Just thought I would share my daughter just advanced to the semi final

Inland idol is a singing competition that is similar to "American Idol" except the auditions are held in four different cities in the Inland Empire rather then across the country like American Idol.

There are several age brackets my daughter is 13 and competes in the ages 10-14 bracket. She sang "A moment like This" for this round and did very well.

She has been writing and singing Christian Rock music at her church for a while now......we thought it was time to see where she stood with her peers as she is about to launch a Christian Rock CD and will be touring a lot this summer.

Extremely proud of both of my kids....my son will be going on to play football in college and my daughter will already be making money (and probably slipping some to her brother here and there because that is the type of sister she is.)

Inland idol is a singing competition that is similar to "American Idol" except the auditions are held in four different cities in the Inland Empire rather then across the country like American Idol.

There are several age brackets my daughter is 13 and competes in the ages 10-14 bracket. She sang "A moment like This" for this round and did very well.

She has been writing and singing Christian Rock music at her church for a while now......we thought it was time to see where she stood with her peers as she is about to launch a Christian Rock CD and will be touring a lot this summer.

Extremely proud of both of my kids....my son will be going on to play football in college and my daughter will already be making money (and probably slipping some to her brother here and there because that is the type of sister she is.)

Props to you and your daughter. It's nice to hear good news. Hope she continues to do well.

The whole thing was a really interesting experience........she didn't want to enter her own school's talent show (she hates her school and everything in it......we might be coming very close to a crossroads of how we are going to handle her education) but instead chose to enter a huge competition where she would face much better young entertainers. A lot of the kids she was up against were already very accomplished and had entered several smaller competitions before doing Inland Idol. But I guess this is just how she rolls...;)

We get there very early thinking the line is going to be long and end up being second in line. This is where me and my wife got the first taste of the crazyness that child talent brings out of people. My daughter started up a conversation with the girl competeting on front of her and they were hitting it off nicely....then from out of nowhere the mom starts talking for the kid making sure that we knew her daughter was going to win this competition and spitting out her kids resume without us asking for it (singing for carnival cruise lines, auditioning for america's got talent, etc etc) apparently she spent most of her time running her kid from event to event hoping that lightning strikes. She became unbarable within about 2 minutes and we got out of line and went for a coffee then came back (she was doing the same thing to the next unfortunate group when we got back.) In the end her daughter didn't make the cut and she seemed like a really nice girl so I felt bad.

This is why I dont get involved (her uncle handles everything.....we wouldn't let her be with anyone but family so it is good situation) we are just there for moral support, pay whater bills arise, and tell her she does a good job after she does something.

She sang "A moment like this" which happens to be a favorite of mine I am not sure what she will do for the next round.

Isn't that like advancing to the ice hockey semis in the Virgin Islands?

Just a bust on the IE from an ex-OCer.

Props to your daughter!

;)

They actually have Orange County talent competing to. They just call it "Inland" idol......they are from all over the place. One of the winners from last year was from Minnosota for crying out loud.

The whole thing was a really interesting experience........she didn't want to enter her own school's talent show (she hates her school and everything in it......we might be coming very close to a crossroads of how we are going to handle her education) but instead chose to enter a huge competition where she would face much better young entertainers. A lot of the kids she was up against were already very accomplished and had entered several smaller competitions before doing Inland Idol. But I guess this is just how she rolls...:doh:

We get there very early thinking the line is going to be long and end up being second in line. This is where me and my wife got the first taste of the crazyness that child talent brings out of people. My daughter started up a conversation with the girl competeting on front of her and they were hitting it off nicely....then from out of nowhere the mom starts talking for the kid making sure that we knew her daughter was going to win this competition and spitting out her kids resume without us asking for it (singing for carnival cruise lines, auditioning for america's got talent, etc etc) apparently she spent most of her time running her kid from event to event hoping that lightning strikes. She became unbarable within about 2 minutes and we got out of line and went for a coffee then came back (she was doing the same thing to the next unfortunate group when we got back.) In the end her daughter didn't make the cut and she seemed like a really nice girl so I felt bad.

This is why I dont get involved (her uncle handles everything.....we wouldn't let her be with anyone but family so it is good situation) we are just there for moral support, pay whater bills arise, and tell her she does a good job after she does something.

She sang "A moment like this" which happens to be a favorite of mine I am not sure what she will do for the next round.

I hope her mother was understanding and supportive but something tells me that's not the case.

Just thought I would share my daughter just advanced to the semi final, of "Inland Idol"

Because you're a really nice guy I won't joke about the "Just thought I would share my daughter.." thing. After all you'd have to be a real low life to point something like that out. ;)

Anyhoo, congrats!!!

I hope her mother was understanding and supportive but something tells me that's not the case.

Just thought I would share my daughter just advanced to the semi final, of "Inland Idol"

Because you're a really nice guy I won't joke about the "Just thought I would share my daughter.." thing. After all you'd have to be a real low life to point something like that out. :doh:

Anyhoo, congrats!!!

;) I really need to learn how to choose my words better......

And no I am betting that she was not supportive.....the mother did not come across that way to me.

The whole thing was a really interesting experience........she didn't want to enter her own school's talent show (she hates her school and everything in it......we might be coming very close to a crossroads of how we are going to handle her education) but instead chose to enter a huge competition where she would face much better young entertainers. A lot of the kids she was up against were already very accomplished and had entered several smaller competitions before doing Inland Idol. But I guess this is just how she rolls...:beer:

You should have started bragging about how good your son can shoot the A-Gap, and create a QB pressure while playing to shut her up real fast.

That's great, John. It must be nice to have talented children.

I haven't read a recent update on your son (I must have missed one or two). How'd he do, this season?

That's awesome bro'!!!!! I actually do Christian Hip-Hop music :beer: It's not a full-time career yet, but I know that God hasn't given all of it to me not to be put to use.

That's great, John. It must be nice to have talented children.

I haven't read a recent update on your son (I must have missed one or two). How'd he do, this season?

Dean.....his junior year he had 7 sacks and about 60 tackles switching back and forth from DE to DT. About a month and a half ago he got invited to a underclassman combine where the top underclassman went from this area. Performed well but the fact of the matter is he is a LB who can rush the passer and cover not a DE......easily the smallest DE on the field even though he really got after it in pass rush drills. His school wont play him at his proper position because they need linemen badly......so he will continue to hit the combines and show that he can play LB.

That's awesome bro'!!!!! I actually do Christian Hip-Hop music :lol: It's not a full-time career yet, but I know that God hasn't given all of it to me not to be put to use.

H2O,

That is great that you are in that area....my daughter Ashlee will probably stay in this area as well. We feel that there is a real market in christian rock/pop that Ashlee wants to "revolutionize" the market. There is just so so much sex, drugs, more sex, violence that if a alternative music is good people will want something different. The fact that she is so young adds to the "nich" she is trying to create. The other thing that has been really great about all this is that it is a family act. I never have to worry about her being exploited. Her Uncle spends countless hours coaching and promoting her and has never taken a dime in return. Someday when she does take off (which might be soon) we will definately make sure he is taken care of.......probably at whatever percentage a manager takes.

My daughter is really just doing Inland Idol for exposure and if she were to win Inland Idol (that would be huge given it is first competition) she would literally pass along the prize to the runner up (the prize is a chance to record a professional demo) because she already has a 3 song CD in the works with Sony records (she writes some of her own music) that is going to get put on show this summer. She is going to be traveling to churches, church conferences, radio stations that play christian pop/rock etc.

The Inland Idol accolades just add to her resume a bit.

H2O,

That is great that you are in that area....my daughter Ashlee will probably stay in this area as well. We feel that there is a real market in christian rock/pop that Ashlee wants to "revolutionize" the market. There is just so so much sex, drugs, more sex, violence that if a alternative music is good people will want something different. The fact that she is so young adds to the "nich" she is trying to create. The other thing that has been really great about all this is that it is a family act. I never have to worry about her being exploited. Her Uncle spends countless hours coaching and promoting her and has never taken a dime in return. Someday when she does take off (which might be soon) we will definately make sure he is taken care of.......probably at whatever percentage a manager takes.

My daughter is really just doing Inland Idol for exposure and if she were to win Inland Idol (that would be huge given it is first competition) she would literally pass along the prize to the runner up (the prize is a chance to record a professional demo) because she already has a 3 song CD in the works with Sony records (she writes some of her own music) that is going to get put on show this summer. She is going to be traveling to churches, church conferences, radio stations that play christian pop/rock etc.

The Inland Idol accolades just add to her resume a bit.

Once again I say AWESOME!!! :lol: I have recorded 3 tracks also, but have about 16 in the works. I have like 10 finished completely, but haven't had a chance to record everything yet. That stuff is REALLY expensive to get it done right. I had the first tracks I recorded put on a mixtape called "Global Takeover Vol.1" and my friend who put it together got rid of a ton of copies at the HHH conference down in Atlanta, GA. I actually don't even listen to any HHH like talking about. I just want to be some one that a person could pop in a CD and let it ride, ya know. Something that's hot and it's feeding the spirit. Mostly I listen to Christian alternative or contemporary music like Fireflight, Superchick, The Benjamin Gate, Plumb, Pax 217, Pillar, Rebecca St. James, Nichole Nordeman, Jeremy Camp, Casting Crowns, Brandon Heath, Newsboys, and stuff like that. I also have a plethora of Hillsong CD's that I listen to alot. I don't listen to any secular radio anymore. I also had to throw out about 300 or so CD's that I had over the years. People say that I'm crazy for doing it, but whatever. That's really cool though about your daughter. I pray the best for you and your fam and if you're in VA maybe we could get her to come by Crossraods in Petersburg, VA to sing on a Saturday at our "Impact Kidz" youth ministry. Peace and God Bless :lol:

Dean.....his junior year he had 7 sacks and about 60 tackles switching back and forth from DE to DT. About a month and a half ago he got invited to a underclassman combine where the top underclassman went from this area. Performed well but the fact of the matter is he is a LB who can rush the passer and cover not a DE......easily the smallest DE on the field even though he really got after it in pass rush drills. His school wont play him at his proper position because they need linemen badly......so he will continue to hit the combines and show that he can play LB.

Thanks, John. Too bad he has to play out of position, but consider it a lesson in doing what it takes to help the team. I'm sure his talent will be noticed.

It's great to hear the kids are doing so well.

Once again I say AWESOME!!! :devil: I have recorded 3 tracks also, but have about 16 in the works. I have like 10 finished completely, but haven't had a chance to record everything yet. That stuff is REALLY expensive to get it done right. I had the first tracks I recorded put on a mixtape called "Global Takeover Vol.1" and my friend who put it together got rid of a ton of copies at the HHH conference down in Atlanta, GA. I actually don't even listen to any HHH like talking about. I just want to be some one that a person could pop in a CD and let it ride, ya know. Something that's hot and it's feeding the spirit. Mostly I listen to Christian alternative or contemporary music like Fireflight, Superchick, The Benjamin Gate, Plumb, Pax 217, Pillar, Rebecca St. James, Nichole Nordeman, Jeremy Camp, Casting Crowns, Brandon Heath, Newsboys, and stuff like that. I also have a plethora of Hillsong CD's that I listen to alot. I don't listen to any secular radio anymore. I also had to throw out about 300 or so CD's that I had over the years. People say that I'm crazy for doing it, but whatever. That's really cool though about your daughter. I pray the best for you and your fam and if you're in VA maybe we could get her to come by Crossraods in Petersburg, VA to sing on a Saturday at our "Impact Kidz" youth ministry. Peace and God Bless :lol:

I have to be honest I dont know who most of those performers are.....and to be further honest I dont just listen to Christian music (I do like a mix of everything) but just a microcosim of what I was saying before: The other day I was dropping my son off at one of his friends houses and this family and their freinds are a pretty rough bunch (bikers, mexican gang members hang out and stop by all the time over there because they are family.

So the father is underneath his truck working on something......and you would have thought some crazy ACDC type music or something like that would be blaring......nope it was my daughters promo CD that she made when she was 12. He stops and takes a break and says hi to me. I ask him "you really like that cd?" he says "I love it. When I just want to mello out I put this on and it just makes me feel better"

That is exactly the type of affect my daughter wants to have with her music......as her uncle used to say when she sings "Jesus take the Wheel" at church if there is one eye in the crowd that isn't watering then she didn't sing it right. There are some things that she needs to work on. The first is she cant dance for crap.....I mean she is as bad as me. She also asked for a keyboard for Christmas which I happily obliged and now she doesn't know how to use it properly and she needs instruction on that.

Thanks, John. Too bad he has to play out of position, but consider it a lesson in doing what it takes to help the team. I'm sure his talent will be noticed.

It's great to hear the kids are doing so well.

Its a little frustrating on the position part. When he was at the underclassmen combine he was jumping back and forth from DE to LB in the drills so he could get some work in on pass rush (DE's) and pass coverage (LB)

He got in 3 reps at pass rush

- The first he beat the tackle before he got his hand off the ground......the OL was beaten so quickly that he tripped over his own feet and fell down.

- On the second he took an outside rush which if he had stayed with it probably would have gotten the sack on the backside of the play but instead used a freeney spin move which almost worked but the OL reached out and tackled him....jesus it looked like a mother bear nursing one of her cubs or something

- On the 3rd rush he got owned by a OT who had good feet and was able to wall him off

In coverage at LB he drew a running back who was VERY fast and had been burning the LB's all day. He got 4 reps at that

- On the first the RB tried to change is angle to avoid his chip.....this caused the timing to be bad and even though the RB could have gotten to the ball had he stretched out for it he didnt'....incomplete

- On the second drill my son got a GOOD chip on the RB and knocked him down....resulting in a "sack"

- On the third drill the RB tried to shove my son off to get open......but all that ended up causing himself to get slowed down and the ball was thrown too far

- On the fourth drill the RB was able to get a clean release....and he got deep.....but my son closed the distance while the ball was in the air and beat the RB in a jump ball situation in the end zone (my son is an outside hitter on the varsity volleyball team...he has a really good vertical) he jumped up and knocked it down

OK so......he walks out of the combine kinda miffed because these are supposed be some of the best linebackers in Southern California.....he is faster then most.....covers better then most......I dont know how the others were in run support but Brett is an absolute beast in that area. But for some reason he can convince his high school team to play him at his best postiion. He will probably be around 6' 1" and 220 pounds his senior year and that just doenst cut it as a DE when you are trying to get a scholarship.

-

That is exactly the type of affect my daughter wants to have with her music......as her uncle used to say when she sings "Jesus take the Wheel" at church if there is one eye in the crowd that isn't watering then she didn't sing it right.

Good for her .. nice to hear that the good guys girls win. You have every right to be proud. :devil: