Did anyone here likes the O-line from last season??

SKOOBY

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills kept the two guys worth keeping. Walker and Butler played very solid. Butler hopefully can get past the injuries.

Fowler Preston and Dockery were down right terrible.

Peters looked very out of shape his first 4-5 games. He had no continuity with Dockery, because he missed all of the off season work. His timming was very bad. And personally i think in his mind he felt like if you are going to pay me 3 million a year i will block like a 3 million a year LT.

Now the Bills have quietly made two signings on the Oline.

Hangartner played on a very good Carolina Oline. Had to watch them play a few Sundays down here. He was more or less a victim of numbers. Too much good talent in one area. His contract was up and the Panthers could not resign him for starter money. They already had paid starter money to the rest of the line.

McKinney seems like a very quality depth guy, that could also help spell the rookie(the Bills take in the draft) at gaurd.

Going into last year the Oline was suppose to be our strength. With the center spot being the chink in the armour.

Every broadcast the announcer would bring up the fact that the Bills starting line was the biggest in football. Yet they consitently got pushed around. And usually it seemed like the heat came from center over to LT.

So i am optimistic this year the changes will lead to something better. And hopefully everyone is signed up early and in camp on time so they can work together and form a consistent unit.

I didn't like the OL last year but it had nothing to do with Peters- Dockery, Fowler, Preston, and Butler were all worthless and weak- Butler may have been the best of that motley crew (he didn't totally wiff or forget assignments) but he got no push in the running game and got pushed right back into the pocket way to often on pass plays.

Oh yeah, right. Peters and his 11.5 whiffs didn't add to the stink.

PTR

Did you like the recievers from last season? Let's trade Evans.

If the WR corps worked like the O-line then maybe yeah. But WR are individual perfomers. O-line is a team effort. If your "best" guy sucks, then how good will the whole be?

PTR

Peters looked aweful at times as well, simply lost.

Kugler did a masterful job with the entire line last year. One would've never guessed he was a greenhorn OL coach. Maybe he can coach up whoever plays the left side of the offense this year by rotating Chambers, Bell, and XXX like a ferris wheel. Everybody loves a circus, right? :D

I don't know where you got your observations, but Lynch averaged 4.9 YPC going to the right side and Jackson averaged 4.0. And Butler gave-up just 1 sacks in 13 starts. And I'm sure playing next to Preston/Fowler didn't help.

What were the Stats going left and more importantly what were the stats up the middle- and I don't give much of a crap about stats because I have eyes and can see when a OG is getting push around like a shopping cart- so when Lynch gets hit 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage breaks three or four tackles to pick up five yards you think Butler should get credit.

Kugler did a masterful job with the entire line last year. One would've never guessed he was a greenhorn OL coach. Maybe he can coach up whoever plays the left side of the offense this year by rotating Chambers, Bell, and XXX like a ferris wheel. Everybody loves a circus, right? :thumbsup:

:wallbash:

using a cheap, patchwork OL made up of castoffs and bad rookies has worked so well for the team over the last 15 years. :thumbsup:

by not spending resources on the OL, they have afforded themselves the luxury of spending numerous picks (3 #1s, 2 #2s,3,4,5) on QBs whose careers were promptly destroyed by lack of pass protection and run blocking

at least the team has consistently made the playoffs

I wonder if there is a corelation there :wallbash:

Sorry spartacus but you are one of the weaker posters on TSW. Every comment you make is jaded by your frustration with the team. You are certainly allowed to be frustrated, but you can't seperate your pity party from reality. Thus making another zero substance, I hate this team poster. You only bring slightly more to the table, than the guy who states Jauron sucks in a thread about Everette Brown. So thanks for nothing.

For the record, the Bills have spent alot of money on the offensive line. The players just didn't pan out. How do you know the rookies are already bad? If you look around the league you will see many young lineman who contribute right away. The Qbs whose careers were destroyed by the pass protection and run blocking, have done wonders since. Clearly these guys were destined for greatness, and never recovered mentally.

Sorry spartacus but you are one of the weaker posters on TSW. Every comment you make is jaded by your frustration with the team. You are certainly allowed to be frustrated, but you can't seperate your pity party from reality. Thus making another zero substance, I hate this team poster. You only bring slightly more to the table, than the guy who states Jauron sucks in a thread about Everette Brown. So thanks for nothing.

For the record, the Bills have spent alot of money on the offensive line. The players just didn't pan out. How do you know the rookies are already bad? If you look around the league you will see many young lineman who contribute right away. The Qbs whose careers were destroyed by the pass protection and run blocking, have done wonders since. Clearly these guys were destined for greatness, and never recovered mentally.

<_<

let me help you with the logic

you say the Bills have spent a lot of money on the OL - but the players just didn't pan out

maybe there is a correlation between the guys at OBD doing the talent evaluation and the continuous whiffing on OL production

I know this may be a reach - but maybe the Bills front office is a little weak in evaluating OL talent - which is why the players they bring continually under perform (regardless of how much they spend or what draft picks they use)

you do realize they get paid to find good players - and maybe there should be some accountability for all that big money spent on players not panning out.

Extrapolating forward, those same guys (and Linda Bogdan) are still doing the talent evaluating - so excuse me if I cringe when they assemble the next version of an OL.

let me help you with the logic

you say the Bills have spent a lot of money on the OL - but the players just didn't work out

maybe there is a correlation between the guys at OBD doing the talent evaluation and the continuous whiffing on OL production

I know this may be a reach - but maybe the Bills front office is a little weak in evaluating OL talent - which is why the players they bring continually under perform (regardless of how much they spend or what draft picks they use)

Extrapolating forward, those same guys (and Linda Bogdan) are still doing the talent evaluating - so excuse me if I cringe when they assemble the next version of an OL.

Linda scouts lineman, btw.

I think Littman, Bogdan and Russ have been scouting a locale to the north as well.

Hey, she liked Carwell Gardner back in the day! I just wish Polian was around to tell her where to go.

well I hope Ralph splurged this year and let them subscribe to more than just Mel Kiper's draft magazine. :rolleyes:

Schedule is harder this year, major changes were needed.

........and so we go into the 2009 season with a disaster for an O-line, rather than one that was mediocre. One that had a shot at being improved.

When the Bills dumped Dockery, one would think that they had a plan, yet none surfaced. They dumped their backup guard and center (Preston) by not making him a real offer. We replaced the Fowler/Preston snap twins with a backup. Lastly, we passed on Peters and took the lesser of Phillies 1st's and a friggin 4th. That was crap. Should have been 21 slot 1st and a third.

Folks it's all about the Benjamins. Old Ralph really believes he can take them with him. A joke for a front office, a slightly lesser joke of a HC and staff (but they work cheap). Instead of going out with a blaze of glory, the businessman in Ralph is getting one last shot at maximizing his take. Sad, how much more does he need to leave his family. They're all going to be taken care of quite nicely already.

Toronto, Ralph's age, etc., all point to Buffalo having only a few ticks of the clock left before no longer having a NFL football team to cheer for.

The Polian era will forever be Bills only chance at greatness.

Funny part is we are no where near the 2009 season starting & we have a disaster?? Let's see how the draft plays out / some outstanding FA's.

........and so we go into the 2009 season with a disaster for an O-line, rather than one that was mediocre. One that had a shot at being improved.

When the Bills dumped Dockery, one would think that they had a plan, yet none surfaced. They dumped their backup guard and center (Preston) by not making him a real offer. We replaced the Fowler/Preston snap twins with a backup. Lastly, we passed on Peters and took the lesser of Phillies 1st's and a friggin 4th. That was crap. Should have been 21 slot 1st and a third.

Folks it's all about the Benjamins. Old Ralph really believes he can take them with him. A joke for a front office, a slightly lesser joke of a HC and staff (but they work cheap). Instead of going out with a blaze of glory, the businessman in Ralph is getting one last shot at maximizing his take. Sad, how much more does he need to leave his family. They're all going to be taken care of quite nicely already.

Toronto, Ralph's age, etc., all point to Buffalo having only a few ticks of the clock left before no longer having a NFL football team to cheer for.

The Polian era will forever be Bills only chance at greatness.

Funny part is we are no where near the 2009 season starting & we have a disaster?? Let's see how the draft plays out / some outstanding FA's.

just curious-

where are these "outstanding FAs" going to materialize from?

no impact FAs are on the market, let alone in Buffalo's price range

if you mean, 2nd and 3rd string castoffs that the Bills will spin to be borderline Hall of fame talent that got a bad deal with their former team -

then I stand corrected

Skoob.....O-lines aren't built overnight, especially in an off season where anyone of real talent is ignored when considering replacements or God forbid, improvements. Draft? O-line's manned by a pair of rookies? Extremely rare to find this a improvement.

No, I stand by my comments. The draft could possibly make our line slightly less painful to watch, but Rome won't be built (re-built?) in a year.......