Wilson said he wanted Cutler in the 2006 draft

Does anyone remember the announcers talking about how Wilson wanted Jay Cutler at the #8 spot in the 2006 NFL draft? They mentioned how he was pushing for it, but Levy talked him into the Whitner pick. They even mentioned Buffalo trying to trade back into the 1st to pick up Cutler. I could see Wilson pushing for a Cutler trade now that he's available again.....and possibly picking Scheffler up as well. Not to mention the fact that McDaniels probably wants to trade Cutler to the AFC east, just to stick it to Belichick.

To Buffalo: Cutler, Scheffler, 3rd round pick

To Denver: Edwards, 1st round pick

I think it was reported as Mod-RAT....er sorry Modrak that said he wanted Cutler. I'm sure Wilson agreed. The media specifically said Modrak was elevated to the "inner circle" because his belief on the Cutler pick (as silly as both "inner circle" and promoting a guy b/c of a pick you didnt make sounds). I'm sure there is more to the promotion.

And regards to "sticking it to Bill," from what I've read Belichick and McDaniels are on good terms, surprisingly. This wasn't supposed to be a Mangini situation, Bill let McDaniels go on good terms.

And Mort was the one who speculated that the Pats* leaked the Cassell/Cutler/TB story, but almost instantly apoligized for speculating when he didnt have hard evidence. He even wrote that McDaniels/Belichick good relations wouldn't allow Bellichick to be THAT much of a jerk.

But who knows?

And on a side note, I never thought of this...what is that supposed to say about what the team thinks of Whitner now if Ralph is "supposedly" promoting Modrak because he thought we should have gotten Cutler over Whitner? We made the wrong choice Donte?

Probably digging way too deep on speculation here..

Does anyone remember the announcers talking about how Wilson wanted Jay Cutler at the #8 spot in the 2006 NFL draft? They mentioned how he was pushing for it, but Levy talked him into the Whitner pick. They even mentioned Buffalo trying to trade back into the 1st to pick up Cutler. I could see Wilson pushing for a Cutler trade now that he's available again.....and possibly picking Scheffler up as well. Not to mention the fact that McDaniels probably wants to trade Cutler to the AFC east, just to stick it to Belichick.

I would be in favor of a deal that would send Edwards to Denver and Cutler to Buffalo. But the preceding thought is a little out there and places you and I in the minority. So expect to be flamed hard in reply to your post.

This scenario has us giving up a 1st Round pick for two things that aren't needs.

Granted, we do need a TE. But with us signing T.O., the need has diminished quite a bit. On top of that fact, this is a really deep draft for TE's. We could grab one in the 2nd or 3rd that would work out just fine.

As much as the thought of Cutler throwing deep balls to Evans and T.O. makes me salivate, we can't give up our 1st.

Um, no way we Cutler, Scheffler and a 3rd round pick for just Edwards and #11 pick...

If you are going to include Scheffler in the trade, then more likely has us sending the extra 3rd pick to them, not the other way around...

Cutler and Scheffler for Edwards, #11 pick and 3rd round pick would be more realistic and I say jump all over it!

As much as the thought of Cutler throwing deep balls to Evans and T.O. makes me salivate, we can't give up our 1st.

Why cant you? Young franchise Pro Bowl QB's dont come available very often, and Edwards is still unproven. He has potential but hasnt put it all together yet on the field...Cutler keeps getting better every year and is already at a Pro Bowl level.

Um, no way we Cutler, Scheffler and a 3rd round pick for just Edwards and #11 pick...

If you are going to include Scheffler in the trade, then more likely has us sending the extra 3rd pick to them, not the other way around...

Cutler and Scheffler for Edwards, #11 pick and 3rd round pick would be more realistic and I say jump all over it!

I prefer Edwards to Cutler, although I realize many would disagree and I accept their logic. However, if I were to venture a guess, I would think that McDaniels would actually prefer Edwards, who is far more a Pats-type QB (in the Brady/Cassel mold) than Cutler is. I think Denver might take a straight-up trade of Cutler for Edwards. Edwards is an excellent system QB - smart and accurate.

Don't know about what the announcers said, but this is definitely NOT my recollection of what happened back in 2006. Marv made it clear heading into the draft that the team was NOT going to select a QB in the first round because they wanted to see what they had in JP AND they didn't want to place undue burden on a highly drafted rookie QB. I think these quotes were based on what would the Bills do if Leinart or Young fell to the #8 spot.

AFTER the draft, Marv admitted that they had Cutler ranked as the top QB on their board. So, if they HAD drafted a QB there it would have been him. Right or wrong, the front office was very high on Whitner. Remember that they reportedly turned down one or more trade-down opportunities in order to stay put and draft him at #8. If the conjecture that Ralp promoted Modrak because of his being "right" about Cutler is true, it could be that he is acknowledging Modrak for his accurate draft board, where he had Cutler ranked ahead of both Young and Leinart -- not that he was necessarily advocating that the team select Culter over Whitner.

Why cant you? Young franchise Pro Bowl QB's dont come available very often, and Edwards is still unproven. He has potential but hasnt put it all together yet on the field...Cutler keeps getting better every year and is already at a Pro Bowl level.

It would be so awesome to get him. Watched Cutler in college and he reminded me a little of Jim Kelly. I'm sure it won't happen, but it does look as if cutler is going to leave Denver. Interesting...

Don't know about what the announcers said, but this is definitely NOT my recollection of what happened back in 2006. Marv made it clear heading into the draft that the team was NOT going to select a QB in the first round because they wanted to see what they had in JP AND they didn't want to place undue burden on a highly drafted rookie QB. I think these quotes were based on what would the Bills do if Leinart or Young fell to the #8 spot.

AFTER the draft, Marv admitted that they had Cutler ranked as the top QB on their board. So, if they HAD drafted a QB there it would have been him. Right or wrong, the front office was very high on Whitner. Remember that they reportedly turned down one or more trade-down opportunities in order to stay put and draft him at #8. If the conjecture that Ralp promoted Modrak because of his being "right" about Cutler is true, it could be that he is acknowledging Modrak for his accurate draft board, where he had Cutler ranked ahead of both Young and Leinart -- not that he was necessarily advocating that the team select Culter over Whitner.

Very true.

If memory serves me correctly, they tried to trade up back into the first round to get Cutler though and I believe they had a deal in place one spot behind Denver and then when Denver took him they didnt make the trade up.

We can't because as of this moment we need the following things:

Starting TE

Starting OLG

Starting OLB

Starting DE or DT (a replacement to either Kyle or Kelsay, for pass-rush)

Starting SS (IMO Scott/Simpson don't cut it next to Whitner)

-

Starting OLT (Only if Jason Peters is going to be a problem and is traded)

As far as a Safety, TE, or DE/DT goes; the free agent market is slim to none. We need to replace those positions with draft picks.

Basically, we have a LOT of holes on this team. As sweet as having Cutler would be, QB isn't a need.

I doubt they would give us all of that for Edwards and a 1st.

We would be lucky to get Cutler for Edwards and a 1st. I highly doubt they would give us scheffler AND a 3rd.

I prefer Edwards to Cutler, although I realize many would disagree and I accept their logic. However, if I were to venture a guess, I would think that McDaniels would actually prefer Edwards, who is far more a Pats-type QB (in the Brady/Cassel mold) than Cutler is. I think Denver might take a straight-up trade of Cutler for Edwards. Edwards is an excellent system QB - smart and accurate.

LOL

It was Wilson saying He remembered that Modrak wanted Cutler...He mentioned this when He elevated Modrak to the "Inner Circle." ;)

Starting TE

Starting OLG

Starting OLB

Agree with everything but SS. Scott is a decent SS. We need a FS, not SS. Scott is a good starter, Whitner is a good back-up, but we need a ball-hawk in the backfield.

LOL

Any explanation why it's laughable? Is Edwards any worse than Cassel? I'd say he's better and shows more promise, and if you were to ask McDaniel who he prefers - Cassel or Cutler - I'm quite sure he'd say the former and would gladly trade them straight up. Judging from how the Pats ran their offense, I don't think that Cutler is his ideal QB.

Starting TE

Starting OLG

Starting OLB

-

Starting OLT (Only if Jason Peters is going to be a problem and is traded)

As far as a Safety, TE, or DE/DT goes; the free agent market is slim to none. We need to replace those positions with draft picks.

Basically, we have a LOT of holes on this team. As sweet as having Cutler would be, QB isn't a need.

I am not a huge Cutler fan but if the "brass" believes Cutler is a bona fide Pro Bowler and the jury is still out on TE, I think it should be considered. The only reason he's available is a change in regime and internal politics. No one saw this coming.

Other needs aside, it's whether Cutler > Edwards and #11. Chances are in 3 years, one team will be a huge winner in this proposed trade. I just don't know which team it will be.