Trent Edwards

Virgil

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or...

He's inconsistent. There is no question he could develop. There were alot of holes in his game a year ago and he'll need to improve to get beyond 7-9. He had good games last year and for a stretch he was great. Now we need 15-17 games of that level of football and the critics will be silenced. Until that happens, he's fair game.

Maybe he was inconsistent because it was his first full year under center. Other than the Cleveland and NE game, Trent played decent all year. He couldn't help the injury, or the horrible play calling--(which lost us many games). Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco are so rare, and everyone thinks every QB should be good like them right away. That's not how it works. Look at any great QB, and 99% of the time, he had flashes of greatness, but didn't become consistent with it for 2, 3, or 4 years. The only reason Flacco was good was because of his supporting cast. Matt Ryan had a good supporting cast, and good coaching.

Just saying, the Trent bashing is getting old. He's a good QB who has a tremendous future ahead. Enough with the hating.

Maybe he was inconsistent because it was his first full year under center. Other than the Cleveland and NE game, Trent played decent all year. He couldn't help the injury, or the horrible play calling--(which lost us many games). Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco are so rare, and everyone thinks every QB should be good like them right away. That's not how it works. Look at any great QB, and 99% of the time, he had flashes of greatness, but didn't become consistent with it for 2, 3, or 4 years. The only reason Flacco was good was because of his supporting cast. Matt Ryan had a good supporting cast, and good coaching.

Just saying, the Trent bashing is getting old. He's a good QB who has a tremendous future ahead. Enough with the hating.

You are way off base. This is an open forum to discuss Bills football. Talking about how Trent didn't get the job done is going to be a topic of conversation until he gets the job done, get used to it. He played in 10 games with the majority being starts in his rookie campaign and got extensive playing time last year. In only one game last year did he throw for more than one touchdown. 11 TDs to 10 Ints is not decent. To a degree you can blame play calling but some of the blame falls on him. His attempts per game are comparable to most guys in the league.

At some point you just have to say he's not getting the job done. I AM NOT SAYING THAT YET, but there is a basis for the criticism. He's accomplished exactly nothing and he's going into year 3. This year is make or break for him, plain and simple. We said it after JP's second season and just about every other QB in the league. I want a quarterback that exceeds expectations honestly, not one I'm waiting for to develop.

The question is way off imho, it's not so much the question if Trent Edwards is a 300 yard plus guy the real question should be:

Is the playbook capable of supporting 300 yard plus passing games.

For the most part, every NFL team has the same plays in their playbook.

The question is way off imho, it's not so much the question if Trent Edwards is a 300 yard plus guy the real question should be:

Is the playbook capable of supporting 300 yard plus passing games.

I was trying to ask both. However, I personally believe that Trent's check-down's and inability to get the ball downfield sometime's limits his ability to get the big play. I'm not saying he is incapable, but his arm limitations and sometimes fear to use a checkdown makes a difference.

But I do agree with you. Does our OC have the ability to really take advantage of our new Offensive weapons. I really don't know.

For the most part, every NFL team has the same plays in their playbook.

Ok maybe I should have said the playcalling then.

Pass receiving

TO = 60 ~ 100 yards a game

Evans = 60 ~ 100 yards a game

Reed = 50 ~ 60 yards a game

Nelson = 30 ~ 40 yards a game

Johnson = 0 ~ 50 yards a game

Jackson = 0 ~ 30 yards a game

Rhodes = 0 ~ 30 yards a game

Lynch = 0 ~ 10 yards a game

Hardy = 0 ~ 20 yards a game

bottomline the weapons are there... but then again nobody really disagrees with that.

As I look at our offensive weapons...I have two concerns. Our Offensive Scheme and Trent Edwards....

I would like to see Edwards record his first 300 yard passing game, before I make predictions on how many times he can do it. As far as his potential, I think he can be an excellent QB in this league, and I think he has the arm and the strength to toss 300 yard games around, if he has the blocking and catching that need to go along with them!

As far as Turk-ey's schemes? Well with T.O. along for his one year ride, it won't take long for us to find out what he will be thinking about those schemes!!

I would like to see Edwards record his first 300 yard passing game, before I make predictions on how many times he can do it. As far as his potential, I think he can be an excellent QB in this league, and I think he has the arm and the strength to toss 300 yard games around, if he has the blocking and catching that need to go along with them!

As far as Turk-ey's schemes? Well with T.O. along for his one year ride, it won't take long for us to find out what he will be thinking about those schemes!!

I tell ya, that is one thing about TO that I am really looking forward to actually. I'm tired of all the DJ quotes and the DJ-like quotes from the players. I want to hear what's actually going on. Get some fire going.

I was trying to ask both. However, I personally believe that Trent's check-down's and inability to get the ball downfield sometime's limits his ability to get the big play. I'm not saying he is incapable, but his arm limitations and sometimes fear to use a checkdown makes a difference.

But I do agree with you. Does our OC have the ability to really take advantage of our new Offensive weapons. I really don't know.

Yet, somehow, Trent averaged 7.2 ypa, 0.1 less than Cutler, tied with Manning, and ahead of rocket arms like McNabb and Big Ben. http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...mp;d-447263-p=1

And do people realize that 300 yards passers lose more than 50% of the time? Stats are for geeks.

I personally believe that Trent's check-down's and inability to get the ball downfield sometime's limits his ability to get the big play. I'm not saying he is incapable, but his arm limitations and sometimes fear to use a checkdown makes a difference.

I think the cause is not so much arm limitations as it was lack of confidence (after his concusion infused by lack of protection, him throwing a couple of interceptions when trying to push the ball into double coverage and Evans receiving double coverage throughout the season (pressure forced him to go for the check down rather then to read more options, later this got worse where you saw him clearly not trusting his own reads and waiting too long to deliver again going for the checkdown). He played a lot of downs under heavy pressure. Also per definition a checkdown isnt as bad as advertised if you average above 3.5 yards on them.

T.O. should solve the Evans issue, which in turn should resolve into him having confidence in his reads. The pressure versus confidence issue will prolly be solved by going to a lot of short passing in the early season (giving the oline further time to develop and create a trust relation between Trent and the oline).

Anyway thats how I observed Trents development throughout last season, reaching Evans became an issue and he lacked trust in his oline (for good reason) combined which led to timing issues. Watch the early games and preseason games of last year and you'll see that Trent has good arm strenght and is accurate. The guy can do it.

Yet, somehow, Trent averaged 7.2 ypa, 0.1 less than Cutler, tied with Manning, and ahead of rocket arms like McNabb and Big Ben. http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...mp;d-447263-p=1

And do people realize that 300 yards passers lose more than 50% of the time? Stats are for geeks.

Doesnt that stat include yards after catch obtained by the receiver?

As I look at our offensive weapons, it's hard to not get excited about the explosive possibilities. With TO and Evans on both sides of the field, Reed/Johnson/Parrish should see great open zones. With Nelson, Derek Fine becomes immediately better just by now having the worst coverman on the other team put on him.

I admit that I am concerned about out OT situation. But I also agree that, with such a solid interior, the Tackle position becomes less important. Jason Peters was usually left out on an island by himself. This won't be the case with our new O-line. I also believe that our power run game will be much improved which will only open up the passing game more.

From that, I have two concerns. Our Offensive Scheme and Trent Edwards.

For the Offensive Scheme, there really isn't much we can do about that. Especially if DJ trys to play the game close to the vest and hope for a 4th quarter win. That basically screws us.

However, I also have to wonder how much different we all would feel with a Cutler, Favre, Manning's, McNabb. I know that I am listing Pro Bowler's here, but there are all guys who consistently find their way to 300 yard games. I think it's something that some QB's "have" and other don't. I don't have the stats in front of me, but I don't think Trent has even broken this barrier. Between that, and his health issues, my question is, how sold on him are you to lead this offense to it's potential?

Well consdering he has only 1, yes just 1, 300 yard game since High School, I am going to say he hasnt shown he can be one. Doesnt mean he can't, but only throwing for 1 300 yard game in all of his college days and 0 in the NFL is not a promising outlook to your question.

Please tell me you are kidding...he had a 4 game stretch of 3TD's and 10 turnovers...more games with a rating under 80 than over 80, only 1 game with more than 1 TD pass, and had 15 turnovers and only 11 TD's.

So, how can you say he was decent in all other games other than NE and Cle? He didnt have a QB rating over 80 in any divisional game either and had more bad games than good...look at the stats. He had terrible games in all 4 divisional games alone.

Doesnt that stat include yards after catch obtained by the receiver?

It's the same for every QB. Plus, does it matter? Because it would certainly hurt the career of Joe Montana. Does that make him any less of a great QB?

Personally, i'd rather have my QB hit the open guy with room to run than take a sack or force a ball some where for a turnpver. but that's just me.

It's the same for every QB. Plus, does it matter? Because it would certainly hurt the career of Joe Montana. Does that make him any less of a great QB?

Personally, i'd rather have my QB hit the open guy with room to run than take a sack or force a ball some where for a turnpver. but that's just me.

No not at all, reason I asked was because the discussion was about armstrenght (which I believe has has just fine). A lot of plays were checkdowns with good yardage after the catch. There werent a lot of deep plays further down the season.