I met Tom Modrak at LAX

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week, I met Tom Modrak at a bar in LAX. We talked draft and overall personnel for about 15 minutes, it was pretty cool. I actually got to talking with him and his coworker because I noticed they were looking at TSW on their laptop!

Anyway, no major insight gleaned, he was very nice and more than happy to talk Bills with me. They were at the USC pro day and on their way to the Oregon pro day. When I said they must be looking at Max Unger, he said, "You're good." He wouldn't really answer any of my questions directly, like "who's the first round pick going to be," but they asked what I thought and agreed with me that a) the d-line absolutely needs to be addressed and b) Keith Ellison, while a fine backup, is not starting LB material.

He told me that Steve Johnson and Demetrius Bell were two guys to look out for in the future, and that he hopes TO's time here won't sap too much PT for Johnson. He said that, if the Bills were to trade Peters, it would probably be for a "first and then some," depending on which first-rounder they got in return. He also said that Chris Ellis is going to have to step it up a level if he wants to be a real factor on this team. Anyway, just thought I'd share this with you guys.

The interesting tidbit here is Max Unger. In a trade down scenario with Peters not resolved Unger makes a lot of sense. He plays every line position and his eventual home may be LT.

I'm surprised at how many people in this thread so far have bought into the OP's bullsh!t. Modrak was checking out TSW on his laptop :rolleyes: ?

Actually, that makes me MORE likely to believe the rest of the story. Just sayin'.

The interesting tidbit here is Max Unger. In a trade down scenario with Peters not resolved Unger makes a lot of sense. He plays every line position and his eventual home may be LT.

This is consistent with what Modrak said in his interview about liking line prospects who had experience at >1 position. Unger is one of them.

Last week, I met Tom Modrak at a bar in LAX. We talked draft and overall personnel for about 15 minutes, it was pretty cool. I actually got to talking with him and his coworker because I noticed they were looking at TSW on their laptop!

Anyway, no major insight gleaned, he was very nice and more than happy to talk Bills with me. They were at the USC pro day and on their way to the Oregon pro day. When I said they must be looking at Max Unger, he said, "You're good." He wouldn't really answer any of my questions directly, like "who's the first round pick going to be," but they asked what I thought and agreed with me that a) the d-line absolutely needs to be addressed and b) Keith Ellison, while a fine backup, is not starting LB material.

He told me that Steve Johnson and Demetrius Bell were two guys to look out for in the future, and that he hopes TO's time here won't sap too much PT for Johnson. He said that, if the Bills were to trade Peters, it would probably be for a "first and then some," depending on which first-rounder they got in return. He also said that Chris Ellis is going to have to step it up a level if he wants to be a real factor on this team. Anyway, just thought I'd share this with you guys.

Thanks!!

WHAT is TSW?

Maybe he was looking at Trade Show World? Looking for a new job?

The Stadium Wall

And yes, we knew that the front office was aware of this site long before Scott Berchtold and our own Aussiew arranged a meet-and-greet with Tom Donahoe at a 2005 road game.

So while I wouldn't guarantee that Modrak lurks here, it wouldn't shock me in the least to think that he might drop by from time to time. Now whether he would (or should) take anything he reads here seriously ...

You know my mother's aunt's brother's uncle's son's girlfriend's brother-in-law from a first marriage ran into Jason Peters in Philly yesterday and had cheesesteaks with him at Pat's. He said Peters was in town looking at houses, was a nice enough fellow and that Andy Reid had him bring 360 hot wings down.

Apparently Peters said he likes cheesesteaks "way more" than wings and that's why he wants the trade to the Eagles to go through. He's also a big fan of Rice-a-Roni, so the Niners are another possible trade partner. ... This is a true story, the guy has Peters' DNA on a can of cheese whiz :rolleyes: .

You know my mother's aunt's brother's uncle's son's girlfriend's brother-in-law from a first marriage ran into Jason Peters in Philly yesterday and had cheesesteaks with him at Pat's. He said Peters was in town looking at houses, was a nice enough fellow and that Andy Reid had him bring 360 hot wings down.

Apparently Peters said he likes cheesesteaks "way more" than wings and that's why he wants the trade to the Eagles to go through. He's also a big fan of Rice-a-Roni, so the Niners are another possible trade partner. ... This is a true story, the guy has Peters' DNA on a can of cheese whiz :rolleyes: .

:blink:

LOL, wow, I think this is my first successful topic!

Anyway, no I am not bulls---ing anybody, this really happened. Modrak wasn’t intently reading every post on The Stadium Wall. Rather, his coworker was going through the blogroll, so to speak, and when I looked up at his computer, he was on TBD, then he clicked on TSW, gave it a once over, and moved on to another NFL website- I’m not sure which, because at that moment I started to talk to them, seeing as how we have such an elite fraternity here, I thought he was a TSW poster. After I asked if they were Bills fans, Modrak said, “We actually work for the Bills.” After a little bit more conversation, the coworker was reading an article about the USC pro day and said to Modrak, “They didn’t mention your name.” I then surmised that I was talking to Modrak, since he was older and was well-known enough to expect to be mentioned by name in an article. I think he was most surprised that I was able to guess who he was before he introduced himself.

Thoner7- I did ask how one goes about getting into the business, and his coworker told me his uncle is Rusty Jones, who was able to get him an internship with the Bills after he earned his business degree, and he’s just stayed on ever since. I guess having a connection in football goes a long way.

It was pretty cool for me, since this is the first Bills guy I’ve ever met- I've never met a player or someone with the team before- and I love talking draft, like many of you, so it was so awesome to talk to a guy that is planning the draft. I was most encouraged to hear that he agreed with me that the DLine really needs work. Also, I told him to NOT take a DB with the first pick- he laughed and said something along the lines of “We’ll see who’s available” but that he likes our DB depth.

I'm surprised at how many people in this thread so far have bought into the OP's bullsh!t. Modrak was checking out TSW on his laptop :rolleyes: ?

McKinley'sBlessing:

Never underestimate the narcissistic tendency of this place.

Expect some negative responses to your post from the most delusional in the crew who think

TBD is must reading by all the GM's and scouts in the league. Yikes!

I can prove I am not lying. If someone can tell me how, I will post a .jpg of his business card, which he gave me.

After which, you will promptly receive the "It's Photoshopped" accusations.

Some people will believe it. Some won't. I wouldn't get yourself too worked up over it.