A proposal for league realignment

It might be time to take another look at the AFC-NFC conference breakdown and find a more meaningful and more equitable way to determine which teams make up each division and conference. The current system is a watered down holdover from the old AFL and NFL. Years ago each conference had sort of a personality. The AFC being the more offensive minded with the NFC being the more conservative and defensive minded conference. That seems to have all vanished now and the dream of parity has been replaced by the disparity of revenue with no end in sight.

I propose that the conferences be divided based on revenue with the top 16 teams in one conference and the bottom 16 in another. Divisions would then be chosen geographically with realignment taking place every year based on the same criteria. Separate salary cap for each conference. Have each team play continue to play 4 games a year against non-conference opponents. This will return the Super Bowl to the glory years, a David vs Goliath matchup every year.

Sure the better players will eventually migrate to the pricier conference, but that's OK. If you're Buffalo, you aren't signing or keeping many of those guys anyway. Why would you want to have to play against them most weeks? This new alignment would also help support decisions like having Jauron as your coach and would make it easier for Ralph and his front office to compete. It would make it easier for the Bills to get to a Super bowl. It would make players like Kelsay and Derek Fine stars. A guy like Edwards could probably promote his own line of gloves like Dan Marino once did. It might keep ticket and beer prices down. It would mean playing in a division each year against teams whose commitment to winning is more like that of the Bills. Why not?

I think the trick here is that there isn't really a big enough set of teams at the top to make a whole conference. The league isn't 50:50 - it's 27 teams that are more or less on par with the Bills, then the Patriots, Redskins, Cowboys, Jets, and Giants.

The top 16 teams by revenue go from Washington ($327M) to Seattle ($215) while the bottom is the Giants ($214M: I'm as surprised as you) to the Vikings ($125M). In a free spending conference, it'd essentially be the AL East, with few big-time teams and a lot of mild ones who really don't play by the same rules. Sure, it wouldn't be automatic for the big guys, but it wouldn't really be fair, if that's the goal.

Additionally, I think, once this is set up, it will be difficult to keep revenue sharing fair, and TV contracts equitable. The Money Conference is going to take up almost all the airtime, while the Other Guys will make up a minor league. It makes it too simple for the Jerry Jones/Bob Kraft wing to just try to sell their own games' TV rights, since they need so much less from the other owners in terms of weekly opponents.

You would essentially be creating an A and B division, similar to the way many European soccer leagues work. It would make for frustratingly good competition in the A division and frustratingly bad competition in the B division. Not a supporter.

So while the Bills were successful, the rules were cool, but now that the Bills are the NFL's version of the Kansas City Royals, we need to change it up? How about this. Get a better coach, draft better and go after proven veteran winners that have a little gas in the tank left. That strategy seems to work for the teams that try it, but the Bills insist on bringing in talentless high character guys, or talented no character guys. A good start would be to bring in somebody like D. Brooks. Sure, he's a little long in the tooth, but he's a true professional, he's been successful and won. Some of that professionalism may just rub off on the younger Bills players. Instead, the Bills bring in a guy like TO, who also may rub off on younger players, but not in a good way.

So while the Bills were successful, the rules were cool, but now that the Bills are the NFL's version of the Kansas City Royals, we need to change it up? How about this. Get a better coach, draft better and go after proven veteran winners that have a little gas in the tank left. That strategy seems to work for the teams that try it, but the Bills insist on bringing in talentless high character guys, or talented no character guys. A good start would be to bring in somebody like D. Brooks. Sure, he's a little long in the tooth, but he's a true professional, he's been successful and won. Some of that professionalism may just rub off on the younger Bills players. Instead, the Bills bring in a guy like TO, who also may rub off on younger players, but not in a good way.

Mitchel

Peters

Lynch

Evens

Owens

Whitner

McGee

Poz

Schobel

Off the top of my head these are all guys that are good. I cannot stand all the moaning about our talent level. We are getting better. Yeah we have been 7-9 the last three years, but we also have a lot of off season to go. There are still quality players on the market and the draft. The Bills are moving as quick as the other teams. If you are sick of the team and front office and the Owner find a new team.

Oh and the alignment idea is a bad one. I am for realigning the divisions, but not that way.

My suggestion

Seattle

San Fran

San Diego

Oakland

Denver

Dallas

Houston

Arizona

Miami

Tampa

Jacksonville

New Orleans

St Louis

Tennesee

Atlanta

Kansas City

Minn

Chicago

Green Bay

Indy

New England

Giants

Jets

Philly

Baltimore

Washington

Pittsburg

Carolina

Buffalo

Cleavland

Detroit

Cincinnati

That is how I would break it out. Think of the fan rivalry. All games would be sold out because fans could follow there team to division games.

Western Coastal

Seattle

San Fran

San Diego

Oakland

Western Desert

Denver

Dallas

Houston

Arizona

Eastern Swamp

Miami

Tampa

Jacksonville

Atlanta

Western Pioneer

St Louis

Tennesee

New Orleans

Kansas City

Western Prairie

Minn

Chicago

Green Bay

Indy

Eastern Metro

New England

Giants

Jets

Philly

Eastern ??

Baltimore

Washington

Pittsburgh

Carolina

Eastern Rust

Buffalo

Cleavland

Detroit

Cincinnati

That is how I would break it out. Think of the fan rivalry. All games would be sold out because fans could follow there team to division games.

I think you just want to play Cleveland, Detroit, and Cincy every year!

I would like to see the AFC and NFC completely separate until the Super Bowl. Each team would play every team in their conference once. With a couple extra games added to the season, you still keep two games against those in your division.

This eliminates one team having a harder schedule than another, except for divisional games.

Then, at the end of the season, there is a showdown of the two conferences, having never played each other in the season.

Now, let the ridicule begin, since I have shared my opinion... :thumbsup:

If you are sick of the team and front office and the Owner find a new team.

Your post makes alot of sense... except for this s**t. All the people on this message board from what i've seen are incredibly passionate about their team. Thats why they spend the time discussing pretty much every aspect of the team. Some may question the front office and Mr Wilson at times yet different opinions are everyones birth right. To suggest some of them are sick of the Buffalo Bills is a f**king insult. Even you can't say you have never questioned a move the front office has made.

You would essentially be creating an A and B division, similar to the way many European soccer leagues work. It would make for frustratingly good competition in the A division and frustratingly bad competition in the B division. Not a supporter.

Yes - but consider the possibilities of "B" league ball:

50 cent beer games, pom-pom girls cavorting through the stands, the return of air horns, kazoo givaways, fried bologna at the concessions, free bag 'o peanuts day, etc.

Yes - but consider the possibilities of "B" league ball:

50 cent beer games, pom-pom girls cavorting through the stands, the return of air horns, kazoo givaways, fried bologna at the concessions, free bag 'o peanuts day, etc.

OK! I'm sold!! :thumbsup:

Buffalo

Cleavland

Detroit

Cincinnati

I was saying something like this all along back during the last re-alignment, but Ralph stupidly wanted to hang onto the dead Miami rivalry. The new rivalries would have been so much better -- AND fans could reasonably drive to away games. My only change to the above (at least for the Bills' division) would be to take Detroit out and replace with Pittsburgh.

Mitchel

Peters

Lynch

Evens

Owens

Whitner

McGee

Poz

Schobel

Off the top of my head these are all guys that are good. I cannot stand all the moaning about our talent level. We are getting better. Yeah we have been 7-9 the last three years, but we also have a lot of off season to go. There are still quality players on the market and the draft. The Bills are moving as quick as the other teams. If you are sick of the team and front office and the Owner find a new team.

Oh and the alignment idea is a bad one. I am for realigning the divisions, but not that way.

My suggestion

Seattle

San Fran

San Diego

Oakland

Denver

Dallas

Houston

Arizona

Miami

Tampa

Jacksonville

New Orleans

St Louis

Tennesee

Atlanta

Kansas City

Minn

Chicago

Green Bay

Indy

New England

Giants

Jets

Philly

Baltimore

Washington

Pittsburg

Carolina

Buffalo

Cleavland

Detroit

Cincinnati :thumbsup:

I love this, especially our division, we could get a chance to have the luxury of playing teams that the

Steelers have consistently beat up on, and Detroit too, although I realize there is no guarantee that we will too.

Not to bash them, as it is hard to do that to a team with six SB's, but they did only have to compete against

three other teams in their division to get to four of them, and two of them were like minor leauge teams.