Peters reaches terms

It's over. :wallbash: Nothing we can do now. :wallbash: His crying was getting old :(

Now it's time to concentrate on football and add some new young talent. :thumbsup:

Think of the extra money we have to spend on any new acquisitions. Peter's $4mm + the $5mm++ the FO was willing to pay him. :beer:

Are you ready for some football?!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not disputing your claim, but I don't remember seeing a post from Tim that suggests that. I just looked though a few threads and couldn't find it, a search for that quote from Tim, didn't produce anything useful, either. Just this"

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?s=&am...t&p=1364301

But, that is from March 24th and isn't in reference to this deal.

If you come across it, please link it back.

Pro Bowl left tackle Jason Peters and the Philadelphia Eagles have agreed to terms on a new contract that will give him $53 million in new money over an additional four years, ESPN's John Clayton and Len Pasquarelli report.

That makes Peters the highest-paid offensive lineman in NFL history, surpassing the deal the Miami Dolphins awarded No. 1 draft choice Jake Long one year ago.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-7-89/...-in-Philly.html

Lori posted it earlier in the thread. To me, that makes it pretty clear that he's getting $53M over 4 seasons. Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong.

If I am wrong, he must mean that Peters "surpasses" Jake Long in terms of total dollars, which doesn't seem right...we know total dollars don't really mean all that much these days when teams can get out of a deal at any time. I have to think he means Peters surpasses him in average yearly salary, in other words, he's getting over $13M for those 4 years.

The Bills never would've even approached those kind of numbers, and when it gets that high up there, I find I'm not quite as pissed off anymore.

Peters is getting an additonal $54M over 4 years, tacked onto his 2-year $6M remaining deal. So he's making $60M over 6 years ($10M/year), with $25M guaranteed. And Jake Long is the highest-paid LT in NFL history, at 5 years and $57.5M ($11.5M/year).

So now I'm both wrong and stupid,

I'm bashing Jason Peters for showing zero loyalty to his team and a young QB that needed him and it seems stupid to me that someone couldn't gather as much from my post. I expect better from you.

Your bashing of Peters for "not showing loyalty" makes absolutely on sense. Why should he show loyalty to the corporation that is the Bills? Will they show him loyalty? If there was loyalty from the organization to the players, they wouldn't have "guaranteed money." It would all be guaranteed.

The team will drop a guy like there is no tomorrow if its in their best interest and that's why I'm always baffled by fans that unilaterally take the organization's side. Don't get me wrong, I want the best players and the best team, but it's ridiculous to assume they should compromise their own net worth for some unidirectional loyalty we expect of them. This is more our selfish desires to have our team do well--but its not fair to the player or his free market value.

Ask Dockery about loyalty. Was he not "loyal" to the team?

Guest dog14787
Your bashing of Peters for "not showing loyalty" makes absolutely on sense. Why should he show loyalty to the corporation that is the Bills? Will they show him loyalty? If there was loyalty from the organization to the players, they wouldn't have "guaranteed money." It would all be guaranteed.

The team will drop a guy like there is no tomorrow if its in their best interest and that's why I'm always baffled by fans that unilaterally take the organization's side. Don't get me wrong, I want the best players and the best team, but it's ridiculous to assume they should compromise their own net worth for some unidirectional loyalty we expect of them. This is more our selfish desires to have our team do well--but its not fair to the player or his free market value.

Ask Dockery about loyalty. Was he not "loyal" to the team?

Difference of opinion.

How about honoring the existing contract you have like some players seem to do without a problem.

You honestly have no idea?

well now that Peters and Dockery are gone -

the Bills can get back to their favored practice of using has beens and castoffs for the OL.

It must have been killing the front office to have a serviceable OL for the first time since 1994.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-7-89/...-in-Philly.html

Lori posted it earlier in the thread. To me, that makes it pretty clear that he's getting $53M over 4 seasons. Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong.

If I am wrong, he must mean that Peters "surpasses" Jake Long in terms of total dollars, which doesn't seem right...we know total dollars don't really mean all that much these days when teams can get out of a deal at any time. I have to think he means Peters surpasses him in average yearly salary, in other words, he's getting over $13M for those 4 years.

The Bills never would've even approached those kind of numbers, and when it gets that high up there, I find I'm not quite as pissed off anymore.

Thanks, I missed that reference.

I really don't see how Peters is the highest paid LTin the NFL, any way you look at it. Maybe it will be clarified at some point. But, I'm not surprised if the claim is coming from the Peters camp. I suggested a while back that the Bills construct a $10 mil-ish deal, with terms and conditions that would allow Peters to make the same claim, as bragging rights can be a big part of these deals.

So now I'm both wrong and stupid,

I'm bashing Jason Peters for showing zero loyalty to his team and a young QB that needed him and it seems stupid to me that someone couldn't gather as much from my post. I expect better from you.

OK, just so I understand this clearly...

You EXPECT a professional athlete to forgo $12 million dollars out of loyalty to his team and (and this one makes me laugh the most) "a young QB who needed him. Not only that, you EXPECTED it from a guy who held out on the team last year.

Did I get all that right?

I definitely will not call you stupid this time. I don't have to.

<_<:devil::pirate:

Guest dog14787
OK, just so I understand this clearly...

You EXPECT a professional athlete to forgo $12 million dollars out of loyalty to his team and (and this one makes me laugh the most) "a young QB who needed him. Not only that, you EXPECTED it from a guy who held out on the team last year.

Did I get all that right?

I definitely will not call you stupid this time. I don't have to.

<_<:devil::pirate:

Jason Peters lack of loyalty to the Buffalo Bills has been painfully obvious to anyone that's not blind or lacking a brain. You tell me then, why couldn't the man even come close to honoring his contract?

What are you dense, I'll say this again, the Mil figure was figurative and you corrected me already.

What do you want, a medal?

You honestly have no idea?

Yeah Dean, I have a pretty good idea of how the Bills were with Jason Peters. THEY SUCKED!!! I don't like 7-9. With Peters they were going to be mediocre AGAIN!

If the Bills screw the draft up then as fans we are screwed yet again. But there is the potential for the organization to do something really great here. If you don't like what the Bills do then root for the Patriots, until then stfu.

Yeah Dean, I have a pretty good idea of how the Bills were with Jason Peters. THEY SUCKED!!! I don't like 7-9. With Peters they were going to be mediocre AGAIN!

If the Bills screw the draft up then as fans we are screwed yet again. But there is the potential for the organization to do something really great here. If you don't like what the Bills do then root for the Patriots, until then stfu.

So a bad team has no good players? They should just turn over the entire roster every year if they don't make the playoffs? You have to be smarter than that...you use a computer.

The way to improve your team is to keep the GOOD players, and replace the POOR ones...not the other way around.

The way to improve your team is to keep the GOOD players, and replace the POOR ones...not the other way around.

How about the malcontents?! It's obvious that Peters didn't want to be here. What he signed for, and how fast, and what we were offering wasn't that big of a spread. That fat bastard flew out of here faster than you can shake a stick at. There's a thing called chemistry also and Hogzilla was all about himself. Good riddance.

How about the malcontents?! It's obvious that Peters didn't want to be here. What he signed for, and how fast, and what we were offering wasn't that big of a spread. That fat bastard flew out of here faster than you can shake a stick at. There's a thing called chemistry also and Hogzilla was all about himself. Good riddance.

I have no idea if Peters wanted to play for the Bills or not. I agree the way things went down, something more than just money was at play here. I also think the Bills share some blame (but only some) in the bad blood that developed between the team and Peters/Parker.

But, none of that is relevant to the comment that the Bills are a better team without Peters. They are not. Or that Peters isn't very valuable because the Bills weren't successful with him last year. That's just plain stupid.

I also think the Bills could have held out for better value for Peters, seeing as how this is April, and not July. Accepting Philly's 28th pick (instead of their 21st) and 4th round pick (instead of 3rd) suggests the Bills simply wanted to end this. Fine, but don't suggest this was a great deal for the Bills. It was not, at least IMO.

It is possible the Bills use those picks to make the team better, in the future. But, until that happens, and those picks pan out, the team is in far worse shape today, than it was before the trade. Whether Peters was "all about himself" or not, he was the best LT the team had, by a large margin (even considering his season last year without any offseason work). TO is all about himself, too, yet most of us embrace his arrival because we know he brings talent along,..talent that is missing from the Bills without him.

Don't think I am taking a totally pro-Peters stance, other posts in other threads will show I challenge those who are completely bashing the Bills when they make indefensible statements, too. Some here are acting the way someone acts after a breakup...completely trashing their ex, accusing them of disloyalty, etc. To them I say "grow the fuc# up!" I just wish people thought a little more about what they are saying before they post...it would make for a better read, IMO.

I have no idea if Peters wanted to play for the Bills or not. I agree the way things went down, something more than just money was at play here. I also think the Bills share some blame (but only some) in the bad blood that developed between the team and Peters/Parker.

But, none of that is relevant to the comment that the Bills are a better team without Peters. They are not. Or that Peters isn't very valuable because the Bills weren't successful with him last year. That's just plain stupid.

I also think the Bills could have held out for better value for Peters, seeing as how this is April, and not July. Accepting Philly's 28th pick (instead of their 21st) and 4th round pick (instead of 3rd) suggests the Bills simply wanted to end this. Fine, but don't suggest this was a great deal for the Bills. It was not, at least IMO.

It is possible the Bills use those picks to make the team better, in the future. But, until that happens, and those picks pan out, the team is in far worse shape today, than it was before the trade. Whether Peters was "all about himself" or not, he was the best LT the team had, by a large margin (even considering his season last year without any offseason work). TO is all about himself, too, yet most of us embrace his arrival because we know he brings talent along,..talent that is missing from the Bills without him.

Don't think I am taking a totally pro-Peters stance, other posts in other threads will show I challenge those who are completely bashing the Bills when they make indefensible statements, too. Some here are acting the way someone acts after a breakup...completely trashing their ex, accusing them of disloyalty, etc. To them I say "grow the fuc# up!" I just wish people thought a little more about what they are saying before they post...it would make for a better read, IMO.

You actually want people to think before they post?!?! Damn, you're asking for a lot!

So a bad team has no good players? They should just turn over the entire roster every year if they don't make the playoffs? You have to be smarter than that...you use a computer.

What is the point of having a good player on the team if 1) your not going to pay him and 2) if he is just going to sit out the entire preseason and possibly a good portion or even the entire regular season. That is WAYYYYYYYYY SMART. Way to get a return on your investment. I think you should become GM of football operations Dean. Maybe that way the Bills would have all of the disgruntled talent that would make playing for the team so undesirable that they would have to move their team to Sacramento. Maybe I actually might be able to buy season tix then.

I didn't say that a bad team has no good players. What I am saying is that Peters was not going to play this year if he didn't get what he wanted. The Bills obviously were not going to give him what he wanted. So, to make a long story short, Peters holds out AGAIN, and the Bills are left holding there ---- in their hand. At least by trading they will get two players that can contribute to the team this year, and another player next year.

It is a win win scenario. Peters got what he wanted ($$$$ and out of Buffalo) the Eagles got what they wanted, and the Bills are at least fairly compensated, which IMO is what they wanted.

From the comments that Marcellus Wiley said on Sportscenter after the trade was announced, and after talking to his mysterious locker room "leader" it sounded as if the players were getting tired of Peters act too. The source said that Peters was holding the team hostage with his demands and threats. To me that could snowball into a potentially disasterous situation in the locker for the players, organization, and Peters, and not to mention the fans. This trade avoided all of that. You can sit there and think that the end of the world is coming for the Bills with this trade but as I said before they could come out of this better off.

All provided they don't screw up the draft.

Tom Landry used to say that starting a rookie cost you a minimum of 2 to 3 games a season, the ripple effect of mistakes. The Bills have once again put themselves in a position where they'll be hoping that rookies can come in and start immediately, it looks like. That's 3 out of the last 4 seasons. They rented T.O. for 1 year. It looks like Jauron and maybe Edwards need to step up to the plate and win now... :rolleyes:

It could happen. :P

Tom Landry used to say that starting a rookie cost you a minimum of 2 to 3 games a season, the ripple effect of mistakes. The Bills have once again put themselves in a position where they'll be hoping that rookies can come in and start immediately, it looks like. That's 3 out of the last 4 seasons. They rented T.O. for 1 year. It looks like Jauron and maybe Edwards need to step up to the plate and win now... :P

It could happen. :w00t:

be sure to take your umbrella with you today

I hear there are pigs flying everywhere :rolleyes:

This offseason is shaping up to be reminiscent of 2007 personnel-wise. That year, the Bills traded McGahee and Spikes while letting Clements and Fletcher go in UFA. They signed Dockery and Walker as opposed to drafting OL and perhaps waiting. Lynch and Posluszny needed to be immediate starters, and Edwards had to play when JPL got hurt. After the season, people began talking playoffs in 08.

Now we're back at the same point: making wholesale changes and hoping rookies will play at a decent level. We've been down this road, and banking on rookies isn't a good plan when you consider the team knows it must make the playoffs.

Then again, maybe it's never been about making the playoffs.

I get the feeling that the marketing strategy, tied in with personnel with Russ, is about changing things every so often to provide a "new and improved" product. People always love something new, even if a previous version was better. Thing is, they won't know it until the "new and improved" version has run its course.

This offseason is shaping up to be reminiscent of 2007 personnel-wise. That year, the Bills traded McGahee and Spikes while letting Clements and Fletcher go in UFA. They signed Dockery and Walker as opposed to drafting OL and perhaps waiting. Lynch and Posluszny needed to be immediate starters, and Edwards had to play when JPL got hurt. After the season, people began talking playoffs in 08.

Now we're back at the same point: making wholesale changes and hoping rookies will play at a decent level. We've been down this road, and banking on rookies isn't a good plan when you consider the team knows it must make the playoffs.

Then again, maybe it's never been about making the playoffs.

I get the feeling that the marketing strategy, tied in with personnel with Russ, is about changing things every so often to provide a "new and improved" product. People always love something new, even if a previous version was better. Thing is, they won't know it until the "new and improved" version has run its course.

you need to understand history to understand the present and future

go and google the history of the Florida Marlins to find the roadmap for the Bills under Russ Brandon

While with the Marlins, Brandon learned from the masters at keeping the payroll at a minimum while getting rid of all players good enough to deserve good pay.

The Marlins did win 2 World Series using this approach - but they had Larry Beinfest to find the young talent to stock the shelves and good to great coaching to turn that talent into a winner

Unfortunately, the big differences in Buffalo are

1. Modrak and Guy are incapable of finding quality talent

2. the GM in Buffalo has been taken to the cleaners on trades

3. the coaching is less than laughable.

now you know the game plan -so don;t be surprised by the Parrish & Kelsey salary dumps to follow the exodus of Peters

go and google the history of the Florida Marlins to find the roadmap for the Bills under Russ Brandon

While with the Marlins, Brandon learned from the masters at keeping the payroll at a minimum while getting rid of all players good enough to deserve good pay.

The Marlins did win 2 World Series using this approach - but they had Larry Beinfest to find the young talent to stock the shelves and good to great coaching to turn that talent into a winner

... and Brandon has taken up some of this post-Levy as well.
... and Brandon, with Ralph and Overdorf, has a major role in the hydra-GMship of the current Bills.

now you know the game plan -so don;t be surprised by the Parrish & Kelsey salary dumps to follow the exodus of Peters

Well, it's all about the QB anyway. :devil:

Some here are acting the way someone acts after a breakup...completely trashing their ex, accusing them of disloyalty, etc. To them I say "grow the fuc# up!" I just wish people thought a little more about what they are saying before they post...it would make for a better read, IMO.

You know what, you got a lot of nerve for saying this. THE GUY SIGNED A CONTRACT! He gave his word when he did that. Where is the honor? I never signed a contract but I don't need to. When I give someone my word I keep it. No ifs, ands or buts about it. I'm not a fan because I'm compensated, I'm a fan because this team means something to me. I'm not a fan of this team because of the good times and I don't run away when decisions are made that I don't agree with.

I'm not bitter because he wanted more money or was unhappy. I have anger when he drew a line in the sand and was unwavering about the terms. He was unrelenting when he wanted to change the terms that he agreed to! He didn't give a sh-- about you, me, this franchise or this community that was behind him not once but twice!

The Bills were the ones who employed him when nobody else did. It was the Bills who re-signed him when nobody else did. It was the Bills who converted him to another position and developed him, and paid him millions of dollars while they did it. Most importantly it was us, the fans, who gave him the most important reward, our hearts. It was thousands of blue collar people who break their @$$ in supporting him and others on this team with loyalty, dedication and commitment. We the fans asked nothing of him but to be one of us and maybe give back just a fraction of what we gave him.

"Grow the fuc# up!" ??!!! You got some balls for saying that! I'd tell you that maybe you should get your priorities straight but it doesn't appear that you have any. I didn't have to "think" about this before I posted it or to make "a better read", I'm posting it because I'm a Bills' fan and it's coming straight from the heart. Maybe you should take some of your own advice.

Florida spent heavily in 97 on UFA's like Kevin Brown, Gary Sheffield, Al Leiter, and others to get a winner. After the title, they dismantled the entire bunch, but not before Russell came north to work for the Bills.

Russ wasn't on board when the exodus began of Florida's purchased talent. He's been able to sell tickets like no other, and I think it's for this reason that he's well-regarded in RW's eyes. Well, at least in putting a face on the team as opposed to a 90 year old man who is a PR nightmare. RB also can't fire coaches.

The only way for most fans to see through the smokescreen going on is for Buffalo to fail during the season, which I think they will. I don't hope they do, but a 10th season without the playoffs will make even the diehards think twice about their support of this team. And maybe that's the plan.