Trade Rumor: Bills Get Oher

Even if a trade with Jax is true, why would the Bills tell them who we are targeting, and why would Jax leak the info? I don't doubt that the Bills have something in the works, be it trades in the draft or picks for veterans, but I seriously doubt this happens.

Me too. Under that mock, why not just stand pat and draft smith? Is there really a difference of two fourth round picks between Smith and Oher?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point, but who else would the Bills be moving up with Jacksonville for? Orakpo?

Oher or any tackle makes sense, that's why it was probably assumed.

Curry if he falls. Maybe Smith. The way things are happening at One Bills Drive, nothing would be too surprising at this point.

Even if a trade with Jax is true, why would the Bills tell them who we are targeting, and why would Jax leak the info? I don't doubt that the Bills have something in the works, be it trades in the draft or picks for veterans, but I seriously doubt this happens.

part of the discussion could be the Bills will make the trade as long as Oher is there when Jax is on the clock

Jax might have leaked the info as well to try and get some interest from other teams that might want to move up

I wouldn't move up for Oher, no-way, no-how. I'd stay at #11 or move down. Beatty (definitely) or Andre Smith (probably) will be there.

Yes, he has some baggage but Andre Smith was DOMINATING as a player for four years at Alabama. Some scouts have characterized him as the "most dominant OT since Orlando Pace".

I'd rather take some of the risk with A. Smith than some of the comments I've heard about Oher and his football intelligence. If the Bills get that desperate for an OT that early instead of letting the draft come to them they are going to make a huge mistake, IMHO.

I'm not sure what scouting reports you're reading but they don't mesh at all with the many that I've read. For what little that is worth. Virtually all the reports I've read have him as an "exceptional" pass blocker. Also, he weighs a solid 50 lbs less than Mike Williams and stayed an extra year in school to refine his game rather than cash out last year. I see no record of laziness, of not taking care of his body. He seems to have done everything in his power to be as good a player as he can be up to this point.

Here are some various Mock Draft and analysis on Oher that I have read recently, from the writers of this site where you can build your own mock draft:

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/index.cfm

Now I'm not saying these scouting reports are from Todd McShay and Mel Kiper here! These are some guys I've never heard of that write for this publication. Still, I checked with those two ESPN gurus. I won't subscribe as an "Insider", so I can only see their top 16 picks in round one. Kiper does not have Oher being drafted in the top 16 at all, and McShay also has Oher going to San Diego at 16. Kiper has the Bills drafting Pettigrew with 11.

16. SD: Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi

The Chargers will be the beneficiary of Michael Oher's poor performance at the NFL Combine. He is an extremely inconsistent pass blocker, but that is less of a concern for the Chargers than it would be for other teams. Oher continues to fall down draft boards, but he should not drop out of the first half of the first round.

16. SD: Michael Oher, OL, Ole Miss

Another pick which is on soft ground. Indications are the Charges are torn between Oher and Ohio State's Chris Wells. There is a certain need at RB, but the team's biggest need is at right offensive tackle. With the highest first round pick the team has have in years, expect general manager AJ Smith to fill that hole early. Oher is the best OL still on the board. In term of pure talent, he is in the same class with Baylor's Jason Smith. The only question has been his level of desire and intelligence. But San Diego is a team loaded with young and talented vocal leaders which will serve the massive Oher in his development.

13. WAS: Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss

Now that the Redskins upgraded the interior of both lines with the addition of $100 million man DT Albert Haynesworth and LG Derrick Dockery, they can focus on adding a tackle or end/outside linebacker with this pick. Andre Smith will not drop any further if he is still on the board. Oher has had an up and down draft evaluation period, but he has tremendous upside and could immediately start at RT for the Redskins before eventually switching sides when Chris Samuels calls it a career.

If Mel Kiper doesn't have Oher being drafted at all in the top 16 picks, why would the Bills think they need to trade UP to be able to draft him around number 7 or 8? Now we can bash Kiper of course, after all, "Who the hell is Mel Kiper", right? (I'll always love that sound bite from that old Colts' GM back in the late 80's!) But it seems that Oher is all over the place in the "experts" minds.

According to this, we end up with Oher and the 28th pick instead of Peters and the 11th pick.

A little later in the site, the guy says that the conditional pick next year should be a second from a value perspective. That appears to be his conjecture based on the points according to the draft value chart. If we do end up with a later round pick (as others seem to think), the trade obviosly is not as good (or worse depending on how you view the trade).

Why trade up when there are other tackles, also not every body thinks he goes in the top ten anyway

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/mock_draft

This is pure craziness. The mock draft above has Buffalo being able to draft Oher with the number 28 pick of round 1. This thread started out with another article saying the Bills had better waste draft picks to trade up to Jacksonville's #8 in order to have a chance of drafting Oher. I don't like this huge difference of opinion on this guy. No way should the Bills trade up just to be able to draft Oher. Now I'm thinking they should either draft him at 11 if he's still there if they love him so much and not waste picks, or draft their DE at 11 and worry about the OT later.

This is pure craziness. The mock draft above has Buffalo being able to draft Oher with the number 28 pick of round 1. This thread started out with another article saying the Bills had better waste draft picks to trade up to Jacksonville's #8 in order to have a chance of drafting Oher. I don't like this huge difference of opinion on this guy. No way should the Bills trade up just to be able to draft Oher. Now I'm thinking they should either draft him at 11 if he's still there if they love him so much and not waste picks, or draft their DE at 11 and worry about the OT later.

Either Michael Oher or Andre Smith should be available at 11. Jason Smith (Baylor) and Eugene Monroe (Virginia) will definitely be gone, but I doubt that you will see a run of 4 OT's before the Bills pick. Trading up to get a Tackle is completely unnecessary.

Either Michael Oher or Andre Smith should be available at 11. Jason Smith (Baylor) and Eugene Monroe (Virginia) will definitely be gone, but I doubt that you will see a run of 4 OT's before the Bills pick. Trading up to get a Tackle is completely unnecessary.

Agreed...And if it does, the bills will get a stud defensive player like Raji falling through the crack...I think the Bills should build for the long term with the draft picks rather than trading up....In the last 6 years we have traded up to get Denney, Losman, McCargo, not to mention picking McGahee when we had Travis Henry.....

Agreed...And if it does, the bills will get a stud defensive player like Raji falling through the crack...I think the Bills should build for the long term with the draft picks rather than trading up....In the last 6 years we have traded up to get Denney, Losman, McCargo, not to mention picking McGahee when we had Travis Henry.....

Exactly. If there is a run of 4 OT's and Stafford & Sanchez go as expected, the Bills will have a top defensive player to choose from. I wouldn't mind that scenario playing out.

oh wait,

if there is a ridiculous run on tackles with 4 of the top 10 picks (you can also assume 1 possibly 2 qbs in those same 10 picks) that means some serious defensive talent has "slipped" and will be available for us to select or bargain off to a suitor in a trade down scenario as Dean alluded to previously

if there is a ridiculous run on tackles with 4 of the top 10 picks (you can also assume 1 possibly 2 qbs in those same 10 picks) that means some serious defensive talent has "slipped" and will be available for us to select or bargain off to a suitor in a trade down scenario as Dean alluded to previously

Just playing off your sig dude, that's all.