Round 7, Pick 220: ELLIS LANKSTER, CB, West Virginia

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like special teams. From NFLDC:

Notes:

Transfer from Jones County (Miss.) Junior College where he was an All-American return man and also blocked four field goals...Was arrested and charged with receiving and transferring stolen goods in 2007...Entered a pre-trial diversion program but his junior year was derailed as he was forced to serve a three game suspension to start the season...Was barely on the radar prior to the 2008 campaign but won a starting job and had a great year...Averaged 24.4 yards on 8 Kick Returns / 8.6 yards on 20 Punt Returns...Best chance to make a roster may come on special teams...Emerging prospect who really helped his draft stock as a senior after entering the year with a undraftable grade.

It's the 7th round, there was nobody that good out there. So the Bills take a player they may like.

Who did you want, Drew Willey? He !@#$ing sucks. But we will probably get him as a FA - he won't get drafted.

Wow, even I was annoyed by this. Not sure why they would want to create such a glut at DB. Surely there must have been a developmental lineman or QB or TE. Ryan Purvis, BC TE? How about a kicker to keep Rian Lindell motivated?

I really like the draft as a whole, and I know these late picks are unlikely to pan out no matter who it is, but they basically just drafted the same "zone corner/free safety tweener" twice in a row. There wasn't a single LB out there who actually played LB in college who was worth a flyer? Or an actual OT?

It's the 7th round, there was nobody that good out there. So the Bills take a player they may like.

Excellent. Its too bad we ran out of picks, though. There are still a few more spots on the practice squad for CBs that'll never make the active roster.

Maybe they're hoping one of these guys can stick and be a cheaper version of Florence, and anyone else they're interested in can probably be signed as an undrafted FA anyway. Still don't like it, doesn't make sense, but that's the only thing I can think of at the moment....