Round 5, Pick 147: NIC HARRIS, OLB, Oklahoma

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harris is a STUD. Runs like a DB, hits like a LB. Best cover LB in the draft, a great open field tackler as well. Expect to see him starting over Ellison very early into the season. I have been talking him up for months now, and I just cant believe the Bills actually got him. In time this will be the best pick of the Bills draft.

Nic, is that you?

Harris is a STUD. Runs like a DB, hits like a LB. Best cover LB in the draft, a great open field tackler as well. Expect to see him starting over Ellison very early into the season. I have been talking him up for months now, and I just cant believe the Bills actually got him. In time this will be the best pick of the Bills draft.

Holding you to this haha, but I like the pick

i just texted a friend of mine who is a huge OU fan. here is what he said about him. "awesome safety. hard hitting. played a little at linebacker. has a temper, occasionally has stupid penalties but one of the best defensive choices from OK in the draft."

Could be a LB but all I've seen about him is a safety. I think the Bills will try to convert him to LB and his coverage skills should be above average after playing safety. However, IMO, he was drafted for his ST ability and will be developed for a LB job while he contributes on ST's.

Better than Wood, better than Levitre, better than Nelson? :thumbsup: No. Not in any stretch of the imagination. Nelson is going to be the greatest value we drafted IMO. To get him in the 4th was awesome.

i just texted a friend of mine who is a huge OU fan. here is what he said about him. "awesome safety. hard hitting. played a little at linebacker. has a temper, occasionally has stupid penalties but one of the best defensive choices from OK in the draft."

That is the only thing I can't stand about him.

Every time I saw them play this year he was doing something dirty that garnered a penalty. I had him on my list of players I didn't want the Bills to draft. It's nothing about his play, though. If they can get him to stop being such an !@#$ on the field, then I won't care. But I don't want to see him do that sshit for the Bills.

Holding you to this haha, but I like the pick

Thats fine, my posts leading up to the draft show how much I like him as our OLB. Physically speaking, he is a lot like Cushing, who many wanted at 11. Here are the combine numbers I could find.

Height Weight Arm Length 40 Yard Reps Hand Length

Brian Cushing USC 6'2 7/8 243 32 1/2" 4.74 30 10"

Nic Harris Oklahoma 6'2 3/8 234 32 1/2" 4.78 15 10 1/8"

Almost Identical combines, aside from the bench reps. He position at OK was the "roy" a hybrid ss/lb position. Had a great Sr Bowl where he played only as a LB. Let him adjust to a new position and the NFL level and I think he is a solid starter by week 8. It shouldnt be hard for him to beat out Ellison.

To adress his dirty/stupid penalties. IMO they were not the type of dirty penalty you would associate with Rodney Harrison, more like the penalty where Whitner ran down that Raider in the endzone. He always plays hard and through the whistle - hitting guys a bit late or out of bounds. I am a little scared of that but its better to play hard and agressive than shy and scared. He will bring a much needed nasty attitude to our soft defense.

Looks like an Adrian Wilson clone, or similar to Rodney Harrison. Big oversized safety with marginal speed who plays violently. He will move to linebacker apparently which is fine. Former Cowboy Roy Williams and Jermaine Phillips of Tampa Bay are making the transition from safety to linebacker also. For the #147th pick, this is an excellent football player. He reeks toughness and violence. Love it.

per nfldraftcountdown.com,

They have him listed as an OLB prospect.

Strengths:

Outstanding size and bulk...Good tackler...Excellent instincts...Tough and physical...Active and aggressive...A decent blitzer...Nice special teams potential...Hard worker...Mature...Team leader...Durable and has a lot of experience...Was real productive...Offers some versatility.

Weaknesses:

Does not have very good speed or quickness...Lacks fluid hips...Isn't a big hitter...Just average hands and ball skills...Range is limited...Will struggle to turn and run in coverage ... Might not have a true position.

Notes:

Played safety for the Sooners but will most likely move to outside linebacker in the pros...Was a three-year starter...Named 2nd Team All-Big 12 as a sophomore and earned 1st Team honors in 2007 and 2008....Had a rough upbringing and overcame a lot of adversity...Sat out spring practice in 2008 while he nursed a shoulder injury...Classic 'tweener who doesn't have the speed to play safety in the pros but isn't really big enough to play linebacker...Possesses better intangibles than physical tools...Should be either an in-the-box strong safety or a weakside linebacker at the next level but his best chance to make a roster might come on special teams...Fantastic college player but isn't nearly the pro prospect his press clippings would lead you to believe.

The first two are contradictory and the third is just stupid. He's 6'2" 234!!! He's almost exactly the same as DiGiorgio and isn't full sized yet.

:thumbsup:

I hope he is more than just a ST'er. Didn't they use a 5th round pick last year on another LB(Bowen) who was drafted primarily to be a ST'er?

Alvin Bowen.

I'm not opposed to drafting a LB in the 5th round every year, actually. If they don't turn out to be stars, they usually have a good 3-4 year run as depth and ST contributors. Nothing wrong with that...

What? Where did see this

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/563872

Compares To: CATO JUNE, Houston -- Harris does not have the pass coverage ability of June, but both are more of a chase-and-trail type of linebacker who work better playing downhill and in the short-area pursuit than handling man coverage assignments. Like June, Harris will be limited to playing in a Cover-2 scheme. It is evident by his poor hip turn and marginal speed for the position that he will not be considered to be a strong safety by many teams.

The first two are contradictory and the third is just stupid. He's 6'2" 234!!! He's almost exactly the same as DiGiorgio and isn't full sized yet.

:thumbsup:

The size reference is in terms of playing safety....he's a OLB at the next level.