A request: Please share your take on the Peters trade

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Peters of 2007 was the best player. But I have to wonder how much his injury at the end of that year and a questionable desire have robbed him of what looked like a HOF-worthy career.

HOF worthy?!? It's hard enough for o-linemen to get in, and two good seasons by the time you're 27 ain't a promising sign. If Mick Tingelhoff -- http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TingMi00.htm -- ain't in, I don't think Jason "I don't really speak to the press" Peters has much of a chance.

Sure... we're splitting hairs here... but I think that:

(a) an upper echelon tackle is always more valuable than an upper echelon receiver and

(b) Peters is young, TO is far from it.

To me, that gives Peters the edge. Now if you're looking purely from the lens of the 2009 season, maybe you're right. But the Bills just traded their most valuable asset for pennies on the dollar. This front office sucks, no matter how much Tim Graham panders to Bills fans... no mater how much "hope" they sell every offseason and no matter what unfounded guarantee Donte "bust" Whitner makes with his big mouth.

I really thought the front office was moving this team in the right direction with the TO acquisition, signing Drayton Florence, cutting Dockery, etc.. but this trade just flat out sucks.

I'm not quite sure the Cardinals - a team that starts both Mike Gandy and Larry Fitzgerald - would agree without you about LT/WR value. In general, I think you're right if you're talking about a very good, non-game changing receiver. In the case of the Bills, that means Evans and Reed (after Wolford left, guys like Reed weren't talented enough to cover for his absence). The otherworldly guys - TO, Fitzgerald, Moss, and Jerry Rice - can compensate for mediocre LT play. Heck, Michael Irvin helped make 12th round pick Mark Tuinei look great despite modest talent.

Btw, stop with the "Whitner is a bust" posts - it doesn't reflect well. Troy Williamson and Reggie Williams are busts; Whitner isn't.

Tim you should be used to it by now.

This board, for the most part will speak in support anything this inept front office does... including trading the team's best player. :devil:

Peters was the best lineman on the team, but not the best player.

HOF worthy?!? It's hard enough for o-linemen to get in, and two good seasons by the time you're 27 ain't a promising sign. If Mick Tingelhoff -- http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TingMi00.htm -- ain't in, I don't think Jason "I don't really speak to the press" Peters has much of a chance.

I meant to say that he was on his way to a HOF-type career. And then he got greedy and/or injured.

I meant to say that he was on his way to a HOF-type career. And then he got greedy and/or injured.

I disagree. Given the high bar for o-linemen when hit comes to the hall of fame, you've gotta be productive from very early on. Hitting your stride in year 3 before taking off in year 4 doesn't necessarily disqualify you, but it comes close. I'm not saying he's not a good player, mind you.

I know who Paul Peck is. Guess I just don't see the resemblance ...

I was in the Big Tree after a Bills game when I covered them during the NHL lockout.

I had just walked in, and before I can sit down the bartender gives me a beer from a guy on the other side of the bar. I look over, the guy waves at me and I have no clue who it is. I wave back and yell out a thank you. Then I buy him one.

Over the next three hours, the guy buys me maybe four drinks but never comes over. So before I leave I swing by to thank him and shake his hand. I say "I'm sorry, but I have to admit I'm not sure I know you." He says "Nah, but I watch you all the time." Taking note of my puzzled expression, he says "You are Paul Peck, right?"

I'd have to agree here. Richmond Webb hasn't gotten close to the Hall of Fame.

I was in the Big Tree after a Bills game when I covered them during the NHL lockout.

I had just walked in, and before I can sit down the bartender gives me a beer from a guy on the other side of the bar. I look over, the guy waves at me and I have no clue who it is. I wave back and yell out a thank you. Then I buy him one.

Over the next three hours, the guy buys me maybe four drinks but never comes over. So before I leave I swing by to thank him and shake his hand. I say "I'm sorry, but I have to admit I'm not sure I know you." He says "Nah, but I watch you all the time." Taking note of my puzzled expression, he says "You are Paul Peck, right?"

That's funny. What did the guy say when you told him you were not Paul Peck ? I see the resemblance, but not enough to confuse the two of you.

That's funny. What did the guy say when you told him you were not Paul Peck ? I see the resemblance, but not enough to confuse the two of you.

He was a little embarrassed but glad to make a friend he could talk hockey with. I still run into him when I drop by there.

I just took a glance at the mailbag and have to say you guys came through strong ... in a short period of time ... on a Sunday.

I'm speechless. Looks like a two-part blog for sure.

Thank you so much for the responses.

Mine was just too damn long. I looked at it and said "Damn if I'm going to inflict this novella on him", and didn't submit.

'S'okay. I'm sure you don't need my opinion. One of the opinionated bastards here probably has me covered.

Mine was just too damn long. I looked at it and said "Damn if I'm going to inflict this novella on him", and didn't submit.

'S'okay. I'm sure you don't need my opinion. One of the opinionated bastards here probably has me covered.

Same here. Mine was fairly long, and rather dry. It also lacked outrage or anything too controversial.

It was similar to the last one I wrote for his mailbag (on the TO acquisition), and he didn't like that one enough to use. I figure I saved him from reading another.

My comments are submitted. Although, I'm afraid they pretty well suck (sorry my brain is tired from working on computers all day). I probably should have just cut and pasted one of my comments from here over the last few days.

I did hear the press conference in Philly. Dude definitely seems a little too nonchalant about giving up sacks. Oh well, it's the Eagle's concern now. Next....

To me, Paul's hair is quite a bit darker. But inside the Big Tree and after a couple of beers ... Yeah, okay, I can see that happening. And hey, he bought you drinks, so it's all good.