Whitner arrested in Cleveland

Beerball

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/04/fo...otball_pla.html

CLEVELAND -- Buffalo Bills defensive back and former Ohio State star Donte Whitner was tasered and arrested early this morning following a birthday celebration at the House of Blues, police said.

Whitner, 23, remains in City Jail. He has not been formally charged but was arrested for aggravated disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, police Lt. Thomas Stacho said.

Whitner is believed to have been at the House of Blues celebrating the birthday of Ted Ginn Jr., a wide receiver for the Miami Dolphins. Whitner and Ginn played together both at Glenville High School, where Ginn's father is the football coach, and at Ohio State.

Stacho gave the following description of Whitner's arrest:

Several fights broke out at the House of Blues and police who arrived around 3 a.m. found a near riot. Police tried to control the crowd and told Whitner to stay back. He then aggressively forced his way past police. When officers restrained him, Whitner broke free and took a fighting stance, police said.

That's when police tasered Whitner and then handcuffed him.

also, not his first arrest since he's been a Bill

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2655686

Was he convicted of anything? Because he wasn't, whats the point of this? I'm not gonna pretend I was there, but there is a lot more to the story. People lie. Cops have quotas to fill. Again, I have no idea waht happened but neither do you. So IMO, it is stupid to bring up something that wasn't pursued in a court of law.

Was he convicted of anything? Because he wasn't, whats the point of this? I'm not gonna pretend I was there, but there is a lot more to the story. People lie. Cops have quotas to fill. Again, I have no idea waht happened but neither do you. So IMO, it is stupid to bring up something that wasn't pursued in a court of law.

Never said he was convicted. Just pointed out that he had been arrested previously.

From what I recall, his girlfriend refused to press charges.

CLEVELAND -- Buffalo Bills defensive back and former Ohio State star Donte Whitner was tasered and arrested early this morning following a birthday celebration at the House of Blues, police said.

Whitner, 23, remains in City Jail. He has not been formally charged but was arrested for aggravated disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, police Lt. Thomas Stacho said.

Whitner is believed to have been at the House of Blues celebrating the birthday of Ted Ginn Jr., a wide receiver for the Miami Dolphins. Whitner and Ginn played together both at Glenville High School, where Ginn's father is the football coach, and at Ohio State.

Several fights broke out at the House of Blues and police who arrived around 3 a.m. found a near riot. Police tried to control the crowd and told Whitner to stay back. He then aggressively forced his way past police. When officers restrained him, Whitner broke free and took a fighting stance, police said.

Must have be a hell of a party. I hope there is more to this story, but I'll admit, it looks pretty dumb.

Side note, but I don't think I have ever gone out and ended up in a fight. Maybe because I have decent size but I just was more interested in talking to girls and having a good time. Drunk fighting is one of the dumbest thigns you could do and nothing good comes out of it.

Ed Belfour :thumbdown:

Matt Jones comes to mind as well.

Is there any NFL team at this point that doesn't have someone getting in some kind of trouble? When did all of this nonsense start with players in the league? Eugene Robinson at the 1999 Super Bowl, or earlier?

Not excusing Whitner, but it seems like drafting for character has the same success rate as drafting for talent. It's hit or miss. When Whitner and Lynch came in here, they were billed as good guys. Recent incidents obviously cast doubt.

The Bills thought they have someone who won't bring negative attention, but were wrong. Just like they thought Mike Williams would be a top OT.

Happy Birthday Ted! You humiliated me last year on the field, and now I'm going to act like an idiot at your party and get tasered. LOL!

Matt Jones comes to mind as well.

Is there any NFL team at this point that doesn't have someone getting in some kind of trouble? When did all of this nonsense start with players in the league? Eugene Robinson at the 1999 Super Bowl, or earlier?

Not excusing Whitner, but it seems like drafting for character has the same success rate as drafting for talent. It's hit or miss. When Whitner and Lynch came in here, they were billed as good guys. Recent incidents obviously cast doubt.

The Bills thought they have someone who won't bring negative attention, but were wrong. Just like they thought Mike Williams would be a top OT.

This is the thing. I know people like to assume NFL players are thugs, but 90% of them don't get in trouble. They are a microcosm of society and guess what happens in society? People get arrested. But unlike a regular Joe, athletes in trouble are the lead story on Sportscenter and on the sports page.

This is the thing. I know people like to assume NFL players are thugs, but 90% of them don't get in trouble. They are a microcosm of society and guess what happens in society? People get arrested. But unlike a regular Joe, athletes in trouble are the lead story on Sportscenter and on the sports page.

Very good point. Your average NFL player isn't out in the public acting like an idiot. I'm curious how many of these guys get away with this crap, though. The NFL has a product to protect and it's beginning to get ridiculous. I was going to start an offseason arrest contest. I didn't because I thought it would offend others. We would have multiple winners. :thumbdown:

I am not sure what that means. But i can tell you Barack would never put himself in that position.

A he would not associate with people that would put him inthat scenario.

B he has enough intelligence to understand what he could loose by doing so.

Oh and i am not a Barack man by any means. But intelligence and stupidty transcend color. When some people decide to let the history be history, then all racism can stop. By both black and white. And yes it is that simple, and yes it is that hard.

Idk if you understand racism still exists today...it'll never just go away...that's like saying rape will just go away...you live in your little world and we will live in the real one

like entourage deja vu.......all these athletes have to deal with this, especially the young single guys.....they go out with their childhood freinds......they have all the money......they start drinking....attract all the honey's and attention......having fun and dont wanna leave......childhood freinds get in a scuffle and athlete backs up his buddy best he can......unless they stay home, this will keep happening.

this will not result in a league suspension.

Idk if you understand racism still exists today...it'll never just go away...that's like saying rape will just go away...you live in your little world and we will live in the real one

While that is true, a rape does not take place everytime people have sex.

I see your point, but I think it's overly assumed alot. I have been pulled over numerous times as a young white male. Is it because I'm young? Maybe. Should I act disrespectful towards a police officer because I suspect he has tageted me? I also have been pulled over by a black cop, who I felt got his rocks off by degrading what he deems to be a spoiled white boy. I grew up far from spoiled, should I have made a scene? My point is, life is not always fair, don't compound problems by acting like an idiot. It seems like public opinon is just as quick to judge the cops as they are a black man, IMO. It has gotten to the point where every situation is looked at from a race standpoint. Is it ever going to end? Why do these integrated police forces, only target black males? Why was this cop assumed to be white? Why is it that racial targeting is just assumed? You have hundreds of camera phones walking out of the club, and everyone wants to get over on a cop. You would think this hate crime would have been documented.

+1 I'm only 20 and I've already had my fair share of run-ins with the police/officers... but i'm always been respectful..yes sir no sir yes officer..no officer and you know what they let you off with warnings as a rule...just show them some respect. I've had friends who feel the need to mouth off and they end up in the county jail overnight. The officers are in the position of power..seems like people have a hard time remembering that.

Are you sure it is a misdemeanor? I think it is just a violation.

Disorderly conduct is a violation in NY State Law.

Aggravated disorderly conduct is a Class A Misdemeanor.

Now, what constitutes "aggravated" is up to the police officer and judges. Honestly, if the club was that crazy as described in the report, its going to be hard to prove that Donte took a "fighting stance" to any judge. So odds are it'll just come down to a violation.

This is all under NY state law of course and could hold no bearing since it happened in Ohio.

While that is true, a rape does not take place everytime people have sex.

And every white person who runs into a black person isn't racist so I don't get why you make that point...I'm white..i have black friends..not racist

your point makes it seem like you think every black/white encounter is racist