Bills are bottoming out

Whooooa, slow down man. To be safe, why don't we wait until after the season is over and we've had a few months to reflect. I mean, where were we last season at the bye week and how did that season end up? You shouldn't rush to judgement.

I am not as positive & upbeat about the team as C Biscuit is but if you can not get excited about the team 2 days before the draft with us having 2 first round picks I really have to question why you eve follow the Bills.

You say they are bottoming out but if you look at last season, I mean really look at how they lost most of these games I could pin it on one thing, the play of the quarterback. This team with even average qb play wins minimum of 11 games last year & probably 12 games. The qb play of the bills last year was not only bad in te 2nd half, it was a downright game changer. I will go over.

1st game against Miami, Bills are 5-1 at this point & have a 9 point lead in the 3rd quarter. They let Miami back in it & Edwards throws bad int after int with the game still in balance. he fumbles on a qb sneak. Against Jacksonville 2 years ago I was very critical of Losman fumbling on that same exact play, stating at the time I have never seen that before.

NYJ 1st game - 5-2 at this point. We are going down to take a 10-0 lead when Edwards throws a pick 6, similar to the one he threw at dallas. If that play does not happen, I guaranty we win that game

Cleveland game - I think we could all agree that i edwards even has a slightly below average game we win this game by at least 10pts. It was one of the worst qbing performances i have ever seen & that is saying something considering I have watched Losman for te last 5yrs.

SF game - SF could not do anything on offense. Edwards & Losman were even worse.

The 2nd jets game - No need to rehash this one. Losman slides for a yard or 2 like he should of the bills run out the clock & win the game.

I will even throw in the 2nd Miami game. Losman once again was horrible. He had Evans open down the left seem for an easy toucdown & overthrows him by 20yrd. I never thought an NFL qb could be as inaccurate as Losman was. My guess is that is probably why he will be out of the league this year.

Tht is 6 games right. Win even 5 of them & yor 12-4 & you win the division. I have been criticized before stating how important the qb position. In the NFL, everything feeds off the qb position. I liken it to an ace pitcher in baseball & a super hot goalie in hockey. The qb position is that important. A good qb will make an average team good & a good team great. A bad qb will make a good team average & a average team bad. Wit that being said, I think Edwards has a chance. I love his quick release, his mind for the game & contrary to what anybody says, he has a good enough arm to make all the throws. He has to take his game up about three notches from last years play & if he does that the Bills will win their fair share of games & be competing for a playoff spot.

I said last year that if Edwards plays good they will make the playoffs. He played well for the first 5 games he played in. They were 5-0 in those games. I will stand by that statement once again. Alot of this is on Edwards shoulders. If he plays like he did the first 5 games he played in(not including the Arizona game) the Bills will be tough to beat. If he plays like he did the 2nd half of the season, the bills will not win more then 7 games again(probably less) & the we will once again be looking for a qb next year.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're points are paper thin and certainly not deep. The things you mentioned as being successes are nice, but won't get the team into the playoffs. At least they didn't last year when the Bills had the second best schedule in the league.

As many have said on this board, you can be a Bills fan and criticize. We see failure (not making the playoffs) and will say something. I know you're a casual fan and wins and losses don't matter as much. Consider that there are different levels of fandom. And some fans just plain know more than others.

The HC is not close to good. The front office lacks a a leader versed in personnel. My second signature says what I feel.

Dude, you're an idiot. You don't the first thing about me to say something. Sorry, I don't spend the offseason whining on a Bills board saying the same negative things over and over again (Whitner was a bad pick, Jauron sucks, Ralph is cheap). So you definition of a real fan is complaining? Great point. Trust me, no one takes Bills' losses harder than me. But you complain the most, so you are the better fan. :lol:

I am not as positive & upbeat about the team as C Biscuit is but if you can not get excited about the team 2 days before the draft with us having 2 first round picks I really have to question why you eve follow the Bills. You say they are bottoming out but if you look at last season, I mean really look at how they lost most of these games I could pin it on one thing, the play of the quarterback. This team with even average qb play wins minimum of 11 games last year & probably 12 games. The qb play of the bills last year was not only bad in te 2nd half, it was a downright game changer. I will go over.

1st game against Miami, Bills are 5-1 at this point & have a 9 point lead in the 3rd quarter. They let Miami back in it & Edwards throws bad int after int with the game still in balance. he fumbles on a qb sneak. Against Jacksonville 2 years ago I was very critical of Losman fumbling on that same exact play, stating at the time I have never seen that before.

NYJ 1st game - 5-2 at this point. We are going down to take a 10-0 lead when Edwards throws a pick 6, similar to the one he threw at dallas. If that play does not happen, I guaranty we win that game

Cleveland game - I think we could all agree that i edwards even has a slightly below average game we win this game by at least 10pts. It was one of the worst qbing performances i have ever seen & that is saying something considering I have watched Losman for te last 5yrs.

SF game - SF could not do anything on offense. Edwards & Losman were even worse.

The 2nd jets game - No need to rehash this one. Losman slides for a yard or 2 like he should of the bills run out the clock & win the game.

I will even throw in the 2nd Miami game. Losman once again was horrible. He had Evans open down the left seem for an easy toucdown & overthrows him by 20yrd. I never thought an NFL qb could be as inaccurate as Losman was. My guess is that is probably why he will be out of the league this year.

Tht is 6 games right. Win even 5 of them & yor 12-4 & you win the division. I have been criticized before stating how important the qb position. In the NFL, everything feeds off the qb position. I liken it to an ace pitcher in baseball & a super hot goalie in hockey. The qb position is that important. A good qb will make an average team good & a good team great. A bad qb will make a good team average & a average team bad. Wit that being said, I think Edwards has a chance. I love his quick release, his mind for the game & contrary to what anybody says, he has a good enough arm to make all the throws. He has to take his game up about three notches from last years play & if he does that the Bills will win their fair share of games & be competing for a playoff spot.

I said last year that if Edwards plays good they will make the playoffs. He played well for the first 5 games he played in. They were 5-0 in those games. I will stand by that statement once again. Alot of this is on Edwards shoulders. If he plays like he did the first 5 games he played in(not including the Arizona game) the Bills will be tough to beat. If he plays like he did the 2nd half of the season, the bills will not win more then 7 games again(probably less) & the we will once again be looking for a qb next year.

Thank you. I understand there are moves that should be questioned and not everyone will have the same opinion. But some posters go out of their way to just try and kill other poster's positivity. On a bills board in the offseason and right before the draft, what is the purpose of that. IMO, it serves absolutely none except to be a richard head.

Thank you. I understand there are moves that should be questioned and not everyone will have the same opinion. But some posters go out of their way to just try and kill other poster's positivity. On a bills board in the offseason and right before the draft, what is the purpose of that. IMO, it serves absolutely none except to be a richard head.

If you knew Badol you would say otherwise. He is a long term season ticket holder, and a college football freak. When guys like Badol and R.Rich sit down and watch the draft on Saturday, they actually have watched film on a very large portion of the players. How many of us can honestly make that claim?

In the OP, he didn't just scream "The Bills Suck" and run away. He went over the very big problems one at a time, and they are real. The fanchise that we love and support in managed and coached by incompetents, and this brought abou the problems he listed, and some that he did not.

The above said, all of us are going to watch the draft and hope for the best. We will wear our gear, attend games, etc. My hopes are as high as anyone on this board. We all want the same thing. My expectations are another story.

Honestly, what's the point? I and a lot of other posters have posted a ton of good things about the team that people like yourself just like to shoot down because it doesn't fit your agenda. But for the last time here are a few more to shoot down:

- #1 STs unit

- a defense that improved 17 spots in one season (31st to 14th) with the 4th worst pass rush. improve that, possibly top 10 defense

- While they probably won't be as talented, the o-line will have younger, hungrier players. And they will be hard pressed to give up the 20 sacks the left side gave up last year

- There is a HOF receiver who just caught 10 tds in a "down" year to draw away coverage from one of the best deep threats in football. Reed will be correctly shifted back into his #3 spot, where he is one of the best. Johnson showed a lot of progress and anything we can get from the 6'6" Hardy is icing on the cake.

- Is there a deeper running back core in the NFL than Lynch, Jackson, and Rhodes? I think not.

- McKelvin is a playmaker and will be an upgrade over Greer (who was a good player in his own right but doesn't have the physical talent of McKelvin). Florence is a former starter on a AFC championship team and will now be a nickel back on ours.

- Poz will be entering his 2nd full season and showed a ton of improvement in what was essentially his rookie season.

- For as much grief as Turk gets, in his first full season as Oc, he directed an offense that scored 47 points (I believe there was only 1 td against KC); saw Trent set a franchise record for completion % in a game; put up 150 rushing yards + against really good run ds in NYJ and Pats.

Again, I apologize for my positivity. I will go back to my room. :lol:

Good glass-half-full post. I do think the defense is ready to take the next step provided they get a good DE and LB in the draft that can contribute consistently by early-mid season. I'll add that one of the reasons they finished 14th overall despite the lack of pressure is because the secondary plays disciplined ball (Donte Whitner in particular). Jauron has a load of flaws as a head coach, but does seem to know how to coach a secondary.

If you knew Badol you would say otherwise. He is a long term season ticket holder, and a college football freak. When guys like Badol and R.Rich sit down and watch the draft on Saturday, they actually have watched film on a very large portion of the players. How many of us can honestly make that claim?

In the OP, he didn't just scream "The Bills Suck" and run away. He went over the very big problems one at a time, and they are real. The fanchise that we love and support in managed and coached by incompetents, and this brought abou the problems he listed, and some that he did not.

The above said, all of us are going to watch the draft and hope for the best. We will wear our gear, attend games, etc. My hopes are as high as anyone on this board. We all want the same thing. My expectations are another story.

The problem with Baldo's post is that he over emphasizes all our problems.

He says that we have the worst line in the league. I suggest he stops watching so much college football & perhaps buys the NFL ticket. I am pretty confident in saying we are not even close to the worst line in the league & that is even without knowing our left side yet.

2nd he says TO is not going to make a difference/downside of his career(paraphrasing). I really have to question his knowledge on this. TO has caught 33 td passes the last 3 years, 10 last year I believe. The guy he is replacing has caught 3 td passes in that same time frame. How can this not be an upgrade?

I am not crazy about Jauron either, but to say he is the worst coach in the league is just nonsense. Like it or not, the guy is respected throughout the league. Once again he is exaggerating.

First of all, they are guided by the lame duck Dick Jauron, arguably the worst long tenured head coach in the Super Bowl era. This alone would be cause for concern because everyone knows that he can't continue to do what he has been doing and keep his job. Unfortunately for him and us, he has been doing his best and it isn't even close to enough. Expect Jauron to try to be more aggressive and for the results to be worse because he isn't capable of coaching that brand of football.

Second, they have a fragile, physically limited starting QB, a very bad backup situation and nobody in development. Edwards will be hurt early in the season.

He will be hurt early because he has arguably the worst OL in the NFL in front of him. Seriously, look around the league and find a worse collection of OL. When Langston Walker is your best OL you have a serious concern.

The 4 best DL are all well on the backsides of their careers. Stroud, Schobel, Kelsay and Denney.....this unit was poor last year and is really poised for a big fallout. They all really are at the point in their careers where they should be backups or at best in a rotation with players of comparable or better talent. There is not a lot in the cupboard behind these guys either.

TO. I saw Dave McBride here talking about Owens as the best player on this team. That's not saying much, but even so, he's not. He's very old for a wr and has had declining production. I fully expect him to be nicked up in or before camp and nagged by injuries like you would expect from a player who is that old. Perhaps the key point though is that his hands are failing him. Anyone who remembers James Lofton as a Bill should remember that when the Bills let Lofton go he could still do everything he always could.......except catch the football consistently. The hands go first and TO lead the NFL in dropped passes last year.

The linebacker position is very slow and unathletic. Mitchell makes big plays, but he's not a very good all around player. Poz is a the opposite, he's solid but makes no plays. Who even knows who the other starter will be, but chances are it's not going to be a game changer and the backups are little more than special teamers.

The back of the secondary. There is no capable free safety on this roster. Unless you count Whitner as a free safety......which is a position he is worse suited for than SS.......holyshitt what a mess is brewing back there.

Perhaps the biggest sign of an implosion is the radical moves being made by and attributed to Russ Brandon. There appears to be an effort to add by subtraction as if the reason the organization has failed to win is because of a few guys who just aren't buying into the wonderful system in place. This situation is very reminiscent of what the Lions did last offseason.

I know a lot of you are counting on the draft and the June 1st releases to bolster this roster. Unfortunately the draft never supplies the kind of immediate help that a roster like this needs to get better now. Even the top picks will not lead this team. Not that this will keep the Bills from drafting for need instead of taking the best available player......that's what they do and it's the main reason they are so lacking in difference makers. Also, there won't be any June 1st cuts. I just mentioned this because for some reason people don't realize that June 1st ceased to be a key date about a decade ago and isn't even relevant at all since the last cba.

Lastly, a tough schedule in a tough division filled with teams run by instinctive, successful career football men.

I'd love to be wrong about this, but a year from now people will be wondering how any of us could have thought this team could be anything more than horrible. If Edwards goes down, and he will, this team is headed for 2-4 wins. The days of the team winning a handful of games by playing ultra conservative Jauron ball and taking advantage of young teams who are trying to get better are gone.

the only thing gone is your brain. however I'm quite impressed of your high opinion of yourself and your vast knowledge of the NFL game and the Bills even though you are wrong on 90 % of your statements.

the only thing you said that was correct was you assessment of our horrible O/line.

your opinion of the bills drafting for need is asinine besides being incorrect. want an example how about the year they drafted your whipping boy whitner. our greatest need was d/line yet they stayed true to their board and took the BAP on their board who was whitner and Mayock said so himself calling the pick before the draft..

You're points are paper thin and certainly not deep. The things you mentioned as being successes are nice, but won't get the team into the playoffs. At least they didn't last year when the Bills had the second best schedule in the league.

As many have said on this board, you can be a Bills fan and criticize. We see failure (not making the playoffs) and will say something. I know you're a casual fan and wins and losses don't matter as much. Consider that there are different levels of fandom. And some fans just plain know more than others.

The HC is not close to good. The front office lacks a a leader versed in personnel. My second signature says what I feel.

And many of Badol's points are just as "paper thin." He's taking a glass half-empty approach to the extreme. Like the "stroud and Schobel are only rotational players." That point is laughable at best. Stroud would start on most of the teams in the league and was an extremely good defender last season.

Sure this team has problems, but there are also bright points that we have to look at going forward. Sure, with this coaching staff, we may not win more than 5 games next year. But to ignore the good things this team does have is just as foolish as ignoring the bad things, and amounts to nothing more than whining.

And your little comment on "some fans know more than others," makes you simply look like an ass. Being negative all the time hardly means you are more "intelligent" or "realistic" than any other fan. I challenge you or badol to actually demonstrate this claimed "intelligence" and make a post breaking down the good and the bad of the 2009 bills, instead of just claiming how everything sucks. I know that's asking a lot of you to break your MO, but go ahead, give it a try.

Like I said before, I know everyone here is a die-hard fan and I respect that. But my problem with the OP's post is that he says everything like it is fact. Because as I showed in another post, there are alot of positives about the team if you want to find them as well. I think some posters, however, chose not to look at those.

All I know is that I'm excited for this weekend (and it's going to be beautiful out on top of things) and I don't understand why people want to work some hard to kill other fans' excitement. I think the OP has a good knowledge of the game but has been completely jilted (which good reason) by the past decade of failure. But the beautiful part of this game is that a 1-15 Fins and 3-13 Falcons just made the playoffs, both starting rookie LTs. Every year is a chance. Enjoy the draft and I look forward to your head exploding when we draft Malcolm Jenkins and Vontae Davis with our first 2 picks (I kid, i kid). :thumbsup:

The problem with Baldo's post is that he over emphasizes all our problems.

He says that we have the worst line in the league. I suggest he stops watching so much college football & perhaps buys the NFL ticket. I am pretty confident in saying we are not even close to the worst line in the league & that is even without knowing our left side yet.

2nd he says TO is not going to make a difference/downside of his career(paraphrasing). I really have to question his knowledge on this. TO has caught 33 td passes the last 3 years, 10 last year I believe. The guy he is replacing has caught 3 td passes in that same time frame. How can this not be an upgrade?

I am not crazy about Jauron either, but to say he is the worst coach in the league is just nonsense. Like it or not, the guy is respected throughout the league. Once again he is exaggerating.

Well said.

Dude, you're an idiot. You don't the first thing about me to say something. Sorry, I don't spend the offseason whining on a Bills board saying the same negative things over and over again (Whitner was a bad pick, Jauron sucks, Ralph is cheap). So you definition of a real fan is complaining? Great point. Trust me, no one takes Bills' losses harder than me. But you complain the most, so you are the better fan. :thumbsup:

Resorting to personal insults is the indication you've got an issue. I won't do that here.

Be honest, some people are better at seeing things before they happen. I'm referring to people like BADOL and other posters who know their stuff. Merely hoping and wishing without action (from the front office) is the result of people needing something to cling to. I refuse to believe in this team until I see something on the field.

During the late eighties to late nineties I didn't take a wait and see approach because the team was consistently good. The cap has changed this somewhat, but I reserve the right to complain when the franchise is staring a decade in a row at missing the playoffs. I would think most Bills fans have tired of rhetoric without action. And banking on the draft to provide instant starters is not a plan, nor should it be.

For the record, I have season tickets, and going to the game is a highlight. But when you've seen the heartbreaking losses and good old fashioned whoopings I have these past three seasons, it gets old. Watching those MNF losses in person is hard. Take it for what it is, but don't make it personal.

Honestly, what's the point?

The point is to construct a coherent, logical argument and debate the issue like an adult instead of throwing a public temper tantrum and trying to attach a black label to anyone and everyone that doesn't agree with you. Why have a constructive debate on the issues? So everyone can learn something.

Look C.Bisc, I don't put you on ignore because there have been many times that you raised excellent points on some issues. I don't agree with many of your conclusions and leaps, but that's OK. I enjoy the free exchange of ideas we have here. Everybody doesn't agree on everything; that's life.

And many of Badol's points are just as "paper thin." He's taking a glass half-empty approach to the extreme. Like the "stroud and Schobel are only rotational players." That point is laughable at best. Stroud would start on most of the teams in the league and was an extremely good defender last season.

Sure this team has problems, but there are also bright points that we have to look at going forward. Sure, with this coaching staff, we may not win more than 5 games next year. But to ignore the good things this team does have is just as foolish as ignoring the bad things, and amounts to nothing more than whining.

And your little comment on "some fans know more than others," makes you simply look like an ass. Being negative all the time hardly means you are more "intelligent" or "realistic" than any other fan. I challenge you or badol to actually demonstrate this claimed "intelligence" and make a post breaking down the good and the bad of the 2009 bills, instead of just claiming how everything sucks. I know that's asking a lot of you to break your MO, but go ahead, give it a try.

I'll take a shot at this:

Good:

TO - How can you not like popcorn?

Evans - More big plays hopefully with TO on other side

Fred Jackson - Nice to have our best back starting the first three games.

Leodis - big plays this year, methinks. Better enjoy him before his contract is up.

Bad:

Edwards - Injury prone, weak arm. Could be the deciding factor this season.

Lynch - Thug. Suspended three games. No vision.

Poz - This one kills me as a PSU homer, but slow and plays confused.

Whitner - Was just turning the corner on my opinion of this guy until his ridiculous prediction last year and incident this offseason

Ugly:

Jauron - Only a retard would appreciate this guy's gameday management.

Front office - Apparently, they're retarded.

Wilson - You get what you pay for. Cash to Cap.

Schedule - Expect a sweep by the Pats, splits with rest of division and a brutal out of division schedule.

All in all, the bad/ugly outweigh the good. 5-11 likely, 7-9 at best.

Again, the homeless guy who coached NE was 41-55 (43% winning %) before Brady. Dick Jauron's winning 43%. Additionally, Jeff Fisher has had 8 non-winning seasons out of 15. And Fisher, IMO, is the best head coach in football.

But we obviously know Jauron is the worst coach ever and would suck even if he had Tom Brady or Steve McNair. And the brilliant minds of Belichick & Fisher would have had the same exact success with the likes of Jim Miller, Cade McNown, and JP Losman. :thumbsup:

How could you possibly think that Fischer is better than Belichick?

your opinion of the bills drafting for need is asinine besides being incorrect. want an example how about the year they drafted your whipping boy whitner. our greatest need was d/line yet they stayed true to their board and took the BAP on their board who was whitner and Mayock said so himself calling the pick before the draft..

If you think Whitner was the best available player then you're an idiot.

Mayock never had Whitner going at 8 in his mock before the draft.

Only the Bills were dumb enough to take a small, non-impact safety at #8.

I'll take a shot at this:

Good:

TO - How can you not like popcorn?

Evans - More big plays hopefully with TO on other side

Fred Jackson - Nice to have our best back starting the first three games.

Leodis - big plays this year, methinks. Better enjoy him before his contract is up.

Bad:

Edwards - Injury prone, weak arm. Could be the deciding factor this season.

Lynch - Thug. Suspended three games. No vision.

Poz - This one kills me as a PSU homer, but slow and plays confused.

Whitner - Was just turning the corner on my opinion of this guy until his ridiculous prediction last year and incident this offseason

Ugly:

Jauron - Only a retard would appreciate this guy's gameday management.

Front office - Apparently, they're retarded.

Wilson - You get what you pay for. Cash to Cap.

Schedule - Expect a sweep by the Pats, splits with rest of division and a brutal out of division schedule.

All in all, the bad/ugly outweigh the good. 5-11 likely, 7-9 at best.

A good portion of your statements are comical, but Fred Jackson being our best back? That is way up there in ridiculous. With Dominic Rhodes now on the roster, Fred Jackson would be our 3rd best back. I like the guy, and he is an excellent backup, but in just one or two good games in his career, and how he is better than Lynch and Rhodes-Ha!

As far as Whitner, I am not pleased with his recent arrest, but holding last years prediction against him? Plain stupid. If we had a roster full of confident players like him, maybe we would have made the playoffs last year. His prediction wasn't the reason we didn't make the playoffs-Again! It was poor coaching, poor blocking, among many other things, but a simple preseason prediction sure didn't lose games for us.

As far as our schedule, you are quite optimistic. After losing every division game last year, splitting with everyone except the Pats would be more than we can expect.

If you think Whitner was the best available player then you're an idiot.

Mayock never had Whitner going at 8 in his mock before the draft.

Only the Bills were dumb enough to take a small, non-impact safety at #8.

Quick question: Who cares about this issue anymore?

Quick question: Who cares about this issue anymore?

An extremely strong case could be made that it was the 06 draft (not just Whitner) that left our lines in such squalid condition once again. Then, they walked right by Branden Albert to draft a #11 corner in 08, along with another one in the 4th.

We all know that any draft takes a few years to be properly evaluated. Now, the chickens of 06 are clearly home to roost.

Let's see what happens on Saturday. Maybe the Bills will decide to build solid lines, right?

An extremely strong case could be made that it was the 06 draft (not just Whitner) that left our lines in such squalid once again. Then, they walked right by Branden Albert to draft a #11 corner in 08, along with another in the 4th.

We all now that any draft takes a few years to be properly evaluated. Now, the chickens of 06 are clearly home to roost.

Let's see what happens on Saturday. Maybe the Bills will decide to build solid lines, right?

I just don't think it matters anymore. He's on the team, he's a pretty good player, and it's time to move forward and address other issues.

An extremely strong case could be made that it was the 06 draft (not just Whitner) that left our lines in such squalid condition once again. Then, they walked right by Branden Albert to draft a #11 corner in 08, along with another in the 4th.

We all now that any draft takes a few years to be properly evaluated. Now, the chickens of 06 are clearly home to roost.

Exactly. Everyone has said "Give it 3 years." Well guess what? Three years have passed and suddenly there's no point in discussing it! If the Bills pull another '06 draft on Sat, I will get very drunk. :thumbsup: