Great NFL Book

Heitz

Has anyone else read this?

Great book by NPR Marketplace voice Stefan Fatsis. He joins the Denver Broncos as a kicker in training camp as a kicker and sheds a lot of insight into what it means to be an NFL player, how success and failure are defined by players and how demanding management is.

Reading it made me realize just how little many of the "experts" on this board really know. Life in the NFL, plays on the field and wins and losses are not always what they seem.

I highly recommend this one for any fan of the NFL...

OUI is my favorite book, every month.

I'm shocked - Oui for a classy guy like you Skoob...

Forgot to mention in my original post, this book is also a good glimpse at Shanahan (for those clammoring for him) and his dictator style. I know that people hate Jauron's rep as a "players coach", but after reading this book I'm not convinced the overlord style is the right one either.

They don't appreciate what we had to go through. <_<

Exactly! I tell that story all the time which totally dates me (unlike my gray hair). We were happy to steal a playboy or watch Porky's to see some muff, now kids look at stuff that I didn't even realize was possible. lol.

Back on the book subject (and just as far off topic) I also picked up the book Buffalo Lockjaw this weekend. Really enjoyable and TONS of Buffalo and Bills references, another one worth reading...

Great book by NPR Marketplace voice Stefan Fatsis. He joins the Denver Broncos as a kicker in training camp as a kicker and sheds a lot of insight into what it means to be an NFL player, how success and failure are defined by players and how demanding management is.

Reading it made me realize just how little many of the "experts" on this board really know. Life in the NFL, plays on the field and wins and losses are not always what they seem.

I just finished the book--really a great read. As you said, it really belies fans' view of the game.

I also liked how Fatsis (rightfully so) ripped the NFL for reasons re. his pre-season experience (which I won't divulge so as not to spoil parts of the book).

Exactly - the plain brown wrapper, the musty smell, the "stuck together" pages......

Ah, memories.

Trying to find a place to hide your skin mags so mom wouldn't find them. Like me, 99% of kids just hid them under the mattress, thinking it was the best spot in the world. Dumbasses.

Trying to find a place to hide your skin mags so mom wouldn't find them. Like me, 99% of kids just hid them under the mattress, thinking it was the best spot in the world. Dumbasses.

I outsmarted mom (at least for a while). I put them in my magazine rack in between my Sports Illustrateds.

Read it a few months ago. It's interesting how they really beat up on Sheffler initially, but he turned out well. But I disagree completely re: Shanny vs. DJ. Shanahan had a successful offensive system and he had specific expectations for his players. DJ has neither. This is a business and he ran it well, except that he neglected the part where you build a quality D.

A better read is "Boys Will Be Boys". Read especially the part dealing with the Boys v. the Bills in SB. The Bills were completely psychologically abused Dallas. Check out the scene where Talley gets decked in a bar as Kelly just stands there. SB goes to Cowboys.

Read it a few months ago. It's interesting how they really beat up on Sheffler initially, but he turned out well. But I disagree completely re: Shanny vs. DJ. Shanahan had a successful offensive system and he had specific expectations for his players. DJ has neither. This is a business and he ran it well, except that he neglected the part where you build a quality D.

A better read is "Boys Will Be Boys". Read especially the part dealing with the Boys v. the Bills in SB. The Bills were completely psychologically abused Dallas. Check out the scene where Talley gets decked in a bar as Kelly just stands there. SB goes to Cowboys.

I'll definitely check out Boys Will Be Boys - just put it on my list.

I just finished up "Buffalo Lockjaw" about a son that goes back to Buffalo to see his mother who is in a home with Alzheimer's. Great story and an awesome job of setting the scene in Buffalo; the author weaves in interviews of people on the street recorded in the 90's. http://www.buffalolockjaw.com/

Yet another topic on the "main board" that has nothing to do with the Buffalo Bills. Not that I care, becuase it sounds like an interesting book to read. However, when I posted a topic on the revered "main board" not directly related to the Buffalo Bills, but related to some of the arrogant fans posting on this board, more then a few got defensive and flamed me for posting a "non-Bills topic" on the main board.

So I see that the unofficial "rule" is that you can post non-Bills related topics on the main board, as long as your non bills-related topics are accepted by the defensive "all-pro" posters out here. B-):beer::wallbash:

Yet another topic on the "main board" that has nothing to do with the Buffalo Bills. Not that I care, becuase it sounds like an interesting book to read. However, when I posted a topic on the revered "main board" not directly related to the Buffalo Bills, but related to some of the arrogant fans posting on this board, more then a few got defensive and flamed me for posting a "non-Bills topic" on the main board.

So I see that the unofficial "rule" is that you can post non-Bills related topics on the main board, as long as your non bills-related topics are accepted by the defensive "all-pro" posters out here. B-):beer::wallbash:

Whine much?

We bend the rules for Heitz because of the 'cooler incident'.

We bend the rules for Heitz because of the 'cooler incident'.

The replacement was one of the best gifts ever...

Besides, both of my posts were at least *related* to the Bills. The first book has a lot of Shanny who has been talked about on the board and the second has a classic Bills story that EVERY fan will relate too!

One of these for all: B-)

So I see that the unofficial "rule" is that you can post non-Bills related topics on the main board, as long as your non bills-related topics are accepted by the defensive "all-pro" posters out here. :beer::wallbash:<_<

B-)

Or maybe it has to do with football? Wow, what a reach huh?