What are we going to do with 6 WR

mike6683

We now have 6 wrs on the roster TO, Lee, josh, Roscoe, all definitely are on the roster Steve Johnson and James Hardy are only in their second year and obviously wont be cut or traded I dont think. Hardy could be on the PUP list to start the year (I really didnt follow how serious his injury was) Im curious if this is going to cause a situation for our young WRs seeing so little PT. Does anyone think were going to carry all 6?

yes. I think we might even carry 7 if we deem Jenkins a better special teamer than Wendling (who basically never sees the field on defense anyway).

Really though what happens is someone gets injured in the preseason and they get popped on IR.

I'm thinking that Roscoe could possibly be a trade target. $2.5 Million less pay and very little production as a WR. Josh Reed has shown to me that he will be a very effective slot receiver, and the leaves Roscoe odd man out. What Roscoe brings to the table is his elite PR ability. Freddy Jackson has shown he can fill in PR duty very effectively, and let's not forget about McKelvin. McKelvin was more known coming out of college for his PR abilities than his KR. So, in my view the person that is most at risk of leaving the Bills is Roscoe.

After Roscoe, I see Jenkins as the next odd man out. He hasn't and won't contribute on the offensive side of the ball field, unless some sort of freak accidents occur with our WR's. He contributed as a special teamer and that does have an importance, but if we were to keep Roscoe I just don't see how Jenkins stays. Unless we were to keep Hardy on PUP for the first half of the year and then on the practice squad through out the year if they didn't believe he was ready and we were short on special teams help.

1)Roscoe

2)Jenkins

3)Hardy

I'm thinking that Roscoe could possibly be a trade target.

For as thrilling as Roscoe can be, I think this as well. Still way too many holes to fill to hope for with draft and what's left in FA. I won't extrapolate on recent draft failures. We're only rich at WR. If any of these major holes are to be fixed before September, I think it has to come via trade.

Damn. The buzz in the stadium when -on rare occasion- we force the opponent to punt with #11 taking his place deep, will be a shame to lose. You can feel the electricity through the TV!

I'm thinking that Roscoe could possibly be a trade target. $2.5 Million less pay and very little production as a WR. Josh Reed has shown to me that he will be a very effective slot receiver, and the leaves Roscoe odd man out. What Roscoe brings to the table is his elite PR ability. Freddy Jackson has shown he can fill in PR duty very effectively, and let's not forget about McKelvin. McKelvin was more known coming out of college for his PR abilities than his KR. So, in my view the person that is most at risk of leaving the Bills is Roscoe.

After Roscoe, I see Jenkins as the next odd man out. He hasn't and won't contribute on the offensive side of the ball field, unless some sort of freak accidents occur with our WR's. He contributed as a special teamer and that does have an importance, but if we were to keep Roscoe I just don't see how Jenkins stays. Unless we were to keep Hardy on PUP for the first half of the year and then on the practice squad through out the year if they didn't believe he was ready and we were short on special teams help.

1)Roscoe

2)Jenkins

3)Hardy

i wouldn't be suprised to see the bills trade parish before the draft.

I've pondered this issue, and all I'll say is Stevie Johnson aint goin anywhere. I agree if they could get something for Roscoe, he's the odd man out. Although if they could find a way to get the ball in his hands this year, he could be a serious x-factor too. It's a good problem to have, we can leave it at that.

Seems like a strong consensus here.

I like Roscoe but I think he might be the most expendable of the receivers, especially if you add his possible trade value. Still I'd rather see the Bills keep him for one more year.

As pointed out already his place as punt returner could be taken by Leodis McKelvin of whose 8 TD returns in college, 7 were on the punt and only one on kickoff. Fred Jackson could take McKelvin's place as primary kick returner...he's pretty good returning kicks...actually he's good at everything.

Roscoe is inconsequential as a wide receiver. In four seasons he has 97 catches for 5 TDs and an average of 10.8 yards per reception. Clearly he has never played in a potent offense but the numbers are still underwhelming. He hasn't produced and he is not a weapon from scrimmage that other teams need concern themselves with.

This last point seems the most hotly debated. The counter argument that he will be more effective this year is valid...Owens should have multiple positive effects, not least of all allowing the others to play their natural positions.

I have wracked my memory trying to remember a player of similar stature who was very successful in this league as a scrimmage player.

Roscoe was measured at the combine at just under 5'10" and 170.

Anthony Carter had a great career. Carter was 5'11" and 160.

Last year's prize rookie wideouts are all small.

Donnie Avery is 5'11" and 185.

DeSean Jackson is 5'10" and 175.

Eddie Royal is 5'10 and 182.

So I suppose size alone is not the only factor which has limited Roscoe so far. I will say that he seems thinner than the others and maybe he's more easily misdirected and jammed with one hand by the DBs. Maybe he just looks thinner because he wears that number 11. But Steve Smith who is shorter at 5'9" outweighs Roscoe by 15 pounds.

Maybe he'll prove that he can add something to the offense.

Until then he has not produced from scrimmage and until he does he simply cannot be considered a true weapon in the Bills offense.

I personally dont think roscoe is going to get traded\. But what kind of value does a good punt returner have 4th 5th round pick at best He has more value to this team than that

I was thinking round 4 or 5 also. The thing you have to factor in is if they have too many bodies at the position, who do you let go?

We just re-signed Jenkins as one of our gunners. Johnson and Hardy will justly be given another year of development. Owens, Evans, and Reed are untouchables IMO. If we keep Roscoe active each week, that means Hardy or Johnson are inactives each week. With Hardy's injury recovery this might actually work out for a few weeks. Oh well, we'll see.

I was thinking round 4 or 5 also. The thing you have to factor in is if they have too many bodies at the position, who do you let go?

We just re-signed Jenkins as one of our gunners. Johnson and Hardy will justly be given another year of development. Owens, Evans, and Reed are untouchables IMO. If we keep Roscoe active each week, that means Hardy or Johnson are inactives each week. With Hardy's injury recovery this might actually work out for a few weeks. Oh well, we'll see.

I think you release Reed. He's average at best. His strongest suit is run blocking. That's important, but if you're going to eat a WR position for a run blocker, then it's no wonder the Bills have lacked playmaking ability for so many years.

The other option is to trade Roscoe....but he's like a car that's been paid off. We won't get sufficient value in return. Serving primarily as a punt returner, he's a luxury to have. Not many teams are willing to eat a roster spot on a guy who simply serves as a punt returner.