(LAMP) Having dinner tonight with a big wig

plenzmd1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude come on, this can't be serious can it?

Personal chef? I have a feeling the Menu is:

Apeteasers:

Back Bacon

Main Course:

Back Bacon, just more of it...beauty

Dessert:

Jelly Donut

What the hell is poutine????

What the hell is poutine????

I have three clues for you:

1. It's a Canadian word

2. Its English translation is a dirty word that should not be posted on this board.

3. Sage has heard the word but has no idea of its meaning or location.

You figure out the rest.

I have three clues for you:

1. It's a Canadian word

2. Its English translation is a dirty word that should not be posted on this board.

3. Sage has heard the word but has no idea of its meaning or location.

You figure out the rest.

In Texas they call it: Puuswaa!

Teasing a marsupial is not a good idea. EVER

Apes are not marsupials. Kangaroos, koalas, oppossum, etc. - those are marsupials.

Say, that reminds me of a story - plenzmd1, you can tell this to Ambassador Wilson to 'break the ice'...

This koala bear goes to see a prostitute and, after he finishes, he starts to leave without paying.

The lady says, "Excuse me, Mr. Koala, you forgot to pay me."

Koala feigns ignorance and says, "Huh? What do you mean?"

Lady repeats, "You forgot to pay me. I'm a prostitute."

Koala says, "I don't know what you mean."

Lady pulls out a dictionary and shows the koala bear the entry for prostitute -

pros·ti·tute (noun) - One who solicits payment for sex acts.

So the koala says, "Oh, well, I'm a marsupial."

Lady says, "What is that, and what does that have to do with anything?"

Koala grabs the dictionary and shows her the entry -

mar·su·pi·al (noun) - pouched mammal that eats bush and leaves.

Ask him, if he went camping and woke up with a used condom in his ass would he tell anyone?

You figure out the rest.

What'd you tell people?

Teasing a marsupial is not a good idea. EVER

PUNCH!

Since when was an ape a marsupial? Oh, in Canada... right... :thumbsup:

be nece. Beerball aint all dat edgicated.

Okay gents, kinda of a lamp here, but also seeing if anyone has suggetions.

So, long story, but several months ago I am at the main charity event for Cystic Fibrosis and bid on a dinner for 10 at the Canadian embassy in DC with the Canadian Ambassador, cooked by his personal chef. Lo and behold we win with a bid i thought had no chance, and the dinner is this evening.

Here is his bio

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/washi...id=3&menu=L

So, what am I going to talk to this guy about?? Prolly a Leafs fan, but i can't think he is going to want to talk hockey all night long. I am thinking of telling him to put to lobby to prtect the intersts of the CFL and not allow any NFL games during the CFL season etc, but he wil prolly be bored with sports in zero seconds flat. As one can tell from my zero posts on the PPP forum, not exactly a political wonk. Certainly I am no titan of indusrty, as is no one in my party of ten.

So while I am excited to be having a dinner party with a pretty big shot in DC, and excited about gpoing to the Embassy as it is a cool building, am somewhat nervous of making an ass out of myself here.

Any you all ever had any kind of experience like this or suggetions for discussion topics?

Duh! Everyone knows that Canada's national sport is water polo! You'll have plenty to talk about!

Seriously though, I think the ambassador to Canada has had enough social dinner's to know how to avoid awkward silences. I imagine the conversation will flow quite smoothly. Plus you said you'll have 10 people there? Sounds like it will be great fun!!

Sorry, I meant reptile. Never tease a reptile. EVER

(do you have a reptile story?)

OK, BeerSphere - so here's one that Ambassador Wilson will love and, you can tell the whole family...

This guy had a snake that was very thin, and very sick.

So he takes it to the vet, the vet takes a quick look and says, "Sorry, your snake is very sick and is going to die. That will be $50."

Guy says, "I get charged $50, and that's it? Is that all you're gonna do for my snake?"

So the vet takes the snake over to a floppy-eared rabbit, and the rabbit points his ears straight up to the ceiling. He takes it to a Black Labrador Retriever, and the dog sticks out his tongue and shakes his head. He takes it to a cat, the cat opens her eyes very wide and then shakes her head violently.

Vet says, "There. Happy? That will be another $350."

Guy says, "WTF???? $350??? WTF for????"

Vet says, "$50 for the second opinion, $75 the for Lab tests, and $225 for the CAT scan."

After Ambassador Wilson stops laughing hysterically, plenzmd1, ask him if he thinks the Bills should take a chance on...

Vaughn Martin

After Ambassador Wilson stops laughing hysterically, plenzmd1, ask him if he thinks the Bills should take a chance on...

Laugh? He's Canadian. He wouldn't see it as a joke about health care, he'd see it as a potential upgrade to the system.

I wonder if Plenz's concussion has healed after probably doing this:

:wallbash::P:wallbash:

all night during his "conversation".

Laugh? He's Canadian. He wouldn't see it as a joke about health care, he'd see it as a potential upgrade to the system.

I wonder if Plenz's concussion has healed after probably doing this:

;):lol::wallbash:

all night during his "conversation".

Ahh, wanted to give you all an update. We started with cocktails on the terrace of the Canadian Embassy, gorgeous night, best views I have ever had of the Capital. Mr Wilson, his wife, and three government Ministers were our hosts. All extremely gracious and very easy to talk to . Think the fact my mom was born in Ottawa, have plenty of family throughout Canada, gave us plenty to discuss. BTW, they were serving Sleemans for beers, asked about getting a Extra Stock or Brodoor(sp), and they said they sold them in their store downsatirs but that was closed foor the evening.PX type of thing

Dinner was outstanding, wine flowed freely, and amazingly talked quite a bit about the state of the Bills and Toronto. They were all surprised to hear how very real I felt that Toronto was going to take the Bills. Their sentiment, including the Ambassador, was that the Canadian government would protect the CFL as a "culture" type thing, and we should not be so worried.

After dinner back to the terrace for cocktails and cigars(not for me, as nicotene and me do not mix well anymore). All in all, they were either the best actors in the world, or I think they enjoyed the evening as much as we did. We talked after, and maybe it was a nice respite for them not having talk about global warming or trade policy etc that could dominate the conversation, but talk about the best public golf course in DC metro, who was gunna win the Cup, the great bars in Buffalo, etc might have been nice for these folks.

Wish I had some great funny stories, but all i can say was just a wonderful evening that we all greatly enjoyed. Our hosts were very warm,gracious, and inviting. You could tell the CF foundation was very near and dear to Ambassador Wilsons heart, and while this was a very pricey dinner, it was prolly a once in a lifetime event for a schmo like me. Great that both CF and us benefit!!

Ahh, wanted to give you all an update. We started with cocktails on the terrace of the Canadian Embassy, gorgeous night, best views I have ever had of the Capital. Mr Wilson, his wife, and three government Ministers were our hosts. All extremely gracious and very easy to talk to . Think the fact my mom was born in Ottawa, have plenty of family throughout Canada, gave us plenty to discuss. BTW, they were serving Sleemans for beers, asked about getting a Extra Stock or Brodoor(sp), and they said they sold them in their store downsatirs but that was closed foor the evening.PX type of thing

Dinner was outstanding, wine flowed freely, and amazingly talked quite a bit about the state of the Bills and Toronto. They were all surprised to hear how very real I felt that Toronto was going to take the Bills. Their sentiment, including the Ambassador, was that the Canadian government would protect the CFL as a "culture" type thing, and we should not be so worried.

After dinner back to the terrace for cocktails and cigars(not for me, as nicotene and me do not mix well anymore). All in all, they were either the best actors in the world, or I think they enjoyed the evening as much as we did. We talked after, and maybe it was a nice respite for them not having talk about global warming or trade policy etc that could dominate the conversation, but talk about the best public golf course in DC metro, who was gunna win the Cup, the great bars in Buffalo, etc might have been nice for these folks.

Wish I had some great funny stories, but all i can say was just a wonderful evening that we all greatly enjoyed. Our hosts were very warm,gracious, and inviting. You could tell the CF foundation was very near and dear to Ambassador Wilsons heart, and while this was a very pricey dinner, it was prolly a once in a lifetime event for a schmo like me. Great that both CF and us benefit!!

Thanks for the update and the bolded part is something I've been saying since the deal went through, but the Chicken Littles here don't want to believe that.

:thumbsup: sounds like a wonderful evening!

... but talk about the best public golf course in DC metro, who was gunna win the Cup, the great bars in Buffalo, etc might have been nice for these folks.

So what did everyone decide upon as the best public course in DC area? I have to go with Whiskey Creek or PB Dye.