Mayock Comparing Mark Sanchez to Matt Ryan

H2o

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/01/sanchez-tu...-solid-pro-day/

"I think he showed better arm strength than people generally give him,” NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said. “He’s not Stafford, he’s not [Kansas State's Josh] Freeman; but his arm is every bit as good as Matt Ryan’s. And as Matt Ryan showed this year, when you’re accurate and you show good anticipation, a good arm is good enough. That’s what Matt is, and that’s what Mark Sanchez is. What he showed is consistency.”

I will go out on a limb here and say that 5 years from now we will be saying Sanchez was the best QB from this draft...just a hunch...he throws a real good ball

I will go on a limb and say the exact opposite. One year wonder, past USC QBs (besides Palmer, who has only had one really good year) lack of success, weak defensive conference, plays with all blue chips, in perfect weather, in a perfect offensive system.

Ryan was a 4 year starter in Boston. He was ready for primetime. Sanchez isn't. And Freeman will be far and away teh best QB in this draft. <_<

I will go on a limb and say the exact opposite. One year wonder, past USC QBs (besides Palmer, who has only had one really good year) lack of success, weak defensive conference, plays with all blue chips, in perfect weather, in a perfect offensive system.

Ryan was a 4 year starter in Boston. He was ready for primetime. Sanchez isn't. And Freeman will be far and away teh best QB in this draft. <_<

I was thinking that Freeman, if he lands in the right situation, could be similar to Culpepper when he was in Minny. They have a similar game. Put him in Tampa with Antonio Bryant and Winslow? I think that would be a pretty good opportunity for success.

I like Freeman too, but there is something about Sanchez that makes me think he has a real shot at being a pretty good NFL QB...

Saying a player isnt going to be good because he is from USC is also a pretty crazy thing to say...in College, the teams change every year...the OC is different than what the others QB's had, his team mates are different, etc, etc. USC runs a pro style system, with the last three QB's Palmer, Leinart, and Cassel...Palmer and Cassel have had success already, especially Palmer, and Leinart showed plenty of promise, so it would be unfair to say he is bust because hes stuck behind a future HOF QB who is playing like he is 30 again...

Funny Fact Mayock wasn't sold on Ryan this time last year, but now after Ryan has blown up he is...

Kiper was the one high on Ryan the whole time...Mayock always kept on pointing out the system made him a great QB and the coach...while Kiper pointed out his accuracy...arm strength...his great intangibles & leadership skills...

being a mock drafter is like being a weatherman...nobody knows whats going to happen...nobody know who is going to bust...

This is what I will say...Mayock is decent at scouting Offense....Kiper Defense...

However, If I had to come down to drafting either Sanchez or Freeman....I'd choose Freeman...Sanchez not as flashy as Leinart, but is similar in play...Sanchez is a hardworker, but Freeman has a better arm and picks up coverages better

I'm not embarrassed to admit this, but I thought Ryan was gonna bust.

Sanchez will. IMO, at least.

You were'nt the only one who thought that about Ryan. At last year's draft, there were a lot of Falcons fans booing the pick of Matt Ryan. A few of them told me they wanted Glenn Dorsey instead. I wonder how they feel now?

I like Freeman too, but there is something about Sanchez that makes me think he has a real shot at being a pretty good NFL QB...

Saying a player isnt going to be good because he is from USC is also a pretty crazy thing to say...in College, the teams change every year...the OC is different than what the others QB's had, his team mates are different, etc, etc. USC runs a pro style system, with the last three QB's Palmer, Leinart, and Cassel...Palmer and Cassel have had success already, especially Palmer, and Leinart showed plenty of promise, so it would be unfair to say he is bust because hes stuck behind a future HOF QB who is playing like he is 30 again...

I know it's wrong to group all players from one school together, but there are a ton of busts from USC in the league. I just get the feeling they just dominate in college in sunny LA with all other blue chippers and are kinda soft.

The idea of Sanchez playing in a place like Buffalo or Cleveland in the wintertime and getting smacked in the face just makes me have huge doubts about him. Edwards had this a bit but i think he is learning to play in the cold weather.

I know it's wrong to group all players from one school together, but there are a ton of busts from USC in the league. I just get the feeling they just dominate in college in sunny LA with all other blue chippers and are kinda soft.

The idea of Sanchez playing in a place like Buffalo or Cleveland in the wintertime and getting smacked in the face just makes me have huge doubts about him. Edwards had this a bit but i think he is learning to play in the cold weather.

Yeah, its all a crap shoot...recent history of QB's has been pretty good though and its a pro system. I live in So Cal, so I see a lot of him. I am not sold on him, but he throws a real nice ball and there is just something about him that seems like he will be able to put it together...who knows really, but I also like Freeman if he gets on the right team.

I just looked at the numbers of Sanchez's Pro Day...the USC video...the interview after Sanchez's workout...along with Mayock's comments....several other comments from other scouts at the pro day...

The knock on Sanchez was his 16 total starts...with his performance at his pro day...he now negates that knock...

Sanchez could now push Stafford down out of the top 5...

After that who knows...

Jags could take a run at him...

49ers could take a run at him...

With Buffalo at 11 picking before Denver, they could be involved in a trade...

However, I could see the Raiders taking an offer for a team trading up to select Stafford if he falls to number 7...

Jets, Bucs...

Still, after Freeman the QB class cupboard goes bare...The Bills could still find a trade partner, if someone is desperate for Freeman

I can name a few other USC QB's that can't play at the NFL level, so yeah no dirty sanchez.

I will go out on a limb here and say that 5 years from now we will be saying Sanchez was the best QB from this draft...just a hunch...he throws a real good ball

I will go out on a limb here and say that the best QB in this draft will be drafted in round two or lower. I don't know who just that all of the projected first rounders don't excite my opinions on QB's. I'm not saying any of them will be quality starters but, the best will come later.

I think this class of QB's this year will all be duds

It sure looks that way. Underclassmen QB's taken in the draft have a better than not chance of busting.

Pete Carroll said that he advised Sanchez to stay in school and that would be his best path to success in the NFL. Sanchez ignored the advice and declared for the draft. :thumbsup:

Carroll did that because he knew his program wouldn't be on the same level with another QB in there. Sanchez had a year of eligibility left and he(Pete) was hoping he'd use it while his staff could groom another QB to take the reigns after Sanchez left. I think Pete was trying to force Sanchez to stay almost. I thought it was a pretty dirty move to do that publicly and take a shot at a guy coming from your program. Pete showed his true colors.

Carroll did that because he knew his program wouldn't be on the same level with another QB in there. Sanchez had a year of eligibility left and he(Pete) was hoping he'd use it while his staff could groom another QB to take the reigns after Sanchez left. I think Pete was trying to force Sanchez to stay almost. I thought it was a pretty dirty move to do that publicly and take a shot at a guy coming from your program. Pete showed his true colors.

:thumbsup: Yes, one could take it that way if they chose.

Actually, I don't think so. Sanchez wasn't the franchise at USC. I think Pete was being painfully honest. Sanchez is more likely to spend next season riding the bench or getting the snot knocked out of him on a bad team. At USC, he'd play and be on a good team and get more reps, be able to develop more, etc. USC has a stable full of excellent young QBs in the pipeline already and they'll continue to be fine. Really, Sanchez needed USC far more than they needed Sanchez.

:thumbsup: Yes, one could take it that way if they chose.

Actually, I don't think so. Sanchez wasn't the franchise at USC. I think Pete was being painfully honest. Sanchez is more likely to spend next season riding the bench or getting the snot knocked out of him on a bad team. At USC, he'd play and be on a good team and get more reps, be able to develop more, etc. USC has a stable full of excellent young QBs in the pipeline already and they'll continue to be fine. Really, Sanchez needed USC far more than they needed Sanchez.

I know he wasn't the franchise. They have waaayyyy too many top tier recruits. I understand what you're getting at also. I think my general dislike for USC fueled my opinion :wallbash: , but I still don't think you come out and say something like that to the national media about one of your guys.