Felser Says Bills

BillsNYC

Say what you will about Jason Peters, he was a Pro Bowler last year. He was chosen by is peers not fan voting. There are people in the league that thinks he is one of the top LT's in the league and if the Bills let him go then this will prove that the T.O. signing was a marketing ploy and not to help the team win ballgames.

Making it to the Pro Bowl as an offensive lineman is more or less irrelevant. Leading the league in sacks allowed doesn't result in being the highest paid lineman in the league unless you live in topsy-turvy land.

The Bills' front office just doesn't get the fact that salaries keep going up in this league.

Prior to last year's deal for Jake Long, they probably could have signed Peters for $7.5 million. This season the Jordan Gross contract and several others have raised the table stakes even higher for an average to above average LT.

Given the likelihood that there will 4 or 5 OT's taken in the top 20 picks this year, the salary range for the position will go even higher after the upcoming draft.

By failing to reach a deal promptly, they will end up having to pay even more money to make Peters feel like he is getting market value compensation. Morover, by overpaying for mediocrities like Walker and Dockery, they catalyzed the current impasse. How could they expect Peters to be a happy camper when those guys were making so much more money playing lower priority positions on the OL?

At some point you have to take a stand. Jake Long was overpaid, but he was the #1 overall pick. If Peters doesn't understand that then good riddance. Or hey, we've got you under contract for two more years, and then we'll franchise you for $8M/year. Play hardball with him. I wouldn't have offered him $8.5M; he certainly didn't earn it.

If you think you need a top LT to win a Super Bowl, you're crazy. If you think you need a $10M/year LT to win a Super Bowl, you're crazy. The Colts won it with Tarik Glenn ($4.5M), the Patriots won it several times with Matt Light ($3.9M), the Steelers won it with Max Starks ($6.9M); the Cardinals made it with Mike Gandy ($0.6M)!!!! Give me a break; that money could be better spent elsewhere.

Born and raised in the WNY area until the economic reality forced me out. But thanks for playing.

And instead of supporting your position, you made a pathetic attempt to insult me.

The Bills defense was 14th in the league last year, both in points and yardage. It ranked 13th in passing and 22th in rushing.

The Bills offense was 23rd in points, 25th in yardage, 22nd in passing, and 14th in rushing.

The Bills cut loose their starting center and starting LG. They replaced the center (we hope), but still have not addressed the LG position. Throw in the potential of losing their starting LT on top of that, and the FO once again looks like they are half assing it in addressing the offensive problems.

So, please explain how does a pass rushing DE solve those problems?

Personally, I don't care where you're from, you still don't understand a lick about football. If you don't understand that a pass rush helps out your defense overall and helps get turnovers and more opportunities for your offense which in turn helps your offense and puts less pressure on them, this conversation is already over. You also [conveniently] ignored the fact that the Bills were 28th in the league in sacks with 24 (compared to the Super Bowl winning Steelers who were 2nd with 51), meaning we weren't getting any pressure on the QB. The tandem of Kelsay/Denney was an embarrassment.

There's some truth to the phrase "offense wins games, defense wins championships." Remember the 2007 Super Bowl?? Do they win without the Strahan/Umenyiora/Tuck/Kiwanuka/Alford combo putting pressure on Brady all night? Get a clue, dude.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its only a matter of time before Jake Long starts becoming the perenial pro bowl Left Tackle pick. And i say that not because i like him or anything but because the kid is hyped up a lot and so is that team. Voting on the o line for pro bowl is tricky. Once you get voted in you are almost a lock for a few times. Look at Rueben Brown. How many of us said how is he still getting to go to Hawaii? He was a good player that got the name and lived off it for years. A high pick who produced at a decent level. Jake Long has that written all over him. Then we will be stuck with a guy that isn't makeing pro bowls anymore but still leading the league in sacks given up.

Trade him for picks and move in. Philly sounds like the best landing spot for him. Get there highest first and a third for him. Take a great left tackle with you eleventh pick. DE with you next pick in the first, then get 3 more players that could be starts this year in the next two rounds. Or at very least 2nd stringers who get lots of playing time. Everyone here says we have whole to fill, Peters lets you address them. The guy is a malcontent. And foolish. Sitting out with three years left on your contract is idiotic.

Sacks allowed, huh? By your logic, Peters alone was responsible for every sack, right? But, when I tell you that your love puppy JP Losman had a whopping 10 wins in 5 years, you respond by telling me "it's a team game." :thumbsup::unsure:

I enjoy your posts, but you must admit that you have a habit of latching onto losers and turning your back on guys who can play. I'll prove it......

Who would you rather have on the Buffalo Bills......JP Losman or Jason Peters? Please pick one.

Fair question, Bill - the Losman story in Buffalo has ended. I'd rather have Jason Peters. But no way would I pay him the kind of money he's asking, and no way would I put up with another holdout. I'm still pissed at him for last season and, no matter what Jauron says publicly, so is the Bills' front office...

Link

I don't think the Bills are going to put up with his hold-out crap two years in a row - it'll just become standard practice for Peters to piss & moan & hold out every time someone gets a better deal than his while he shows up out of shape, unfamiliar with the playbook and offensive signals, and generally far behind the rest of the team and our opponents' teams in terms of game readiness when the season opens.

Peters needs to do all the things he should have done last year coming off an injury and off-season surgery, namely, show up for OTAs and camp, play the preseason, and start the regular season in game shape, familiar with the play book, signals, cadences, etc.

But since that's not going to happen, I'd rather trade the guy for players and picks than see him hurt the team again with a holdout. He should be worth 2 firsts, or a high first and high 2nd, or even multiple picks over 2-3 years depending on how badly someone covets him.

Its only a matter of time before Jake Long starts becoming the perenial pro bowl Left Tackle pick. And i say that not because i like him or anything but because the kid is hyped up a lot and so is that team. Voting on the o line for pro bowl is tricky. Once you get voted in you are almost a lock for a few times. Look at Rueben Brown. How many of us said how is he still getting to go to Hawaii? He was a good player that got the name and lived off it for years. A high pick who produced at a decent level. Jake Long has that written all over him. Then we will be stuck with a guy that isn't makeing pro bowls anymore but still leading the league in sacks given up.

Trade him for picks and move in. Philly sounds like the best landing spot for him. Get there highest first and a third for him. Take a great left tackle with you eleventh pick. DE with you next pick in the first, then get 3 more players that could be starts this year in the next two rounds. Or at very least 2nd stringers who get lots of playing time. Everyone here says we have whole to fill, Peters lets you address them. The guy is a malcontent. And foolish. Sitting out with three years left on your contract is idiotic.

Ruben Brown was a great player that got run out of town by people who needed a scapegoat- plain and simple. Not popular, but fact. He was surrounded by scraps and scrubs- much like what we've had so we could draft fluff like Roscoe Parrish. A place that favors Parrish and Owens over Peters and Brown- not exactly a football town. Maybe a better sight for a reality show filming

Hey i am the biggest proponent that Oline is the area you have to settle first. However Peters doesn't give me a very settling feeling. And everyone that says just pay him is naive inmy opinion. You honestly think he will just play out this new contract and not be a malcontent in two or three years down the line? At that point maybe LTs are getting 13 million a year from a team like the Redskins or Oakland. If he had gone about this the right way. Shown up last year on time in shape and ready to play. I think he would have already gotten a new deal. The Bills have shown they reward hard working 'team' guys. Sometimes we dont like it, ie Kelsay, Schobel. But they will rework a deal.

Sadly, when it comes to our beloved Bills, doing something this stupid is a distinct possibility.

If Jason Peters is traded, the odds of getting someone in his class to replace him is next to impossible. There is virtually no chance of this given how good he is, as well as where and how the Bills draft. Jason Peters is a member of this team because the Bills are lucky. Sure, he was brought in as a UDFA, but he was also at one point cut. Sorry, it was pure luck.

A smart team would rip up his old contract and pay him what he deserves. If it takes 10 million or a little more per year, that's what they should do. The Bills, with Trent, TO, Evans and Lynch have the potential to be a potent, exciting offense. A coach and front office with any sort of brain would be looking at ways to strengthen a line which is already questionable, instead of getting rid of its strongest component.

When opponents don't fear the run and sacks pile up, people will certainly be blaming Trent instead of the cheap fools who caused this.

Bill, you have so bought the kool aid on Jason Peters. He is an above average OT, and nothing more. Yet he has a terrible attitude and doesn't play with any type of mean streak. You really think he should be the highest or near the highest paid O lineman in the league. Please give it a rest and rethink your position. In the long run the Bills will be much better off trading his big fat ass. Do you really think we would lose much having Langston Walker, Chambers, or Bell play there? I don't. One player will not make or break this team, trust me on that.

Bill, you have so bought the kool aid on Jason Peters. He is an above average OT, and nothing more. Yet he has a terrible attitude and doesn't play with any type of mean streak. You really think he should be the highest or near the highest paid O lineman in the league. Please give it a rest and rethink your position. In the long run the Bills will be much better off trading his big fat ass. Do you really think we would lose much having Langston Walker, Chambers, or Bell play there? I don't. One player will not make or break this team, trust me on that.

You have apparently been the one drinking the kool aid- on Walker. He is a big fat, slow piece of garbage that should have been out of the league years ago. When in condition, Peters has much more explosiveness and pop out of his stance and can get to the next level. Walker an only get to the next level at the buffet line. Chambers or Bell? I don't trust Bell to perform consistently as a backup yet at this stage of his career- give the guy a few years before throwing him to the wolves.

Personally, I don't care where you're from, you still don't understand a lick about football. If you don't understand that a pass rush helps out your defense overall and helps get turnovers and more opportunities for your offense which in turn helps your offense and puts less pressure on them, this conversation is already over. You also [conveniently] ignored the fact that the Bills were 28th in the league in sacks with 24 (compared to the Super Bowl winning Steelers who were 2nd with 51), meaning we weren't getting any pressure on the QB. The tandem of Kelsay/Denney was an embarrassment.

Interesting. You conveniently left out the facts (sack wise) the NY Jets were 7th in the league, the Raiders were 13th, The Seahawks were 10th, the Lions were tied at 16, and the Cowpukes were #1.

How did that work out for all of them?

And the Cardinals? 14th.

There's some truth to the phrase "offense wins games, defense wins championships." Remember the 2007 Super Bowl?? Do they win without the Strahan/Umenyiora/Tuck/Kiwanuka/Alford combo putting pressure on Brady all night? Get a clue, dude.

;)

In order for the Bills defense to "win the championship", the Bills have to make the SB first. In order to make the SB, the have win playoff games. In order to win playoff games, they actually have to make the playoffs. In order to make the playoffs, they actually have to produce a winning record.

Got it?

1. Winning record

2. Make playoffs

3. Win playoff games

4. Make SB

5. Win SB

Unless the pass rushing DE is also a run stuffing DE, then the pass rushing DE is worthless.

Opposing teams will not have to worry about the pass rushing DE when they can just line up and shove the ball down the Bills throat.

I'll worry about a situational (and potentially one dimensional) player like a pass rushing DE as soon as the Bills can do numbers #1 and #2.

But they will never be able to accomplish number 1 and 2 because the FO is too busy fugging up the offensive line.

Interesting. You conveniently left out the facts (sack wise) the NY Jets were 7th in the league, the Raiders were 13th, The Seahawks were 10th, the Lions were tied at 16, and the Cowpukes were #1.

How did that work out for all of them?

And the Cardinals? 14th.

1. Winning record

2. Make playoffs

3. Win playoff games

4. Make SB

5. Win SB

Winning record is #1? How do you go about winning games? That method should be at the top of the list