Pettigrew-R u kidding me?

Let's try to think logically (for the people saying we should take Pettigrew with the 11th pick) I know top priority on my offseason wish list was a tight end who caught ZERO touchdown passes on a pass oriented offense.

What we should do is take the best playmaking most athletic DE with #11. Which in my opinion is Everette Brown.

With our 28th we should take the best avalible OLB (do u really want Ellison to start again next year?) I think atleast one of the projected top 25 will drop.

Our Second round pick should be the Best avalible Center, so we can move Hangartner to Gaurd. Our STARTING O-line would be Chambers, Hangartner, 2nd Round Center, Butler, Walker Line=Formidable. Decent Depth

And lastly our third round pick should be a pass catching tight end preferably Ingram from FLA.

I think this is the best way to approach the draft. However our front office is bound to do the unexpected. Go head and Fire away!

Let's try to think logically (for the people saying we should take Pettigrew with the 11th pick) I know top priority on my offseason wish list was a tight end who caught ZERO touchdown passes on a pass oriented offense.

What we should do is take the best playmaking most athletic DE with #11. Which in my opinion is Everette Brown.

With our 28th we should take the best avalible OLB (do u really want Ellison to start again next year?) I think atleast one of the projected top 25 will drop.

Our Second round pick should be the Best avalible Center, so we can move Hangartner to Gaurd. Our STARTING O-line would be Chambers, Hangartner, 2nd Round Center, Butler, Walker Line=Formidable. Decent Depth

And lastly our third round pick should be a pass catching tight end preferably Ingram from FLA.

I think this is the best way to approach the draft. However our front office is bound to do the unexpected. Go head and Fire away!

I think most people who want Pettigrew, want him as an alternative if Brown or Orakpo isn't there at 11.

Here's what I see with a de-emphasis in TE:

Round Pick # Player Pos Ht Wt

Round 1 11 Tyson Jackson (LSU) DE 6'4" 296

alternate Robert Ayers (Tenn) DE 6'3" 273

Round 1 28 Clay Mattews (USC) OLB 6'3" 240

alternate Brian Cushing (USC) OLB 6'3" 243

Round 2 42 Eben Britton (Ariz) OT 6'6" 310

alternate Alex Mack (Cal) C 6'4" 309

Round 3 75 A. Q. Shipley (PSU) C 6'1" 304

alternate Jamon Meredith (So. Carolina) OT 6'5" 305

Round 4 110 Tony Flammatta (Syracuse) FB 6'0" 245

Round 4 121 Sebastian Vollmer (Houston) OT 6'8" 312

Round 5 147 Brandon Hughes (Oregon St) CB 5'11 182

Round 6 183 Tommy Breaux (Towson) WR 6'7" 205

Round 7 220 Jack Simmons (Minnesota) TE 6'5" 255

I would like to here more what u guys think about the rest of my post other than not wasting an 11th pick on a TE who caught ZERO TD passes on a pass oriented team. It would be the equivalent of tacking a DE with ZERO sacks on a blitzing team.

Wrong. That is a line who's best player, Walker, is described using terms such as "serviceable" and "mediocre at best". Also, there is NO depth what-so-ever. Name five backups...doesnt even have to be one for each spot, just five in general. I dont think i can name three...and the two i can name would be practice squad players on most teams around the league.

Also disagree with DE at #11. We at least have starting DEs and depth there. We also have a lot of $$$ there. The bang for the buck and biggest upgrade pick *MUST* be OL.

I would like Pettigrew if we could get him at 28 because he blocks so well. I know, flashback of Robert Royal are playing through your head right now, but from what I am reading, Pettigrew's blocking game is as rare as it is outstanding for a TE prospect. I think he helps the run game, and i think he helps us in the months of Nov, Dec, and hopefully Jan.

That's fine, but if they do pass on Pettigrew, no bitching and complaining from you if/when their bargain TEs make a key mistake or three that cost the Bills a few games.

That's what I don't get. Everyone whines about Royal and the other TEs they've had over the last several years, but no one wants to pay to upgrade.

I would like to here more what u guys think about the rest of my post other than not wasting an 11th pick on a TE who caught ZERO TD passes on a pass oriented team. It would be the equivalent of tacking a DE with ZERO sacks on a blitzing team.

Oklahoma State is not a pass oriented team. They use a spread offense, but they run it an awful lot. In fact, they were ranked 8th in the country in rushing this past season versus 38th in passing.

The lack of TD receptions for Pettigrew doesn't really concern me, either. He was not the first receiving target in that offense and additionally, he was playing with a high ankle sprain suffered early in the season.

Here's what I see with a de-emphasis in TE:

Round Pick # Player Pos Ht Wt

Round 1 11 Tyson Jackson (LSU) DE 6'4" 296

alternate Robert Ayers (Tenn) DE 6'3" 273

Round 1 28 Clay Mattews (USC) OLB 6'3" 240

alternate Brian Cushing (USC) OLB 6'3" 243

Round 2 42 Eben Britton (Ariz) OT 6'6" 310

alternate Alex Mack (Cal) C 6'4" 309

Round 3 75 A. Q. Shipley (PSU) C 6'1" 304

alternate Jamon Meredith (So. Carolina) OT 6'5" 305

Round 4 110 Tony Flammatta (Syracuse) FB 6'0" 245

Round 4 121 Sebastian Vollmer (Houston) OT 6'8" 312

Round 5 147 Brandon Hughes (Oregon St) CB 5'11 182

Round 6 183 Tommy Breaux (Towson) WR 6'7" 205

Round 7 220 Jack Simmons (Minnesota) TE 6'5" 255

i think clay matthews is too old

Name five backups...doesnt even have to be one for each spot, just five in general. I dont think i can name three...and the two i can name would be practice squad players on most teams around the league.

First of all, nobody keeps 10 linemen, so I wouldn't expect people to be able to name 5 backups. Thats going pretty deep into the camp fodder.

Secondly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Seth McKinnie being a team's best backup lineman. He always starts at least a few games for whatever team he is on, so we aren't the first team to have him in that roll.

I think if your argument is based solely on looking up his senior year stat line (9 career TDs), you don't have much to stand on. If you put a little more research into the prospects like a lot of people on this board have, you will realize that Pettigrew is a tremendous talent who could vastly help the Bills (and this opinion is coming from a guy that truly believes you need to build a football team in the trenches).

First of all, nobody keeps 10 linemen, so I wouldn't expect people to be able to name 5 backups. Thats going pretty deep into the camp fodder.

Secondly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Seth McKinnie being a team's best backup lineman. He always starts at least a few games for whatever team he is on, so we aren't the first team to have him in that roll.

Both fair points. That said, do you disagree with my contention that our line is neither "formidable" or has "decent depth"?

Trust Me I do my research.......9 td passes in 4 years blows me away, I stand corrected, certainly worthy of a #11 pick. Your right. Who needs pressure on a QB, let him stand there all day and find receivers while Kelsay's High Motor Ass gets pushed into the third row. As far as naming five solid depth players you are obviously not up to date with how many competent back o-linemen NFL teams keep. If u have 2-3, which we do, u r lucky.

Both fair points. That said, do you disagree with my contention that our line is neither "formidable" or has "decent depth"?

Well provided they draft someone at #42 or higher who can play both Guard and Center, I don't think the depth is so bad, actually. McKinnie looks like good depth along the interior (with the rookie sliding to Center if Hangy goes down), as other teams have trusted him as a starter in the past. Bell would be the third Tackle...this is where I can understand people taking issue, but the team appears to be high on the kid, and the OL guys on this board who saw him in the preseason last year were encouraged. His weakness coming out was strength issues, and having been in an NFL conditioning program for a year, you'd think he'd have made some progress on that front. There also exists the possibility that if a Tackle went down, rather than use Bell, they could shift Butler back to Tackle and bring McKinnie off the bench.

Also, I think people overestimate the standard for backup offensive linemen around the league...I imagine with McKinnie and Bell being our two top reserves, we would be no worse off than most other teams. Just a hunch.

As for the starters, I think the unit will look remarkably similar to the way its looked the last three seasons or so. They won't be elite pass blockers but they will hold up well enough in pass pro. The run blocking will be poor against most quality opponents, and adequate against not-so-quality opponents. We have to hope the threat of Evans and Owens will open up rushing lanes that weren't there last year. I don't think a rookie OT can change things a whole lot...however, I do think infusing the defensive front seven with two good, young players at DE and OLB could make a real impact, so I'm more inclined to look at those spots.

My ideal draft is Ayers, Orakpo, Maybin or Raji at 11, an OLB, DT or an interior O-lineman at 28, and another of those three at 42. But please, no tight ends or OTs at 11...the defensive line NEEDS that pick. We'll see how it goes, should be a fun day. :thumbsup: