Anti-Bush Rally in SF

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

good point, but what do the pictures of our soldiers mistreating prisonors do for us citizens...forget placing blame on that one....i have kids that do not stand for pledge of alliance in my class...court says they don't have to...are they Americans???

I have no problem making the same argument about our troops mistreating prioners as they did. The problem with the blame there, is that the military has such a structure where it may not be the people actually commiting the crime, but somewhere further up that should have the blame, I dont konw, but its no more or less wrong.

There is a vast difference between not standing for the pledge of allegiance and burning an effigy of our president however. Indeed both are exercises of free speech. One is mild and one is very strong. One gravely damages our country, the other causes a PTA meeting. Most likely the children are in rebellion, and not against the US, but against the words "under god", and their dissent is a perfectly acceptable reaction in America, and does not aid and comfort our enemies. The extent of the potential damage to our country is what defines treason IMO. These people should be found and brought up on charges.

I have no problem making the same argument about our troops mistreating prioners as they did.  The problem with the blame there, is that the military has such a structure where it may not be the people actually commiting the crime, but somewhere further up that should have the blame, I dont konw, but its no more or less wrong.

There is a vast difference between not standing for the pledge of allegiance and burning an effigy of our president however.  Indeed both are exercises of free speech.  One is mild and one is very strong.  One gravely damages our country, the other causes a PTA meeting.  Most likely the children are in rebellion, and not against the US, but against the words "under god", and their dissent is a perfectly acceptable reaction in America, and does not aid and comfort our enemies.  The extent of the potential damage to our country is what defines treason IMO.  These people should be found and brought up on charges.

102604[/snapback]

I accept your viewpoint..i just think the courts would not in this country..freedom of speech i a well guarded right

I'm sure congressmen in the halls of congress are using profanities about GWB behind closed doors...a !@#$ Bush sign is harmless..who does it hurt..i here students say !@#$ you every in the hall of my schools

102540[/snapback]

Since when did we hand out teaching credentials to people that cannot spell? Listen folks, this, by far, will do more harm to this country than four more years of Bush.

My point is not to limit free speech. Free speech is an important part of our fabric in this country. However, once free speech crosses the line and becomes treason it should be proscecuted as such. Where to draw the line is fuzzy and I understand that. But people like this have no place in a civilized society.

BTW I want to say that it is very refreshing to be able to have a conversation such as this without resorting to petty insults. If only we could get more debate in our society maybe we will actually become that one america john edwards was talking about.

I have no problem with people dissenting against this administration, but seditious acts like these border on treason IMO.  I am ashamed to have people like this amungst us.

102516[/snapback]

Let me preface this by saying that I agree that their little anti-Bush pow-wow went over the top. I'm not particularly keen on seeing Americans burning our president in effigy, nor do I like to see the colors set aflame.

But the Sedition Act was struck down shortly after it was enacted 200 years ago because it infringed upon the 1st Ammendment. What these protesters are doing is exercising the same rights we're trying to extend to people in Iraq, are they not?

My point is not to limit free speech.  Free speech is an important part of our fabric in this country.  However, once free speech crosses the line and becomes treason it should be proscecuted as such.  Where to draw the line is fuzzy and I understand that.  But people like this have no place in a civilized society.

BTW I want to say that it is very refreshing to be able to have a conversation such as this without resorting to petty insults.  If only we could get more debate in our society maybe we will actually become that one america john edwards was talking about.

102664[/snapback]

It crosses the line in your opinion. They're expressing theirs and the 1st Amendment guarentees them the right. America is an all or nothing proposition, love it or leave it, right?

It crosses the line in your opinion.  They're expressing theirs and the 1st Amendment guarentees them the right.  America is an all or nothing proposition, love it or leave it, right?

102841[/snapback]

And personally, I would fight to protect the very rights they decry even as they indulge them.

But it doesn't make them any less wacko. :wacko: