If you were the GM of the Bills, what kind of picks, moves and trades

Before anyone gets a bent hanger up their @$$, I'm going to put in a disclaimer.

*This thread is fictitious and is meant for entertainment and creativity purposes only. Please add your scenarios if you were the acting GM for the Bills in the upcoming draft. Thank you and enjoy.

The first call of order I would do is trade Jason Peters to the Philadelphia Eagles for their first 1st rd pick (#21) and their 4th rder (#117).

1st rd (#11)- Ole Miss OT Michael Oher

1st rd (#21)- Ole Miss DT Peria Jerry

2nd rd (#42)- Oklahoma OG Duke Robinson

3rd rd (#75)- Ohio State OLB Marcus Freeman

4th rd (#106)- Texas Tech DE Brandon Williams

4th rd (#117)- I would trade this pick to the Denver Broncos for TE Tony Scheffler.

5th rd (#139)- Rutger SS Courtney Greene

6th rd (#170)- Ball State OT Robert Brewster

7th rd (#202)- Virginia ILB Antonio Appleby

It was just a coincidence that the first 2 picks were from the same school but I believe that both players are the best available for our positions of need.

I would also add FA OL Kevin Shaffer and would seriously attempt to re-sign LB Angelo Crowell. I would then shift Langston Walker to LT, start Duke Robinson at LG, Geoff Hangartner at C, keep Brad Butler at RG and start Kevin Shaffer at RT. I would have Demetrius Bell and Michael Oher for developement, depth and rotation. This line would be seasoned with quality youth and depth for the upcoming year with massive size and agility. In 2010 I would have to re-evaluate Walker's contract to see if it was condusive to our long term goals and if Shaffer didn't prove to be a solid T for us we would have Oher and Bell to fill their positions.

Trade Peters for Eagles #21 and #28

11 Jenkins (to play FS)

21 Oher or Andre Smith (RT)

28 Michael Johnson

43 Duke Robinson

75 Alex Magee

106 Brandon Williams

139 Cornelius Ingram

170 Kory Sheets

202 John Parker Wilson

Sign Crowell and if cheap enough Keiaho or June

My first move would be to recognize that George Allen used to say, the future is now. This is doubly true for the Bills as we around 0 for a decade in terms of getting to the playoffs and because Ralph ain't getting any younger.

If I am the Bills GM, I have no interest whatsoever in trading to get draft choices who at best are 50/50 in real life to even be starters in their first year (though the conventional wisdom driven by our interest in the draft powered by the over-promotion of ESPN and folks doing fantasy leagues is that a first year pick should be a first year starter- generally this is only true of the elite players {which I define as a top 10 pick}). The simple fact in the real world is that getting draft choices in exchange for proven NFL players is almost certainly a loser's strategy on the timeline that should be relevant to the immediate playoff berth seeking Bills and to old man Wilson.

Thus, as GM-

1. I use the significant remaining cap room I have to strengthen the OL which has major holes left in it with the failure of Dockery, Fowler, and Preston. Hamgartner to me is a good pick-up but he interests me more as a G or back-up C than the Kent Hull we probably will not get but I long for.

In terns of FAs folks like Simmons interest me or Bentley if the Bills docs say is worth the risk.

2. I think that the best move for this team is actually not to use the TE as a receiver. We do not really have two receiving TEs we can count on as #1s to be used as centerpieces in our O (Fine showed some flashes of potential in his injury plagued rookie year, but really needs to produce over a full year before anyone intelligent relies on him). Just as we need to see a full year of Fine before we rely on him, it strikes me as way too risky to figure reaching for a player like Pettigrew (seemingly the best of the TEs in this draft) is a bad strategy as there is a fair likelihood that he will need at least half a season (if we are lucky) and probably a full year+ and he can be counted upon as a starter.

I would be more interested in seeing us go with 3 WRs as our base O and reduce the TE need to finding basically a sixth OL player with a primary duty for this team in opening holes for Lynch and keeping Edwards off his butt. Whether this is best done by an FB who primarily is a blocker or a TE who primarily is a blocker I am open for.

If we insist on using the TE as a receiving threat I am more interested in trading the crapshoot of draft choices to get Gonzales from KC than I am in drafting a player who may (but probably will not not) be the Pettigrew (he is a good player but TE is simply a very different thing to play as pro than in college- LBs are simply quicker and can cover TEs unlike most college players and pro safeties are simply big hitters rather than failed CBs as they often are in college).

Instead of the bad football moves mentioned above in order to give this team a chance to get into the playoffs this year I would

A. Leading with the moves mentioned above to move to reinforce the OL. If I see an OL talent I think is a good depth pick later in the draft I get him but generally I do not think the draft is gonna get us a first year starter on OL.

B. I am interested in reinforcing us at LB. I think the seemingly renewed interest in Crowell is either the cause of or an effect of us not signing FAs we were looking at like Peterson. I actually think we are sitting on a potential stockpile of LBs with some talents like JD, Ellison, and Bowen, but IMHO none of these players are the difference maker we want at OLB and at best are back-up level players. I do not feel horrendous if an injury to a quality starter (like the one that felled Pos in his rookie year force us to rely on a player like JD, however, I do not feel all that sanguine about things is the best we can do at LB is start JD.

C. Depth and competition are always a good thing to have. This is the primary use I would put the draft toward. Those who have seen the players are a far better judge than I am or anyone else whose primary sources of info are websites and magazines. If I was GM I would be aware of what the public thinks because the customer is always right, but for the most part my advice would ignore anything offered on websites such as TSW or other fan advice or ranting.

D. Show Peters the money and lock him up as a likely fixture on our OL for years to come. I know folks are pissed at his attitude but to let this stand in the way of us holding onto a LT in today's NFL would be simply childish.

Did his production in 08 decline from his production in 07?

Yep.

Was this decline in some part due to his own greediness for missing pre-season and getting a slow start to the year?

Yep.

However, the fact remains that his production based on the popularity contest assessment of coaches, his fellow players and fans caused him to be named to the Pro Bowl at LT twice. He has flaws yep, but he also is good and by many judgments very good. he likely in part made the Pro Bowl last year because from the stats kept by how many sacks he was responsible for giving up last year a disproportionate number came in the first half of the season when he was making his too slow start and actually by the end of the season was beginning to look like the previous year Pro Bowler.

The Bills made an outstanding choice signing this UDFA who has since made the Pro Bowl and they got him for a fiscal song. The Bills also intelligently extended him at starting RT money and then moved him to LT. The Bills have made out like a bandit on Peters for several years and even by overpaying him now the Bills are still ahead of the game financially.

Don't be pigs show him the money.

If I were GM this is what I would do.

If I were GM, I'd get the Peters deal done before the draft and out of the way. Re-signed that is. Offer him a 5 year $50 million dollar deal with incentives based on performance (sacks allowed) and personal achievements such as Pro Bowl selections or All Pro selections that could add up to $2-$3 million more per season.

Second, trade Roscoe for a 4th Round pick. I would then couple both 4th's for Scheffler. He's a good, young all around TE that would be a staple in this offense for years to come. Trade for him and re-sign him long term.

Third, try to work out a deal for Waters from KC with our 5th if possible, and maybe a compensatory based on his performance. Hopefully KC would depart with the unhappy OL. Again we trade for and re-sign for 3 or 4 years.

Fourth, in FA I would sign Kendall Simmons for OL depth if nothing else. I would also sign one of the 3 LB's out there worth anything in Keiaho, June, or Crowell. They all know the system and could start. I'd see if I could talk Leonard Weaver and his agent back to earth (as it relates to him wanting RB type money)and sign the guy for 4 or 5 years.

That would leave us with our 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, and 7th in this year's draft. Here would be my selections by round:

1. Peria Jerry / DT / Ole Miss - Disruptive force to go along with Stroud

2. Connor Barwin / DE / Cincinnatti - One of the fastest first steps in the DE class and gets to the QB

3. Travis Beckum / TE / Wisconsin - Has recovered completely and was a 1st round prospect until this year. Steal.

6. Jamarca Sanford / S / Ole Miss - A big hitting SS that is murder against the run and capable enough in pass coverage

7. Robby Felix / C / UTEP - Started 46 games in a row. Strong and fights in the trenches. Possible good NFL player.

2. Connor Barwin / DE / Cincinnatti - One of the fastest first steps in the DE class and gets to the QB

Would love to see the Bills have a chance at him in the 2nd. I can already tell you the patriots are going to draft him and he is probably going to menace us for the next 10 years.

Would love to see the Bills have a chance at him in the 2nd. I can already tell you the patriots are going to draft him and he is probably going to menace us for the next 10 years.

The Bills have to be looking at what the Pats are doing - right? They have been a Jauron killer every year and there are reports that the Pats are trying to sign Julius Peppers.

If I were GM, I would make a move for a quality TE....yeah, Pettigrew might drop down in the draft, but this is one position the Bills have not been able to fill in a very long time. Why not try for Tony Gonzalez?

The Bills have to be looking at what the Pats are doing - right? They have been a Jauron killer every year and there are reports that the Pats are trying to sign Julius Peppers.

If I were GM, I would make a move for a quality TE....yeah, Pettigrew might drop down in the draft, but this is one position the Bills have not been able to fill in a very long time. Why not try for Tony Gonzalez?

If I were the GM I would be Mackin on the Jills :lol:

Before anyone gets a bent hanger up their @$$, I'm going to put in a disclaimer.

*This thread is fictitious and is meant for entertainment and creativity purposes only. Please add your scenarios if you were the acting GM for the Bills in the upcoming draft. Thank you and enjoy.

The first call of order I would do is trade Jason Peters to the Philadelphia Eagles for their first 1st rd pick (#21) and their 4th rder (#117).

1st rd (#11)- Ole Miss OT Michael Oher

1st rd (#21)- Ole Miss DT Peria Jerry

2nd rd (#42)- Oklahoma OG Duke Robinson

3rd rd (#75)- Ohio State OLB Marcus Freeman

4th rd (#106)- Texas Tech DE Brandon Williams

4th rd (#117)- I would trade this pick to the Denver Broncos for TE Tony Scheffler.

5th rd (#139)- Rutger SS Courtney Greene

6th rd (#170)- Ball State OT Robert Brewster

7th rd (#202)- Virginia ILB Antonio Appleby

It was just a coincidence that the first 2 picks were from the same school but I believe that both players are the best available for our positions of need.

I would also add FA OL Kevin Shaffer and would seriously attempt to re-sign LB Angelo Crowell. I would then shift Langston Walker to LT, start Duke Robinson at LG, Geoff Hangartner at C, keep Brad Butler at RG and start Kevin Shaffer at RT. I would have Demetrius Bell and Michael Oher for developement, depth and rotation. This line would be seasoned with quality youth and depth for the upcoming year with massive size and agility. In 2010 I would have to re-evaluate Walker's contract to see if it was condusive to our long term goals and if Shaffer didn't prove to be a solid T for us we would have Oher and Bell to fill their positions.

What about Chambers. I have a tendency to watch the line pretty close, especially in boring games (like the last 10 of this past season), and what I saw from him is a solid OL...he played, at one point, both tackles, and guard and he didn't seem to miss much, at all.

What about Chambers. I have a tendency to watch the line pretty close, especially in boring games (like the last 10 of this past season), and what I saw from him is a solid OL...he played, at one point, both tackles, and guard and he didn't seem to miss much, at all.

Good point. He would have to be given strong consideration of playing in front of Bell and Oher. If that were the case then it would give these two younger guys time to develope more during the 2009 season so that they would be more prepared for the 2010 season.

1.) Sign Angelo Crowell, Freddy Kaiho, Cato June, or Marcus Washington for OLB

2.) Sign Mike Goff for OLG

3.) Sign Kevin Shaffer for ORT and move Langston Walker to OLT. Train the crap out of DeMetrius Bell

4.) Trade Jason Peters to Eagles for a 1st (#21) and a 3rd.

5.) Trade Trent Edwards, Roscoe Parrish, 2009 2nd, 2009 3rd (from Eagles), & 2010 1st for Jay Cutler and Tony Scheffler

6.) Take Malcolm Jenkins at #11 (move to FS), take DE/DT at #21 (Whomever's left Orakpo/Brown/Maybin/Jackson/Ayers/Johnson/Jerry)

1.) Sign Angelo Crowell, Freddy Kaiho, Cato June, or Marcus Washington for OLB

2.) Sign Mike Goff for OLG

3.) Sign Orlando Pace for OT (1 or 2 year deal)

4.) Trade Jason Peters to Eagles for a 1st (#21) and a 2nd.

5.) Trade Trent Edwards, Roscoe Parrish, 2009 2nd (from Eagles), 2009 3rd, & 2010 1st for Jay Cutler and Tony Scheffler

6.) Take Michael Oehr at #11, DE at #21 (Whomever's left Orakpo/Brown/Maybin/Jackson/Ayers/Johnson), and S in the 2nd (Louis Delmas or William Moore)

I'm totally behind you on getting Cutler/Scheffler, but we can't afford to lose the backbone to the best special teams unit in the NFL. That being said, I also think that you can't give up a first round pick in 2010 that is going to be stacked full of quality QB's (Bradford, McCoy, Tebow, etc.) But I like the way you are thinking! :lol:

Bottom line is that if they really want to make a run or at least keep up with the rest of the AFC East. They HAVE to make some more moves. I like the idea of trading Peters for two #1's from the Eagles. And trading our #11 to get Peppers.

I'm totally behind you on getting Cutler/Scheffler, but we can't afford to lose the backbone to the best special teams unit in the NFL. That being said, I also think that you can't give up a first round pick in 2010 that is going to be stacked full of quality QB's (Bradford, McCoy, Tebow, etc.) But I like the way you are thinking! :lol:

I wouldn't call Roscoe Parrish the backbone of our ST's. He's a good returner. But with his minimal production in our recieving game, T.O.'s addition, and McKelvin getting better and better at returning; Parrish is an expendable luxury for us.

As for 2010 being stacked with quality QB's, i'd say Bradford is the only real "can't miss" type. We'd need #1 to get him. Plus, i'd take Cutler over any rookie experiment any day.

P.S. I changed my OT idea a bit.

FA:

1) I would trade a 4th for Tony Scheffler and give him a 4-5 year extension to make sure this isn't his only year in Buffalo.

2) Extend Peters, somewhere around 9-10 mil a year, ensuring he and his agent back off the 11.5/year with performance incentives that would allow it to reach that only if he allowed- less than 8 sacks that season, went to probowl or team went more than round one in playoffs.

3) Sign either Mike Goff or Shaffer to be veteran starter/depth at guard. Challenged by draftee.

4) Sign Bertrand Berry to a one-year deal and cut either Kelsay/Denney or a Linebacker (not until late in camp). Buffers us against being the last to the dance for the pass rush roundup in the top ten.

Draft:

Depends really on what happens with the top ten. Once that shook out, I'd look for in rounds 1,2 and 3 a Pass rusher, guard and safety. Round 4 is gone for Scheffler. Rounds 5-7 would be depth and maybe a Fullback to push McIntyre.

Nice job DazedandConfused !

"The simple fact in the real world is that getting draft choices in exchange for proven NFL players is almost certainly a loser's strategy". I look at this current Bills team as a part of what Marv started post TD. So in my mind this team has already been rebuilding for 4 years. Brandon and Jauron have both said publically, that the time to win is now. Dumping players for draft picks is what you do when you are in Detroit's situation, not Buffalo's. Sign Peters, sign a vet guard like Goff and draft some tough players no more wideouts and cb's. Cold weather, battle tested tough guys.

My first move would be to recognize that George Allen used to say, the future is now. This is doubly true for the Bills as we around 0 for a decade in terms of getting to the playoffs and because Ralph ain't getting any younger.

If I am the Bills GM, I have no interest whatsoever in trading to get draft choices who at best are 50/50 in real life to even be starters in their first year (though the conventional wisdom driven by our interest in the draft powered by the over-promotion of ESPN and folks doing fantasy leagues is that a first year pick should be a first year starter- generally this is only true of the elite players {which I define as a top 10 pick}). The simple fact in the real world is that getting draft choices in exchange for proven NFL players is almost certainly a loser's strategy on the timeline that should be relevant to the immediate playoff berth seeking Bills and to old man Wilson.

Thus, as GM-

1. I use the significant remaining cap room I have to strengthen the OL which has major holes left in it with the failure of Dockery, Fowler, and Preston. Hamgartner to me is a good pick-up but he interests me more as a G or back-up C than the Kent Hull we probably will not get but I long for.

In terns of FAs folks like Simmons interest me or Bentley if the Bills docs say is worth the risk.

2. I think that the best move for this team is actually not to use the TE as a receiver. We do not really have two receiving TEs we can count on as #1s to be used as centerpieces in our O (Fine showed some flashes of potential in his injury plagued rookie year, but really needs to produce over a full year before anyone intelligent relies on him). Just as we need to see a full year of Fine before we rely on him, it strikes me as way too risky to figure reaching for a player like Pettigrew (seemingly the best of the TEs in this draft) is a bad strategy as there is a fair likelihood that he will need at least half a season (if we are lucky) and probably a full year+ and he can be counted upon as a starter.

I would be more interested in seeing us go with 3 WRs as our base O and reduce the TE need to finding basically a sixth OL player with a primary duty for this team in opening holes for Lynch and keeping Edwards off his butt. Whether this is best done by an FB who primarily is a blocker or a TE who primarily is a blocker I am open for.

If we insist on using the TE as a receiving threat I am more interested in trading the crapshoot of draft choices to get Gonzales from KC than I am in drafting a player who may (but probably will not not) be the Pettigrew (he is a good player but TE is simply a very different thing to play as pro than in college- LBs are simply quicker and can cover TEs unlike most college players and pro safeties are simply big hitters rather than failed CBs as they often are in college).

Instead of the bad football moves mentioned above in order to give this team a chance to get into the playoffs this year I would

A. Leading with the moves mentioned above to move to reinforce the OL. If I see an OL talent I think is a good depth pick later in the draft I get him but generally I do not think the draft is gonna get us a first year starter on OL.

B. I am interested in reinforcing us at LB. I think the seemingly renewed interest in Crowell is either the cause of or an effect of us not signing FAs we were looking at like Peterson. I actually think we are sitting on a potential stockpile of LBs with some talents like JD, Ellison, and Bowen, but IMHO none of these players are the difference maker we want at OLB and at best are back-up level players. I do not feel horrendous if an injury to a quality starter (like the one that felled Pos in his rookie year force us to rely on a player like JD, however, I do not feel all that sanguine about things is the best we can do at LB is start JD.

C. Depth and competition are always a good thing to have. This is the primary use I would put the draft toward. Those who have seen the players are a far better judge than I am or anyone else whose primary sources of info are websites and magazines. If I was GM I would be aware of what the public thinks because the customer is always right, but for the most part my advice would ignore anything offered on websites such as TSW or other fan advice or ranting.

D. Show Peters the money and lock him up as a likely fixture on our OL for years to come. I know folks are pissed at his attitude but to let this stand in the way of us holding onto a LT in today's NFL would be simply childish.

Did his production in 08 decline from his production in 07?

Yep.

Was this decline in some part due to his own greediness for missing pre-season and getting a slow start to the year?

Yep.

However, the fact remains that his production based on the popularity contest assessment of coaches, his fellow players and fans caused him to be named to the Pro Bowl at LT twice. He has flaws yep, but he also is good and by many judgments very good. he likely in part made the Pro Bowl last year because from the stats kept by how many sacks he was responsible for giving up last year a disproportionate number came in the first half of the season when he was making his too slow start and actually by the end of the season was beginning to look like the previous year Pro Bowler.

The Bills made an outstanding choice signing this UDFA who has since made the Pro Bowl and they got him for a fiscal song. The Bills also intelligently extended him at starting RT money and then moved him to LT. The Bills have made out like a bandit on Peters for several years and even by overpaying him now the Bills are still ahead of the game financially.

Don't be pigs show him the money.

If I were GM this is what I would do.