Why be a fan?

This is a pivotal year for me as a fan. It is Juaron's last year - pretty much formally - and he needs to win to keep the job. It is Wilson's HOF year, and the Bill's 50th anniversary year. Wow! And the fans - the Fans! - who've made it all possible, and who've suffered Four Straight Super Bowl Losses, and then this slow decline into dismal football, now have a decent core of players, young, and enough talent at the right positions to be good - and all they need is a few extra pieces. We know what they need, playmaker-wise. They can get it through F.A. and the draft. I believe, albeit it is a desperate way, that the front office knows the strengths and weaknesses of this team as opposed other really good teams, and can move to get the talent we need.

What is preventing that? Money? Bottom line: they need to win this year, or it'll be rebuilding all over again. And, maybe the team moves, to boot. Shouldn't all that combined be enough motivation for them to try everything and anything to put the right team on the field this year?

I believe it is. If they don't put that team on the field this year, with enough talent to compete with the best of them, then it just goes to show it is a business - all about the money - and, I for one, am saying, That is not what I'm interested in. I don't want to watch a soap opera every Sunday, the winners and losers indeterminate to the goal: selling tickets and a hundred million boobs sitting around watching their televisions all Sunday. What I'm saying is, if the goal isn't To Win A Super Bowl, and to be the very best team possible, then what is the point? I don't care if we make the playoffs on some wild-card and lose in the first or second round.

Hearing some of these players B word about the difference in millions on their salaries, while the people who support them get by on one hundrenth of that or less, is rediculous.

I believe that we as fans became fans because we wanted to see some magic. We wanted to see a team decide by their hearts and their wills that they were going to do whatever it took to go out and win, even against unbeatable odds. And if I saw my team approach this attitude, this desire to just win, to be a team, to dominate, to the great, and fall short a little (the early 90's was an approximation), then I'd keep up.

But, to see them put together a team and a staff that doesn't come close to being competitive or passionate enough to do great things - even only some of the time - but, rather, accept mediocrity as a part of the turning door that has become Dominance in the NFL, and to say, "next year we'll regroup and try to make the playoffs; that is our goal" Ahhhhh!

What ever happened to guys saying, "We want to be great. We want to be the best ever. We're going to Win!"

I can't find all the right words to express what I mean, but I feel like other fans will know what I'm trying to say. The NFL, with these bloated salaries - and I'd understand if there were the equivalent desire and passion - is becoming a sucker sport, which I feel is ridiculing the hundred or so million men and young men, and even women, who watch it. We're not looking for daytime drama or for passive entertainment. We want to feel something for our teams, and its becoming less possible with every passing year for me.

This year, I really want to see a team that is passionate and devoted to trying to be the best. That would be enough.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a pivotal year for me as a fan. It is Juaron's last year - pretty much formally - and he needs to win to keep the job. It is Wilson's HOF year, and the Bill's 50th anniversary year. ...

This year, I really want to see a team that is passionate and devoted to trying to be the best. That would be enough.

I hear you. There were a lot of posts like this one, right when the season concluded, and another flurry of them, when it was announced that Jauron would be retained as Bills head coach. I was one of them. I have never felt as "challanged" to be a fan of the Bills, in my almost 40 years of devotion. Nothing they have done this off-season has made me feel much better...but, time has a way of making you forget. We are a few weeks from the draft, and I am starting to get interested... the last few years have been so dismal, I think I have subconsciously put most of these last few, disappointing, miserable seasons out of my mind. And I love the Bills.

If any noteworthy event in my life has happened during a football season, I can almost always remembered who the Bills were playing that week. Now, I can barely remember who we played the last game of the season. I don't read as many game re-caps as I used to. Crud, I used to read every single article (no matter how redundant) on the front page of Two Bills Drive.

But, despite the way I feel about the currenet mess that is representing my beloved hometown, my lifelong passion for sports, I am still a fan.

I thinks we are fans of the Sunday routine, and we are fans of the camaraderie of a shared experience we feel with other Bills fans. We meet at a bar every Sunday during the regular season (no playoffs for 10 years!), and it feels good. No matter how bad the season is for the Bills, I always get melancholy heading into December, knowing that it is all going to be over in a few weeks. Sure, it would be nice if the Bills could win more than they lose, for a change. I think Bills fans deserve more than they get. I can't even necessarily pin that on the players...just the "football men" who keep serving us this same spoiled dish every year...but, hey, it could be worse...just ask a Lions fan why they are a fan... I suspect many of them feel the way I feel...

I hear you. There were a lot of posts like this one, right when the season concluded, and another flurry of them, when it was announced that Jauron would be retained as Bills head coach. I was one of them. I have never felt as "challanged" to be a fan of the Bills, in my almost 40 years of devotion. Nothing they have done this off-season has made me feel much better...but, time has a way of making you forget. We are a few weeks from the draft, and I am starting to get interested... the last few years have been so dismal, I think I have subconsciously put most of these last few, disappointing, miserable seasons out of my mind. And I love the Bills.

If any noteworthy event in my life has happened during a football season, I can almost always remembered who the Bills were playing that week. Now, I can barely remember who we played the last game of the season. I don't read as many game re-caps as I used to. Crud, I used to read every single article (no matter how redundant) on the front page of Two Bills Drive.

But, despite the way I feel about the currenet mess that is representing my beloved hometown, my lifelong passion for sports, I am still a fan.

I thinks we are fans of the Sunday routine, and we are fans of the camaraderie of a shared experience we feel with other Bills fans. We meet at a bar every Sunday during the regular season (no playoffs for 10 years!), and it feels good. No matter how bad the season is for the Bills, I always get melancholy heading into December, knowing that it is all going to be over in a few weeks. Sure, it would be nice if the Bills could win more than they lose, for a change. I think Bills fans deserve more than they get. I can't even necessarily pin that on the players...just the "football men" who keep serving us this same spoiled dish every year...but, hey, it could be worse...just ask a Lions fan, why they are a fan...

You have been a fan for 40 years and this is your most challenging time as a fan? I have been going to games since 1967. Do I have to remind you of 1968, 1971, 1976-77, 1984-85?

Hearing some of these players B word about the difference in millions on their salaries, while the people who support them get by on one hundrenth of that or less, is rediculous.

Couple of things to keep in mind when muling about their paychecks:

1. These guys are the best of the best, compare them with CEO/CFO/CTO's in the business world.

2. Every game they risk a career ending injury which risks them to be without further pay.

3. Every player only has a few years to make the money we need to work for our entire live; i.e. a car mechanic easily lasts 40 years where an athlete only lasts 5 years.

Fully agreed, 6 million or 12 million is a big difference but the difference doesnt change the future of the receiving party, some players forget that they are allready set for life with what they receive. I want to bet that a guy that gets 6 million and wins the superbowl is more happy/content in his later years then a guy who got 12 million and no superbowl/playoffs.

For me I had the feeling the teams passion went downhill as soon as Jason Peters started playing again last year (it may not be fair or even entirely wrong but thats just the feeling i got). In anyway a highly motivated passionate player giving 110% might be a better performer then a pro-bowler looking to add a few more italian sportcars to his collection giving 100%. I.e. I'd rather see us trade Peters for another decent LT that is passionate for performance wise it won't make much of a difference.

But, to see them put together a team and a staff that doesn't come close to being competitive or passionate enough to do great things - even only some of the time - but, rather, accept mediocrity as a part of the turning door that has become Dominance in the NFL, and to say, "next year we'll regroup and try to make the playoffs; that is our goal" Ahhhhh!

What ever happened to guys saying, "We want to be great. We want to be the best ever. We're going to Win!"

This is what you get when you hire (and foolishly retain) Dick Jauron as head coach of your team. No passion, players who are told that "trying hard" is good enough, a team that plays in Buffalo yet doesn't practice outside when the weather turns cold. Other than Marshawn Lynch, it's no wonder that even their "star" players appear to be much too soft for this game. "Circling the wagons" and "winning" are down the list of priorities behind ""controlling the ball", "not making mistakes" and "trying hard". They like to win, they just don't think it's as important anymore and if they do think it's important then they certainly haven't shown any evidence on the field, on the sideline or in post game interviews. Frankly, I think that this current team is a sad and pathetic excuse for a football team and it sickens me that this is what's representing the present day Buffalo Bills.

it was a really cruel effect up to 5-1 this year. The excitement, national attention, all the positive stories, etc. Then we are stuck back on Gilligan's Island again. It is very frustrating. This year i am again hoping for the best, but if I had to bet on it, it wont be a good season. Russ Brandon is in over his head in the AFC East, and I really dont feel Wilson's objective is to win.

You have been a fan for 40 years and this is your most challenging time as a fan? I have been going to games since 1967. Do I have to remind you of 1968, 1971, 1976-77, 1984-85?

they weren't shipping home games to toronto then.

This is what you get when you hire (and foolishly retain) Dick Jauron as head coach of your team. No passion, players who are told that "trying hard" is good enough, a team that plays in Buffalo yet doesn't practice outside when the weather turns cold. Other than Marshawn Lynch, it's no wonder that even their "star" players appear to be much too soft for this game. "Circling the wagons" and "winning" are down the list of priorities behind ""controlling the ball", "not making mistakes" and "trying hard". They like to win, they just don't think it's as important anymore and if they do think it's important then they certainly haven't shown any evidence on the field, on the sideline or in post game interviews. Frankly, I think that this current team is a sad and pathetic excuse for a football team and it sickens me that this is what's representing the present day Buffalo Bills.

You are the most miserable Bills fan I know.

have a nice day <_<

This is a pivotal year for me as a fan. It is Juaron's last year - pretty much formally - and he needs to win to keep the job. It is Wilson's HOF year, and the Bill's 50th anniversary year. Wow! And the fans - the Fans! - who've made it all possible, and who've suffered Four Straight Super Bowl Losses, and then this slow decline into dismal football, now have a decent core of players, young, and enough talent at the right positions to be good - and all they need is a few extra pieces. We know what they need, playmaker-wise. They can get it through F.A. and the draft. I believe, albeit it is a desperate way, that the front office knows the strengths and weaknesses of this team as opposed other really good teams, and can move to get the talent we need.

What is preventing that? Money? Bottom line: they need to win this year, or it'll be rebuilding all over again. And, maybe the team moves, to boot. Shouldn't all that combined be enough motivation for them to try everything and anything to put the right team on the field this year?

I believe it is. If they don't put that team on the field this year, with enough talent to compete with the best of them, then it just goes to show it is a business - all about the money - and, I for one, am saying, That is not what I'm interested in. I don't want to watch a soap opera every Sunday, the winners and losers indeterminate to the goal: selling tickets and a hundred million boobs sitting around watching their televisions all Sunday. What I'm saying is, if the goal isn't To Win A Super Bowl, and to be the very best team possible, then what is the point? I don't care if we make the playoffs on some wild-card and lose in the first or second round.

I believe that we as fans became fans because we wanted to see some magic. We wanted to see a team decide by their hearts and their wills that they were going to do whatever it took to go out and win, even against unbeatable odds. And if I saw my team approach this attitude, this desire to just win, to be a team, to dominate, to the great, and fall short a little (the early 90's was an approximation), then I'd keep up.

I can't find all the right words to express what I mean, but I feel like other fans will know what I'm trying to say. The NFL, with these bloated salaries - and I'd understand if there were the equivalent desire and passion - is becoming a sucker sport, which I feel is ridiculing the hundred or so million men and young men, and even women, who watch it. We're not looking for daytime drama or for passive entertainment. We want to feel something for our teams, and its becoming less possible with every passing year for me.

hey pal, the salaries are all TV money... you're paying them, friend. don't complain about the salries

have a nice day <_<

Going 0 for 6 in the division and losing at home to bad teams like the Browns and the 49ers will do that. It's been painful to watch this team play football for the last three years. Yet I'm still looking forward to either seeing a miracle happen in Orchard Park in 2009 or for the long wait when real hope is restored in 2010 when they fire Jauron and hire a guy that knows what he's doing. Miracles can happen and there's always a silver lining if they don't, see I can be upbeat! :lol:

...I can't find all the right words to express what I mean, but I feel like other fans will know what I'm trying to say...

:blink:

No, you found the exact words to express what you mean, I have never agreed more with a post on this board then yours! I used to complain after each SB loss that Wilson and Polian need to make the right changes for the Bills to win the SB the following season! Can you imagine that? Talk about being spoiled back then in the early 90's. Despite the fact the Bills had the talent and the passion to be great and were great, as a true Bills fan, I was impatient for them to get over that last reamaining obstacle, and WIN THE SB.

Shows you how much I've been slammed back to the real world in the past 16 years or so.

My take is simple. It's not a players league, nor a fans league. It is an owners' league. Each individual owner decides how much under or over (by using the signing bonus clause) the salary cap they want to be before they even think about "winning the SB." They decide on how much to pay their GM's, scouts and coaches (which don't even count against the salary cap), before they even think about "winning the SB." And these owners are emotional, and sometimes jealous of eachother. For all we know as dumb Bills' fans, Ralph Wilson may have more money in his vast fortune then Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder combined. Yet Ralph Wilson is jealous of the markets their NFL teams are in, and jealous of the stadiums their teams play in, so he decides in his own mind, how much money he is willing to spend on his NFL team....fans be damned.

It's much worse in baseball. Who knows how rich the Reds or Royals' owners may be in real life? Yet they decide every season not to compete for championships because of the money their fellow owners are willing to spend to get them.

Blame the owners. They created this mess, and they decide whether or not to compete within it, to the complete detriment of the 32 teams' fans, who like you and I, only want to see their teams win the damn Super Bowl when the season starts in September! :lol:<_<

:blink:

Blame the owners. They created this mess, and they decide whether or not to compete within it, to the complete detriment of the 32 teams' fans, who like you and I, only want to see their teams win the damn Super Bowl when the season starts in September! :lol:<_<

I've never replied to my own post before, and I'm sure to be flamed for it, but I need to make a correction...of course not all 32 teams' fans suffer, becuase one team wins the SB every season. Sorry, I got carried away. Plus, the Steelers certainly don't spend the same money as the Cowboys or Redskins, and they have won or at least played in a SB every decade since the 70's, and have won the most SB's all time. So my post in certainly not totally accurate.

But my point about at least half of the NFL owners remains valid. They voted for this system, and then they sit back and let the other owners take advantage of it while they whine about the money being spent.

have a nice day <_<

Why the hell are you the judge and jury on every post that doesn't concur with how you feel? I think you're the one that needs to have a nice day. On every damn topic your the one making snide comments to everyone who doesn't think like you. Then when someone else gets sick of your attitude, you don't like it. Live and let live.

Why the hell are you the judge and jury on every post that doesn't concur with how you feel? I think you're the one that needs to have a nice day. On every damn topic your the one making snide comments to everyone who doesn't think like you. Then when someone else gets sick of your attitude, you don't like it. Live and let live.

Are you still letting that salary cap issue bother you?

Having read that reply about the cold weather, and them not practicing outside in it - man, that is really obvious these past few years! This team used to win those cold weather games, and look forward to them, because it was a huge advantage for them. As a coach, I would think he'd definitely want to bring back that advantage. They seem, of late, to be as disadvantaged from the snow or more so than the opposing team (Remember the Cleveland Game?).