Circling the Wagons

Guest dog14787

We will only go as far this next year as Trent Edwards development will allow...if he steps up, we will be a playoff team and a dangerous one. If he plays like last year, we will be picking in the top 15 next year...I am optimistic about his advancement with all the weapons we brought in, but the other potential issue is how long will it take the line to gel and can TE stay healthy long enough if it takes 4 or 5 games.

+1, TE is now the key.

It takes years for a QB to develop, so it could be argued that he's on schedule. We still don't know if he'll be really good, but the potential is there. We really need the light to turn on in a Brady-esque kind of way. The FO has put the weapons on the field for him, now it's up to him to take it to the next level. There were a lot of open receivers last year that he didn't see.

Last year I was bothered at the defense not being able to stop the run. With FA and the draft, so far nothing has changed in that respect (were our linebackers the issue?). But a potent offense might be the remedy. If the O can light it up, the other teams might have to hoist the ball against us rather than grinding it out on the ground.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I DO feel like the pieces are in place, I have to disagree, purely on the basis that it usually takes at least a season for rookies to really get acclimated to the NFL game. Nelson will not have too much of an impact at first, as he will be learning how to run pro routes. Maybin will have to learn a few other techniques instead of having to rely on his speed to turn the corner.

But when all is said and done, to win football games, you have to be able to rush the passer, and stop the pass rush. This is no longer a game of "run and stop the run," especially since now, we play in a pass-happy league. Rush the passer...we MIGHT be able to accomplish this if Maybin GETS IT right away. My biggest concern is our ability to stop the pass rush. Like you said...time will tell. Let's hope that our new O-Line gels and meshes quickly.

One thing about it though, it's going to take something special, maybe 2 guys from the opposition, to control Maybin's speed, and that gives us an advatage right there whether he gets the sack or not.

Though it can be done...Both Eddie Royal and Ryan Clady had an oustanding rookie season for the Broncos last year.

And the Broncos still didn't make the playoffs.....

I think we have the potential to be much better, but we gotta be lucky too - rookies have to shine, we need a few bounces to go our way at critical times, we gotta stay healthy (big one here!), hope the schedule doesn't play out as tough as it looks, etc.

I'm optimistic about our teams future

Its been awhile since I felt like the Buffalo Bills finally have enough talent to match up with some of the big dogs in the league like the Pats or the Giants and get the job done. In my opinion times are changing and all we have to do is look, its all right there in front of us.

We have a good QB ( I say great , but I'll keep it real ) we have a very good group of running backs, we have a very good group of WR's, we have a good group of TE's now, and the O-line despite losing Jason Peters may end up being a decent line when all is said and done. The FO and coaching staff while maybe not the flashest and most experienced in the league has done a decent job with a very young team, and ownership has stood firm in the belief that we are headed in the right direction.

Our defense will probably end up having one of the best backfields in the league, and the rest of the D with the addition of Maybin and Shoebels return, WOW, I feel sorry for opposing QB's (NOT)

and our Special Teams, well , that ones easy, the best in the National Football league.

So when you look at the whole picture, Buffalo really does have a pretty good football team,

Time will tell...

Pretty good football team + below average coaching + tough schedule = 7-9.

Its been awhile since I felt like the Buffalo Bills finally have enough talent to match up with some of the big dogs in the league like the Pats or the Giants and get the job done. In my opinion times are changing and all we have to do is look, its all right there in front of us.

We have a good QB ( I say great , but I'll keep it real ) we have a very good group of running backs, we have a very good group of WR's, we have a good group of TE's now, and the O-line despite losing Jason Peters may end up being a decent line when all is said and done. The FO and coaching staff while maybe not the flashest and most experienced in the league has done a decent job with a very young team, and ownership has stood firm in the belief that we are headed in the right direction.

Our defense will probably end up having one of the best backfields in the league, and the rest of the D with the addition of Maybin and Shoebels return, WOW, I feel sorry for opposing QB's (NOT)

and our Special Teams, well , that ones easy, the best in the National Football league.

So when you look at the whole picture, Buffalo really does have a pretty good football team,

Time will tell...

Three things for you to consider:

1. Dickie the J

2. Snert

3. Fewell

Still feel the same way?

Time will tell...

i think we are headed in the right direction...next yr we can get more D line & LB help and purge Schobel and Kelsay, I think the O line is gonna be solid. We need TE to stay healthy and also prove himself a bit more this year. If he fails to do either we have to look QB next year-either starter or excellent backup.

1-2 yrs away from being in contention.

I hate to do it, but I agree. Nobody is taking into account the schedule we are facing. This is going to be a difficult year for wins, but great year for growth and development as a TEAM for the future. The pieces are finally in place, but it's going to take some time.

Guest dog14787
Some truth to that. Fortunately for me, I will have a good car, good driver and good pit crew this upcoming weekend and have a real chance to win.

I wonder how the Aflac duck felt riding with Carl Edwards at the end of the Talledaga on Sunday :rolleyes:

AFFFFFFFFFLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCC!!!!!!!!!

In a nut-shell, yes. The issue is whether players can overcome coaching, or coaching can make players better. In any environment, leadership must provide a plan so those doing the work can succeed. When things go right, it's the players. When they go wrong, it's generally management.

In the case of the Bills, a glut of bad decisions has made it difficult for players to perform. I was high on TO coming in, so we could see if Edwards was the real deal. Not long afterward, management saw fit to revamp a bad OL. Then they dealt Peters for rookies. So the line remains in a state of flux, same as it was going into 2007. Difference is, this year it'll be rookies and untested UFA's doing the work. Edwards has his work cut out from him.

Potential only means one thing: ain't done nothin yet. Everyone mentions the Bills have potential, but fans were saying this after 2007.

Guest dog14787
We will only go as far this next year as Trent Edwards development will allow...if he steps up, we will be a playoff team and a dangerous one. If he plays like last year, we will be picking in the top 15 next year...I am optimistic about his advancement with all the weapons we brought in, but the other potential issue is how long will it take the line to gel and can TE stay healthy long enough if it takes 4 or 5 games.

I believe with the addition of players like T.O. and Shawn Nelson, defenses are going to be back peddling trying to contain Buffalo's short passing game and the run game so much TE will become hard to stop, especially with his lightning quick release. Meanwhile players like Reed and Lee Evans will continue to stretch the field and find open spaces until someone breaks wide open deep,

Probably TO or Lee Evans for a TD :rolleyes:

1. Assuming the coaching staff has tested their LT solution last year to their satisfaction it looks like all pieces are in place if all pieces turnout as intended.

2. There is a lot of position shifting going on which makes for an uncertain factor.

3. We have a rough schedule.

4. New oline groups traditionally take time to blossom (allthough teams have reached and won the SB with completly or partly rebuild olines).

5. Jauron and his staff need to show a huge improvement on gamedays (clock management, feck the deffering theory (a fresh D coming off the tea send out with a mission and strong focus will be able to turn the not defering into an advantage), stronger play calling).

6. If we don't manage to do it this year then we will prolly have lost momentum again (loosing mcgee and TO next year).

7. The offense has the chance to be something really special this year with TO, Evans, Reed (if he plays as good as last year) and Nelson turns out.

It can be done but it requires both luck (no critical or minimal injuries), lot's of work and very strong coaching.

I think the OL will really be a strength. Addition through subtraction. They will be a focused, competitive bunch. I agree, things look much better, but they still have to go out and get it done. They badly need guys to stand up and be leaders. I'm really hoping that Edwards takes full command of the leadership role. No more excuses. It's time for guys to step up and get it done. They are a playoff-caliber team, but they still have to go out and prove it.

Guest dog14787
I think the OL will really be a strength. Addition through subtraction. They will be a focused, competitive bunch. I agree, things look much better, but they still have to go out and get it done. They badly need guys to stand up and be leaders. I'm really hoping that Edwards takes full command of the leadership role. No more excuses. It's time for guys to step up and get it done. They are a playoff-caliber team, but they still have to go out and prove it.

You pretty much it up summed it up in three words, no more excuses.