Why demanding the 21st pick, instead of 28

Our 2 biggest glaring needs are at OT and DE. I don't think we should reach for an offensive tackle at 11, especially if the top tier is gone. In addition, there are a lot of articles stating that this tackle group isn't all that great to begin with. I still think we need to go DE with 11. Either Brown, Orakpo, Ayers or Maybin. The problem with the 28, is that I think the Bills truly are alright with Walker at LT. I'm not sure if this is a smokescreen or not, but I seem to believe it. A great blocking TE would help the LT and RT and Pettigrew fits the Bill. All the mock drafts I have seen, unless they have us picking him, has him going to Philly with the 21 or Atlanta at 24. We should have DEMANDED the 21st pick. Getting a top flight DE and then getting the best TE in the draft would have been great. We could then use our 2nd round pick on a guy like Unger or Wood, and a 3rd on McKenzie or another backer. I just think the 21st pick would have worked out so well to our advantage, and we have too many needs to trade up to get Pettigrew if we don't take him at 11

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Our 2 biggest glaring needs are at OT and DE. I don't think we should reach for an offensive tackle at 11, especially if the top tier is gone. In addition, there are a lot of articles stating that this tackle group isn't all that great to begin with. I still think we need to go DE with 11. Either Brown, Orakpo, Ayers or Maybin. The problem with the 28, is that I think the Bills truly are alright with Walker at LT. I'm not sure if this is a smokescreen or not, but I seem to believe it. A great blocking TE would help the LT and RT and Pettigrew fits the Bill. All the mock drafts I have seen, unless they have us picking him, has him going to Philly with the 21 or Atlanta at 24. We should have DEMANDED the 21st pick. Getting a top flight DE and then getting the best TE in the draft would have been great. We could then use our 2nd round pick on a guy like Unger or Wood, and a 3rd on McKenzie or another backer. I just think the 21st pick would have worked out so well to our advantage, and we have too many needs to trade up to get Pettigrew if we don't take him at 11

I can't agree with you more....the Peters trade concludes an embarrasing debacle.

Maybe Philly know what "damage" we could do with the 21st pick....because Philly also likes Pettigrew. The could take him with the 21st pick. Before Atlanta some picks later could / would pick him. And Buffalo....we are looking and wondering ;-)

But i think the Front Office did want the 21st..... But Philly said: 28st, a 4th and 2010 6th...... take it..or leave it.....

Maybe Philly know what "damage" we could do with the 21st pick....because Philly also likes Pettigrew. The could take him with the 21st pick. Before Atlanta some picks later could / would pick him. And Buffalo....we are looking and wondering ;-)

But i think the Front Office did want the 21st..... But Philly said: 28st, a 4th and 2010 6th...... take it..or leave it.....

Apparently Philly also said 1st and a 3rd and we said, "nope, we'll take a fourth and how about throw in a 6th next year" :thumbsup:

Pettigrew will be drafted @ 11. Not only is he the best TE in this draft, everything I have read indicates that he is the best TE "prospect" to come out in the last several years. That's not the type of player you pass up.

I would love to get Pettigrew, but would you rather a top DE and a somewhat lesser TE like Nelson, Ingram, Beckam, Casey. Or would you rather Pettigrew and then a much lesser DE like Barwin or Johnson?

I thought demanding the 28th pick made the most sense. :thumbsup:

Pettigrew will be drafted @ 11. Not only is he the best TE in this draft, everything I have read indicates that he is the best TE "prospect" to come out in the last several years. That's not the type of player you pass up.

Even if OT Smith + OT Oher are on the Board ? But its possible we take him with 11th.... a lttle revenger to philly because they also like him ;-)

But i think OL or DE is more important for us. Lets take a TE with our 2nd...

I think that in addition to demanding, Brandon should have stomped his feet and if that didn't work, throw himself on the floor and start spinning around. I think that would have moved Eagles to give up the 21st pick.

I think that in addition to demanding, Brandon should have stomped his feet and if that didn't work, throw himself on the floor and start spinning around. I think that would have moved Eagles to give up the 21st pick.

Maybe I should have named the post, why this trade sucks and why the 28th pick sucks

Not to be disrespectful, but name one TE drafted in the top 15 this decade that's been worth the pick. Here's the list:

2000 - Bubba Franks @ 14

2002 - Jeremy Shockey @ 14

2004 - Kellen Winslow @ 6

2006 - Vernon Davis @ 6

Now contrast that with TEs taken in the first round, outside the top 20 picks this decade:

2001 - Todd Heap @ 31

2002 - Daniel Graham @ 21

2003 - Dallas Clark @ 24

2004 - Ben Watson @ 32

2005 - Heath Miller @ 30

2006 - Marcedes Lewis @ 28

2007 - Greg Olsen @ 31

2008 - Dustin Keller @ 30

To me, it's glaring that the value just isn't there in the top half of the first round. Based on draft history, team need, player value, and projections (where Pettigrew is expected to last into the 20's), it makes way more sense to pass on him. Take him at 28 if he's there, and if not, go with either a guy like Shawn Nelson at 42 or Chase Coffman/James Casey in the 3rd.

Just my 1 cent.

I would love to get Pettigrew, but would you rather a top DE and a somewhat lesser TE like Nelson, Ingram, Beckam, Casey. Or would you rather Pettigrew and then ahttp://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?act=Post&CODE=02&f=1&t=87610&qpid=1399169 much lesser DE like Barwin or Johnson?

They way I look at it is that the Bills have a lot of holes to fill - OT, OG, C, DE, OLB, TE, SS. That being said, I think that drafting Pettigrew @ 11 makes the most sense because he is the best player available at a position of need. The only other player from this list I could see them taking at 11 is Curry, but that is a pipedream at best.

I totally understand your point about the need for a pass rusher, but none of the DEs impress me enough to justify using the #11 on them.

That is a good point Bandit as usual.

But let me flip it around this way for you.

If you had drafted Jason Witten, Dallas Clark, Daniel Grahm or Heath Miller at #11 would you as a fan be kicking yourself that your team drafted one of them?

Not to be disrespectful, but name one TE drafted in the top 15 this decade that's been worth the pick. Here's the list:

2000 - Bubba Franks @ 14

2006 - Vernon Davis @ 6

Now contrast that with TEs taken in the first round, outside the top 20 picks this decade:

2001 - Todd Heap @ 31

2003 - Dallas Clark @ 24

2004 - Ben Watson @ 32

2005 - Heath Miller @ 30

2007 - Greg Olsen @ 31

To me, it's glaring that the value just isn't there in the top half of the first round. Based on draft history, team need, player value, and projections (where Pettigrew is expected to last into the 20's), it makes way more sense to pass on him. Take him at 28 if he's there, and if not, go with either a guy like Shawn Nelson at 42 or Chase Coffman/James Casey in the 3rd.

Just my 1 cent.

Perfekt. The "late 1st Rounders" are a quality group. I would also go first to the OL und DL. We can take a TE in the 3rd. And Coffmann / Casey would also be not a bad choice.

Worked for Peters.

PTR

That is a good point Bandit as usual.

But let me flip it around this way for you.

If you had drafted Jason Witten, Dallas Clark, Daniel Grahm or Heath Miller at #11 would you as a fan be kicking yourself that your team drafted one of them?

Ah yes, chicken or the egg...good question Magox.

I certainly wouldn't be upset with one of those players, I guess I just feel like the real value at TE comes between picks 21 and 40. I mean, look at the last 2 drafts:

- In 2007, Oakland grabs Zach Miller at 38. Excellent choice, had a breakout season in '08.

- In 2008, Seattle grabs John Carlson at 38. Another great move, had a terrific rookie season.

Now I suppose that, if Pettigrew really does become a stalwart TE, he could potentially be viewed as being worth a top 15 pick. I just feel that--if you're a team with a pick at No. 28--there's no need to take the chance on him at 11 when history shows you can do just as well (and even better) waiting until either 28 or 42.

I know it's over the "decade" requirement... but Tony Gonzalez worked out pretty well in 1997.

I think you left out some other first round TEs taken outside of the top 15 picks in the first round.

2000 - Anthony Becht @ 27

2002 - Jeremy Stevens @ 28

2000 - Bubba Franks @ 14

2006 - Vernon Davis @ 6

2001 - Todd Heap @ 31

2003 - Dallas Clark @ 24

2004 - Ben Watson @ 32

2005 - Heath Miller @ 30

2007 - Greg Olsen @ 31

Just my 1 cent.

I can't agree with you more....the Peters trade concludes an embarrasing debacle.

werd...I'm glad he's gone

but we should have gotten the 21st pick.....unless we don't want him.....OR PLAN ON TAKING HIM AT 11