Why demanding the 21st pick, instead of 28

If by all acounts Brandon Pettigrew is the most complete player at TE to come out in the draft in the last 5 years. Buffalo would be foolish to pass up on him. Even at 11, with Trents pention to check down ala west coast style. Brandon Pettigrew will do nothing but help that team get first downs next year. I hope they do not miss this opportunity and he is called when Buffalo picks at 11. I agree a pass rush needs to be found. I just do not think it should be found at 11. In fact the only defensive player I would consider at 11 would be Raji.

I'm starting to feel the same way.

My board would look as follows:

1. Curry

2. Jason Smith

3. Monroe

4. Raji

5. Pettigrew

Andre Smith and the slew of DE's/DE-OLB hybrid's scare the sh-- out of me. Granted, I'm sure one or two of those guys (Orakpo, Ayers, Brown, Maybin, Jackson) will become studs, I think the Bills really need a sure thing.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anyone who would realistically want to trade up into our #11 spot so we could drop a bit and still get Pettigrew? I don't think so. Sanchez will be gone, I don't think anyone else is worth the price to trade up for.

I think we pick a DE at #11. I have no idea what they are going to do with #28 but is it possible they are thinking of packaging our #28 with a third and fourth to move up into the high teens? I'm not a big fan of moving up in the first but I think that's the only way we get Pettigrew if we don't take him at #11

RTB

I think that in addition to demanding, Brandon should have stomped his feet and if that didn't work, throw himself on the floor and start spinning around. I think that would have moved Eagles to give up the 21st pick.

ROTFLMAFO!!! :huh:

I love this continued criticism of the front office that they screwed up because they somehow didn't think it made more sense to require the 21st rather than 28. Wow, I could have had a 21! :flirt:

Why is it so hard to get the fact that we basically had the Eagles willing to pay a first plus and his contract demands, and that's it. All this rumination that there were other teams who were interested is crap. Obviously if there was anyone else, their level of interest was not enough. So who was Philly negotiating against? Themselves! The only leverage we had was that we would somehow be willing to live with this butthead for another season of holdouts and crappy play, only to further reduce his value to anyone else in the league, for seven positions in the draft.

It seems to me that Philly had approached the Bills early on and probably didn't even offer a first rounder. Probably why the Bills wouldn't go for it. When no other team was willing to cough up the required first plus, along come the Eagles back and willing to cough up the first round pick plus days before the draft. And the Bills are supposed to play hardball for a 21 rather than a 28?

If there was anyone else out there willing to do more, do you really think the Bills would have simply grabbed this deal without trying to get more? Moreover, there was no way to know how long the butthead was going to take to come to terms with the Eagles, a requirement for the deal to get done. And that deal needed to get done in advance of the draft. Who knew he was going to go to Philly and lap up a contract in a couple of days.

Given the general consensus that Peters was a naturally talented guy with a lot of question marks, I think the Bills did a great job of getting this done and getting rid of a real headache. If the Bills were a really good team, I would have loved to see them make him play out his contract. But this team needs too many holes filled to be dealing with a guy who thinks he should be the highest paid tackle in the league for a season and half of good play, and who was willing to do so to the detriment of the team.

read what Peter king says about lower 1st round picks. this is why it was smart for us to do it, and it follows with the patriots in that regard as well.

"I think it's hard not to love the Patriots being positioned the way they are -- at overall slots 23, 34, 47 and 58 -- on day one. Increasingly over the years, the value of low first-round picks, and all the picks in the second round, has grown. Someday I've got to study the true impact of the second round versus the first, because as Chicago GM Jerry Angelo told me recently, the value of first-rounders has decreased in his eyes because you can't tell how players will change when they get a boatload of money at age 21 or 22."

RP, the argument you quote above is irrelevant. King is not talking about the difference in value between the 21st pick and the 28th pick. He is talking about the difference in value between high first round picks and mid to late first round picks. Because the financial cost for higher first round picks is high, the value is lower. For instance:

1. Jake Long, Miami Dolphins - 5 years, $57.5 million ($30 million guaranteed)

2. Chris Long, St. Louis Rams - 6 years, $56.5 million ($29 million guaranteed)

10. Jerod Mayo, New England Patriots - 5 years, $18.9 million ($13.8 million guaranteed)

11. Leodis McKelvin, Buffalo Bills - 5 years, $19.4 million ($12.6 million guaranteed)

That's a huge difference in money. Now look at the difference in cost between #21 and #28 last year:

21. Sam Baker, Atlanta Falcons - 5 years, $13.5 million ($7.8 million guaranteed)

28. Lawrence Jackson, Seattle Seahawks - 5 years, $11.25 million ($6.1 million guaranteed)

The difference in money between 21 and 28 is negligible. The value in mid to late first rounders is because they are so much cheaper to sign than the top 7-8 picks. I believe that is what King is saying.

Isn't "value" a silly concept? In the end a player has to contribute. It doesn't matter where he was drafted. "Can he play?" is all that should matter.

PTR

Well if I have to explain it to you, you'll never...you're kidding right?

Thank you. Do people seriously think they preferred the #28 pick to the #21, still having $10M+ in cap room?

Agreed. We will never know if they could have gotten Philly's 21st pick or not. But it is ridiculous to think that they didn't try or that they preferred the lower pick IMO. All things being equal, you have a better chance of having a top player slide to you at #21 than at #28. As I've posted several times since the Peters trade, it'll be interesting to see who comes off the board between 21 and 28. There are six teams drafting between those two spots. Miami is one of them. New England is another.