wine in a carton

mead107

Few Things

1)BTW, just as an aside, I have heard there are some decent box wines now. Kinda like a Mondavi Woodbridge, not the greatest but fine for pizza or burgers on a Tuesday evening.

2) Malbecs seem to be getting real popular, as they are in my house. Better get em while they are still a great value.

3) Someone commented bout screw tops. Best wines almost all now come in screw tops. Only thing a cork can do is ruin wine, adds nothing, just tradition why anybody would still use cork.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Few Things

1)BTW, just as an aside, I have heard there are some decent box wines now. Kinda like a Mondavi Woodbridge, not the greatest but fine for pizza or burgers on a Tuesday evening.

2) Malbecs seem to be getting real popular, as they are in my house. Better get em while they are still a great value.

3) Someone commented bout screw tops. Best wines almost all now come in screw tops. Only thing a cork can do is ruin wine, adds nothing, just tradition why anybody would still use cork.

The jury is still out regarding your opinion of the cork. And there is nothing wrong with tradition. To me opening and drinking a bottle of wine is an event and part of that event is the "ceremonial" opening of the bottle. Each bottle of wine is different and that starts with the removal of the cork.

The jury is still out regarding your opinion of the cork. And there is nothing wrong with tradition. To me opening and drinking a bottle of wine is an event and part of that event is the "ceremonial" opening of the bottle. Each bottle of wine is different and that starts with the removal of the cork.

Traditions die hard, I get that. For my $8 dollar bottle, I could give a rats patoutie whats in the top. If its corked, its corked, throw it out and open another.

But, if I am buying a case of wine to cellar for a few years and spend lets say $50 a bottle on it, and even 2 go bad cause they be corked, now I'm pissed. I am not aware that the "jury is still out", the cork adds zero to the wine. If I am wrong on that, would love to see the link.

Now, i will say many a sommelier and wine manager and just plain waiters want nothing to do with screw tops. To many people, especially drunk chuckleheads in steakhouses, on an expense account would have a heart attack if their $150 bottle of wine came in a screw top, and they just do not want to have to explain to these folks why it is. So, the tradition continues, and i get it. Only thing I was saying is do not judge a wine by its closure.

Traditions die hard, I get that. For my $8 dollar bottle, I could give a rats patoutie whats in the top. If its corked, its corked, throw it out and open another.

But, if I am buying a case of wine to cellar for a few years and spend lets say $50 a bottle on it, and even 2 go bad cause they be corked, now I'm pissed. I am not aware that the "jury is still out", the cork adds zero to the wine. If I am wrong on that, would love to see the link.

Now, i will say many a sommelier and wine manager and just plain waiters want nothing to do with screw tops. To many people, especially drunk chuckleheads in steakhouses, on an expense account would have a heart attack if their $150 bottle of wine came in a screw top, and they just do not want to have to explain to these folks why it is. So, the tradition continues, and i get it. Only thing I was saying is do not judge a wine by its closure.

I think you have it backwards. For you $8 wine a screw top is ok. The jury is still out on what the effect of metal screw tops that the wine is going to be in contact with for wines aged 20-30 years. The jury is in that you'll lose 10-15% of wine sealed with cork but what if you lose 100% of your wine because of the reaction of the wine with the metal for all those years. We'll know when wines that have been stored that long with metal tops are opened but until then, who knows. I have read article on glass tops which seems interesting.

It did just dawn on me that without the cork you'd probably be able to store the wine staning up. I'll have to research that.

Edited by Chef Jim

I think you have it backwards. For you $8 wine a screw top is ok. The jury is still out on what the effect of metal screw tops that the wine is going to be in contact with for wines aged 20-30 years. The jury is in that you'll lose 10-15% of wine sealed with cork but what if you lose 100% of your wine because of the reaction of the wine with the metal for all those years. We'll know when wines that have been stored that long with metal tops are opened but until then, who knows. I have read article on glass tops which seems interesting.

AHH, I gotcha now, I was reading that the wrong way. The jury out on the metal thing makes sense. See, why i love this board, learn something new everyday. The glass tops I have not heard of, that does sound cool.

AHH, I gotcha now, I was reading that the wrong way. The jury out on the metal thing makes sense. See, why i love this board, learn something new everyday. The glass tops I have not heard of, that does sound cool.

But you see my edit above about the corkless wine not needing to be stored on its side. It could be stored (I assume) standing up so the wine would not be in contact with the metal. But man I don't know, opening up my 2010 Petrus with a twist top. As if I could afford a 2010 Petrus.

The wife of a co-worked said she loved box wines because when she finished it she could blow the bag up inside the box and use it as a pillow. :D

:blink:

She wasn't serious I hope. :devil:

You know what goes well with box 'o wine?

Pizza in a cup.

(In my best Homer Simpson) Ahhhwww, pizza in a cup!

There are 4 kinds of wine:

White

Red

Stuff with a cork

Stuff with a screw top.

:sick::w00t:;)

Here's an article about the issue.

A small Napa Valley winery called PlumpJack broke the ice, so to speak, in 1997, offering a $135 cabernet with a screw top. Bonny Doon Vineyard in Santa Cruz followed, first putting screw tops on 80,000 cases of its moderate-price wines and later moving to bottle all of its wines, including its top of the line Cigare Volant, with screw tops.

This shows how a Stelvin cap works.

no no no...steak on a stick

Do not, DO NOT, diss steak on a stick. You obviously have no culinary expertise if you can't appreciate a good steak on a stick. :( Some of the best filet mignon in the world comes on a stick! :devil:Jack-ASS!!

I just ordered six bottles of this Spanish red. I don't think you can beat the price but I'll report back on the quality. I've been very happy with all the Spanish reds this place has pushed. And what the hell if I don't like it it's still a good price to cook with .

I just picked up this wine and opened a bottle (I know it's only 11:30am here, !@#$ you, it's Friday) and all I can say is if you can find it, buy it...by the case! Good stuff and at $6.99 it's the best inexpensive wine I've ever had. Robert Parker says that Spain is the next up and coming region and with all the values I've gotten that's pretty much all I have in my "cellar". Seek them out you'll be pleasantly surprised.

yo Chef, what do you use for a 'cellar'?

I just picked up this wine and opened a bottle (I know it's only 11:30am here, !@#$ you, it's Friday) and all I can say is if you can find it, buy it...by the case! Good stuff and at $6.99 it's the best inexpensive wine I've ever had. Robert Parker says that Spain is the next up and coming region and with all the values I've gotten that's pretty much all I have in my "cellar". Seek them out you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Here's their web site:

http://www.bodegasluzon.com/

Okay, I know I had some posts in this thread. Where did they go?? I only noticed this cause the little indicator thing said that I didn't have any posts in here. <_<

Posting about wine. Drinking way too much wine. It all kind of flows together.

for the most part the land, vines, buildings are decades if not centuries old and paid for and sun and rain are free

yes there are taxes and wages and other ongoing costs but it obviously can be done

the real question is how can these winieries in California and France get away with ripping us off for $100 bottles- no matter how low their yields are

law of the market! what is rare is expensive and as long as they find customers...

you're right. and a good compromise is the "plastic" cork they have now in many wineries... no risk of the cork damaging the wine and you still have the ceremonial!