I always defend WGR...

ans4e64

Also, do they discuss Mike Schopp on this dark side as much as people do over here?

jw

No. Over there it's an embedded assumption that Internet forums are a vast wasteland of illiterate boobs (the mental kind). So, why would we disagree with his wisdom?

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy, you may want to re-think using the word coward in reference to me. Seek life elsewhere, this is a bad plan for you. :devil:

With that said, re-read my post, I did respond to your challenge explicitly, but it's still irrelevant to the point of this thread. I honestly have no idea what your "first challenge" was, but how about you go back and answer any one of my 5 questions before you start talking about who did what?

Your comments have driven this entire thread, you have no one to blame but yourself, because you keep saying things like "the big joke when the mikes are off is". And when I ask you "what mike?" you obfuscate for 5 pages.

But, I guarantee that you will keep posting here and keep carrying water for Schopp(figured out how to spell his name right yet pal?). Go ahead and prove me wrong.

LOL, you are correct. This thread only got going because Preston would side step questions wheather he was Mike Schopp or if he was just wiping him after bathroom visits. The fact that he called you out from behind your keyboard is just hilarious. If I were you I would take him up on the offer. After all he might be Mike Schopp.

so, now that we've ruffled enough feathers, accused some of being water carriers and comparing bank accounts, been assinated and, perhaps, asinine (writer's license, it worked here in the sentence, so directed at no one) what have we learned here?

that people can be opinionated and stubborn and insensitive. and perhaps calmer heads should prevail and a group hug be in order because ... ah, screw it, page 21 is just around the corner.

jw

Get with the program, John...

Something like that. Lori is wise enough to avoid the place for 363 days of the year.

Absolutely true. When I do visit, it's normally just to stick my nose inside the door for a couple of minutes, shudder, then back out of the room and try to block the memory of what I've seen.

John, "PPP" can be found in the index as "Politics, Polls, and Pundits," which was created during the 2000 Presidential election. Take this group, get them arguing politics in an almost-anything-goes setting, and ... well, you can probably imagine the result.

:w00t:

(Actually, there have been some incredibly good discussions over there, about topics a heck of a lot more important than who's going to be the Bills' third-string QB -- or whether or not you listen to a certain sportstalk radio host. Like here, though, there is a mighty big haystack to dig through to find those few needles.)

Anytime you want to come out from behind that keyboard we will compare expense accounts and my knowledge of facts and then we can let the rest of the posters decide who the idiot is. You have turned this thread into more then what initially was and in a typically cowardly fashion don't take me up on my first challenge and again avoid the second challenge because typically don't want to dare get facts in the way of your agenda. Good bye and enjoy your little fantasies.

Somebody got his feathers ruffled... :w00t:

Bulldog, and no Schopp... what's there not to like? :unsure:

Bulldog should have his own show, he gives you everything you want IMO.

I used to listen to Chris' show on WBEN all the time, and really like him. I think he'd be great solo if given the chance, just as Howard used to be/still is occasionally.

Too bad the Entercom consultant's playbook says you have to have a good cop/bad cop format, 'cause all the research says that's what works best in drive time... :P

(Oh no! I sense this thread going in a new direction :w00t: )

It works for me. I liked Bulldog solo, too, but not anymore - when Schoop is gone, it's boring with no edge, and I definitely will listen to Brad..........Same with Bulldog gone, too. I don't know why because they don't seem to have great chemistry, but I really like the two of them together, with Greg as added humor.

Like here, though, there is a mighty big haystack to dig through to find those few needles.)

From what I've seen, there has been plenty of needling here ... ouch.

And I'll refrain from entering any political discussions. Makes Flutie-Johnson debates amateurish by comparison, if you get my drift.

jw

From what I've seen, there has been plenty of needling here ... ouch.

And I'll refrain from entering any political discussions. Makes Flutie-Johnson debates amateurish by comparison, if you get my drift.

jw

In fairness, the board started on the heels of DF/RJ debates, so it was a natural progression.

Just a couple of things:

1) Schopp grew up on Grand Island and has spent almost his entire life in WNY so I'm not sure where this idea that he is some outsider who hates the area comes from.

2) One problem WGR has that stations in bigger cities don't have is the lack of year round MAJOR LEAGUE local sports. Many have said they ought to try to talk baseball and the Bisons, or Lacrosse and the Bandits, but the audience is just too small. Too bad, because it seems like some local college, Bisons, and Bandits talk could add some variety.

If you are in NY, Chicago, Boston, etc. you can talk NBA and MLB right now. If the Sabres cared about putting out a winning product, the NHL playoffs could bridge some of that gap. but you cannot expect that every year either. There are long stretches where WGR has to reach to find enough material for several hours of programming, and it suffers as a result.

3) I DO agree that at times WGR seems very "anti-Bills" especially Schopp. Partly this is due to the fact that the team has stunk for years, so he plays his schtick to drum up callers. I think Schopp represents that part of the WNY sports fan psyche that feels betrayed and/or angry about all this Toronto talk, and he expresses it.

4) Bottom line, there are threads about Mike Schopp here and on TBD. That means he is doing his job, bottom line. PEOPLE CARE about him and WGR, even if he generates negative feelings. People like Dennis Williams can disappear and nobody notices because he was so boring and had ZERO radio presence. Schopp is EXACTLY what you want in media: CONTROVERSY and INTEREST.

If they love you, then you hit something truly rare. If they hate you, you are doing a great job. But if they don't care, you are unemployed.