FOX Sports football robot

mdbruce3

Anybody else hate that stupid thing? :devil:

At every stinkin commercial break! Some dumb robot in some pre-game warm up! Its been going on for years. :blush:

I guess its the little things that get me.

Hate the robot, hate the sound effects they use on Fox and CBS. Call me a fuddy duddy.

But, innovations that add to viewing the game (eg. yellow first down line) and help break down a play (eg. variable playback with telestrator)...I dig that s#it.

I like the Robot. He came out early and entered the draft after his junior year. He shows good form and technique in his drills. Additional his verticle jump has measured (65 inched) of the chart. I would rate him him as a potential late fourth or early fifth round selctions.

I like the Robot. He came out entered the draft after his junior year. He shows good form and technique in his drills. Additional his verticle jump must measure of the chart. I would rate him him as a potential late fourth or early fifth round selctions.

So that means we reach for him at pick # 11, how is his motor anyway?

Screw the robot, it's the never ending commercials that piss me off.

Better than the alternative...which would be paid viewing. I'll take the commercials...it is the $$ that fuels the NFL.

I hate that :devil: robot, but not as much as their "glowing" hockey puck. :blush:

The "glowing" hockey puck is no where near as ANNOYING as the "light thing" over the football on replay shows. It's a FOOTBALL, that could be seen in BLACK & WHITE in the 50's on a TV with POOR reception.

Do they even have that anymore? I think the last time I saw that was in the 90's.

They ditched it many years ago.

I will give them a pass (sort of) on the puck, as they rarely miss badly on these technical improvements, IMO. I don't blame the company that perfected and pitched it (I want them thinking of cool s#it), but Fox Sports personnel should have known it wasn't very good when they tested it on real games.

A very good friend of mine, and The Senator's, works at one of the companies that does a lot of this stuff, Sportvision.

http://www.sportvision.com/

Very cool stuff.

They ditched it many years ago.

I will give them a pass (sort of) on the puck, as they rarely miss badly on these technical improvements, IMO. I don't blame the company that perfected and pitched it (I want them thinking of cool s#it), but Fox Sports personnel should have known it wasn't very good when they tested it on real games.

A very good friend of mine, and The Senator's, works at one of the companies that does a lot of this stuff, Sportvision.

http://www.sportvision.com/

Very cool stuff.

Yeah. At the time, my friends and family weren't that into watching hockey, so it helped them out come playoff time. They actually watched and could follow better and enjoyed it. For anyone who is a fan and watches regularly, it's extremely annoying. At least they're trying, though.

Anybody else hate that stupid thing? :(

At every stinkin commercial break! Some dumb robot in some pre-game warm up! Its been going on for years. :unsure:

I guess its the little things that get me.

This is going to be weird, but I didn't mind it so much when it jumped up and down, stretched its neck, and pointed to other imaginary robots across an imaginary line of scrimmage.

When it started looking like it was auditioning for the transformers sequel was when it started to annoy me.

I took my nephew down to Chautauqua Lake last summer to go fishing. Who do you think was at the boat livery renting a fishing boat at exactly the same time we were pulling up to the dock for bait? Yep it was the FOXSports Robot. I recognized him immediately but didn't want to approach him as I'm usually respectful of other people's privacy. But as we were walking by he asked if we'd had any luck fishing and we ended up talking for awhile. I found out that his family is from northwestern Pennsylvania and have had a place at Chautauqua for many years.

He was actually pretty cool talking about football with me and my nephew who is also a huge NFL fan. He also autographed my nephew's tackle box. It's easy to see someone on television and decide you don't like the guy for whatever reason (personally I'm not a big fan of robots) but it really puts things in a new perspective when you meet that person and they turn out to be really cool. Makes me think Promo's not such a jerk off after all. :(

SJBF

Man people get hostile for such ridiculous reasons. :unsure: Who gives a flying :(? All I care about is if the Bills are winning or if the Bills are losing. In the other games all I care about is how my fantasy guys are doing.

The announcers and the graphics have very little impact on the viewing pleasure for me.

Hate the robot, hate the sound effects they use on Fox and CBS. Call me a fuddy duddy.

But, innovations that add to viewing the game (eg. yellow first down line) and help break down a play (eg. variable playback with telestrator)...I dig that s#it.

I don't mind the simple yellow first down line, but I hate the CBS graphic that covers up half the screen, as if the entire field is painted. It doesn't "put me at the stadium", but only makes me more aware how much better the ambiance is when you are actually at the game. Still, though, I am glad to see the games.

Interestingly (or maybe not), I have gone through roughly 150 Bills games on video tape over the last three years or so, transferring them to DVD. I edit out the commercials (unless they are "classics" or involve athletes), and it is amazing how many more commercials there are now, as opposed to just 10 years ago. I know, it is a good trade, to be able to see the games, but, I can tell you, the value that color commentators can add to a broadcast are greatly diminished. This also causes there to be far fewer replays. Ten years ago, after a punt, the color guy would replay a key play from the last drive, and break it down. Now, those moments are filled with advertisements. The quality of the broadcasts has gone down quite a bit over the years.

My biggest pet peeve, however, is the non-stop graphics, unrelated to the game you are actually wathching, that litter the screen. There is a time clock/scoreboard scrollng through other scores in one top corner, while meaningless fantasy stats scroll along the bottom... if, like me, you watch at a bar, it is easy to not even realize what you are watching at times. Sometimes too much is just too much...

Man people get hostile for such ridiculous reasons. :unsure: Who gives a flying :(? All I care about is if the Bills are winning or if the Bills are losing. In the other games all I care about is how my fantasy guys are doing.

The announcers and the graphics have very little impact on the viewing pleasure for me.

You are just so level headed! :flirt:

I don't mind the simple yellow first down line, but I hate the CBS graphic that covers up half the screen, as if the entire field is painted. It doesn't "put me at the stadium", but only makes me more aware how much better the ambiance is when you are actually at the game. Still, though, I am glad to see the games.

Interestingly (or maybe not), I have gone through roughly 150 Bills games on video tape over the last three years or so, transferring them to DVD. I edit out the commercials (unless they are "classics" or involve athletes), and it is amazing how many more commercials there are now, as opposed to just 10 years ago. I know, it is a good trade, to be able to see the games, but, I can tell you, the value that color commentators can add to a broadcast are greatly diminished. This also causes there to be far fewer replays. Ten years ago, after a punt, the color guy would replay a key play from the last drive, and break it down. Now, those moments are filled with advertisements. The quality of the broadcasts has gone down quite a bit over the years.

My biggest pet peeve, however, is the non-stop graphics, unrelated to the game you are actually wathching, that litter the screen. There is a time clock/scoreboard scrollng through other scores in one top corner, while meaningless fantasy stats scroll along the bottom... if, like me, you watch at a bar, it is easy to not even realize what you are watching at times. Sometimes too much is just too much...

Most people watch at home, not a bar so the telecast will naturally be geared to them. As for the stats at the bottom, I have to disagree. I think they are fairly unobstrusive. Fantasy football is a fact of life and it will continue to grow every year. My prediction is that in 10 years primary NFL viewership will be fantasy based, rather than fan based. Fantasy football brings the non-fans into a given game. So those stats aren't going anywhere. As an avid FF guy myself, I like to have the stats there for me to look at if needed. I am usually so into the Bills game I don't notice, but its nice to have them there for reference as needed.

Most people watch at home, not a bar so the telecast will naturally be geared to them. As for the stats at the bottom, I have to disagree. I think they are fairly unobstrusive. Fantasy football is a fact of life and it will continue to grow every year. My prediction is that in 10 years primary NFL viewership will be fantasy based, rather than fan based. Fantasy football brings the non-fans into a given game. So those stats aren't going anywhere. As an avid FF guy myself, I like to have the stats there for me to look at if needed. I am usually so into the Bills game I don't notice, but its nice to have them there for reference as needed.

On the opposite side of all the TV graphics...

Anybody go to the SD game last year when there wasn't power for half the game? It was great in a way because it wasn't being broadcast and therefore no TV timeouts (ZZZZZZZ...). They just kept playing. The drawback was they couldn't post the down and yards to go on the scoreboard. We were always wondering how many yards they had to go. If they kept playing they obviously made the first down. Anyways, it was definetly a plus not having the TV timeouts. Consessions probably hated it because there was less time to sell beer.