From an ACTUAL Source

Here is an ACTUAL SOURCE who backs up the OP (but notice he says nothing about winning games):

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/0...h-jauron-bills/

Yes. I have written before that Dick Jauron is the best coach in the NFL when it comes to player relationships, and I still believe that. My time in Orchard Park with Jauron was everything I expected — a head coach who actually talks to his players like they’re human and a guy who cares about his players, their families, their careers, their health and their play on Sunday.

Jauron sometimes gets a bad rap because he’s considered a “player’s coach.” Translation: A player can do whatever he chooses — with or without the support of the head man (Wade Phillips, anyone?). Not with Jauron, and not in Buffalo. Yes, he’s a coach you want to play for and want to win for, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t hold you accountable — because he does.

In this regard, T.O. will be able to act like the character he is — which, we all know, is important to his persona — but Jauron won’t let that “character” dismantle his view of winning. Say all you want about how T.O. is a team destroyer or has a contagious effect in the locker room — like some kind of new disease discovered at the CDC — but Jauron just won’t allow it. He treats the men on his team with respect, but he expects — no, he demands — that same respect in return.

That’s called good coaching. It’s also called being professional. Sure, I know what you’re thinking, that T.O. personifies everything but a professional — however, he can expect to act accordingly under Jauron or he’ll sit on the bench and be shown the door come next offseason. We all know he can be an issue, just as our own Michael Lombardi wrote this morning, but I just can’t see Jauron letting this thing get out of control in Buffalo.

Why? Well, because Jauron is like that professor you liked so much in college, or that coach who guided you through the rigors of high school ball. He takes “respect” to a whole new level, and that, my friends, is something that’s not talked about these days when it comes to the NFL cutthroat world.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is an ACTUAL SOURCE who backs up the OP (but notice he says nothing about winning games):

Yes. I have written before that Dick Jauron is the best coach in the NFL when it comes to player relationships, and I still believe that. My time in Orchard Park with Jauron was everything I expected — a head coach who actually talks to his players like they’re human and a guy who cares about his players, their families, their careers, their health and their play on Sunday.

Jauron sometimes gets a bad rap because he’s considered a “player’s coach.” Translation: A player can do whatever he chooses — with or without the support of the head man (Wade Phillips, anyone?). Not with Jauron, and not in Buffalo. Yes, he’s a coach you want to play for and want to win for, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t hold you accountable — because he does.

In this regard, T.O. will be able to act like the character he is — which, we all know, is important to his persona — but Jauron won’t let that “character” dismantle his view of winning. Say all you want about how T.O. is a team destroyer or has a contagious effect in the locker room — like some kind of new disease discovered at the CDC — but Jauron just won’t allow it. He treats the men on his team with respect, but he expects — no, he demands — that same respect in return.

That’s called good coaching. It’s also called being professional. Sure, I know what you’re thinking, that T.O. personifies everything but a professional — however, he can expect to act accordingly under Jauron or he’ll sit on the bench and be shown the door come next offseason. We all know he can be an issue, just as our own Michael Lombardi wrote this morning, but I just can’t see Jauron letting this thing get out of control in Buffalo.

Why? Well, because Jauron is like that professor you liked so much in college, or that coach who guided you through the rigors of high school ball. He takes “respect” to a whole new level, and that, my friends, is something that’s not talked about these days when it comes to the NFL cutthroat world.

:blink::w00t:

This is how I closed one of the PM's I sent back regarding my source's identity:

So, one thing that simply CANNOT be argued about Jauron is what an outstanding human being he is. I personally think that says a lot more about his ability to coach than folks on TSW understand/will admit.

What does this have to do with his coaching ability? I lived in Chicago during his whole reign of terror there. He was a good guy then and still a horrible coach on gameday. What has changed? His decision making ability on Sundays is horrible and when you can specifically remember important games he has lost, it is pretty bad.

Have you seen what his OVERALL record is against winning teams?? Oh my goodness, it's atrocious!

Yeah, Baumer, the whole point was that my source is a Chicago guy, much more in the know than you (I assume) and he's only got positive things to say.

What bridge would any Chicagoan be hoping to mend/maintain by lying TO ME about how he felt about Jauron THE COACH. He dind't give me a "he's great, but" he didn't even hesitate when Jauron's name came up, his response was gushing.

No intention of insulting YOU, but what motivation would a Chicago guy WHO'S ACTUALLY IN THE KNOW have to salvage Jauron's reputation?

Yeah, Baumer, the whole point was that my source is a Chicago guy, much more in the know than you (I assume) and he's only got positive things to say.

What bridge would any Chicagoan be hoping to mend/maintain by lying TO ME about how he felt about Jauron THE COACH. He dind't give me a "he's great, but" he didn't even hesitate when Jauron's name came up, his response was gushing.

No intention of insulting YOU, but what motivation would a Chicago guy WHO'S ACTUALLY IN THE KNOW have to salvage Jauron's reputation?

So your Chicago "source" gushes over Jauron, no one here gives a f__king sh_t. Why should we care what some source has to say about Dick Jauron? I heard Wayne Fonts was a gem of a guy too. Bill Walsh gushed over Trent Edwards and how exactly has that resulted in Buffalo wins on Sunday? Does that make Edwards a great QB? Are you trying to say Jauron is a good coach or a great guy or both? Please tell us what the f are you talking about because as of now it's 5 pages long and still pointless.

So your Chicago "source" gushes over Jauron, no one here gives a f__king sh_t. Why should we care what some source has to say about Dick Jauron? I heard Wayne Fonts was a gem of a guy too. Bill Walsh gushed over Trent Edwards and how exactly has that resulted in Buffalo wins on Sunday? Does that make Edwards a great QB? Are you trying to say Jauron is a good coach or a great guy or both? Please tell us what the f are you talking about because as of now it's 5 pages long and still pointless.

See this quote from above?

So, one thing that simply CANNOT be argued about Jauron is what an outstanding human being he is. I personally think that says a lot more about his ability to coach than folks on TSW understand/will admit.

Still have questions?

You forgot this part:

Simple. Jauron has to win now, like today, or he’ll probably be gone. As much as I like and enjoyed playing for the man, this is still the business of winning — that’s it. Nice guys are great but only if they produce in the win column.

Dick always used to say “we are judged by wins and loses” in the NFL. And isn’t that true? Of course. Good coaching is one thing, relationships are another, but winning — that’s all that counts at this level.

The above part says it all.

Dick Jauron: nice guy, perennial loser. Even by Dick's own standards.

See this quote from above?

Still have questions?

His being an outstanding human being says a lot more about his ability to coach than we here can understand or admit????

Sorry, but that statement makes absolutely NO SENSE. I dare you to explain that one to me.

His being an outstanding human being says a lot more about his ability to coach than we here can understand or admit????

Sorry, but that statement makes absolutely NO SENSE. I dare you to explain that one to me.

nice people make better coaches and TSW are stupid. :rolleyes:

I would also like to add into the fray the fact that this is another professional source. You know, someone who actually knows something about what Dick Jauron does aside from what's shown on TV.

I see the same tired examples being thrown around- time out management, challenge management, play calling, blah blah blah. None of them have or ever will change my mind about Jauron. I think he's a great coach, and I think citing a handful of wayward challenges in three years is weak sauce.

I love that someone said [bad challengers/wasted time outs] happen so often he "can't remember them all." Well gee, isn't that convenient. As the last Jauron support left in Bill nation I watched the guy like a HAWK for the last 7 games of 2008 waiting for these so called "chronic" mistakes. Hardly saw a one.

If he had a talented roster, I think you'd all agree that petty things like TO's and challenges are basically non-issues. If you're enraged about me calling these particular blunders "non-issues", then cite specific losses (more than one) which were ultimately deterred by a wayward challenge/TO, and I'll show you A DOZEN player mistakes which should have rendered the slight time difference obselete.

I don't buy the "players' mistakes are coaches' mistakes" argument, so please don't bring that sh-t.

I'd venture to say that the 2009 Bills might be the most talented team he's ever coached, so before you tell me what an a-s kissing retard I am, let's just agree to reserve judgment.

....is that you Marv?.......Ralph? :rolleyes:

nice people make better coaches and TSW are stupid. :rolleyes:

Now it all makes sense. :w00t:

The only "nice" guy I remember winning the Superbowl was Tony Dungy, and he happen to need one of the all time great QBs and a bad Bears team to even accomplish that. Unfortunately, I don't think Peyton Manning is coming here.

I really like working with one of the coaches at the local school. Heck of a nice guy, always willing to get me whatever stats I need for that week's story, don't think I've ever heard anyone say a bad word about him. Just a super guy.

Too bad his team's 1-8.

If he had a talented roster, I think you'd all agree that petty things like TO's and challenges are basically non-issues. If you're enraged about me calling these particular blunders "non-issues", then cite specific losses (more than one) which were ultimately deterred by a wayward challenge/TO, and I'll show you A DOZEN player mistakes which should have rendered the slight time difference obselete.

This is akin to walking into a dying forest, and trying to figure out the exact cause of why each tree is dying. If one would step back and take a bigger view, they would see the stream feeding the forest is polluted.

I don't buy the "players' mistakes are coaches' mistakes" argument, so please don't bring that sh-t.

I see you never had to deal with a well intentioned likable but incompetent manager/supervisor before. Until you do, you will never grasp the concept of why Jauron is a terrible head coach.

:rolleyes::w00t:

This is how I closed one of the PM's I sent back regarding my source's identity:

So dick's great and all, but when can we expect results from him, such as a winning season? (Note: dickie has had 1 winning season in 8 as a coach). Nice bosses and great people are all well and good, but being nice is relatively worthless when you don't produce results. And dick has shown that he can't produce.

What baffles me is the unwavering support of some people toward him. Do you have the same feelings for Rich Kotite? Excuse us if some of us actually want a coach that can win and take us to the playoffs, and are fed up with the "play not to lose" and "hope the other team messes up" style of football.

You do have to take into account that Jauron doesn't cheat.

BB went 18-0 after he stopped "cheating".

DJ is never going to be a good NFL HC. Not sure what you people are waiting for just around the corner. I don't think guys play any "harder" for him than they would for a better HC.

Nice guys don't count for Dick in the NFL. As much as I admire Tony Dungy for the leader, coach, and man that he has been, I'll take a rat bas#%@$ like Belichick, J. Johnson, Parcells, or Coughlin over a "nice guy" any day of the week to be the coach of my team. The fans in New England, Dallas, and New York don't have to apologize to anyone for their multiple Lombardi trophies.

I'm not in the slightest bit ashamed of my support of Dick Jauron.

The reasons I support Dick (couldn't help the dick joke) were once again confirmed tonight.

Just one more person who's worked with Jauron and who has nothing but praises for him. My source is an informed guy. He considers Dick a friend from Dick's time here in Chicago. He knows him professionally. He's seen Jauron in the locker room. He referred to him as the one of the most "under rated coaches in the league."

I feel bad blowing up my source in light of recent events, if you're truly curious about his identity, you're welcomed to PM me and I'll give you all the details about my source, so long as he stays private.

I won't respond to your PM if I've never heard of you.

Who cares about how nice a guy DJ is? And you need to hear of me to respond to my PM? Wow, is this like "top secret double probation"?? Don't worry, you've never heard of me, but I won't be sending any PM's to hear what a wonderful life "George Baily Jauron" has had! I hope the guy wins the damn SB this season, and gets treated like Tony Dungy. But I'm afraid the reality of it is, he most likely won't sniff the playoffs this season either, get fired, and continue to be Mr. Nice Guy lousy coach.

Nice guys don't count for Dick in the NFL. As much as I admire Tony Dungy for the leader, coach, and man that he has been, I'll take a rat bas#%@$ like Belichick, J. Johnson, Parcells, or Coughlin over a "nice guy" any day of the week to be the coach of my team. The fans in New England, Dallas, and New York don't have to apologize to anyone for their multiple Lombardi trophies.

I would like to add something to this post

Andy Ried is a nice guy too but unlike Jauron his training camps are one of the tougest in the league and its makes his team much tougher. Plus he has some damn good assitant coaches that have experience in the game.

Mike Tomlin seems like a players coach as well. But he also has tough practices and has a good staff helping him.

my point being its ok to be a nice guy or a players coach.

But sooner rather than later we have to see results

Everybody knows Jauron is not gonna change the way he sees the game

If Russ and company can move Dockery, Peters, Royal out the door for sub-par results he can do the same with Jauron

Bet by the bye week he will be gone if the team is not turning the corner because you cant say now that the team doesnt have talent.

You are an idiot what does it matter what his reputation is by 'someone in the know?'. HE LOSES GAMES. 'Nuff said, reputation, shmeputation.

I would LOVE tony dungy as a coach. Winner. Won in TB, won in Indy including SB. Dick and Dungy are nothing alike, aside from being nice.