Whitner arrested in Cleveland

Beerball

At exclusive establishments where celebrities and athletes hang out, it's not uncommon for them to have off-duty officers on security detail.

True. But in the heat of the moment, what obligation do they have to say 'I have a badge' as opposed to the typical nuckle dragger working security -- who without the tin is fair game, IMO, when push come to shove?.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At exclusive establishments where celebrities and athletes hang out, it's not uncommon for them to have off-duty officers on security detail.

Very true. Although I don't know how "exclusive" one would call The House of Blues, unless the whole place was rented out for Ginn's birthday party and the general public wasn't allowed in.

That said, while I am not taking the cops or Whitner's side on this, professional football players who are used to violence do not take kindly to anyone grabbing them forcefully. Hell, any 23 year old doesn't. It could easily have been that Whitner was a punk and should never have been doing that. It could just as easily have been an off duty cop bear hugging him from behind and not allowing him to get to his friends who were in a fight and Whitner going ballistic because he was being manhandled. Chances are he didn't know it was a cop if the guy was off duty and just being a security guy.

A lot has to come out before we know whether he was stupid or REALLY stupid, aka criminally stupid.

True. But in the heat of the moment, what obligation do they have to say 'I have a badge' as opposed to the typical nuckle dragger working security -- who without the tin is fair game, IMO, when push come to shove?.

Plain clothes is fair game. If someone in plain clothes at a bar tried to put me in a half-nelson, I would yoke them up. What do you think an NFL caliber athelete is going to do? We aren't talking about pencil-necked nerds that an off duty cop can scold into submission.

It's not as though I assume NFL players are thugs. I assumed Whitner was a guy I wouldn't hear about in this way due to his leadership role on the team. Guys like that generally aren't assuming fighting stances at 3:00 AM. I'm surprised by this.

Don't taze me bro

99.9%?

that's total pollyanna bull sh--. police work is thankless, low paying, and not very selective. you don't get graduates from top schools becoming cops. you don't get the best and brightest doing it. it doesn't pay much. it is shtty shtty work. as a cop you have to enforce plenty of stupid laws that exist as a cash grab (traffic tickets, parking crap) and victimless crimes (drugs, alcohol, prostitution).

do you really think that 99.9% of people who have that job are just saints? that's the only people who would do it without wanting to go on power trips, be crooked, or are action junkies. further more do you think that after a few years rolling in the much of the underclass of society a cop won't get jaded and angry?

sure there are good cops, but cops are selected from an above average or elite cut of society, and they don't exactly associate with the best and the brightest, so why do so many people assume that cops are better than average?

I am a member of law enforcement. They are very selective-the background check is hell, uncomfortable and usually takes 6 months to complete, and while the job wont make you rich 100 grand a year if you are willing to take overtime is very possible. Hell State Troopers start at 90 grand a year. While you wont find anyone who attended Harvard almost all hires in the past 6-8 years have atleast a two year degree.While it often can be crappy work environment a certain pride goes with it. I stand by my comment of 99.9 percent of cops being good. No they arent all saints, but they dont take advantage of their authority. Are there bad cops yes but it is a very low percentage.

It's interesting that there were so many off duty officers involved in this 'melee,' including the guy who tasered Whitner. I wonder how many of them made it know they were sworn officers, as opposed to run of the mill bar security?

Alot of peace/police officers work security for bars/clubs and concerts. It is one of the perks, always a part time job.

I am a member of law enforcement. They are very selective-the background check is hell, uncomfortable and usually takes 6 months to complete, and while the job wont make you rich 100 grand a year if you are willing to take overtime is very possible. Hell State Troopers start at 90 grand a year. While you wont find anyone who attended Harvard almost all hires in the past 6-8 years have atleast a two year degree.While it often can be crappy work environment a certain pride goes with it. I stand by my comment of 99.9 percent of cops being good. No they arent all saints, but they dont take advantage of their authority. Are there bad cops yes but it is a very low percentage.

Odd, but regional difference may make a difference. I would say it was something like 60/70% good (factoring in general incompetence and corruption) cops in the Memphis/North MS area.

It's pointless for Whitner to sue. Cops will be lining up to testify against him. Not to mention a waste of money and time. Reward isn't that big. They would only compensate him with a win if he were somehow injured.

What I don't understand is how he allegedly threatened to sue when leaving jail but his official statement is apologetic and takes ownership over the event.

Which news source is correct?

Alot of peace/police officers work security for bars/clubs and concerts. It is one of the perks, always a part time job.

Do they work in full uniform, or (in the case of bars) are they plain clothes? I'm interested in knowing how the public (in this case, Whitner, but it applies to anyone) is supposed to know a security guy is a sworn officer, and hence an 'untouchable,' if the guy doesn't happen to be in uniform.

You sound pretty ignorant. Believe it or not having a degree from a "top university" is not a requirement for being a good person. Their are also lots of people in this country who are quite intelligent, who make less than what a cop makes. You act as though, only the best get to go to college. Talk about a warped sense of reality. I bet you think the military is only made up of mongoloids and losers of society. Why do some people associate intelligence and values, with degrees and paychecks? A cops job is to serve and protect. I'm sorry you think drug trafficking and prostitution are stupid. The main reason why being a cop is tough, is because people like you are constantly putting them down. What other low paying professions are made up of losers? What is the salary cutoff, where the average employee is intelligent? How much do I need to make, to know that my average co-worker isn't a scumbag? You know their are more people in this country who do shtty work, than not.

i am far from ignorant.

to explain simple logic and the english language to you: i didn't say one has to have a degree from a good school or make a large amount of money to be smart, but CLEARLY given a large group of people in a profession (like say police work) not attracting top graduates from top schools or paying high salaries will result in not employing the best qualified and ambitious people in large numbers. if you offer people a bad wage for hard work dealing with the bottom of society you will eliminate the vast majority of good candidates.

you just can't get over your homoerotic hero worship of men in uniform. cops are just people who have a particular job. so are soldiers. they aren't righteous or better than anyone just because they do a job that (when done right) is an important part of civil society, and they are likely to succumb to all the usual sins and temptations, and those are particularly likely to affect police who have to make difficult decisions in high risk situations.

these people are simply not the best and brightest. we live in a capitalist society and money and status count in a very very big way. and no sht more people than not do bad work, most people are below average and don't put the effort in, or have the acumen to succeed.

just look at how fat uneducated and lazy the average person around you is. if you have people that can't learn a foreign language or even speak their native one correctly, do you really think they will succeed in high pressure situations and not cut corners and skimp on due diligence?

you are aware that in some cities the desire to find police recruits outstrips those willing to do the job so they actually do have new cops who have criminal histories, correct?

http://www.policeone.com/legal/articles/17...r-new-recruits/

this is happening in a large number of american cities.

police are unionized civil servants and have a bunker mentality against anyone trying to discipline them or regulate their behavior. cops may join with the best of intentions, but years of dealing with societies run off will bring out the worst in most people.

Odd, but regional difference may make a difference. I would say it was something like 60/70% good

That sounds about right to me. I still have a problem with officers of the law being allowed to lie when questioning people. Is that standard operating procedure?

That sounds about right to me. I still have a problem with officers of the law being allowed to lie when questioning people. Is that standard operating procedure?

No it certainly isn't the standard but I will tell you that it's been used time and time again to get murderers and child rapists to admit the horrific acts that they have committed.