"Dear Wounded War Veterans..."

For what it's worth, Bush completely disappointed in his second term, particularly from a spending standpoint. The truly conservative beliefs I have are completely diluted, which is why the GOP is getting its ass-handed to it these days. I have no problem admitting this.

But I find it's better to spend more time being hard on a president than being hard for him, as the left so clearly seems to be for our new leader.

Of course the left is truly blinded for Obama at this point. He is still fresh in office. Both sides do that early in a term. He has to act, straight up get things done. I do believe that he has ruffled a few feathers (pelosi and reed). I am not to sure they see eye to eye right now.

Thanks for being honest too. Appreciate that.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello!

No one has shown a greater desire to improve veteran treatment and benefits than Barack Obama. I can't help but assume that your Steve Robertson is misinformed and this will all turn out ok in the end.

John McCain...snap

As the wife of a disabled veteran...I can tell you my husband would only use VA services if he had no other recourse. I don't doubt the medical staff and others who work at the VA care greatly, but they cannot deliver the level and quality of care they would like (and our vets) deserve under the present situation.

Something has to change. The choices are leave the system operationally as it is and throw a ton of money at it, or revamp the whole thing. The question is really what's best for these folks, not what's most comfortable for those who have run the system the same way for decades....

I can second that...as a service connected vet with full medical benefits, I would be leery of using the current VA system just because they are so overwhelmed because they are notoriously under staffed. basically a chop shop. unless you've dealt with it, you really can't understand it. It's a system that needs a complete overhaul. But as long as ORV parks are being built and kids get wooden arrows supplied we can all live dumb as hell and happy.

This can't be right. It looks like the Dems in congress even hate the idea, and they are never right. :devil:

According to this, no one likes the idea, it's a bad idea, and it's not even known if it's part of the plan because the White House hasn't said it is. Looks to me like a crappy idea, sent out as a trial balloon, and I'd doubt if it eventually gets anywhere.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/17/d...o_n_176006.html

...and it's not even known if it's part of the plan because the White House hasn't said it is.

Oohhhh, just a big misunderstanding. Since it wasn't part of the plan, I'm sure the letter they're writing to the White House starts out "To Whom It May Concern..." :devil:

Even the Democrats are appalled at how Obama views our military, and I'd be willing to bet their phones have been ringing off the wall from all the outraged and disgusted Americans who put these people in office. I wonder how that conference call is going to go in a few days amongst Rehbein, Obama and Emanuel; the one where Rehbein had to come up with an alternative way to raise half a billion or put up with the White House's new plan. Should be interesting. I hope someone follows up with Rehbein.

Oohhhh, just a big misunderstanding. Since it wasn't part of the plan, I'm sure the letter they're writing to the White House starts out "To Whom It May Concern..." :lol:

Even the Democrats are appalled at how Obama views our military, and I'd be willing to bet their phones have been ringing off the wall from all the outraged and disgusted Americans who put these people in office. I wonder how that conference call is going to go in a few days amongst Rehbein, Obama and Emanuel; the one where Rehbein had to come up with an alternative way to raise half a billion or put up with the White House's new plan. Should be interesting. I hope someone follows up with Rehbein.

It's not as though this has been passed. It's not even their policy, the "plan" hasn't been released. Do you know how things work? They will find out it's not at all a good idea and that their perceived benefit is not worth the downside. They already know from the backlash it's a bad idea and invited the veterans group back to the White House tomorrow. I'll bet you it's never put in. Not to mention that congress has to pass it first and they don't like it now.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation/story/1092512.html

Angry advocates for veterans will return to the White House on Thursday to try and talk the Obama administration out of cutting health benefits.

The plan has ignited a political firestorm in the veteran’s community, and a meeting Monday with President Barack Obama failed to tamp it down. But the same veterans groups that met with Obama have been asked to come back to meet with his chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel, for more discussions.

The plan to save money by cutting veterans’ benefits remains sketchy, but the Obama administration is weighing whether to make veterans use private insurance to pay for treatment of combat injuries and other health problems that resulted from their military service.

The veterans groups clearly hate this, and they should, but I would bet they love most of the 25 billion in increases they will be getting.

It's not as though this has been passed. It's not even their policy, the "plan" hasn't been released. Do you know how things work? They will find out it's not at all a good idea and that their perceived benefit is not worth the downside. They already know from the backlash it's a bad idea and invited the veterans group back to the White House tomorrow. I'll bet you it's never put in. Not to mention that congress has to pass it first and they don't like it now.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation/story/1092512.html

The veterans groups clearly hate this, and they should, but I would bet they love most of the 25 billion in increases they will be getting.

This is clearly the follow-up meeting Obama and Emanuel said they wanted when they first presented the idea to the American Legion. Whether the purpose of the meeting has changed from "either show us another way to save $500M or we will move foward with this" remains to be seen given the currently building outrage.

I think the disconnect here is that you somehow feel that as long as this doesn't pass, then it's no harm, no foul. And that's not the case for me. It's like the recent comments from Geithner saying that AIG will repay the $165M when he deducts it from their next $30 BILLION bailout check. Just because Geithner deducts the money doesn't mean the taxpayers still didn't fund the bonuses that have yet to be returned by the AIG employees who received them.

And just because the country doesn't want military veterans to handle their own insurance to cover injuries and disabilities they sustained in war, it doesn't change the fact that Obama actually came up with the idea -- or was pitched the idea -- and somewhere in that noggin of his was a part that said "Hey, I LIKE this idea. Let's put it before the Americana Legion."

To me, that speaks VOLUMES as to what he believes about our current military, even if it falls dead in the water this very moment. That's where we differ on this.

But we'll deal with this later. First we have to watch Leno. I hope he does a silly sketch. That would be so totally awesome.

I think the disconnect here is that you somehow feel that as long as this doesn't pass, then it's no harm, no foul. And that's not the case for me.

No, the disconnect is you have no idea where this came from, how serious it was considered, whether Obama was strongly in favor of it or not, and your conclusion of seeing the idea floated was: He hates all veterans and spits in their face. And even after hearing that he is increasing protection and services and quality of facilities and care for veterans in huge amounts, your reaction to 25 billion in increases is: "He hates all veterans and spits in their face."

He has 100 things he is dealing with. Chances are very likely that he assigned people on his staff that work on budgets and the military and veterans issues to go out and find ways we can make this more efficient, streamline areas, make cuts, save money, and provide better service. They came back with dozens of ideas across the board including that one. It includes an overall 25 billion in increases to veterans facilities and benefits, and it also includes numerous ways of cutting things out or changing how it has been done before (like this did).

They lay out a bunch of their proposals and say this is what we're thinking of doing. The veterans groups see that particular part of the plan and, rightfully, throw a schitfit because even though it saves money, it puts way too much strain on the veterans. It's just plain bad and they won't stand for it. They're pissed as you are and probably more so. Obama and his staff see this and say this is gonna kill us, it's not worth it, it's a bad idea, we screwed up, get them back here and see what we can do to fix it.

Your concept of what happened is Obama called in his staff and said, "Find me all the ways we can sh-- on veterans and lets go fukk those pieces of crap."

No, the disconnect is you have no idea where this came from

What in the hell are you talking about? The plan to shift military benefits to the private sector WAS DELIVERED IN PERSON to the American Legion BY OBAMA. According to the head of the American Legion, Obama and Emanuel said "we're going to do this and if you don't like it, find another way to save half a million dollars. We'll meet in a few days to hear your side."

WASHINGTON, March 16 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The leader of the nation's largest veterans organization says he is "deeply disappointed and concerned" after a meeting with President Obama today to discuss a proposal to force private insurance companies to pay for the treatment of military veterans who have suffered service-connected disabilities and injuries. The Obama administration recently revealed a plan to require private insurance carriers to reimburse the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in such cases.

I have yet to hear Gibbs refute the commander's comments. In fact, NO ONE has refuted the comments. Which means the commanader was accurate in his assessment because we all know Gibbs will be the FIRST one to swing at anyone who seems to inaccurately disrespect the boss.

Regardless of who came up with the idea first, OBAMA thought it was a good idea and delivered it. That makes it HIS gig. And you're damn right this is a spit in the face to ALL American military personnel.

Suggesting it was just someone else's idea and Obama was just spitballing the concept is like saying all the really bad parts of the stimulus bill really aren't on Obama since all he did was sign the freaking thing.

And for a guy who has 100 things going on, I think it's interesting that #3 on his list today is to appear on Leno.

What in the hell are you talking about? The plan to shift military benefits to the private sector WAS DELIVERED IN PERSON to the American Legion BY OBAMA. According to the head of the American Legion, Obama and Emanuel said "we're going to do this and if you don't like it, find another way to save half a million dollars. We'll meet in a few days to hear your side."

I have yet to hear Gibbs refute the commander's comments. In fact, NO ONE has refuted the comments. Which means the commanader was accurate in his assessment because we all know Gibbs will be the FIRST one to swing at anyone who seems to inaccurately disrespect the boss.

Regardless of who came up with the idea first, OBAMA thought it was a good idea and delivered it. That makes it HIS gig. And you're damn right this is a spit in the face to ALL American military personnel.

Suggesting it was just someone else's idea and Obama was just spitballing the concept is like saying all the really bad parts of the stimulus bill really aren't on Obama since all he did was sign the freaking thing.

And for a guy who has 100 things going on, I think it's interesting that #3 on his list today is to appear on Leno.

If you want the bad parts to be considered HIS GIG, than all the good parts are HIS GIG. Fair enough. All of the 25 billion in improvements were Obama's idea from the start and he is responsible for all of it. He researched all the plans himself and came up with all these great ideas for improving the facilities and helping brain trauma and it was his sole idea to add 500,000 veterans to the benefit plan over the next five years. Man this guy works hard. You're just being ridiculous.

Despite the criticism over the proposal, veterans groups generally have given the administration high marks for increasing the VA's budget.

"Overall we are very pleased with the president's proposed budget," Mr. Rehbein said. "It's not that we're just standing here with a baseball bat ready to hammer somebody."

That was from the conservative Washington Times article. Apparently, Rehbein is very pleased with the President, except this one thing.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/mar/1...s-spurs-outcry/

If you want the bad parts to be considered HIS GIG, than all the good parts are HIS GIG. Fair enough. All of the 25 billion in improvements were Obama's idea from the start and he is responsible for all of it. He researched all the plans himself and came up with all these great ideas for improving the facilities and helping brain trauma and it was his sole idea to add 500,000 veterans to the benefit plan over the next five years. Man this guy works hard. You're just being ridiculous.

That was from the conservative Washington Times article. Apparently, Rehbein is very pleased with the President, except this one thing.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/mar/1...s-spurs-outcry/

None of which disputes the fact that presenting this idea is a clear indication of how the president views his military. If the man had an OUNCE of respect for the men and women serving this country, the idea would have died before it ever left his lips. In fact, the very concept that he is giving them $25B to operate, and yet STILL plans to nickel and dime the very people in the trenches doing the real work is a bitchslap of embarrassing proportions.

And I will gladly, happily, cheerfully give Obama credit for the good parts of "his gig" just as soon as he presents any that don't involve driving us into into personal, lifelong debt by passing along our money to the very people and organizations who put him in office.

And for what it's worth, Jon Stewart abuses the Obama administration for the plan yesterday, too, in his new "That can't be right" segment. ;):sick: So apparently, he's not exclusively a partisan hack either.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jh...-right-veterans

Thank you, John Stewart, for proving my point. (I actually really like Stewart a lot.) THIS is how Obama views the men and women of the military? How long before Obama DOES suggest putting a water park in Arlington?

Thanks for finally getting on board with my original premise. :lol:

None of which disputes the fact that presenting this idea is a clear indication of how the president views his military. If the man had an OUNCE of respect for the men and women serving this country, the idea would have died before it ever left his lips. In fact, the very concept that he is giving them $25B to operate, and yet STILL plans to nickel and dime the very people in the trenches doing the real work is a bitchslap of embarrassing proportions.

Face facts, bub. Rehbein thinks 15 of Obama's 16 ounces of respect are right where they should be. And one of those ounces is entirely misplaced. :devil: And as soon as this one ounce is gone from consideration, the commander will go from very pleased to thrilled with the new Prez's position and plan for veterans. :censored:

Face facts, bub. Rehbein thinks 15 of Obama's 16 ounces of respect are right where they should be. And one of those ounces is entirely misplaced. :devil: And as soon as this one ounce is gone from consideration, the commander will go from very pleased to thrilled with the new Prez's position and plan for veterans. :censored:

And yet that one ounce is disgusting, disrespectful and pisses on the very men and women who protect this country. No person would even THINK up such a pathetic act UNLESS they could give a rat's ass for their military.

But hey...Rehbein says he's happy his new boss is giving him less money per year than was just committed to Acorn in the stimulus bill, so all is forgotten by the left.

Being on Leno couldn't come at a better time. Maybe he'll use the airtime add to his support of Geithner. :lol:

And yet that one ounce is disgusting, disrespectful and pisses on the very men and women who protect this country. No person would even THINK up such a pathetic act UNLESS they could give a rat's ass for their military.

But hey...Rehbein says he's happy his new boss is giving him less money per year than was just committed to Acorn in the stimulus bill, so all is forgotten by the left.

Being on Leno couldn't come at a better time. Maybe he'll use the airtime add to his support of Geithner. :censored:

As usual... ridiculous.

As usual...articulate. How about explaining what is so ridiculous?

Just your constant blasting of Obama is bad for this and bad for that. Dear god the guy has been in office for what 60 days? And to say he doesn't care about our soldiers. It's all ridiculous.

Just your constant blasting of Obama is bad for this and bad for that. Dear god the guy has been in office for what 60 days? And to say he doesn't care about our soldiers. It's all ridiculous.

Yeah, it takes at least a year for a president to truly demonstrate he doesn't give a sh-- about something.

Although personally...I thought that with "Don't ask, don't tell", Clinton did a bang-up job proving in thirty days that he didn't give a sh-- about anything. Every other president I can think of, though...about a year.