I Do not believe the Bills will pick TE Pettigrew

Kenwick

There have been a buch of recent Mock Drafts that have him available at the 42th pick. If he is there at 42, I think the Bills take him. They were not afraid of Hardy last year and Pettigrew is the type of TE the Bills say they want.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009/4/12/...-nfl-mock-draft

http://www.nfldraftsite.com/index.htm

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d...mp;confirm=true

(I did a quick google search so I would not get flamed, again, for saying Pettigrew could fall to the second round - most experts do have him going to either Philly or Atlanta in Round 1)

Assuming he is there, we would almost surely take him. But he won't be there. Not even close.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chase Coffman looks promising and he also comes from a very talented family, his Dad played TE for the Packers, both brothers play QB, even his sister Camille listed at 6' 3" is attending Wyoming on a full ride scholarship for volleyball.

The Kids got mad talent and could have the best set of hands in this years draft.

Can't block, though.

Guest dog14787
Can't block, though.

Chase Coffman is so dangerous as a pass catching TE he doesn't have to be the best blocker in the world because if you don't keep him tied up he will get away and then and you will be chasing Coffman all over the football field. :thumbsup:

Chase Coffman is so dangerous as a pass catching TE he doesn't have to be the best blocker in the world because if you don't keep him tied up he will get away and then and you will be chasing Coffman all over the football field. :thumbsup:

And on running plays he is a speed bump. Which makes him either a part-time player who plays only in passing situations (and is therefore a flashing red light "We're going to pass!!"), or else a liability on run plays.

Just IMHO, obviously, but the Bills have been talking about getting a recieving WR for 8 years now. They have had the opportunity to get one, over and over, and have always passed on guys who couldn't block. Always.

Guest dog14787
And on running plays he is a speed bump. Which makes him either a part-time player who either plays only in passing situations (and is therefore a flashing red light "We're going to pass!!"), or else a liability on run plays.

Just IMHO, obviously, but the Bills have been talking about getting a recieving WR for 8 years now. They have had the opportunity to get one, over and over, and have always passed on guys who couldn't block. Always.

The way I see it, with Coffman's huge height advantage and catching capabilities combined with TO, short and intermediate routes just became a huge problem for opposing defenses to defense against. TE's got one of the quickiest releases in the game and he's very accurate, give him good targets and he will probably start shredding defenses.

Taking blocking skills over receiving skills is a flawed way of thinking in my opinion. Having good hands is something you are born with, blocking can be taught. Chase Coffman is not built for blocking no more then Randy Moss is but with good coaching they can become sufficient at blocking.

Seriously though, he's an awesome receiving threat at that position. Recognized as the nation's best in winning the Mackey Award this past season. He has the size and hands that make him an intriguing prospect. I think he will become a better blocker if some one works with him on his technique. He seems to get too upright which allows him to become off balance and pushed backward or out of plays. I wouldn't be disappointed if he was our 3rd Round pick. But then again, will he last that long?
The way I see it, with Coffman's huge height advantage and catching capabilities combined with TO, short and intermediate routes just became a huge problem for opposing defenses to defense against. TE's got one of the quickiest releases in the game and he's very accurate, give him good targets and he will probably start shredding defenses.

Taking blocking skills over receiving skills is a flawed way of thinking in my opinion. Having good hands is something you are born with, blocking can be taught. Chase Coffman is not built for blocking no more then Randy Moss is but with good coaching they can become sufficient at blocking.

There's an echo in this thread :thumbsup:

You say "Taking blocking skills over receiving skills is a flawed way of thinking in my opinion." But I am not taking blocking skills over recieving skills. I am saying that BOTH are valuable, and a TE that can only do one or the other isn't much of a TE.

No offense, but blocking can't be taught. Not if you have been playing football for ten years or more and haven't already figured it out. The rudiments of blocking can be taught, of course, but they are basically simple. At the pro level, blocking is basically about two things:

1) Are you physically strong enough to do it?

2) Do you want to do it?

You have to love to do it. And if you are a TE who loves to block and is physically capable, you will have been playing in-line for years. There is a reason Coffman doesn't play in-line. The reason is that he is not a good blocker.

Over and over again we hear that blocking can be taught, and over and over again we discover that by the time they say that, it's too late. Coffman will essentially be a big WR.

You say "Taking blocking skills over receiving skills is a flawed way of thinking in my opinion." But I am not taking blocking skills over recieving skills. I am saying that BOTH are valuable, and a TE that can only do one or the other isn't much of a TE.

No offense, but blocking can't be taught. Not if you have been playing football for ten years or more and haven't already figured it out. The rudiments of blocking can be taught, of course, but they are basically simple. At the pro level, blocking is basically about two things:

2) Do you want to do it?

You have to love to do it. And if you are a TE who loves to block and is physically capable, you will have been playing in-line for years. There is a reason Coffman doesn't play in-line. The reason is that he is not a good blocker.

Over and over again we hear that blocking can be taught, and over and over again we discover that by the time they say that, it's too late. Coffman will essentially be a big WR.

Agreed on the two "things", but I think that blocking technique can be taught. All of these players who come into the NFL with "raw talent" are coached into being the player they become. Alot of players come in with good footwork, but bad technique in using their hands to get a good punch on the line of scrimmage or they don't keep the proper stance. The saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" doesn't apply to NFL players. These guys are coachable, if they want to be. There is a right, effective way to do things and there's a sloppy, ineffective way to do things. If some one works with a player who is willing to put in the work he can go from inefffective to effective for certain.

While I agree with the bulk of your post, the main reason Chase Coffman doesn't play in-line is because he plays in a spread offense that doesn't use an in-line TE. How often did Missouri use ANY TE in-line, last season?

I'm not saying Coffman will be a good blocking TE in the pros (it's one of the main concerns I have about him), but he could be a damn good blocker, and you wouldn't really have a chance to see it, with him playing in the Tigers' offense.

Not that this is a bad thing, but Coffman's strong suit would appear to be a guy who could move the chains and be a great red zone target. From what I have read, he is not a guy who can stretch the field and like most TE's in this draft who are good receivers, there are major questions about their ability to become good inline blockers.

this is who we should have gotten, per rotoworld:

Kellen Winslow's new contract with the Bucs is guaranteed for only two years.

Though it was billed as the largest contract ever for a tight end, Winslow is only set to earn $1.3M more over the next two years than his existing contract. He's scheduled to make $8.2M in year three of the deal, but it's only guaranteed for injury. Winslow would earn $20.1M in the first three years as opposed to Dallas Clark's $27.5M.

I think all of the TE's have their blocking in question, minus Pettigrew. Think about it. Jared Cook, James Casey, Chase Coffman, Cornelius Ingram, Travis Beckum, Shawn Nelson all have questions about whether they are an "every down" type of TE. Does it make Pettigrew worthy of #11? No because TE is not our GPN. We need a pass rushing DE or LB more than we need a TE, IMO. Pettigrew could surely be had in a trade down scenario as well if we pick before Atlanta.

2) Do you want to do it?

I just watched over the weekend on NFLN the top 10 TE's in the league and they commented on Tony Gonzo that at first he was a horrible blocker and really emerged into good if not great blocker. I haven watched Gonzo's career in a looking glass but ive always seen him as a pretty good blocker. From what they said on NFLN quoting Dick Vermeil, Mike Martz and a few others it seems that blocking can be taught, or at least improved on.

With that said, I still say Pettigrew is a much better talent.

I will bet my house that Pettigrew isn't there for us in round 2. And I'll mow the lawn beforehand...

Isn't that house already tied up in a bet or two?

I think all of the TE's have their blocking in question, minus Pettigrew. Think about it. Jared Cook, James Casey, Chase Coffman, Cornelius Ingram, Travis Beckum, Shawn Nelson all have questions about whether they are an "every down" type of TE. Does it make Pettigrew worthy of #11? No because TE is not our GPN. We need a pass rushing DE or LB more than we need a TE, IMO. Pettigrew could surely be had in a trade down scenario as well if we pick before Atlanta.

I fully agree - though I would also add OL to the list of needs that are higher than TE. Bottom line - why would we reach for Pettigrew at #11 when TE is not even in our top 3 list of needs? And no, he won't be there for our 2nd round pick (he likely won't reach the 2nd round period). Let's address our priority needs first, then take a TE with upside potential on day 2. With T.O., Evans, Reed, and Lynch/Jackson, we have plenty of receivers already.

Agreed on the two "things", but I think that blocking technique can be taught. All of these players who come into the NFL with "raw talent" are coached into being the player they become. Alot of players come in with good footwork, but bad technique in using their hands to get a good punch on the line of scrimmage or they don't keep the proper stance. The saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" doesn't apply to NFL players. These guys are coachable, if they want to be. There is a right, effective way to do things and there's a sloppy, ineffective way to do things. If some one works with a player who is willing to put in the work he can go from inefffective to effective for certain.

You can definitely improve a guy a bit, you're right. But you can't change a guy from a dog to a tiger.

While I agree with the bulk of your post, the main reason Chase Coffman doesn't play in-line is because he plays in a spread offense that doesn't use an in-line TE. How often did Missouri use ANY TE in-line, last season?

I'm not saying Coffman will be a good blocking TE in the pros (it's one of the main concerns I have about him), but he could be a damn good blocker, and you wouldn't really have a chance to see it, with him playing in the Tigers' offense.

Yeah, but if Pettigrew were on that team, do you think they would find times to use him as an in-line blocker? The talents of their tight end undoubtedly have a huge impact on what offense they run.