A publicly traded team

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously you arent from upstate NY. My guess is you are either French, metro, or gay. Maybe a combination of the 3. When was your last manicure?

Upstate New York isn't a term someone from the Buffalo would use to describe the area. It is Western New York.

All those fatcats in "WNY" would have to do is raise $800-900 million. Should be easy.

The anti-trust exemption will never be challenged seriously. Never. If it went away, the Bills would disappear as a franchise, because each team would be free to negotiate their own TV contracts. There would be no revenue sharing.

This is a dumb idea.

On a completely separate topic...does Tim Russert's son have a name, or is he exclusively known as "Tim Russert's

son"?

He sometimes goes by 'Luke' from what I heard. I've never met him, so I'm not sure which he uses when introducing himself.

Geography lesson:

The way I've always understood it, growing up and living in the Syracuse region....

Buffalo and Rochester is Western NY

Binghamton, Corning, Bath, Olean is the Southern Tier

Cortland north to Oswego County is Central NY

Watertown to the Thousand Islands is Northern NY

Albany is the Capital Region

Utica to the border between New York and Canada is the Adirondacks

South of Utica to the Tappen Zee bridge is Upstate

South and east of the Tappen Zee is New York City

Now having worked with a guy that grew up on Long Island, he says everything north of the Tappen Zee is Canada.

I believe the NFL requires 1 person to have a 30% stake in the team to be a majority owner... I do not think there are any other restrictions as far as the other 70% goes...

Yes. There is a maximum of 30, 35, or 38 (I cant remember which) owners allowed. One of them muct own at least 30%.

So the league would have to make an exception to the rule if this were ever going to have a chance.

Geography lesson:

The way I've always understood it, growing up and living in the Syracuse region....

Now having worked with a guy that grew up on Long Island, he says everything north of the Tappen Zee is Canada.

Sounds about right. But yeah, anyone who grew up and stayed in NY for more than a couple years knows that buffalo is not upstate.

As far as team ownership, it's tough because there has to be one clear majority, not 30% as someone said but the majority owner has to have 50.1% of the team.

Geography lesson:

I have continually argued that "Upstate" is fairly useless as a specific geographic designator, as it is used by the media, and those from the NYC area, to mean "any part of New York State outside the City, LI and maybe Westchester County. So, basically, "upstate NY" is used to mean virtually all of NY State, geographically.

It represents a shorthand that roughly translates to "the who gives a crap part of NY State".

Right. Ra-cha-cha is SMUGTOWN. Are you East River or West?

PTR

:thumbsup:

I thought I was the only one who thought that.

Rochester is sort of on the border between WNY and Central New York (and maybe even the Wine Region). Some people I know consider themselves WNYers, but I think others think Rochester is too good to be associated with Buffalo.

Sounds about right. But yeah, anyone who grew up and stayed in NY for more than a couple years knows that buffalo is not upstate.

And based on your comments about Labatts, Duff's and Zubas those of us who grew up in the Rochester/Buffalo/Niagara Falls have one question for you. Do you sit down when you pee?

Rack 'em!

And based on your comments about Labatts, Duff's and Zubas those of us who grew up in the Rochester/Buffalo/Niagara Falls have one question for you. Do you sit down when you pee?

Rack 'em!

So a Bostonian who likely is a patriot fan, who doesn't know where western NY is and comes here talking crap.

Go away Tbone.

Shares of the Buffalo Bills - now trading at $0.04 per share.

Wall street is enough fun as is with publicly owned/traded companies - are the Bills a sound investment?

That being said, yes I'd buy shares - it'd be worth losing money to keep the team here.

it doesnt seem to work (at least in the Packers' case) that it is an investment so to speak.

You own the team, the shares dont increase in value and you cant sell. The profits go directly back into the team. Some 'heavily invested' parties would probably act as the CEO. Shareholders would vote on certain issues, probably along the lines of where to invest the revenues.

so all you would get for the 'investment' is the bragging rights you are part owner, and voting rights.

Seriously if the fans ran the team it would a cluster---k of epic proportions. They'd need numbers like a deli counter for coaches, GM's and QB's. You think it can't get worse than now but it surely can.

PTR

You guys do realize that the team would still be run by a management team and not by a series of shareholder votes every Monday, right? Although I agree that would be more fun.

Dammit, who voted for the JP roll out play on 3d and 4?!?!

As far as team ownership, it's tough because there has to be one clear majority, not 30% as someone said but the majority owner has to have 50.1% of the team.

Actually, if you search through some articles regarding the recent Steelers ownership situation w/ the Rooneys you will see that the NFL requires 1 person to have at least 30% of the team... making them the majority owner... this story has a blurb about it

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08316/926969-66.stm