Alex Smith(TE) traded to New England

BFD. He's never had more than 41 catches, 385 yards, and 3 TD's in any of his 4 seasons. Those are Robert Royal worthy numbers.

He was NOT the GO TO TE & has had some injuries. The Bucs have the BEST group of TE's in the league. You will see next Season he is MUCH better than Royal.

He was NOT the GO TO TE & has had some injuries. The Bucs have the BEST group of TE's in the league. You will see next Season he is MUCH better than Royal.

He was their go-to TE in 2007 and produced pedestrian numbers. And the Pats have added TE upon TE over the past decade and no one has stood out. This will likely be no exception.

The fact that NE has not had a dominant TE in a while (i.e. a TE putting up big numbers), IMHO, is as much the system as the talent of the TE's. When you have Welker and Moss catching as many balls as they do, add in WR#3 of the moment and their frequent use of RB's making catches out of the backfield, there is no room for Witten/Gonzalez/Gates type numbers from the TE position. Not even NE can produce dominant numbers at every skill position.

I'm just saying when thrown the ball, Smith will catch it & add yac. He is also a good blocker, I wish the Bills had traded for him.

May be the Patriots were forced to do this trade after we picked Nelson right in front of them ?