Jets moving training camp to Syracuse suburb

Why is everyone focused on the fan base? Who cares who the fans root for in the training camp town?

Isn't it more reasonable to assume they picked Cortland because the facility costs are probably a hell of a lot cheaper than in Long Island?

And it's not that far from NYC anyway. 4 hours up Route 17....and that's a fun road to drive.

Why is everyone focused on the fan base? Who cares who the fans root for in the training camp town?

Isn't it more reasonable to assume they picked Cortland because the facility costs are probably a hell of a lot cheaper than in Long Island?

And it's not that far from NYC anyway. 4 hours up Route 17....and that's a fun road to drive.

FYI, Jets moved their offices to Florham Park NJ and had their camp there last year.

I would classify the Cortland/Syracuse/Ithaca area as primarilly bills country, with some giants fans and maybe a rare jets fan...

This surprises me quite a bit and I do see it as them trying to lure away some Bills fan

I think my season-ticket partner and I are gonna go up for a visit in full Bills gear. :ph34r:

U nailed it!

I don't know where you get this from. Syracuse is Giants country. Then followed by the Bills. When you are going through a mall, see how much Bills merchandise is on the racks. Not half of what Giant stuff is on the racks. And it is this way because the Giant merchandise sells.

I moved to CNY in the early 70's, Giants on one channel, Jets on the other. If there was one Bills game televised a year, I was lucky. That didn't really change until the Late 80's. It took two things to do that. Better Bills teams and poorer Jet teams. If the Bills start losing and the Jets start winning, it could easily revert back to what it was.

Yeah, Russ will do something about this. Watch for training camp to move to freakin' Hamilton, Ontario the day the Bills Rochester contract comes up.

PUNCH!

I would classify the Cortland/Syracuse/Ithaca area as primarilly bills country, with some giants fans and maybe a rare jets fan...

This surprises me quite a bit and I do see it as them trying to lure away some Bills fan

IMO, anything east of Syracuse is Giants territory. I think that's a big reason Brandon sets up camp in Rochester. It's approx. 60 miles from Buffalo and Syracuse making it an easy drive up the Thruway and it's a chance to dig into the Syracuse fan base. JMO

I've done plenty of marketing across NY State, 81 is very much a divider of NFL fans with Bills fans dominating west of 81, Giants dominating the east. Basically, wherever you see Labatt Blue you see Bills fans, a strange phenomenon I noticed.

You don't see many Jets fans in WNY or Upstate, I think most are in NYC and Long Island.

I think this is a clear move to regionalize in the wake of the Bills eventual move out of Buffalo.