A Few Words About Drafting Guards

Yes, in any given year, you can easily explain and probably come up with a good argument as to why the Bills didn't select early OL. (They do seem fond of late rounders however). But, over the long haul, you cannot continually neglect the OL in the early parts of the draft. At some point, you have to do it.

No we don't, and you can't make me! My daddy owns the team, and he doesn't want me stepping in any dookies.

Sincerely,

Linda Bogdan, chief OL scout, Buffalo Bills

To be clear, I am all about signing and keeping Jason Peters, who I think when in shape is a freak, and the best player on the football team.

That said, if Oher does project at all to Guard, I consider your idea to be a great one.

Nice going!!! <_<:wallbash::wallbash:

While I'm not sold on any of the high ranking tackles, in this draft, if the right defensive lineman isn't available at #11, and if one of these tackles can play guard, at a reasonable level, then I'm all for taking one in the first.

Belichek drafts athletic lineman. I recall a draft report where they like Offensive lineman with wrestling backgrounds like Mankins, Light and Neal. Drafting a quality lineman early is never going to hurt matters with one notable exception from the University of Texas.

To further expand upon this:

Taken from the Patriots* website, the Unofficial depth chart (updated 3/20/2009) shows the following:

LT Light, drafted by the Pats* in the 2nd round in 2001

RT Mankins, draftd by the Pats* in the first round in 2005

C Koppen, drafted by the Pats* in the 5th round in 2003

RG Neal, UDFA originally signed by the Pats* in 2001

RT Kaczar, drafted by the Pats* in the 3rd round in 2005

Taken from the Patriots* website, the Unofficial depth chart (updated 3/20/2009) shows the following:

Wait, wait wait....

So you're saying that Belichick doesn't sh-- gold?

Blasphemer!

While I'm not sold on any of the high ranking tackles, in this draft, if the right defensive lineman isn't available at #11, and if one of these tackles can play guard, at a reasonable level, then I'm all for taking one in the first.

I saw your comments about OTs in this draft before, and found them to be interesting.

How good must Eugene Monroe be if he actually kept Branden Albert at left guard in college? I was screaming for the Bills to draft Albert. R.Rich says that he could be one of the best guards ever, and I don't take this statement lightly. Albert was SO good, he stepped in at LT for the Chiefs as a rookie, and played quite well from what I hear, and the little I saw.

I am an Alabama fan, and I always thought that Andre Smith would be a RT in the NFL. A great one mind you, but he doesn't have the "Jason Peters" agility. <_< I don't know much about the other ones. No need to go out of my way when Jauron (ok...and company) are going to grab Vontae Davis, ya know? :wallbash:

Wait, wait wait....

So you're saying that Belichick doesn't sh-- gold?

Blasphemer!

The thing that jumped out at me was that every starter on their OL is somebody they drafted or somebody they developed through their system.

Compare that with the Bills. It may or may not mean a thing, but it does make one stop and go "hmmmmm ...".

I read in Halberstam's "Education of a Coach" that Bellichick doesn't like spending high picks on linemen because he thinks it's all technique and coaching, and that he can teach any lineman to play well. Maybe he's changed his mind or maybe guys like Light and Mankins were too good to pass on.

I think, at 11 if there is no pass rusher or DT available, getting a lineman isn't the craziest thing in the world. In fact, if they do that, we'll actually have a little OL depth, which isn't a bad thing at all.

The question is, do we insulate ourselves at LT, get a RT/LG combo player or just take the best lineman regardless?

Given the state of our existing offensive line and the poor play of last season I could easily see 2 or three of the first four picks going to guards. I would allow one of those picks for a defensive lineman. We have two weaknesses that doom our chances for success...pass rush and pass protection.

After (if not also before) the release of Dockery, the Bills are left with all of 1 credible Guard on the roster. Common thinking is that Guards should be drafted in later rounds; that they are big guys who are not athletic enough to play OT, especially LT.

While there is some truth to this theory, this article spells out the link between selecting Guards early and winning football games.

I went over the pro bowl rosters from 2007 - 2009. The following is a list of all Guards selected, (those with multiple selections are only listed once), and when they were drafted. Alternates are included.

Leonard Davis: 1st Round

Steve Hutchinson: 1st Round

Shawn Andrews: 1st Round

Alan Faneca: 1st Round

Logan Mankins: 1st Round

Will Shields: 3rd Round

Kris Dielman: Undrafted

Larry Allen: 2nd Round

Ruben Brown: 1st Round

Chris Snee: 2nd Round

Davin Joseph: 1st Round

Brian Waters: Undrafted

The number of these guys who have been to the playoffs and/or the suoerbowl is striking. Because of this, I am in favor of the Bills trading down in this draft and getting another 2nd round pick. I am not seeing one of the pass rushing DEs or even Raji falling to us. The Bills, again given their talent at the skill positions, need to strengthen the OL instead of to merely fill holes. A solid, early round Guard or 2 would be a great start. We have a ton of good skill players and a young quarterback, and simply cannot enter the season wth weak guards and expect to win.

Maybe during the draft, Jauron can be tied up and gagged so we don't wind up with Vontae Davis, and a few other dbs.

I'm still baffled that NFL teams in general don't seem to consider 'bust' rate when they determine their draft boards. Interior OLmen selected in the 1st round have virtually had a zero bust rate over the last 18+ years(from memory). In my mind this says that talent evaluation for interior OLmen is much better than other positions.....therefore teams should be placing a much higher value on interior OLmen in the draft(i.e. they should be selected higher than what they traditionally have been).

I'd rather 'reach' for a player who has a massively high chance of becoming minimally a solid NFL starter than select 'the best talent available' who has a 50% chance of totally busting out.

The Bills haven't drafted a guard in the first four rounds since Rueben Brown, and Duke Preston is the only center to come from those picks since 1986. No wonder our lines suck in the middle.

Even Ruben was not drafted as a G

Ruben Brown was drafted as a T out of college with the plan to play him at LT and move Fina to C.

The Bills have ignored the OL for 15 years

Evenm if they spend the picks on the OL, they have no idea how to evaluate OL talent and will probably butcher the picks anyway. - just like Mike Williams over McKinnie.