The Consummate Professional:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hope so - I hope he can take a big step forward this year as his rookie season was naything but impressive.

Being that he was a rookie tossed into an anemic dip and dunk offense, I'm willing to give him a pass. Reserving judgment for this season

Every time I see or hear an interview with this guy, I am stunned by his professionalism. Maybe it is a great facade, but it seems like he says the right thing almost every time he's given the chance. It's really hard for me to believe that this guy ever had the character concerns, and incidences, he was once perceived to have had.

Part of me thinks it's a pretty remarkable testament to what can happen when a genuinely good kid gets removed from the toxic situation he's had to deal with at home. In that sense, Buffalo can be the perfect landing spot for some big-time athletes. I have a sneaking suspicion that the same thing may happen to one star, gold-toothed running back, after this latest incident.

Regardless, I'm proud that this guy is a Bill.

This is a football team. Not a parole board. Who cares what he says? He gets his chance this year--let's see what happens.

Are we this desperate that we have to get excited about these occasional cogent utterances?

This is a football team. Not a parole board. Who cares what he says? He gets his chance this year--let's see what happens.

Are we this desperate that we have to get excited about these occasional cogent utterances?

No, we're just not as jaded as you.

Maybe.

Are you that big of a d-bag that you have to find the negative in everything, and bash a post that simply points out that a young guy seems to have the right attitude?

And this is a message board -- not a distinguished panel of experts. So you can pick and choose at what you'd like to read, and take everything with a grain of salt. Your jaded and tiring negativism being the bits and pieces that I usually try to ignore.

The post was merely a reflection of how I've been impressed by a kid who was deemed by many to be a thug. I think character and optimism can be the mark of a successful team. Clearly you disagree. To you, I say: Go back to your hole. The spring is far too pleasent for the likes of trolls.

The Dr. never ran. The Monster, that thing could move.

Consummate Professional - Isn't this the same guy allegidly who beat up his girlfriend/child while in college? Didn't he allegidly pull a gun on his dad less than a year ago? I'm not trying to knock the guy, but we must be really board to comment on James Hardy's professionalinsm.

Cody, that's allegedly and professionalism.

And not run like frankenstein.

Can he dance like Frankenstein?

Let's see it translate onto the field. And BTW, did Dwight Drane ever pay-up on that bet that Hardy would get arrested before the end of the season (or some time frame like that)?

You mean this post?

QUOTE (Dwight Drane @ May 14 2008, 08:33 PM) *

I understand.....I am not saying the guy is all bad news. I would say though that if I were an unbiased observer, I would have to move young James a bit to the right on the troublemeter given what has gone on with him.

In my opinion he was a risky pick because of his on-field ability. When you throw in the character stuff, he really has no room for error before the pick starts looking geared towards foolish. In fact, I will make a few predictions for the rest of 2008 for Hardy.

If one of the following doesn't happen to James Hardy by the end of the 2008 season, feel free to ban me from the website.

1) Suspended for NFL substance violation

2) Getting Arrested

3) Misses Team Flight to Away Game

4) Catches less than 40 passes

5) Misses at least 1 full game for bruised/broken ribs

6) Misses at least one full game for a hyperextended knee/patella injury (bone,connective tissue, bursa)

If all 6 of those happen, I want $1 from all who mocked my stripper analogy, in word or privately (there had to be at least 20), so I can go get a lapdance. I'll even splurge for the 81 jersey to put on the girl, and I'll take a picture of us as I'm giving a double bird to everyone.

I'm guessing I'll be off the hook by September 30th at the latest.

All of his posts are missing. I had to take this from a quote in the " James Hardy, Holy sh--" thread. I think he's been banned already. :D

He did get one right and if you count a torn ACL as an example of a hyperextended knee/patella injury (bone,connective tissue, bursa) then he got two right.

Not defending, just pointing out.

I bet the second time tastes worse than the first. :wallbash:

I don't know about Hardy's Frankensteinesque running, but you should see the man puttin on the ritz.

Too subtle, see above.

You mean this post?

All of his posts are missing. I had to take this from a quote in the " James Hardy, Holy sh--" thread. I think he's been banned already. :D

He did get one right and if you count a torn ACL as an example of a hyperextended knee/patella injury (bone,connective tissue, bursa) then he got two right.

Not defending, just pointing out.

That wasn't the bet. He specifically had a $100 bet with someone regarding Hardy getting arrested again.

And this is a message board -- not a distinguished panel of experts. So you can pick and choose at what you'd like to read, and take everything with a grain of salt. Your jaded and tiring negativism being the bits and pieces that I usually try to ignore.

The post was merely a reflection of how I've been impressed by a kid who was deemed by many to be a thug. I think character and optimism can be the mark of a successful team. Clearly you disagree. To you, I say: Go back to your hole. The spring is far too pleasent for the likes of trolls.

Relax. Fans are free to expect more for a team than refreshing press conferences. Clearly you disagree.

If character and optimism might be the hallmark of a successful team, shouldn't we have won at least the AFCC by now?

And why don't you come right out and say how pleasantly surprised you were that this young black man ("deemed by many to be a thug") is so.........articulate-----and spare us the patronizing crap that follows.

Too subtle, see above.

Bah...No one remembers the classics.

I can't picture Frankenstein without seeing either Phil Hartman (but Dean already grabbed that one) or Peter Boyle.

Although Hardy's pretty tall. If he actually dressed up like Frank, and danced a bit, I think you might have some comedy gold there.

Relax. Fans are free to expect more for a team than refreshing press conferences. Clearly you disagree.

If character and optimism might be the hallmark of a successful team, shouldn't we have won at least the AFCC by now?

And why don't you come right out and say how pleasantly surprised you were that this young black man ("deemed by many to be a thug") is so.........articulate-----and spare us the patronizing crap that follows.

Nice race-card-pull. That's such typical short-sightedness. Because I was impressed that a kid who has clearly had a tough young-adult life has seemingly found a place where he can turn his life in a more positive direction, I'm some sort of yuppie who has a hard on for a feel good story from the "projects." Get a grip douche.

Given the fact you know nothing about me, it's pretty ridiculous to give me the whole "black kid apologist" bit. If I happened to be black, would you call me an Uncle Tom?

But, I'm sure you get it. You, from your pit of cynical skepticism, can tell exactly what someone really means when they say they're happy a kid seems to have found a place where he can make his life more stable. Are you a condescending sociologist, a mind reader, or just a trolling loser?

Now return to your man-cave for more Nine Inch Nails in the dark.

Fire BAD!

I get all my Frankenstein info from SNL. :D

Actually, I think the good post was a refreshing change from the general tone of the discussions, lately. I'd love for the guy to succeed, and his professional approach and (seemingly) sincere manner suggest he will continue to work to get better. I continue to reserve judgment on him, based solely on his rookie season.

SNL was GOOD but Young Frankenstein is GREAT.

Where do you get this from? I've heard from many people that he has to 'improve his route running'. Am I missing something here? How do you know what route he was supposed to run, and if he ran it correctly or not? I don't remember all of his plays being iso'd. Just seems like a general blanket statement people come up with when they have to figure out why a receiver isn't putting up numbers.

What I witnessed about the former #81 this year:

1. Wasn't thrown to enough. No matter how crappy a receiver he may be according to some here, there's no reason why he should have ended up with only 9 catches on a team this thin at WR.

2. Looked bad on two consecutive deep balls thrown to him against the Rams (perhaps the main reason he's been labelled as someone who didn't 'fight for the ball'). Both of which were woefully underthrown by Edwards and would have been difficult catches even for a vet.

3. Made two great TD catches. First one against Jax, pass that came a bit too late, but he still adjusted. The second against New England was in garbage time, and behind him, but he made a really good adjustment at the end.

This team really needed to grow some balls and air the ball out. Whether that is the fault of the coaching staff or Edwards, they pretty much beat themselves most weeks by not trying to stretch the field. I almost hope T.O. blows up on these fools early this year if things are still the same.

You don't seem to exactly understand what route-running is. Not that I'm ready to step in and be an NFL WRs coach, but just because you weren't in the huddle, there are absolutely some things you can see when you look at the route he runs.

Let's say he runs ten yards out and cuts straight across the middle. Without knowing what route he was supposed to run, what can we say about his route-running?

1) Was his cut "squared off" or rounded? Good route-runners make abrupt, angled, explosive cuts. Bad route-runners make wide, circular rounded cuts, allowing the DB more time to react.

2) What did he do the two or three steps before he cut? Did he slow up or speed up? Did he dip his weight? Did he take a shorter step or two? All of these allow a d-back to pick up when the cut is coming. Ideally, a WR takes more or less identical steps until the step of the cut itself. That way, a d-back can't predict when the WR will make the move.

There are more things you can look at. These are just two things, but you can pick up many by looking at tape. Hardy has been said again and again to be not particularly good at route-running. He also has had difficulty in picking the correct route under different circumstance. That is difficult for outsiders to figure out. But the Bills have made it clear that he hasn't picked this up yet.

Hardy has a long way to go. Let's hope he gets there.