Syracuse Native Greg Paulus - QB - Buffalo Bills

http://www.syracuse.com/today/index.ssf/20...est_in_gre.html

According to a report on ESPN.com on Tuesday, Central New York native and graduating Duke point guard Greg Paulus recently had a workout with the NFL's Green Bay Packers.

Coming out of Christian Brothers Academy in Syracuse, Paulus (6-foot-1, 180 pounds) picked basketball over football, despite holding scholarship offers to play quarterback for Notre Dame, Miami and several other top Division I schools. Paulus was a four-time all-state football player, a starter in the U.S. Army All-American game and a Gatorade football player of the year.

As a point guard for the Duke basketball team, Paulus started in 95 games before seeing his role diminish this year, in his senior season.

Great story. I don't care about stories any more. I'd rather win and go to the playoffs. If the guy can't contribute, screw him. Can he contribute? No? Screw him.

According to a report on ESPN.com on Tuesday, Central New York native and graduating Duke point guard Greg Paulus recently had a workout with the NFL's Green Bay Packers.

Coming out of Christian Brothers Academy in Syracuse, Paulus (6-foot-1, 180 pounds) picked basketball over football, despite holding scholarship offers to play quarterback for Notre Dame, Miami and several other top Division I schools. Paulus was a four-time all-state football player, a starter in the U.S. Army All-American game and a Gatorade football player of the year.

As a point guard for the Duke basketball team, Paulus started in 95 games before seeing his role diminish this year, in his senior season.

I always thought that Paulus made the wrong decision in going with basketball over football. It showed this year with the Blue Devils kinda screwing the poor guy over. I don't know if he could really do enough with his 1 year of eligibility to get himself into the NFL. He was an excellent QB coming out of HS though so maybe he's still got it.

I always thought that Paulus made the wrong decision in going with basketball over football. It showed this year with the Blue Devils kinda screwing the poor guy over. I don't know if he could really do enough with his 1 year of eligibility to get himself into the NFL. He was an excellent QB coming out of HS though so maybe he's still got it.

screwing the poor guy over? He just wasnt as good as Nolan Smith

he's also talking about playing QB at Michigan.

Don't care for the kid at all.

I don't like Duke at all and think Paulus was kinda of a whiner but I gained a lot respect for the guy. He started 3 years and lost his job his senior year and was completely professional about it. If he wants to continue his athletic career and is good enough to, more power to him.

Your window to play sports at a high level is so small that you should take advantage of any opportunity you have. There are still days when I wish I could have one more season. But that's life.

The three Bills QB's are cemented into their positions. IMO.

Drew Bledsoe!

Oh, sorry, thought you were asking a question. I heard "cement", and, well....

Please count me out as someone that would "love" to see this happen. Maybe a tight end could get away with playing zero college football while playing baskeball, but not a QB! Here's my prediction on this kid, he won't see action as a possble starter in a regular season NFL game for at least 3 to 4 years, and by that time, who knows if the Bills will still be playing in Buffalo?? Are things that desperate in the NFL, that they need to sign a point guard from Duke to become their next star QB? Pathetic. :thumbsup:

He was an absolutely dominating QB coming out of HS. No reason not to take a look at him. He needs about 20 pounds and he's good. Can't be any worse than Drew Hensen

And look at how great Hensen turned out. :thumbsup:

i know it probably means nothing but i played against him in high school and he was unbelievable. he torched our vaunted canisius crusader defense for about 300 yards 4 td's and 2 running. i think at the time he left for duke he was the #1 rated qb in the country and chose to go play basketball ar duke instead of football at notre dame

screwing the poor guy over? He just wasnt as good as Nolan Smith

Yeah, Nolan Smith really took them deep in the tourney considering he couldn't hold his job either losing it to Elliot Williams :thumbsup: I'd have rather had Paulus on the floor this year IMO.

Former Gatorade Football Player of the Year in New York, offered scholarships at Notre Dame and Miami, and instead chose basketball at Duke, where many think he was the best QB in the ACC, even though he never played football!

The kid picked basketball and screwed up his future big time. He never had a chance at turning pro in basketball, so yes, I think he made an absolutely HUGE mistake that probably cost him millions of dollars. I don't begrudge him a last shot at playing QB for a year - hell, he could come home and grab the SU spot very easily, but that's not likely to get him as much exposure or chance to flash (and definitely wouldn't get him into a bowl game!).