Interesting Scout Comments in PFW Pre-Draft Issue

Here are a bunch of scout comments on various players of TSW interest from PFW's pre-draft issue (not the same same as their draft mag). No link, 'cause you only have access if you subscribe or got their draft mag. So I typed some of them up, 'cause I thought they were interesting. They are anonymous, so take them for what they are worth, but it's nice to hear some unvarnished opinions. Some of them are surprising.

--

“Pettigrew is not fast, but neither is Jason Witten and all he does is get open. Do you think he would have lasted to the third round knowing what we do today? Pettigrew can block and he can catch and he will play a long time in the league. This guy can dominate when he wants to dominate.”

“We respect what Jared Cooks is – a vertical guy that can stretch the field and develop in the passing game – but he is a not a true tight end who is going to be able to play honestly on the line of scrimmage and block anyone. He can fly, no doubt. No one has better timed speed, but he does not play fast, and he is never going to play big in the run game. I don’t know how much he is going to be able to contribute right away.”

“Duke Robinson is a talented player. He is just lazy. I don’t like his worth ethic and mental stamina to be able to play and finish games. Weak-minded guys always struggle.”

“Herman Johnson is a monster. He is so naturally big he will find a place to play in the league. He has the body type you like at right tackle, but I don’t think he has enough quickness to survive outside.”

“All-star games should never hurt players as a rule of thumb, but I have a hard time getting over the way Max Unger struggled at the Senior Bowl. He got knocked around too much for my liking.”

“I liked Kraig Uribk better at tackle than I did at guard. He’s got the size and the feet to play outside. He looked more natural there to me. I thought he underachieved this year. You wish he played more nasty inside, but he does not show a lot of nastiness.”

“B.J. Raji is a dog. I hope he goes in the top 10. You show me one game he dominates.”

“I love Robert Ayers’ versatility. He can play on his feet – even if he is not great at it yet – and be like a rush linebacker. He can put his hand in the dirt and be a five-technique and rush off the edge. But he is a one-year starter that had 3 ½ sacks as a senior. His instincts are off. I’d love to have him, but at the right price. You can have him in the first round.”

“I wish we had a shot at Aaron Maybin. He’s the most athletic of the pass rushers in this draft. He is so athletic he can be anything you want him to be.”

“Tyson Jackson is the most versatile defensive end in the draft. He has been very durable. He’s not flashy, but he has started 3 ½ years in the Southeastern Conference. He will be a damn good pro.”

“I don’t know where you play Michael Johnson. He does not play the run well enough.”

“To me, the guy that was most disappointing was Rey Maualuga. He misses tackles, takes bad angles and then he will turn around and make a big hit. He will get better. He has impact value. But he reminds of The Boz. He was surrounded by a ton of talent on a great defense. It’s sick how much talent they have on that group. He really benefited from all the talent around him.”

“James Laurinaitis is very steady and had good inside slip quickness. He plays hard, but he’s not a great athlete, he’s not fast and he’s not a good take-on linebacker.”

“Larry English had eight sacks in the MAC conference. Put Brian Orakpo in there and he has 20. It’s all relative, but I have a hard time getting excited about English. Put on the Senior Bowl tape and show me what he does in one-on-one drills. He is just a guy.”

“I don’t care what the stopwatch says – Brian Cushing can run. That’s the last thing I’m worried about. Now everyone wants to compare him to Bobby Carpenter, but Carpenter never made a play on college film. He was a height-weight-speed tester with a daddy that played in the NFL. Cushing may not be great in coverage, but he can do it.”

“I was surprised at how tight Aaron Curry looked opening up his hips at his pro day . . . He has some tightness.”

“Brian Orakpo looked tight as a drum in his pro-day workout.”

--

Herman Johnson is going to be a Pro Bowler within 3 years IMO. He's Marcus McNeil, Version 2.0. Right before McNeil was drafted, everyone was worried the guy was just going to be "too big" for the NFL, even though in college he proved he could keep it under control. McNeil lasted until the 50th pick in Round 2 during the 2006 Draft, and all he's done since then is take home several All Pro and Pro Bowl awards.

What amazes me about Johnson is that people are complaining he's too big...to play Guard! I can understand the doubts if he was playing tackle like McNeil does (even though I've seen the guy play, he's got the talent to be a RT), but as a mauling guard you'd figure teams would love a guy his size there.

Whatever team takes Herman Johnson WILL be drafting the next stud Offensive Guard in the NFL.

Herman Johnson is going to be a Pro Bowler within 3 years IMO. He's Marcus McNeil, Version 2.0. Right before McNeil was drafted, everyone was worried the guy was just going to be "too big" for the NFL, even though in college he proved he could keep it under control. McNeil lasted until the 50th pick in Round 2 during the 2006 Draft, and all he's done since then is take home several All Pro and Pro Bowl awards.

What amazes me about Johnson is that people are complaining he's too big...to play Guard! I can understand the doubts if he was playing tackle like McNeil does (even though I've seen the guy play, he's got the talent to be a RT), but as a mauling guard you'd figure teams would love a guy his size there.

Whatever team takes Herman Johnson WILL be drafting the next stud Offensive Guard in the NFL.

I think QB's will have a hard time seeing over him.

Good take. I wouldn't mind picking him up in the 2nd or 3rd. The PFW draft mag says he was one of the biggest babies ever born in Louisiana - 15 pounds 14 ounces. My condolences to his mother's cervix.

Some interesting tidbits there.

It's interesting about Ayers, they're not high on him as a 1st rounder. Whereas Mike Mayock, who watches tons of tape and is all over the Senior Bowl and Combine, likes Ayers so much, he has him as his 5th best prospect overall.

Each scout sees different things and has different takes, so it's hard to know what to believe, you just sort of take it for what it's worth.

Here are a bunch of scout comments on various players of TSW interest from PFW's pre-draft issue (not the same same as their draft mag). No link, 'cause you only have access if you subscribe or got their draft mag. So I typed some of them up, 'cause I thought they were interesting. They are anonymous, so take them for what they are worth, but it's nice to hear some unvarnished opinions. Some of them are surprising.

“Pettigrew is not fast, but neither is Jason Witten and all he does is get open. Do you think he would have lasted to the third round knowing what we do today? Pettigrew can block and he can catch and he will play a long time in the league. This guy can dominate when he wants to dominate.”

“I wish we had a shot at Aaron Maybin. He’s the most athletic of the pass rushers in this draft. He is so athletic he can be anything you want him to be.”

“I don’t care what the stopwatch says – Brian Cushing can run. That’s the last thing I’m worried about. Now everyone wants to compare him to Bobby Carpenter, but Carpenter never made a play on college film. He was a height-weight-speed tester with a daddy that played in the NFL. Cushing may not be great in coverage, but he can do it.”

First off I would like to thank you for making the time and effort to share these insights with us. Based on some of these overviews it makes me think that Maybin is the pick for us. If the Bills have any reservations about him then I'd be satisfied if we got Brian Cushing. We need a good LB, especially with speed. I guess Tyson Jackson would be a good solid pick also. I could see him being an alternative for us if we didn't take Maybin. Thanks again.

Some interesting tidbits there.

It's interesting about Ayers, they're not high on him as a 1st rounder. Whereas Mike Mayock, who watches tons of tape and is all over the Senior Bowl and Combine, likes Ayers so much, he has him as his 5th best prospect overall.

Each scout sees different things and has different takes, so it's hard to know what to believe, you just sort of take it for what it's worth.

I don't know who actually made those comments so I won't put to much into them, I know Mike Mayock and his ability to see who has the potential to make an impact and who doesn't. So far Mayock has put his rep on the line for various players and he hasn't disappointed yet. He was touting guys like Jay Cutler and Joe Flacco long before Mel Kiper and Tod McShay,the so called ESPN draft guru's.

This draft Mike Mayock has stated that Robert Ayers will be the best defensive player out of this years draft in 3 years.He was talking about Ayers before most even had them on their mock drafts,and if they did it was in the second or third round. Now look, and most have him in the top 15 players.

PFW just hasn't been nearly the same since Joel Buschbaum has gone IMO. :flirt:

Jesus.....based on this stuff we might as well skip the draft

Singular anonymous quotes from singular anonymous scouts are interesting, but that's about the extent of it. It's one guy's opinion and there are several hundred scouts looking at these guys. We as fans have no idea if that opinion is consensus or outlier or anywhere in between. Guys like Ayers who have recently been shooting up draft charts are going to have all kinds of differing and even contradictory opinions on him.

Singular anonymous quotes from singular anonymous scouts are interesting, but that's about the extent of it. It's one guy's opinion and there are several hundred scouts looking at these guys. We as fans have no idea if that opinion is consensus or outlier or anywhere in between. Guys like Ayers who have recently been shooting up draft charts are going to have all kinds of differing and even contradictory opinions on him.

For sure. And even if the comments were consensus, that wouldn't make them right, as evidenced by all the busts and mis-drafts there are every year.

Just some stuff to add to the mix.

Myself, I'm increasingly sold on Pettigrew. Seems to have very low bust potential and will strengthen the offensive line and the intermediate passing game.

The comment about Maybin intrigued me, because it was so strong. Comments about him seem to be all over the place, so who knows?

The Raji comment was also strong (negatively). A lot of his positive hype seems to be coming from senior bowl practices. Anyone here watch a lot of BC during the year? If so, do you agree with the comment that he never dominated in actual games?

First off I would like to thank you for making the time and effort to share these insights with us. Based on some of these overviews it makes me think that Maybin is the pick for us. If the Bills have any reservations about him then I'd be satisfied if we got Brian Cushing. We need a good LB, especially with speed. I guess Tyson Jackson would be a good solid pick also. I could see him being an alternative for us if we didn't take Maybin. Thanks again.

No problem. I don't follow college ball, so I love reading pre-draft stuff (even if most of it turns out to be horseshite) and always appreciate it when people post it on the board.

Maybin is scary but intriguing for sure. Cushing and Jackson don't excite me too much, but it seems as though they are likely to be pretty solid players, so I wouldn't complain if either of them were the pick.

These quotes aren't from PFW staff (i.e., Nawrocki). They're from scouts. (Doesn't make them true, though, and I totally agree that Mayock seems to be the most reliable guy overall when you look at eventual pro performance. If Ralph hired him tomorrow to run the team, I'd be happy.)

For sure. And even if the comments were consensus, that wouldn't make them right, as evidenced by all the busts and mis-drafts there are every year.

Just some stuff to add to the mix.

Myself, I'm increasingly sold on Pettigrew. Seems to have very low bust potential and will strengthen the offensive line and the intermediate passing game.

The comment about Maybin intrigued me, because it was so strong. Comments about him seem to be all over the place, so who knows?

The Raji comment was also strong (negatively). A lot of his positive hype seems to be coming from senior bowl practices. Anyone here watch a lot of BC during the year? If so, do you agree with the comment that he never dominated in actual games?

I want Pettigrew, too. IF we can get a trade down. I wouldn't be pissed if we took him at 11 but I don't want us to have to. I have been screaming for a TE for ages, and half the plays are running plays. He's a monster. Put him next to Peters or Walker and we should be able to run wide. None of those other TEs are allegedly able to block. And Edwards is the kind of QB that can use a guy who allegedly plays like Witten, especially if we have TO and Evans, plus the array of other WRs and the backs. He could be VERY valuable moving the chains and in the red zone.

If Raji is there I think we should take him, but who the hell knows if he will pan out.

I'll keep saying it till I'm Red, White and Blue in the Face... :flirt: ...If The Bills take Maybin, Orakpo, or Ayers at #11 I'll be thrilled...I prefer Ayers, but I think any of those 3 would be a tremendous help to Our Defense...Even as Rookies... :blink:

I ws reading through the draft guides tonight and it ws surprising the lack of production of the some of the rookies from last year. Long, Dorsey, Gholston, and Harvey did not exactly dominate the league. I hope whomever we go after has big upside and will be able to help us more 2-3 years down the road. So much of it seems to be a crapshoot. You never know how a player is going to perform against better competition especially after signing a big rookie contract.

I ws reading through the draft guides tonight and it ws surprising the lack of production of the some of the rookies from last year. Long, Dorsey, Gholston, and Harvey did not exactly dominate the league. I hope whomever we go after has big upside and will be able to help us more 2-3 years down the road. So much of it seems to be a crapshoot. You never know how a player is going to perform against better competition especially after signing a big rookie contract.

And those guys are all DL (Gholston was). DL is a total roll of the dice in the draft. That's why as much as I'd like to see us grab a pass rusher in the 1st, I think it might be wiser to go for Pettigrew or one of the offensive linemen. Safer picks. Then maybe take a run at a pass rusher in the 2nd.

First off: excellent post. Something with actual substance.

Secondly, in regard to Marcus McNeil, his size may have been a concern, but it was not the main thing that kept him out of the first round. If I recall correctly teams were worried that he had some type of back problem that might be a nagging thing.

The Chargers, knowing talent when they saw it, were smart and took a chance on him.

I don't know who actually made those comments so I won't put to much into them, I know Mike Mayock and his ability to see who has the potential to make an impact and who doesn't. So far Mayock has put his rep on the line for various players and he hasn't disappointed yet. He was touting guys like Jay Cutler and Joe Flacco long before Mel Kiper and Tod McShay,the so called ESPN draft guru's.

This draft Mike Mayock has stated that Robert Ayers will be the best defensive player out of this years draft in 3 years.He was talking about Ayers before most even had them on their mock drafts,and if they did it was in the second or third round. Now look, and most have him in the top 15 players.

I like Mayock. He's one of the three or four best out there. But he has made mistakes. All of them have.

About Ayers, I think he's not going to pressure the QB a lot, though he may be a very good overall DE.

But the Bills don't need a DE. They already have enough pro-starter quality DEs. What they simply don't have is a pass rush, and since one of the best ways to get one is with a DE, that's why people are calling for DEs. But a DE who is not a great rusher doesn't fill any Bills need.

IMHO, obviously, but our desperate need for pressure isn't an opinion, it's a fact.

I can appreciate your take on the safe pick but at #11 I think that we got to take the shot at a pass rusher. Hopefully our boys have done their homework and pick the right one.

No problem. I don't follow college ball, so I love reading pre-draft stuff (even if most of it turns out to be horseshite) and always appreciate it when people post it on the board.

Maybin is scary but intriguing for sure. Cushing and Jackson don't excite me too much, but it seems as though they are likely to be pretty solid players, so I wouldn't complain if either of them were the pick.

Everything you just said here is exactly my sentiments.

I'd like to add DT Alan Branch's name to that list from 2 drafts ago. I just read where he has to step forward this year or he'll start to be considered a bust pick. I think that he will answer the challenge and produce this year, it seems that he has the right attitude.

And those guys are all DL (Gholston was). DL is a total roll of the dice in the draft. That's why as much as I'd like to see us grab a pass rusher in the 1st, I think it might be wiser to go for Pettigrew or one of the offensive linemen. Safer picks. Then maybe take a run at a pass rusher in the 2nd.

Once again good points but if anything happens to Schobel and Kelsay and/or they just don't produce, you'll be sorry for not taking a DE when we had one of the first opportunities to do so.

One other thing, people talk about Philly and Atlanta taking Pettigrew with their 1st pick (#21 & #24) but now that Denver has a second 1st rder then why wouldn't they at #18?

First off: excellent post. Something with actual substance.

Secondly, in regard to Marcus McNeil, his size may have been a concern, but it was not the main thing that kept him out of the first round. If I recall correctly teams were worried that he had some type of back problem that might be a nagging thing.

The Chargers, knowing talent when they saw it, were smart and took a chance on him.

Spinal cord stenous

I'm hoping that the Bills take either Robert Ayers or Tyson Jackson IF they go defense. I'd say take the "Rack" but he will be gone by 11th pick most certainly. I'm really fed up with the Bills inability to stop the run.

Maybin scares me with his recent weight gains, 25 lbs of muscle in 3 months just doesn't sound normal to me. Dunno,maybe its normal to Barry Bonds though.

From scout.com http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&amp...rc=4&pid=23

Rank Rating Name Yr Ht/Wt/40 College Home

DE 1 Everette Brown JR 6-4/250/- Florida State Wilson, NC

DE 2 Brian Orakpo SR 6-4/260/- Texas Houston, TX

DE 3 Tyson Jackson SR 6-5/290/- LSU Edgard, LA

DE 4 Aaron Maybin SO 6-4/248/- Penn State Ellicott City, MD

DE 5 Robert Ayers SR 6-3/270/- Tennessee Bennettsville, SC

DE 6 Michael Johnson SR 6-7/260/- Georgia Tech Plantersville, AL

DE 7 Connor Barwin SR 6-3/253/- Cincinnati Detroit, MI

DE 8 Paul Kruger SO 6-5/265/- Utah Orem, UT

DE 9 Jarron Gilbert SR 6-5/280/- San Jose State Chino, CA

DE 10 David Veikune SR 6-2/255/- Hawaii Ewa Beach, HI

DE 11 Lawrence Sidbury SR 6-2/267/- Richmond Oxon Hill, MD

DE 12 Matt Shaughnessy SR 6-6/253/- Wisconsin Norwich, CT

DE 13 Brandon Williams JR 6-3/243/- Texas Tech Fort Worth, TX

DE 14 Tim Jamison SR 6-3/265/- Michigan Harvey, IL

DE 15 Kyle Moore SR 6-5/265/- USC Warner Robins, GA

I have no Idea as to why they have Everette Brown at #1, I hear he can only rush the passer and can't do much of anything else.

I'm hoping that the Bills take either Robert Ayers or Tyson Jackson IF they go defense. I'd say take the "Rack" but he will be gone by 11th pick most certainly. I'm really fed up with the Bills inability to stop the run.

Maybin scares me with his recent weight gains, 25 lbs of muscle in 3 months just doesn't sound normal to me. Dunno,maybe its normal to Barry Bonds though.

From scout.com http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&amp...rc=4&pid=23

Rank Rating Name Yr Ht/Wt/40 College Home

DE 1 Everette Brown JR 6-4/250/- Florida State Wilson, NC

DE 2 Brian Orakpo SR 6-4/260/- Texas Houston, TX

DE 3 Tyson Jackson SR 6-5/290/- LSU Edgard, LA

DE 4 Aaron Maybin SO 6-4/248/- Penn State Ellicott City, MD

DE 5 Robert Ayers SR 6-3/270/- Tennessee Bennettsville, SC

DE 6 Michael Johnson SR 6-7/260/- Georgia Tech Plantersville, AL

DE 7 Connor Barwin SR 6-3/253/- Cincinnati Detroit, MI

DE 8 Paul Kruger SO 6-5/265/- Utah Orem, UT

DE 9 Jarron Gilbert SR 6-5/280/- San Jose State Chino, CA

DE 10 David Veikune SR 6-2/255/- Hawaii Ewa Beach, HI

DE 11 Lawrence Sidbury SR 6-2/267/- Richmond Oxon Hill, MD

DE 12 Matt Shaughnessy SR 6-6/253/- Wisconsin Norwich, CT

DE 13 Brandon Williams JR 6-3/243/- Texas Tech Fort Worth, TX

DE 14 Tim Jamison SR 6-3/265/- Michigan Harvey, IL

DE 15 Kyle Moore SR 6-5/265/- USC Warner Robins, GA

I have no Idea as to why they have Everette Brown at #1, I hear he can only rush the passer and can't do much of anything else.

My question is why didn't any of the anonymous scouts mention Everette Brown in their observations?