Rhodes in town

I suppose he is the best option left, except perhaps Dunn.

In another exploratory move for possible backfield depth since star runner Marshawn Lynch has been suspended for three games by the NFL, the Buffalo Bills met with former Indianapolis Colts and Oakland Raiders running back Dominic Rhodes on Tuesday, according to Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com.

With Lynch sidelined to open the season due to a violation of the league’s personal conduct policy and primary backup Fred Jackson opting to skip offseason workouts, the Bills have been trying to shore up this area of concern since free agency began.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/14/...ing-in-buffalo/

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about this guy. He looked good for Indy last year in spurts, but there is a reason he was not re-signed by the Colts. I'd rather have Dunn.

Whenever Polian lets someone go, there's usually a good reason.

This search for another RB tells me the brass isn't high on Xavier Omon. If a RB isn't getting PT at the beginning of their career in obvious situations (as in Lynch's suspension) something is wrong.

Whenever Polian lets someone go, there's usually a good reason.

This search for another RB tells me the brass isn't high on Xavier Omon. If a RB isn't getting PT at the beginning of their career in obvious situations (as in Lynch's suspension) something is wrong.

I think they want a vet in there partly because Jackson hasn't been signed to an extension yet but more so as an insurance policy if Jackson gets hurt in training camp, pre-season or at any point in the first couple games. Whomever it is is going to get veteran minimum or close to it. Almost for sure a one-year deal or no real risk of money. If Omon beats him out in camp and pre-season, Omon will get the carries. The reason Fred Taylor and Kevin Jones didn't sign here was simply because they weren't going to be counted on. If Freddy can play, he will likely play the entire game like he did in the season finale last year. If he gets hurt, I think we need a vet to start the season.

I think they want a vet in there partly because Jackson hasn't been signed to an extension yet but more so as an insurance policy if Jackson gets hurt in training camp, pre-season or at any point in the first couple games. Whomever it is is going to get veteran minimum or close to it. Almost for sure a one-year deal or no real risk of money. If Omon beats him out in camp and pre-season, Omon will get the carries. The reason Fred Taylor and Kevin Jones didn't sign here was simply because they weren't going to be counted on. If Freddy can play, he will likely play the entire game like he did in the season finale last year. If he gets hurt, I think we need a vet to start the season.

+1

knock on wood but if freddie goes down in TC I don't want omen starting games for us

I'm pretty sure he got arrested right after the Colts won the Super Bowl, sounds about right. Seriously though, I live in Indy and saw him a lot last year, it would be good addition. Especially for three games sharing the load and being available for potential injuries throughout the year.

I just looked at his stats and he'd be a great pickup regardless. While his YPC wasn't great (3.5 YPC), the dude had 9 TD's last year (6 rushing and 3 receiving, which is 8 more TD's than Taylor). And he caught 45 passes. How/why was this guy still out there?

Rhodes got a big-money deal with the Raiders after the Super Bowl and then got cut by the Raiders in a cost-cutting move. The Colts signed him at the time for I think a year, which is why he is a FA now.

I don't view this as an indictment of Omon, just that they'd rather go with a trusted vet for pass protection.

I certainly understand about a veteran, but at the RB position it's overrated to need someone with experience. The Giants didn't have an issue giving 7th round pick Ahmad Bradshaw carries late in 07. Tashard Choice filled in for Dallas last year and there are plenty other examples of rookies getting PT.

At this point in FA, unsigned guys obviously aren't inking big deals. So it'll come down to finding the most desperate RB who the front office thinks can play. I'm not big on DeShaun Foster, who averaged 3.1 ypc with SF. Rhodes went for 3.5 ypc, but caught 45 passes. If he'd take veteran minimum I wouldn't worry about it.

What he said. :rolleyes:

I just looked at his stats and he'd be a great pickup regardless. While his YPC wasn't great (3.5 YPC), the dude had 9 TD's last year (6 rushing and 3 receiving, which is 8 more TD's than Taylor). And he caught 45 passes. How/why was this guy still out there?

Teams don't want to pay for an old guy who is only a goal line help. The Bills desperation move would only be as KTFBD has pointed out above. JMO

I certainly understand about a veteran, but at the RB position it's overrated to need someone with experience.

I disagree. A rookie can run, but you prefer a guy who has played at the NFL level and understands how to pick up the blitz, and do the other things a rookie may have trouble with. Nobody is looking at Rhodes to be a starter...but I'd prefer to have him in the bench than some 6th round pick, or even probably Omon.

But, I'm with you on what he is worth. Vet minimum, or ever so slightly more.

So the Bills best and deepest position in '08 will potentially be a huge hole to fill in the begining of '09. Great.

Huge hole? Exaggerate much? Minor hole, fairly easily filled...but it needs to be filled.

Teams don't want to pay for an old guy who is only a goal line help. The Bills desperation move would only be as KTFBD has pointed out above. JMO

What? Teams don't want to pay for a guy who can score 9 TD's, catch 45 passes, and who (I've recently learned) is good in pass protection? :rolleyes:

Maybe Rhodes wants too much money?

So the Bills best and deepest position in '08 will potentially be a huge hole to fill in the begining of '09. Great.

Send all thank you cards to Marshawn at One Bills Drive Buffalo, New York. :rolleyes:

What? Teams don't want to pay for a guy who can score 9 TD's, catch 45 passes, and who (I've recently learned) is good in pass protection? :censored:

Maybe Rhodes wants too much money?

I missed the 45 passes thing. :censored: