Crazy, but that's what it seems. I really can't envision a scenario where we suffer through another losing season and Juron and staff are kept. There's just very little history to suggest that re-tooling with rookies translates into a winning team immediately. This said, I believe in the upgrades through the draft.

Maybe it's the flavor of the Kool-aid..

He is his biggest fan and may one day have a future in politics. He has quite a few people fooled about what he brings to the table. Well Donte, it's year 4 and your stats and on field play are average. I don't want to sound too harsh because I like the guy, I just think he should run for office instead of in front of Sammy Morris.

Why does everybody use the Sammy Morris play as evidence that Whitner sucks? Donte got nailed squarely on his injured shoulder on that play and he crumpled just like anybody here would have. Admittedly he was preparing to make a pretty badly formed tackle but again whats the point in citing just one play?

Why are you guys making this more difficult than it is?

Passing down = Whitner SS Byrd FS

Running down = Witner FS Scott SS

Everything in between = contingent on the formation- could see Whitner at Nickel CB with Byrd and Scott Behind him, Whitner could be the ONLY safety on some plays, and on others he could be one of three.

Seems to me that Byrd gives us the leverage to put the BEST players on the field for THAT situation.

Why does everybody use the Sammy Morris play as evidence that Whitner sucks? Donte got nailed squarely on his injured shoulder on that play and he crumpled just like anybody here would have. Admittedly he was preparing to make a pretty badly formed tackle but again whats the point in citing just one play?

I wasn't citing that was the reason Whitner sucked because I don't think he does, I was just making a joke.

There is no point, it's simply retarded to cite to that play.

Whitner out-right crumbled on that play because he was INJURED then RE-INJURED. That has nothing to do with skill or lack there of.

If there's one thing that's characteristic about the Bills D- it's swarming, they SPRINT to the ball. He might have been lining up for a "bad tackle" but, if his shoulder doesn't completely explode on the play, then he significantly slows Morris' momentum (in the backfield) and Morris is stopped for little to no gain.

Everything in between = contingent on the formation- could see Whitner at Nickel CB with Byrd and Scott Behind him, Whitner could be the ONLY safety on some plays, and on others he could be one of three.

Seems to me that Byrd gives us the leverage to put the BEST players on the field for THAT situation.

Damnit cat!!! Stop with all this logic stuff, this is TSW in case you haven't noticed and we above all are the shunners of logic.

Damnit cat!!! Stop with all this logic stuff, this is TSW in case you haven't noticed and we above all are the shunners of logic.

Well, it's only 1:30 p, I haven't taken the necessary steps to blur the realities of "logic" just yet.

You know what I'm saying.

Point is, in these waning hours of sobriety, I can't be held accountable for the logical ramblings I produce!

:wallbash:

Nobody is using the Sammy Morris play as to why he sucks. His mediocre stats and lack of play making ability do that on their own. But since we are on the topic, did you actually watch Whitner on that play? He did nothing to show he was a hard hitter, he got in front of Morris and waited to get run over. That is never a characteristic of a hard hitting safety.

And comparing Whitner's play to the people on this board is pretty funny. That's when you know he's not that good. You don't say any other player would have crumpled, you say every other fan on a message board would.

Well, it's only 1:30 p, I haven't taken the necessary steps to blur the realities of "logic" just yet.

You know what I'm saying.

Point is, in these waning hours of sobriety, I can't be held accountable for the logical ramblings I produce!

See today is my one day off this month so I've been blurring right along since the AM.

I will however "Blur" one for you, in your honor until you get home. :lol:

Nobody is using the Sammy Morris play as to why he sucks. His mediocre stats and lack of play making ability do that on their own. But since we are on the topic, did you actually watch Whitner on that play? He did nothing to show he was a hard hitter, he got in front of Morris and waited to get run over. That is never a characteristic of a hard hitting safety.

And comparing Whitner's play to the people on this board is pretty funny. That's when you know he's not that good. You don't say any other player would have crumpled, you say every other fan on a message board would.

OK cat your post makes some sense but here is my problem with it.

Your post assumes that it is clear to see when a passing play and running play are going to occur. Who's in when it's unclear of a pass or run situation? Yes I know you have a formula for everything in between, but of course I have a problem with it.

Whitner at the nickel? I could only see that if Youboty is hurt (which will most likely happen.)

And if that's the case I think Bird should play the nickel. It is his natural position and he should play well there.

I think the original poster means, on that depth chart who should be #1 at SS and FS?

OK cat your post makes some sense but here is my problem with it.

Your post assumes that it is clear to see when a passing play and running play are going to occur. Who's in when it's unclear of a pass or run situation? Yes I know you have a formula for everything in between, but of course I have a problem with it.

Whitner at the nickel? I could only see that if Youboty is hurt (which will most likely happen.)

And if that's the case I think Bird should play the nickel. It is his natural position and he should play well there.

I think the original poster means, on that depth chart who should be #1 at SS and FS?

Look you're just a glass of juice(Delicious juice if I may) but how dare a glass of juice argue with a Lion. Get it together man.

Good Lord, get over it.

Whitner only gets sh*t because he's a first-rounder. He may not be a superstar but he's a very solid player and will start every game he's healthy. Get over your first-round expectations and be thankful we don't have worry about his position.

The #8 selection in the draft would be a little more descriptive.

It's crazy to think that we may well have 4+ rookies starting this year (2OL, DE, FS and maybe TE & a '1st' year guy @ OLB), yet we don't think we're in a complete rebuilding era. Crazy, but that's what it seems. I really can't envision a scenario where we suffer through another losing season and Juron and staff are kept. There's just very little history to suggest that re-tooling with rookies translates into a winning team immediately. This said, I believe in the upgrades through the draft.

Maybe it's the flavor of the Kool-aid..

Maybin will not be satrting as much as we want our current DE's to be replaced. I am not concerned about rookies starting if you think about it almost every year we have 2 or 3 rookies plus another 1 or 2 unproven guys starting. The team still manges to function pretty well. Especially KO and dontes first season with us they were considered one of the top defensive pairs in the leaugue and they were rookies too bad for KO that his injury has dropped him down the ladder. Even still anything at OL has to be better then the OL that we have been putting on the field the last decade. Finally the addressed the center position not overpaying for an unmotivated LT and bringing in guys with athleticism not just size which hase been a major issue. Do i think it will make the O great this year No I dont But foe years to come it looks very promising! NO TE has looked good on our team since Reimersna Left so I am hoping he takes on equal or better quailities then him so we can finally have somemore hands on the field instead of all blockers!

Have you ever played the game of football and played it with a seperated shoulder as Donte Whitner did last season?????????? The guy was playing hurt and was trying to get an angle on him to avoid further injury which happened anyway. THe guy has been the teams #2 2006 and #3 2007 in tackles on this team when he is 100% healthy. I unlike some here do not think he sucks and understand his problem last season was the seperated shoulder and if he comes back 100% healthy this season then we will see.

How can you guys be so quick to defend the brittle regressing skills of TRent and use the concusion as an excuse for him but dont us a seperated shoulder as an exuces for a person who needs to health shoulders to make hits and tackle????? :wallbash:

Did anyone watch Bryan Scott in coverage last year? Horrible. Although, remember when Donte got trucked againt NE?

Looking at pros and cons of both, I'll take Donte Whitner aka the fan's player

donte was only ever an FS for us because we had OK SS but jack for FS besides.

he will move to SS and byrd will be FS at some point this year. our secondary will be good.